Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Awesome 2097 times

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

the ''cold shiver of inadequacy''. !!! my constant companion and nightmare. [makes the ^warding off^ sign]

Lance I don't even want to image what your implying there!
    the ''cold shiver of inadequacy''. !!! my constant companion and nightmare. [makes the ^warding off^ sign
    Yeah the current times are fairly easy to get, without other people posting theirs you just don't have a challenge to beat.
    When the tables start heating up then it gets interesting.

Spunky

Default once again, Sir Lancelot stifles all imagination in his ques

t to bring rationality back into the world.

Clint, it's a purely literally accurate reference to my Wipeout piloting skills. or if you mean the ^warding off^ sign, that is merely both of one's index fingers crossed over each other and held before one's body as a protection agains evil.

and speaking of rationality, thank you, lunar, [damn, how ironic is that? i mean, lunacy versus rationality and such], thank you for using the doubled 's' in focussed and thereby helping to bring rationality to the English language.
    with the usual stupid spelling [focused] it would be pronounced fo kyoozed [Qzd?]. crazy. [yes, i have sometimes been accused [ ] of persnickitiness about such things.]

</silliness> [but not permanently]

Hi Science,
    Yeah I'm using PAL (2097) hope i'm not in trouble for stating my time there. Some people get extremely offended by that, it was just for reference as I'm very sure it will be beaten. God I hope i can get a 15 one day, it's so damn hard, you have to do a couple of laps to build up enough speed to even have a go at it!

Hi infox,
    There's probably alot of truth to what your saying there about Aussies, I think what you'd find though if you lived here for a while was that we tend to much around with bragging alot, it's more of a cultural thing. We don't take any notice of each other doing it as we see the fun in it (someone brags - then someone beats them). When it comes to websites where many countries are posting comments though I agree with you that ALL members need to be more conservative when it comes to texting, I've had to relearn not to come across as a jerk, while if the convisation had taken place in real life, the person would have seen the big smile on my face & realised I was being sarcastic. I hardly think the smiley Emoticons potray this well enough.
    What ever the reasoning we need to be thinking of what we write.

:wink:

Lance wrote:
    another thing that caused me to doubt the difficulty of approaching those times was my own limited experience of the XL version of the game. i've only done one time trial in it, vector class on talon's reach. my one 'racing' session, using a Qirex plus my sixty-year-old body and its sluglike reflexes [not to mention the sluglike reflexes of the Qirex], netted a lap at 34.3 and a racetime of 1:11.2. and i know that at least five to eight of the NTSC pilots here on WZ are notably faster than i am. so with more practice and a Piranha instead of a Qirex, i am certain that they will be many seconds faster than my pitiful time. i am expecting racetimes under 1 minute for this particular course and class.
    So your going to tackle the piranha! good luck, it's the scariest ship out of all the wipeout's, he he. Well i havn't played Wipeout Fusion... so there might be one in there that's better.

Lunar wrote:
    I`m only a middling ability pilot but I know that with the time for practice and a bit of luck I could get close to Spunky`s times and even beat some of them. I could never be that confident with quality times on any track on wipeout 3. Basically piranha is much easier to get the best out of than Icaras IMO. Unlike with Icaras, its pretty easy to fly PLs with piranha, the main problem for me being the other ships putting me off line to go round them and then..... bang, wall-wallop
    Yep, that's so true, there may even be ties between some of the top pilots (although i doubt Al won't sneak in front all the time!) That Piranha pushes the limits...

infact in vector and venom times, i'd say about 3 or 4 people will probably achieve a max out lap/race time. The best advice is to just stick to a track & play it to death, you'll always end up with a VERY cometitive time, this is why i like 2097 the most.

Thanks guys

PSN ID
    infoxicated

Great post, Tyson - it took me a long time to get used to the cultural differences, I have to admit.

Living for two years in London I was immersed in what is basically a microcosm of Aussie culture - if you get served in a bar in London you can bet the cash you're handing over that it'll be an australian serving you. Or a kiwi for that matter! I loved it - I'd always have lunch or nights' out in the Walkabout bars - I even watched the 2000 AFL grand final live at 3am in the morning in one, but my enthusiasm for that kind of thing was cut short because I just found that Aussie "confidence" a little grating after a while.

