Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Wipeout Ideas

a race through space with planets marking the turns. not a bad idea, though not a Wipeout idea. i saw somehing like this on a Doctor Who episode. it did have a certain epic feel to it. [it was during the Tom Baker years, probably the last one or two of his 'seasons']

PSN ID
    VHX1138: PSP, PS3, PS4, PS5, Steam

Wipeout can have mystic with this type of game. For example, you can come upon clouds and worm portals, and other things unknown to scirentists now. Things can effect flight, weapon control, and many other things.
    --
    However, I came up with a thought for a track on Earth: flying through the riuns of an old church. Huh, huh? Whataya think? :wink: Any other ideas, please post, everyone!!!!

PSN ID

Alright, I came up with an awesome idea!! You know how we spoke of a Wipeout game through space (motivated by Wipeout Fusion's official site)? Well, how about a game set way in the future that had cities in space? You'd race through the darkness, combining space with cities, and you'd race from and between cities? This game would go online of-course, and the weapons wouldn't be of this world. Their would be things like draining the energy of a star for repair or weapon use. This game would obviously be good for the PS3, ya? Perhaps pilots would have to start out at a very young age, having their heads hooked up to a simulator/educator for most of their early lives. Thoughts?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

Sound good, but not like Wipeout. ;) I find I am not a fan of weapons and technology that are too far out to wrap my mind around. I prefer stuff I am, even if to a lesser degree, familiar with. Draining energy from stars and riding through vast space therefore wouldn't be what I am looking for. Also, Wipeout, to me, always had a very earthy touch. I wouldn't want to see this changed really.

Ben

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

I ever though about a track in a ruined city. After the next ice age. Flying over the subway and also over the highway. All around you is snow, the buildings are damaged, in the air are flying some birds.
    The craft is making snow dust and the rockets destroying old cars which are under the snow.
    You fly over a huge bridge that is standing in a big, frozen lake and you can't see the end of the city at the horizon.

>>> http://ps2media.ign.com/media/previe...ofconcept4.jpg

But I'm just dreaming... :roll:

Oh man...

Ice ages, flying on other planets, space-age technology, epic feel.....

Who still remembers Altima VII starting gird, with the crowds cheering, and your AG craft levitating over the track? Isn't THAT what AG racing is about?.... :roll:

PSN ID
    Thruster2097

preach on, brother shem!
    that is the essence of wipeout.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

Quote Originally Posted by Shem
    and your AG craft levitating over the track? Isn't THAT what AG racing is about?.... :roll:
    Oh yes definitely !!

PSN ID

I definately understand your thoughts, G'Kyl. I knew where you got the idea before I even saw the picture, Sausehuhn. :wink:
    --
    I still think it would be nice to make a Wipeout with some epic feel to it, ya? I think all possibilities should be considered. I have an idea for an Earthly feel track though:
    It's a very wet landscape, water drips off of (watcha call one of those Pentagon/hexagon/whatever things that you sit in, that have a roof?), anyway, the water would be dripping off of that, which is made of a dark wood, and is worn down, which is suited up on a large steep hill, and the landscape is rich in greenery and overgrown. The only thing which effects this peace is the slight futuristic-sound of the humming of your crafts engine. Birds are at peace, and clouds lie low. The track twists around the the peaceful scenery and through the fog.
    I still think that every idea should be considered, and Earthly feel can take place on other planets (so you really wouldn't loose all the Earthly feel) because you would visit the other planets from the dipping down into their atmosphere. Thoughts? :wink:

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

I'm also not a fan of tracks in space stations etc. That is to crazy for WipEout. But I like Katmoda 12 and Devilia, both were on other planets, and in my opinion they did look like WipEout, not like a sci-fi-action-movie.

I think the ice age track is also not as bad as you say, Shem. It would be a quiet place, a cold atmosphere, really cool. Not just like action and so on. I think it would be nice.

But, everyone has it's own thinking. I like the idea of a track like it is at this picture and you like a different style. And that is totally okay!

