Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: W64 : First Impressions

Default W64 : First Impressions

Review : First impression of Wipeout 64

5.1 Surround Sound /w Bass
    No memory card /cry
    Single Races : Venom and Phantom only
    Craft : Qirex (Qirex junkie here) with an exception for Challenges.
    Catch Up : Off
    Weapons : On
    Scraping : Simply and explicitly, I frown upon scraping. However, considering I'm not used to N64 controllers (which I got used to it rather quickly) I did a bit of scraping, so don't boo me just yet!
    Playtime : 3 to 5 hours
    Mutiplayer : I don't have any friends.

I'm just going to stick to the point so I don't waste everyones time, however, if anyone wants a positive oppinion about this game, you will want to take a look at what I'm going say or at least point people in this direction. I'll be writing an in-depth review (once I have my memory card *laughs*).

Just a note concerning how I view things and such. I always have a positive attitude towards anything and everything. I don't judge games too much by their graphics, just how the game is meant to be played and we wipers know what that means when it comes to a Wipeout game (except Fusion). I've owned this game since it was released, however, I just bought the N64 today, so I'm not really "late" in a way. I do understand most people don't want to put out money for an N64 just for one game, but I really wanted to play 64 regardless since I've been a Wipeout fan since the release of the series, and this is the game that got me started on electronic music, which is a big influence on me, especially Tim Wright (Cold Storage).

// Game //

Overall, I am impressed, especially for a N64 game. If you're thinking it's the same as Wipeout XL/2097, it is conceptually, but the features are completely different in this game. 7 exclusive tracks for N64, different musical score, much more options which I'll get to later. It uses Super Weapons introduced in W-Fusion, and one weapon is the "Energy Wall"(blocks/stops ships coming towards it, but I can't find the manual to say the proper name *laughs* ) which was introduced in WO3.

// Tracks //

Getting a hold of 7 new tracks was a big one for me and actually wish some of these tracks were implimented into the WO XL/2097 game for the PS1. I must say though, these tracks seem like they were simplified to be straightways (a majority) for easier control with the N64 controller, which I see no problems with.

One track in particular got my attention which is now considered my favorite next to Qoron IV. Machaon II. After going through the W64 forums here at WipeoutZone (Have not looked at the old forums) I didn't see any post concerning this particular track which I would like to bring up. Straight out, Machaon II is in some way, the opposite version of Gare d'Europa. Not as flashy and fun but certainly made me relive my moments I usually have on Gare d'Europa which is my favorite track in Wipeout XL/2097. Anyone who has W64 should look into it and the first part of that track is exactly like Europa, just opposite (There's more but I'll let you all figure that out). I find Machaon II the most challenging because it's the one track that has the most corner turns which I hold in high regard for especially getting the best "feel" of the turns with Qirex/Qirex-RD (especially in Phantom )

// Random Thoughts //

- Female Voice! ^-^
    - Favorite Tracks : Qoron IV and Machaon II
    - Favorite Music : Goodnight Lover and Tomorrow Reborn
    - (My only Rant atm) Concerning the Piranha II Team : I frown upon it. In my oppinion, It doesn't add any challenge and basically ruins the game, so it practically doesn't exist to me.
    - Shields instantly recharge to full when entering the "Pit"
    - First time using analog control which I was forced to learn but got used to rather quickly starting with Venom Class.
    - I prefer Wipeout XL/2097 over this for many reasons but this is at least a different Wipeout game.
    - Don't think about Wipeout 64 being on Nintendo 64, but rather a different wipeout because the feel is present.
    - If you like straightway racing without doing too much handling, this is a great game for you.

I'll be posting more later on, feel free to give your input.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    zargz

Default Re: W64 : First Impressions

Quote Originally Posted by silaris
    .. It uses Super Weapons introduced in W-Fusion, and one weapon is the "Energy Wall"(blocks/stops ships coming towards it, but I can't find the manual to say the proper name *laughs* ) which was introduced in WO3..
    Both weapons were introduced in .. .. wo64!!
    which was released before both wo3 and fusion!
    the wo3 challenges came from there(wo64) as well!

Preaterea censeo autopilotum esse delandam

now, there's some info I didn't know about...

WO64 and super weapons, huh? 7 new tracks? I knew there was Piranha II Team (that was or wasn't allowed to use weapons, i don't remember exactly), and that's that.

silaris:
    could you please present these super weapons? Now that i know about them i need to know everything about them. And the new tracks, are they just variations of WOXL/2097 tracks? Or just completely new tracks? Must know, must know.......

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

COMPLETELY different tracks, and great ones! These alone made it worth buying the console just for the game. :) Super weapons are very effective, yet apart from that I found them to be rather unspectacular. Sorry though that I can't name all of them right now, maybe someone else can. And yes, PiranhaII is now more of a normal ship than it had been in 2097. I still like it's in there as sort of a bonus, because after all, WO64 is nothing less than a 2097 spin-off.
    N64s are about 20 Euros these days, WO64 maybe 10 to 15. You better get both and start flying again. :) Even though I detest the N64 controller. :-(

Oh, and just one more thing that hasn't received much attention yet: WO64 has one great soundtrack! They actually got licensed music packed into the cartridge with almost keeping CD quality (and yes, silaris is right, Goodnight Lover is one of the best tracks to ever appear in a Wipeout game!).

Ben

Completely new(different) courses :
    - Klies Bridge
    - Qoron IV
    - Sokana
    - Dyroness
    - Machaon II
    - Terafumos
    - Velocitar (Hidden Course)

Kiles Bridge happens to be in close resemblence to Talon's Reach, opposite.
    Machaon II is close in resemblence to Gare d'Europa, opposite.

