Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: One up, Pure Preview.

PSN ID
    infoxicated

Other than for Wipeout, I mean.

And Madden.

Burnout might not be so bad, either... oh, and Gran Tourismo.

But... *ahem* other than that, I cant think of why I'd need another console. When I'm not sitting on my arse in front of a computer I'm sitting on my arse in front of a TV playing games on my PS2. That's, like, all my arse time used up... unless you count... ops: ... actually, lets not go there.

Maybe I just need more convincing.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    xEik

Quote Originally Posted by infoxicated
    That's, like, all my arse time used up... unless you count... ops: ...
    You could always use an Eye Toy during those moments. I'm sure there must be a suitable game for that. :roll:
    actually, lets not go there.
    Alright, alright... I just couldn't resist.

PSN ID
    infoxicated

arse toy?! : 8O

EA may definitely have given up too early on the PS-1. and not just because of the huge installed base, but because it's still a viable and very enjoyable game machine. anything that gives me the great pleasure of playing WO2 and WO3, GT [which is great if i turn off the in-game music ], N'Gen Racing, Vigilante8, and suchlike is still a great game machine even if it isn't anywhere near the latest tech marvel.

i've still never even bought a PS2 [i plead poverty ], but i've never felt a lack because i still get so much pleasure from my PSX and my Dreamcast. not to mention that WO Fusion turned out to be too bugged and with too many good elements left out. and Wipeout is the main reason i'd want any new Sony machine. however Wipeout Pure is looking so promising that if it delivers i will be really feeling the lack. and i sure hope Pure delivers the goods!

PSN ID
    Galeforce43

Quote Originally Posted by Lance
    i sure hope Pure delivers the goods!
    You're not alone there mate. In a lot of ways, pure delivering the goods will be pretty important on the european front in the upcoming war against the Nintendo DS, if SCEE can pull this one out of the hat, it'll be a serious blow to the Nintendo boys, i'm sure

i would just hope that the competition would make Nintendo get off its lazy posterior and produce something other than reruns of Mario and other antique, though beloved, classics. they need some new and more adult franchises to go along with the already proven cash cows

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

Quote Originally Posted by Sven
    Actually, considering the state of the PS2's life cycle, I think a PS3 launch title would be more prudent 8O?
    One of the head honchos at EA said recently that they gave up on the PS1 too early - you cant abandon the machine with a massive userbase just to chase the latest technology. Considering there are 80 million PS2's out there and rising, any game would sell in good numbers if it's released on the PS2 even if it only sells to a few percent of the potential market.
    But with a generation of players that prefers design over content and a new Xbox on the horizon, Sony won't have another chance than to deliver an equally powerful hardware.

Speaking of PS1 and 2, does anybody know if the PS2 actually managed to largen Sony's user base more than the PS1 had been able to?

Ben

PSN ID
    infoxicated

The PS2 has far outstripped the PS1's userbase, in a shorter time frame too.

You could read about it here:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4054797.stm

and here:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3544039.stm

And even here:
    http://www.scee.presscentre.com/cont...2&NewsAreaID=2

Where it says the total shipments of PS2 have surpassed the 100 million mark - and that was in May. Those 100 million users aren't all going to stop buying and playing games on their PS2's the minute the xbox 2 or PS3 is released - only the very early adopters will be doing that.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

Where it says the total shipments of PS2 have surpassed the 100 million mark - and that was in May. Those 100 million users aren't all going to stop buying and playing games on their PS2's the minute the xbox 2 or PS3 is released - only the very early adopters will be doing that.
    Thanks! But then why do you say it's no good introducing a new platform if it pays off? Just asking... :)

you remember how the new compact PS-1 was introduced to replace the PSX so that the new PS-2 would have a huge obvious edge in visual size and importance when it was introduced?

note the now reduced-size PS-2.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

*carts bed into bathroom to make room for PS3*

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

yeah.... I never thought about it like that before Lance, well well you learn sometihng new everyday, PS3's round the corner then so is it worth getting a PSP..

not necessarily a PS-3; they may have just done it so the PSP wouldn't look so small. and like costing too much for something that little. or something

I could be wrong - but Id say the next generation will be slower to get off the ground, PS3 may not be worth worrying about until mid 2006 at best. At the very least consider the ridiculous man hours that will need to go into games produced for these powerful machines.

Personally I think most of the talented games makers will be involved in PSP over the coming 2 years.

PSN ID
    Galeforce43

yeah, I hope you're right yawnstretch, something needs to slow the console wars down a bit, at this rate the PS3 will be dead by the middle of 2007

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

I wouldn't worry so much, Dimension. One aspect that makes consoles so attractive to a majority of their users is their longevity. I am certain Sony and MS know that video game markets depend more on quality and quantity of the games than hardware.

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Quote Originally Posted by yawnstretch
    At the very least consider the ridiculous man hours that will need to go into games produced for these powerful machines.
    oh no, more work involved in creating games, that means we'll be paying £69.99 per game when it first come out :