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    zargz

so racers go thru a time crack and race and then come back??!
    nah! C'mon!
    better locate the track in the north pole > that'd make more sence! kinda like silverstream was in Greenland.
    even a track on the moon is stretching it!

Praeterea censeo autopilotum esse delendam

PSN ID

Nah, I honestly don't think so. What happens when Wipeout has to be placed way in the future, when the Earth's space is nearly all taken over? What then?
    Space flight is alright. And who sais Wipeout on Earth is the only Wipeout that exists? Wipeout's idea came mainly from the style of the race, not everything else, that was just to make the game better, but we shouldn't be stuck on it!! We should move on, onto other ideas. You never know, it could get better. I just don't want Wipeout to be past up by some other racing game who has all the freedom to use any idea given to them, U know? :wink:

PSN ID
    Galeforce43

I always figured wipeout style AG racing was just like an evolved form of earthbound motor racing... with weapons. It would just take over where motor racing left off and I honestly wouldn't expect to see an F1 race in the middle of space or between space cities or whatnot 8O Uh, yeah I always thought the real magic of wipEout came from something as far out as flying ships in a very real world or at least believable earthy environment, meh, guess that's just me :roll:

PSN ID

Well, Wipeout Fusion was very much like nascar racing or more like a self moved, weapon built rollercoaster race!!! This is because of the suction of the tracks. The bouncing effect is very important!! Mabye later on they can come up with an elastic type of bounce (which they seem to be getting closer to), or other types. These I believe are very much the essence of Wipeout's type of atmosphere. In Fusion, you hardly get to experiance it because of the suction!!!! It needs to be more like a dance (or, one of my interests, Boxing) where you move fast and seem as light as air. One thing Wipeout is very famous for is bringing humans closer to the atmosphere and away from gravity, so to make that enjoyable, it's fun to use it as much as possible, and NOT be sucked to the track!!!! This state of euphoria is more important than the graphics. This is the state of euphoria a real Wipeout game would build it's base upon. At least that's what I think! :wink: Next would come weapon control and logo design along with graphics.
    --
    Boxing is very similar to Wipeout: "Float like a butterfly and sting like a bee". Is this not what you do in Wipeout?

Default Wipeout RPG

I've always loved the idea of a Wipeout based RPG...

There's been such great care in creating the Wipeout universe... it's a world in itself..

I mean imagine being a sort of freelance pilot in that universe... sort of climbing the ranks going from city to city while taking on some other larger purpose at the same time...

Like FFX but instead of whatever that waterdome sport was, Wipeout racing and more of an emphasis on that.

You could be exploring a city and suddenly realize a race is going on while you're doing whatever it is you're doing... Anyone play the beginning of Knights of the Old Republic? Remember the first city you land on? Imagine that kind of scope... but with races taking place in the backround... betting on them... so many things could be done..

You could battle with all kinds of futuristic weapons... there could be 'handheld' versions of the weapons you use in the game.. imagine getting a handheld quake weapon in the game for the RPG style battles... There could be cross-over's in the design.. same targeting reticle in the race as there is in the RPG style battles...

The story could have something to do with preventing some sort of global terror attack.. Maybe the people on mars hate earth... or preventing a war someone is trying to start... finding a loved one who's lost... I mean there are literally hundreds of potentially great stories to tell in a world like they've created here.

