Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: PSP...

PSN ID
    VHX1138: PSP, PS3, PS4, PS5, Steam

The question was asked, but I see no numbers. I can't get on Wipeout Pure's dang site because my mom has adult lock on (and I'm 17, will turn 18 in June). This is rediculous!!!! : I'll ask her when she gets home tonight. Still, does anyone know the range?

Default PSP WiFi range

Greetings all.

WiFi range is pretty tricky to set a limit on because it depends on so many things. Like what is between you and the other PSP or your WiFi router/hotspot, and if there is anything nearby that would produce interference (like wireless phones or microwaves).

My PSP can pick up WiFi signals at about a range of 100-150m from my house, but I would say that if you figured on a 100m open air limit you would be about right. Indoor is very difficult to judge since it depends on what the building is made of and what it inside of it. In a normal house you should be fine around the house and in your front or back yard.

Quote Originally Posted by Chill
    I'd hate to be stuck staring into the computer waiting for someone to come along and play me.
    Unfortunaltely since there is no internet based multiplayer in Pure (that we know of) if you use tunneling software to play over the internet you will be tied pretty closely to your computer until you begin the game. Then you can move anywhere with in your WiFi range

And 8 players in an LAN connection! How possible is that? :wink:
    Very possible

Assuming you can get 8 people either in the same physical space or over the tunneling software (I am not sure if there is a limit on the number of players in a tunnel).

hi Salt|Ultra, welcome to the forums.

100 meters, eh? seems a bit limiting.

could you please explain to my ignorant self what tunneling software is for and how it works?

Hi thanks, nice place you guys got here

I am not sure if 100m is the drop dead limit, it is as far as I can go.

As for tunneling software, I can try. :wink:

It seems to be a way to trick your PSP in to thinking it is within WiFi range of another PSP when in reality the signal is converted/intercepted by a piece of software and then carried over the internet. The software runs on your PC so that is why you would need to sit close to your computer to start a race, but there is no cable or other connection between you PSP and your computer (just the WiFi connection between your PSP and your router). All players in a tunneled match need to run the software (except for players that are within regular WiFi range, I think you can mix and match. I'm not sure ).

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

This all sounds very complex, I'm not sure if anyone living in this area is a Wipeout fan so tunnelling if available it is, stupid Sony if only this were on the PS2, does anyone else feel like they owe us another console Wipeout since they messed up so bad?

thanks Salt|Ultra. that's clear and quick. i understand. at least i understand everything but why it's called 'tunnelling'

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

Assagai: Why do you say they messed us up? I think they did what they could considering. Let's just hope Pure is going to be a success so we get another PSP Wipeout. If that should happen, we can all scream very loud after online play for the sequel. :) And I don't think tunneling is difficult. You just need to run the software and be in touch with your computer. I think that's fine, should it ever work at all.

Lance: I understand that the "free" WiFi signal gets tunneled as soon as it enters wires connected to the internet.

Salt|Ultra: And a welcome from me as well. Have fun here (you will). :)

Ben

I'll be getting Pure the second it's out, but since i'm on the second shipment of PSPs, i'll be digesting the manual pretty much and saying "this disc is so shiny and it's my first mini disc!" and most importantly, "It's Wipeout!" So no word on when the next shipment will be in for me, but I certainly look forward to it, I'll just have to play all the wipeout games I have till Pure is finally in my hands, sitting in the corner next to the power outlet hoping I won't drain all the electricity from the neighborhood.

PSN ID

Salt|Ultra, Welcome!!! Yer, um, very smart with technology. What kind of class would you go to in college to learn all that stuff? I, in a dream, would love to help design a Wipeout game. I wouldn't care how much schooling I'd have to go through, Wipeout is so much fun for me!! And, tunnelling sounds very familiar. Do you know how long it has existed before they've actually used it for games?
    --
    Silaris, are you new. If you are, welcome to you too!!! If not, forget me. :wink:

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Quote Originally Posted by G'Kyl
    Assagai: Why do you say they messed us up? I think they did what they could considering.
    uh, you say Fusion was the best they could do, I think they could have done a little better..

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

Oh, but I was thinking you referred to Pure, not Fusion. Sorry that. :)

Silaris, : , yeah, PSP is only a wild fantasy for me, so i'll be sitting next to that outlet in the other corner playing XL and 3. lucky they're still so great.

welcome to the WZ

Salt|Ultra, Welcome!!! Yer, um, very smart with technology. What kind of class would you go to in college to learn all that stuff? I, in a dream, would love to help design a Wipeout game. I wouldn't care how much schooling I'd have to go through, Wipeout is so much fun for me!! And, tunnelling sounds very familiar. Do you know how long it has existed before they've actually used it for games?
    Wow ops: Thanks!

For tunneling and the networking stuff, you wil need a good base of computer and information science classes. But if what you really want to do is work on the design of Wipeout or other videogames, then I think you would need good art and design classes, in addition to some multimedia and programming classes. I don't know much about what you would need really, but I'm sure someone here does or talk to a good advisor in college.

Tunneling has been around for a long time. It is a pretty generic term used to describe the process of taking data streams/network protocols and transporting them via a network they were not designed to run over. Also it is used to describe the process used by VPNs (VPN=Virtual Private Network). In a VPN your data is encrypted and converted for transport over a public network.

PSN ID

Thanx a lot for the info!!! :wink: I'll certainly put it to use. And if I do make a Wipeout game, it's gonna be AWESOME!!!!!! That must be where I heard tunnelling, thanks again!!

thanks to Ben and Salt|Ultra for the tunneling info

PSN ID
    stin_wz

Default I`m back after a stoopid virus (>_<)

I`m back after two bloody toture weeks!! : cos my first shop which I`ve thought it was closed down so I decided to try another local shop and been there for nearly two weeks and done friggen nothing so I did took it away to another shop and done in two days!!! :x

Anyway back to the topic, I just bought a magazine called `Games` with PSP on Wpeout Pure in it and I will be getting on the day released :wink: :

Countdown begins.....Ooh yeAAH!!!

stevie

Ha, I'm getting the PSP and WipeOut Pure on the European releasedate 15th of April :
    Then I'll practice and get my mobilenet subscription so I can go to a hotspot and play Pure against gamers from other countries (and win!)

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    zargz

no internet multiplayer support on pure!

Praeterea censeo autopilotum esse delendam

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

yes it's a shame no internet support but i am sure that low costers like Ryan Air will make money with few of us : : those like Pavel, Stevie & me who have already went abroad meeting&competing eachothers !! In few months When i move from Le Havre i hope my new location in France will be close to an airport with low costers :wink:

where you're going, they probably won't even have heard of airplanes!