Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New tracks for download??

Default New tracks for download??

"Sony confirms first downloadable PSP content

SCEE boss Phil Harrison has dropped yet another PSP bombshell by announcing the company's preliminary downloadable content plans for its fledgling handheld.

WipEout Pure - a PSP-specific version of the PSone's classic futuristic racer - will be the first PSP title to feature new content for download, and Harrison expects a new track to become available to users every month"

-Apologies if this has been posted before - but - YAY!

Heres the link btw:
    http://www.totalgames.net/pma/19991

It's news to me, and I thank you!!!
    Welcome to the forums as well!

Wow, that's some interesting news!
    BUT!
    A track? Like.....a music track? Or maybe a new racing circuit?........Curse these US-UK (edit : language) differences......
    and another edit :
    Damn I'm such an idiot. It's about racing circuits....(and some "extra vehicles expected but currently unconfirmed" - come on.....it's about time AG sys were back in the game).

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

Welcome to the forums, yawnstretch.

We better be careful about getting too enthusiastic about the news, though. Many developers have promised growing online content for so many games in the past - and it rarely happened. I'm not saying Sony is trying to spoof us, but I for one like to wait and see if and how it's gonna happen before starting the celebrations. :)

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    xEik

What I'm concerned about is:
    • Will I be able to download them from my PC using broadband or am I supposed to somehow download them directly using the PSP?
    • If the download is through PC, how will the PSP connect to it? Bluetooth? This would mean I need a bluetooth adapter for my PC. Maybe USB?
    • Where in the PSP is the track recorded? Memory card? I think those can hold 32MB of data.
    • Will it cost extra money or will it be free for the purchasers of the original game?

I think that PSP will be used to dl new tracks. I guess by some kind of modem. And I guess that we'll pay (less probable...). Why so? Well, Sony likes to squeeze every penny from us (remember how much was for the vertical stand for PS2? memory card, which could be built-in, but wasn't = pay some more. And don't forget about the price of PS2 during the first year after release. They DO like to earn).
    I have no idea how to fit a track onto a small memory card. Maybe memory card will fit only an overall design of a track while everything else, meaning textures, craft models will remain loaded from the disc. It may work. But then again you'd need a second memory card (geeeez...).

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

Will I be able to download them from my PC using broadband or am I supposed to somehow download them directly using the PSP?

If the download is through PC, how will the PSP connect to it? Bluetooth? This would mean I need a bluetooth adapter for my PC. Maybe USB?
    Hm, maybe Sony is still holding back on hardware features. Otherwise I don't see another way than connecting the PSP to the PC. Or maybe they use the PS2-to-PSP-connectability to download and

Where in the PSP is the track recorded? Memory card? I think those can hold 32MB of data.
    store bonus stuff. I sure wouldn't like that a lot...

Will it cost extra money or will it be free for the purchasers of the original game?
    If the tracks are going to come directly from Sony and they were to continue development by adding new tracks (and maybe more) then I suppoes they will indeed charge players for any new content. I must say, though, that I'd be willing to pay if that be the case. :)

after writing a somewhat lengthy post, it occurred to me to check the specs of the PSP... at least theyre thinking along the same lines that I am

We will see a usb port on psp, as well as 802.11b. Downloading can be done by either method
    We will see a memory stick Pro (duo?) slot on the psp. Right now, assuming that the pro "duo" is the same thing as regular old "pro", those memory sticks can hold up to a gig of data. More around the corner I'm sure.
    In my humble opinion, the usb and the memory stick ports are two extremely smart choices by the devs at sony. Good thinking guys!!!

As for the downloadable content, sony seems to have been pretty good about that so far. I would say that if you own the game, you will be able to download the content for free. Charging would be going the way of the XBox, and we wouldnt like that, would we?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

But we do! :)
    Personally, I like XBLive, and as I understand it Sony's online community is crowded with kiddies behaving like...kiddies. ;) Why not have a reliable, fast service at hands such as Microsofts?

...cause they make ya pay for it, and in my book thats a big no no.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

Ah, but 5 Euros (or something like that, I don't actually know for sure) a month is what the extra experience is worth to me. :) You get a lot for what they get from you and that's OK in my little scratch-book. ;-)

PSN ID
    Thruster2097

I'm a good old-fashioned sucker for hype

As sugar-sweet as this sounds, I really cant see this taking off. (and pls excuse the wipeout-ish pun.... not intended)
    There are too many questions to be asked, and more importantly answered, concerning the connection between PSP and Broadband, and once you got the PSP online, where will the content be stored to?

My opinion: sounds great, but probable no-go.
    Just like my PS2 network adapter. Apparently my PS2 doesnt recognise my broadband connection because it is purchased from "tiscali". Should that matter?? I mean, I can go online with my xbox whenever I like with no fuss, so why is the PS2 so tempremental??
    Anyways, rant over...

Heya thruster, good to see you out and about
    If they do it right, It shouldn't be a big hassle to get downloadable content. Any fool should be able to download a file to his/her computer and hook up a usb cable to transfer it. If the said person can't manage that, they probably don't deserve the content anyway

New tracks available to race, on a regular basis!, that is great news, just imagine, we still play XL and its few tracks over and over; but the tracks on pure have to be very well designed as well in order for this to be really good.

Default New tracks would be worth it

I don't know about you guys but it would be well worth it for me to spend a few dollars for a new track. Think about it, each track offers many hours of extra gameplay. Isn't that worth a few dollars. Not only that, as time passes, the developers will have more experience with the PSP and will know more about what the fans are looking for, so new tracks will be better and better over time.

''..and will know more about what the fans are looking for, so new tracks will be better and better over time.''
    that depends on which fans they listen to. could be us, but could be the average Official Sony Fusion forums member

Or, most likely, a little bit of both.

I'm sure they'll also hold polls for favorite and least favorite tracks of Wipeout Pure as well (like what infox has done with the older ones) to get a idea what tracks people like and what ones they don't. This will help them develop new ones that more suit to the fan's tastes, creating another Manortop or Korodera instead of a Odessa Keys or Stanza Inter.

i hope they will allow old teams to be downloaded on to it, make it more interesting

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

yeah!

I've lots of ideas for some new tracks! Maybe there will be a service-adress where you can send your ideas to (?)!

But one question:
    The tracks must be payed, right?

You'll download the tracks directly from PSP via the Wi-Fi connection. It's part of Sony's plan to get PSP owners signed up to the online subscription.

Regarding the online subscription, you pay an annual fee to Sony which lets you connect to any Wi-Fi ISP.