I think PS3 would have the power to tell it

Quote Originally Posted by Dimension
    Uh, yeah I always thought the real magic of wipEout came from something as far out as flying ships in a very real world or at least believable earthy environment, meh, guess that's just me :roll:
    It's not just you - I think just the same way. Maybe the ideas of tracks settled in post ice-age come out of the fact that some of us pilots started their Wipeout journey (sounds nice, huh?) from Wipeout Fusion, i don't know. I do consider Wipeout a natural consequence of racing as we know it, that's why Wipeout 1 has so many elements, that just FIT the whole idea of AG Racing (i'd consider weapons a necessity, because it's a game, and weapons DO make racing more entertaining). I don't see why tracks which are based in space, asteroids, or different planets would be better for the crowds watching it (yeah, think of the crowds on Mars watching a race). It would be more fun to fly the craft on Mars (i'll just stick to that) because you - as a player - would like to fly on Mars, it would be more fun to fly there, as well as on the ice-age tracks. But considering Wipeout a somewhat 'real' race, that can happen i don't know why to go that far.
    The other thing is, that i don't see the need of going over the edge with the ideas for new Wipeout. It just takes a little effort to come up with a briliant idea, wchich would be more reasonable than draining the energy from stars. Take WO2097 tracks for example. Gare d Europa is a track, on Earth, in France (or Canada, i don't remember exactly), with trains, tunnels, great atmosphere. Designers didn't have to go for stars and other planets to make this one a classic. Talon's Reach - a short, industrial track, filled with pipes, proppelers, and all that stuff. It could be placed in a abandonded factory plant, adapted for AG racing league. Again, no need for cosmic devices, and twisted-upside-down rollercoasters. And it's a classic. These are only my ideas, you might not agree with me, it's just my point of view.

PSN ID

Quote Originally Posted by Shem
    But considering Wipeout a somewhat 'real' race, that can happen i don't know why to go that far. (far in location)
    Talon's Reach - a short, industrial track, filled with pipes, proppelers, and all that stuff. It could be placed in a abandonded factory plant, adapted for AG racing league.
    --
    Well, I do agree with you very much with the unrealistics of these kind of ideas; however, I tried to make the epic idea feel twisted. OK, you know how the system would over-rule the power of man. For example, the Halocaust. I'm not saying it'll be as near as bad as that, it's just that all the people have to follow an extremely strict system (like in the movie VHX-113 when technology is so powerful, it governs man. Now, picture a world where pilots are tought through a big machine, and the crowds would simply watch the race through a machine (which makes it seem very real), then their would be no need to have crowds, the system wouldn't allow it. I know it's going to far, but I just thought I'd share an idea with all of you. It'd be more like Wipeout 1 (the type of atmosphere, that is). A very mystical, epic, dark type of world. That is when you'd race through space cities and other planets, it's the future's point of view on nature.

Who knows - maybe in the near future all the videogame genres will begin to merge. :idea:
    Extremely complex games where a character can wander around a city and turn the game into a sim-style game a robbery/spy game or a racing game...

I dont see why the racing parts of wipeout couldnt be included in an RPG style game. Imagine a game where all your favourite game engines work together. It's starting to go that way with free-roaming games like GTA anyway. (I hate switching between different games that I love - it would be great if the same character could move seemlessly between different game styles rather than booting up an rpg, then a racer, then a crime game).

I always liked the atmosphere in Splinter-Cell. I'd love to be a spy breaking into another team's warehouses/labs/factories to steal some engine technology that would increment my own ship for the next race

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

yawnstretch: Honestly, as long as we are talking near future, I don't see various complete GAMES merge into one. There will be elements from certain genres, yes, and maybe a few decades in the future we will see what you describe. Yet for the time being games are expensive to produce, which also elimintes most of the innovative attempts from (mostly) smaller developers. Look at how EA, Take2 and UBI are making money with their releases... Hence, I am pretty sure that the common genre mix is all we are going to get anytime soon - as much as I regret this.

Chill: I never ever got to terms with the idea of a game propagating a world where what I do as a player is only a simulation in itself. It somehow takes the emotional impact out of the content. I want to feel what I do COULD be real. I actually want to BE that hero, rescuing the world and stuff. And yes, part of what I like about racing games is that I AM the successful pilot winning the championships. :)

Ben

PSN ID

yawnstretch: I always thought that it would be awesome to play a game like GTA, but set into the future. Hyjacking flying cars, shooting out people with all kinds of gadgets, it would be awesome!! :wink:
    --
    Ben: Well, if you feel that way, I'm sure others do also. Oh well, just an idea!