Super Weapons :

Feisar : Machine Gun
    Auto shoots bullets like the plasma gun? in Fusion.

AG Systems : Shield Raider
    Drains all shield energy from target locked in front of you.

Auricom : Energy Sphere
    Similar to Plasma Bolt in WO3.

Qirex : Power Snare
    The "Shield Wall" I spoke of that's in WO3 inhibiting ships that hit the barrier.

Piranha II : Stealth Mode
    Self explainitory.

@zargz thanks!, sometimes playing too much gets in the way of thinking, lol and I can't get to the challenges yet, at least not till i have a memory card

I really should give this another try, actually (although that involves digging out the N64. Not the end of the world, given that Mario64 is possibly the greatest game ever). At the time, I really, really didn't get on with it. I loved the analogue handling, the music is nice, and the new tracks have some good bits to them. But the draw distance on your rivals is so poor I was continually crashing into the back of them, to the extent that I just found it unplayable.

PSN ID
    Hybrid_Divide

*Would LOVE to see Terafumos in a new WipEout game.*

//WipEout 64 rocks.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

Quote Originally Posted by mid
    But the draw distance on your rivals is so poor I was continually crashing into the back of them
    One of the few annoyances with the game, yes. :( It's not so much the drawing distance, though, but the fact that the other crafts can hardly be distinguished from the background and have no engine trails.

Ben

i find that same difficulty of distinguishing ships from background in 2097/XL, especially in the start/finish areas with all that checkerboard pattern making it hard to see when overtaking a backmarker just before the finish of the last lap. very annoying. bonk... there goes my new record time

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

Good thing I don't go for records in Single Races. ;) Seriously though, I never found it difficult to spot crafts in any Wipeout other than 64. At the very least then you will probably be shocked by how MUCH worse ships can be seen should you ever play WO64. ;)

for the last year, i've raced without my contact lenses in, and i consequently have a very narrow range of focus [depth of field] when racing. just a few inches shift in position makes everything go all fuzzy, so anything small and at all indistinct gets lost in the field of unsharpness

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    zargz

statement >> Good thing you know the XL & wo3 tracks by now then!
    hint >> go for TT - no opponents there! :mrgreen:
    jk

i only got to know XL this past year, with the contact lenses out.
    uh.. have you looked at the XL tables lately?

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    zargz

well, what do ya know! Impressive! Well done!

Just got my memory card so I'm digging deeper into 64 and enjoying it quite a bit, but just a word of warning for those who havn't played 64. Play XL/2097 first, it may just be me, but somehow the speed of 64 seems a bit faster, possibly due to higher framerates, because after playing 64... XL/2097 is different experience.

It's hard shifting from the analog stick / higher framerates? to d'pad control and such, unless it's just me.

As for banging into the back of ships often is true enough an annoyance, but I also find the tree's blocking the view of the Machaon II track pretty annoying as well. Also, when it keeps asking me to place a rumble pack into the controller is kind of getting on my nerves as well...lol

Referring to XL/2097, i'm sure it's the fact that I havn't played it in awhile that's making it "feel" different from 64. I'll have to dig in XL/2097 when I get a chance.

@zargz Translate "Preaterea censeo autopilotum esse delandam" for me please Just curious

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

but somehow the speed of 64 seems a bit faster
    Yep, it is that. Also, controls are tighter, so the whole experience seems more challenging. The latter, of course, MIGHT have something to do with the aweful N64 controller and the fact that, even when played on an emulator with whatever control device you chose, the game is indeed less forgiving then 2097.

Also, when it keeps asking me to place a rumble pack into the controller is kind of getting on my nerves as well...lol
    But then skipping the "rumble pack compatible" screen still gets you faster into the race than 2097, thanks to hardly recognizable loading times. ;) Rest assured though, I understand very well what you mean. :)

Referring to XL/2097, i'm sure it's the fact that I havn't played it in awhile that's making it "feel" different from 64. I'll have to dig in XL/2097 when I get a chance.
    You do that. You'll see that 64 is indeed much different from 2097, given they are both variations of the same game, so to speak.

Ben

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    zargz

@zargz Translate "Preaterea censeo autopilotum esse delandam" for me please Just curious
    ' Praeterea censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.
    Furthermore, I believe Carthage should be destroyed.
    (Cato the Elder. After a journey to Carthage, the Roman senator concluded every speech before the senate with this phrase, no matter the topic of discussion.)'
    I just changed a word there - made the expression mine heh!
    here's where the frase came from! >> http://www.wsu.edu:8080/~dee/ROME/PUNICWAR.HTM
    here's from zee top! Get educated for knowledge is power! :mrgreen: -> http://www.wsu.edu:8080/~dee/ROME/HISTORY.HTM

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    xEik

Quote Originally Posted by zargz
    Praeterea censeo Carthaginem esse delendam
    [...]
    Trying not to be to picky but I think you should revise your sig. It doesn't match with the quote you wrote (correctly) in the previous post.
    Praeterea censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    zargz

yeah you are right! I noticed that too.. :roll:
    NowI know why it didnt feel right pronoucing it!

Praeterea censeo autopilotum esse delendam

PSN ID
    Axellink

Yeah this is the game that introduced me to the world of Wipeout in the first place. I just like to add that this game had some fantastic tracks!!! Terofumos and Velocitor!!!!!!!!!!! Now Velocitor was a speed devils ultimate dream man. Oh and the soundtrack to the game really did kick some serious ass. I'm just a bit sad that we will never see these tracks over on a PS incarnation