Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IGN's WipEout PurE review is in!

PSN ID
    Hybrid_Divide

Default IGN's WipEout PurE review is in!

http://psp.ign.com/articles/597/597359p1.html

And just look at that score!

Best PSP rating to date!

What a happy day indeed!

PSN ID
    Hybrid_Divide

Oh yeah.... I almost forgot...

EDITOR'S CHOICE!

======
    EDIT: How could I forget to congratulate Studio Liverpool!

You've done it!
    ======
    PS: Lance, I'll just post such corrections under an edited post next time, instead of adding another post too soon.

PSN ID
    Hellfire_WZ

Wow... 8O Now I REALLY want this game! Let's hope all the other reviewers agree.

PSN ID
    Galeforce43

wow, that's something serious right there I just scanned through it, though i'll read through properly later. Oh and congrats to studio liverpool like, that's a review to be proud of

9.3!!! Wow. I must say, congratulations are in order. Well Done!

we are suitably proud and humbled and happy

ops:

It's IGN though, guys. A site not exactly adverse to giving out high marks and glowing reviews.

Still - good reviews for Pure are nice to see and a growing indication the game's something special.

The real test will come from more critical places such as Gamecritics and the like. I eagerly anticipate the Edge review too. I'm hoping (and expecting to an extent after reading this month's preview) for the game to get 9/10.

PSN ID
    Galeforce43

9/10 from edge eh? While i'm hardly a regular reader of edge magazine, the highest I ever remember seeing in edge is 8 and even then it was rare, purE would have to be going some for a nine, let's hope though eh?

PSN ID
    infoxicated

To say that IGN review was hastily written would be like saying Michael Jackson might have had some work done here and there. Lets hope they clean it up in the cold light of day.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimension
    9/10 from edge eh? While i'm hardly a regular reader of edge magazine, the highest I ever remember seeing in edge is 8 and even then it was rare, purE would have to be going some for a nine, let's hope though eh?
    Yes.

Wipeout 2097 was awarded 9/10 if I remember correctly.

Generally most of the Wipeout games have been well received in the magazine.

I think that regardless of the questioning IGN reviews have to some, my opinion is that reviews on IGN are usually mainstream, not completely accurate, but in essence they are true, informative, descriptive and usually objective (depending on the author).

You have to consider reviews on sites like IGN are a little bit rushed (they post reviews really quick even if they are sent copies early) due to their high reputation and the fact that they are very popular, which also indicates good things coming for pure - i think i dont need to tell you this.

So they are more an elaborate first impression (to our eyes), even if they go through the game completely, i assure you theres a low chance they have played Wipeout games as much or as focused as any of the regular members of the WZ community, so you cant be THAT picky guys/gals ....

In a nutshell, its a great omen of the future of Pure!!, congratulations to the entire Pure team!!!

From what i have seen i have similar opinions about Pure, it really looks good, from what i have heard from the music and sounds are good too, some other little details of aestethically opinions are subjective, but the thing i really need to test is gameplay!, and its got a good review on that, congrats Colin if you are reading this!

Lots of new videos there too, the best looking I've seen yet. They're all in first person on one track and they actually uploaded an entire race to watch. It's hard to believe, but this looks almost if not AS good as Fusion, at least from the videos. Combine that with the gameplay we've been waiting for, well. Slam dunk.

PSN ID
    VHX1138: PSP, PS3, PS4, PS5, Steam

Sorry to say, but to me, the graphics alone look better than Fusion. The water reflects off of the track, the lighting is very much like the time it's placed (morning sun rays versus daylight), this game looks beautiful. I love, I love, and I love. I can't wait to race everyone (in the U.S.) on Wipeout Pure, it's gonna be awesome. I think I'm just in shock right now (siriously), but if this wasn't happening all so fast, I would be FREAKN' HISTATIC!!!!! Thanx sooooo much Colin and all other designers!!!!!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

Hey, congrats Liverpool, the review sounds really good!

Lets hope there aren't any slowdowns anywhere in the game, the can bring the gaming fun down to 0. :roll:

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

Take a look at the 1st movie at the 2nd page! you can see the 360° thing!!!! WOOOHOOO!!!! What's going on there!? This game is not normal!!

I NEED PURE!!! 8O

Just been watching the new movies on gamespot and IGN. This game looks insane.

Definitely has 2097's overall feel to it.

And I agree, the barrel roll (360 degree turn) looks amazingly good.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

It does. I just hope it doesn't distract from generally trying to keep the craft on the right line, but I'm sure they figured it out just fine. Yet I was wondering: Why add the maneuver in the first place? Was it to just have something unique in Pure? Was it something that simply occured to someone as being cool to have it? Or could it be there to make players try getting the boost instead of taking shortcuts?
    Oh, and yes, zone mode looks incredibly cool and stylish!

Ben

I think it's to partly create a risk/reward system. Sometimes in Wipeout 3, the fact you could drain your energy to speed up made the game a little easy in parts.

Here to speed up, you're faced with having to use a dangerous move to do so, which means you can't use it on turns and such like. You have to be careful in choosing when to speed up, which hopefully should encourage the player to put more thought in to boosting.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

Whereas I have to say I am usually no big fan of this sort of special moves, since they distract from the "pure racing" formula. Also, imagining a real world where something like Wipeout exists, ships rolling in mid-air must look strange, to say the least. Anyway, I'm not complaining here, just throwing in two cents no one will be interested in. :)

Ben

I can see where you're coming from, but you could also use that argument against use of weapons such as the quake bomb. We'll soon see how it works in-game and if it benefits the gameplay when impressions from people here start coming in.