I'm not the kind of person who brags to any degree at all, I find it a really vile human trait, in fact. Now, I dont have any contact at all with the australian couple we shared a house with for all that time - mostly because of those "cultural differences". By the time we were due to move out I thought I was going to puke if I heard how great australia was one more time. :roll:

Ah well, just so we all know: Aussies - they don't really mean it!.

Quote Originally Posted by TYSON
    Hi Science,
    Yeah I'm using PAL (2097) hope i'm not in trouble for stating my time there. Some people get extremely offended by that, it was just for reference as I'm very sure it will be beaten.
    No, no trouble at all, my post about your time was intended to rouse Spunky, that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by TYSON
    So your going to tackle the piranha! good luck, it's the scariest ship out of all the wipeout's, he he. Well i havn't played Wipeout Fusion... so there might be one in there that's better.
    well the zone ship in fusion is much scarier, you can`t slow it down. its like some fiendish murder plot, the accelerator fixed to the floor while the pilot goes off to his doom. its worth buying fusion for, even if the other ships suck and never go where you point them. you should give it a go... you might even beat your compatriot Oggob.

playing 2097 it seems that fusion was the sequel to that game, not wipeout 3. shame about the sucky ships and weird walls and lack of up/down control.

but nevermind we have 2097, which I didn`t get to play today.... dammit, and I see Spunky is moving on to Valparaiso now.....

well the zone ship in fusion is much scarier, you can`t slow it down. its like some fiendish murder plot, the accelerator fixed to the floor while the pilot goes off to his doom
    Well said.
    I've got Fusion and it just doesn't have the same 'feeling' as 2097 has around it.
    The tunes, ships, courses just didn't turn out the right way.
    But you are right with it looking like it was a sequel to 2097, look at the graphics for starters, same colors
    dammit, and I see Spunky is moving on to Valparaiso now
    Phentia Park now..

Spunky

Tyson, actually i was talking about what the pilots who are hotter than i am will be able to do with Piranha. i haven't earned Piranha in the game yet; i have very little experience with the game and have only flown Piranha for a short time using a cheat just to see what it was like. i kept no records for it, and probably will not do so unless infox comes up with a way to show times for both the normal ships and Piranha.

____

i flew a Phenitia Park time trial for the first time last night. a very cool track. every once in a while, if i do it fairly close to correct, it feels almost as though the ship is flowing down the track in a smooth line. very nice design.

It would be good for all concerned that there is seperate sections for both.
    Guess we will just have to wait.

I today was mucking around on Phenita Park (PP) Rapier and Phantom and it is juust getting so god damn hard to keep the damn ship on the course let alone beat the times that I'm aiming for.

But I'll keep plugging away, never know I be on my fav track tomorrow Gare' d Europa
    Damn awesome track colors, just damn hard on anything higher than Vemon.
    There`s not really much opportunity for focussed practise in my house, the kind of house where controllers get destroyed by babies vomiting on them
    Ditto here
    got a 18mth old who loves to 'HELP'

fortunately it wasn`t my neg that got filled up with a torrent of half digested yoghourt - that would have been beyond tragic. : it was just a ds2 :

you got kids too! - just shows what a bunch of diehard oldies many wipeout fans are. I`ll be telling mine "games aren`t as good as they were in my day you know, there was this game called wipeout...." yeah shuddup.

I`ve done a bit of Spilskinanke with the Piranha - absolutely magical, like Manortop but a bit better. There is something special about a lot of the 2097 course design, which was lost a bit in wipeout 3, though that`s a deeper and overall better game. IMHO.

The courses aren`t so unrelentingly technical in 2097, they give you nice smooth descents like in Gare d`Europa and Spilskinanke, and there`s more pleasurable altitude changes overall, and feelgood smooth sections to give you a break after the tricky bits. I don`t know what it is really, but the track designer did a fantastic job.

I must admit that doing Spilskinanke with the Piranha is something that shouldn't be taken lightly, though it is a beatiful track to play on with its hidden corners and graceful drops.

I would think that you will be fighting a lost cause telling them that games 'back then' were any good.

