Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I am impressed with fusion...wipeout 3 sux!

i dunno. the extra shield energy from the pits would certainly make the laps faster, but it would also make it more likely that you would survive a mistake till the absolute last bit of the course. i'd like to try it though.

I think Wipeout Fusion Sux! They 'Air-Brake' feeling is destroyed, the soundtrack is almost terrible and you can not fly anymore over the tracks. It's the nightmare I think. But WO3 and 2097 are perfect. I personally prefer 2097 because of the style and the soundtrack. (And of the Piranha with the perfect abilities, of course!!) Icaras is also fast and has a good handling but not so strong shields.. But it's really matter of taste!

Boy, talk about digging up an old topic!

Welcome to Wipeoutzone. Dig a little deeper, and I think you'll find your views are widely held.

Personally I think wip3out is a better game than fusion though i think the airbrakes are much better on fusion cos they dont slide you into a wall when you use them unlike in wip3out. Also wip3out feels "finished" whilst fusion is just full of bugs which ruin the game for me.

Exactly! That's the point! The feeling is gone and it's like a bad car racing simulator..

Default nightmares? then wake up!!

[quote="Farsight"]I think Wipeout Fusion Sux! They 'Air-Brake' feeling is destroyed, the soundtrack is almost terrible and you can not fly anymore over the tracks. It's the nightmare I think. But WO3 and 2097 are perfect.

yep, ive tried very, very hard to like fusion, and we all have our own opinions as to what is wrong with it, i could list these things here, but as previously pointed out, its all been said before. suffice it to say, that since giving my ps2 to my mum (to use as a dvd player), ive been twice as happy with my old ps1, and all my old wipeout games, it almost makes me want to cry with joy!!! knowing that no matter what sony does to mess up future wipeouts, i will always have these old games, ahhh they dont make them like they used to!!

i love my PSX games. purely as games and entertainment, they are the equal of anything requiring later generation consoles. not that i don't love my Dreamcast!

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    zargz

so u 'poor man' finally scrubed enogh 4a dreancast?

Don't mess with Dreamcast owners Zargz.

:

V.

i bought it shortly after i got my PSX, just over 3 years ago. they were still being made then. sigh. i paid 200 U.S. dollars for a new one, which was a bargain at the time. i've never regretted buying the Dreamcast

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    DJTECHNO

I'm a fan of each and every Wipeout made, no matter what people think...

I am a fan of Sony and Sega myself too, but Nintendo could go away for an instance!

From playing cards to games, what the?

For some time, I used to mock Sonic. I really never knew why I mocked him. Maybe I just liked to run a lot when I was younger. lol.

Crash is sorta like my character though. In rare occasions, I like to be crazy and strange, like when it comes to parties for example.

Nintendo could just go away, I hate seeing its commercials! I Hate Nintendo. Period.

Nintendo makes GBA SP... wow, a 32-bit GAME GEAR (the lumious screen).

*"HAHA" to Nintendo*

Yes, Sega were the true pioneers! Too bad for them they had horrible marketing advisers.

V.

advisors?
    Sega had 2 problems: their chief operating officer during the Saturn era, and Sony's ability to sell at a loss. after a long series of poor judgement calls by that officer, he was fired by being promoted out of his office. following this, the chairman of the board decided to run the company himself. as a matter of honour and also feeling a debt to Sega customers, he tried to do it the right way this time, and succeeded in every way but one by building the Dreamcast. at that point, the previous COO's mistakes and Sony's exploitation of those had left SEGA in major debt, so they couldn't afford to add DVD play to the machine. this, combined with Sony's huge cash reserves due to their other businesses, allowed for the defeat of SEGA, despite their having the best game console of its time [which was not only powerful, but was also easy to program] and good games to go with it. too many people sat on their hands waiting for the release of the PS2 with its promise of a DVD player and game console all in one, and with the expectation that there would be some sort of 'magic of similarity' which would make it a repeat of the success of the original Playstation. and Sony could take the losses of selling consoles for less than they cost to make. at the end, SEGA was one and a half billion U.S. dollars in debt. with honour satisfied and certain financial disaster ahead, the chairman called an end to console production

