Review : First impression of Wipeout 64

5.1 Surround Sound /w Bass
No memory card /cry
Single Races : Venom and Phantom only
Craft : Qirex (Qirex junkie here) with an exception for Challenges.
Catch Up : Off
Weapons : On
Scraping : Simply and explicitly, I frown upon scraping. However, considering I'm not used to N64 controllers (which I got used to it rather quickly) I did a bit of scraping, so don't boo me just yet!
Playtime : 3 to 5 hours
Mutiplayer : I don't have any friends.

I'm just going to stick to the point so I don't waste everyones time, however, if anyone wants a positive oppinion about this game, you will want to take a look at what I'm going say or at least point people in this direction. I'll be writing an in-depth review (once I have my memory card *laughs*).

Just a note concerning how I view things and such. I always have a positive attitude towards anything and everything. I don't judge games too much by their graphics, just how the game is meant to be played and we wipers know what that means when it comes to a Wipeout game (except Fusion). I've owned this game since it was released, however, I just bought the N64 today, so I'm not really "late" in a way. I do understand most people don't want to put out money for an N64 just for one game, but I really wanted to play 64 regardless since I've been a Wipeout fan since the release of the series, and this is the game that got me started on electronic music, which is a big influence on me, especially Tim Wright (Cold Storage).

// Game //

Overall, I am impressed, especially for a N64 game. If you're thinking it's the same as Wipeout XL/2097, it is conceptually, but the features are completely different in this game. 7 exclusive tracks for N64, different musical score, much more options which I'll get to later. It uses Super Weapons introduced in W-Fusion, and one weapon is the "Energy Wall"(blocks/stops ships coming towards it, but I can't find the manual to say the proper name *laughs* ) which was introduced in WO3.

// Tracks //

Getting a hold of 7 new tracks was a big one for me and actually wish some of these tracks were implimented into the WO XL/2097 game for the PS1. I must say though, these tracks seem like they were simplified to be straightways (a majority) for easier control with the N64 controller, which I see no problems with.

One track in particular got my attention which is now considered my favorite next to Qoron IV. Machaon II. After going through the W64 forums here at WipeoutZone (Have not looked at the old forums) I didn't see any post concerning this particular track which I would like to bring up. Straight out, Machaon II is in some way, the opposite version of Gare d'Europa. Not as flashy and fun but certainly made me relive my moments I usually have on Gare d'Europa which is my favorite track in Wipeout XL/2097. Anyone who has W64 should look into it and the first part of that track is exactly like Europa, just opposite (There's more but I'll let you all figure that out). I find Machaon II the most challenging because it's the one track that has the most corner turns which I hold in high regard for especially getting the best "feel" of the turns with Qirex/Qirex-RD (especially in Phantom )

// Random Thoughts //

- Female Voice! ^-^
- Favorite Tracks : Qoron IV and Machaon II
- Favorite Music : Goodnight Lover and Tomorrow Reborn
- (My only Rant atm) Concerning the Piranha II Team : I frown upon it. In my oppinion, It doesn't add any challenge and basically ruins the game, so it practically doesn't exist to me.
- Shields instantly recharge to full when entering the "Pit"
- First time using analog control which I was forced to learn but got used to rather quickly starting with Venom Class.
- I prefer Wipeout XL/2097 over this for many reasons but this is at least a different Wipeout game.
- Don't think about Wipeout 64 being on Nintendo 64, but rather a different wipeout because the feel is present.
- If you like straightway racing without doing too much handling, this is a great game for you.

I'll be posting more later on, feel free to give your input.