a sad story. and of a type often repeated in the business world

PSN ID
    Curufinwe5503

Quote Originally Posted by xEik
    The hardest WipEout track ever is LS4 Prototype at Phantom in WO3. Compared to this, Silverstream is just a piece of cake.
    I still haven't played Fusion though. :cry:
    Agreed! It took me close to 1,000 attempts to get a gold medal.

Lance: While what you said did have a major impact on Dreamcast's demise, I wouldn't underestimate the incompetence of Sega's marketing staff. They blew the majority of their marketing budget (which was pretty big) on a short-lived series of tv commercials that made little sense and showed very little game footage. There was hardly any money left for any other type of advertising or promotion.

A good example is Space Channel 5. That was a fun game, if a bit shallow. That's the type of game that holds a really strong appeal for females. Non-violent, colorful, fun atmosphere, and easy to get into. That game could have been cross-marketed to great effect, but instead Sega chose to run a few really expensive commercials on male-dominated MTV, and a few ads in male-dominated gaming mags, assuming that all the 'hardcore gamerz' would go buy it, simply because it was quirky. They limited the potential of that game horrendously.

Now imagine some of the things they could have done with the money they blew on those commercials. The first thing is to advertise in female-oriented magazines, but that's obvious and still a bit limiting. How about putting out small amounts of Space Channel 5 branded collectibles and knick-knacks in those weird "whatever the hell sells" shops that litter every mall? Just little things that look nifty and cost a buck. How about sponsoring retro-styled club nights in some of the bigger cities around the US? Put some free singles of the theme song at the counter at places like Tower or Virgin Megastore. Things like that would have been a lot more effective than $50,000 commercials in between Creed videos.

i would have thought it far more effective than their actual campaign to have A: showed commercials that were entirely game footage with a brief spokesman voiceover on general programs instead of small target markets, and B: to have made free demo CDs available in stores that sold the Dreamcast machine.

technique A should have succeeded simply because Dreamcast graphics were clearly and stunningly superior to anything that had existed before, put all that graphic excitement in front of a wider audience, and it should generate sales. it was too often the hardcore that sat on their asses waiting for a ps2 because of the numbers Sony was publishing on gamesites and in game magazines. Sega should have counteracted that by showing the reality of superior graphics right now, in action, on the televisions that would be used to play the games. not enough people got to actually see them. you couldn't tell just how fantastic they were by seeing a little still pic online and some megaflop numbers in a magazine.

technique B?
    i've been rather easily convinced to buy things by picking up and testing demos of things on CD in such places as Mars, the Musicians's Planet stores. it's an effective merchandising technique that was being widely used by other companies of various sorts at the time the Dreamcast was introduced to America. it might have been good if Sega had done it, too

We shouldn't forget here that the PS2 had *terrible* commercials no one understood but despite of that (and it being overpriced... Sony pulling a 'Saturn'!) became a success.

V.

Hey sorry for reviving an old thread, I'm kinda new to the forums.

But I wanted to add something: I dont think I saw any mention of the Designers of the game. The graphic designers: DESIGNERS REPUBLIC. I dont know why they ended their partnership with the WipeOut series, but you can tell they left. WipeOut wouldnt be what it is without them. That's simply why WipeOut Fusion doesnt even begin to compare.

Pesonally I Like the design that was made by Good Tech. What I DON'T like about fusion is craft designs. Trerrible I say. Completly not in W"O style. The music also sux, it already sucked in W3O, but that's my opinion. The design for, W3O just didn't feel right to me becouse of it's minimalistic feeling. Personally I lked the jucyness of WXL design, not to metion the the japanese influence that could be felt in the first W'O design.
    I think that Good Tech was close, but not close enough.