I'll get mine started on the Classics like Sonic etc Mega drive.

Back then it was all about the great gameplay and not about pushing out as many polys as possible.
    You could aslo inimage what the environments would look like in reality, but now days the job is done for you.
    I believe that this is a key part now missing out of all games currently and in the future, unless of course they ramp up the mutliplayer and gameplay side of things.

''courses aren`t so unrelentingly technical in 2097''

[thinks about Odessa Keys]
    ai, yai, yai!

Quote Originally Posted by Lance
    ''courses aren`t so unrelentingly technical in 2097''

[thinks about Odessa Keys]
    ai, yai, yai!
    Odessa Keys.... yes indeed you have caught me out a bit there, but I stand by my statement :wink: . Hmm well its probably my least-liked track on 2097 just for the reason that it is a bit fiddly, and lacking in fun stuff. Its not very popular on the SE tables either.

Spunky: sonic 1 is just genius, superb gameplay and brilliant use of the technology of the time, much like wipeout 2097. Nowadays it seems maybe developers have so many possibilities that they don`t know where to go.

I find spilskinanke a bit easier than Gare d`Europa - I`ve never really got to grips with those nasty turns before the jump and I don`t believe I`ve ever flown them the same way twice.

I love the unlit dark tunnels of spilskinanke, when all you can see are the blue crosses of the ships ahead and you`re flying on memory mostly. It all adds to the hypnotic atmosphere of the game. Perhaps if they`d had better technology back then it wouldn`t have been so good, as they`d have cluttered the game up with junk you don`t need.

Odessa Keys.........Spot on with that, just a pain in the butt to race.
    Its just unrelenting with its bumpy course, the sudden drops and sharp corners.

Getting closer to a better time on Talons Reach today got 16.3 and 123.8.
    Slowly does it.

The atmosphere around some of the tracks is ace.
    [/quote]when all you can see are the blue crosses of the ships ahead

That and the pads on the floor showing you which way to go.

The blue, pink and yellow I think pads in the black tunnels just hinting at which way to go...pure class.
    [/url]

Default 2097 times

Assayeah a while back said he got a 1:15.1 (14.with a d-pad which I found hard to believe at the time until I saw all of his times. They were somewhat close to my xl times down the board. He supposedly found a way to hit brake on the turbo pads and make the ship speed up. I tried this but to no avail.

How r u going Zoolander?

I haven't heard from you before.
    These guys have been praising you a lot around here.
    But with the times that have been posted by you, you know what your talking about.

By the looks of things up until now it looks like 2097 hasn't had that much of a workout because of no tables to tally people, but now that we have this table to work with it will bring out the very best in people and the times will drop.

I wouldn't have thought that using tricks to gain good times would be an honest way to race, considering that people here work on the honour system.

With my eariler time of 16.8 I had been trying to break that ever since I got it, but to no avail, but then all a sudden with renewed vigour and some tight flying I've shaved a couple of seconds off it.
    I could still do better though.

Spunky

Al wrote:
    Assayeah a while back said he got a 1:15.1 (14.with a d-pad which I found hard to believe at the time until I saw all of his times. They were somewhat close to my xl times down the board. He supposedly found a way to hit brake on the turbo pads and make the ship speed up. I tried this but to no avail, so I'm wondering if this is just fake or there are a few differences in the pal versions in different countries(or platinum vs regular)(he was from france)
    Hi Al, sounds a bit fishy to me, if he gave you detailed instructions & you still couldn't do it, i'm sure your right when you say it may be related to the france version only. God forbid another different version!! argh!!!

So you got 15.6 on 2097! wow thats so amazing. I tried for ages just to get under 16, but I can't be bothered. What speed did you get upto? was it 500? i've never got upto that speed, the speed at that level would always put me off i think & that's why I only ended up with a 1:23.

Assayeah used to post a lot on the fusion board and he`s totally straight - he got over zone 70 on 9 of the 10 areas, something no-one else has done as far as I know, and which proves he has the skills.... so I think you should believe him. I can`t see any reason why a French version should be any different, they run at 25 fps too.

If you find a small feature in the speed pads to improve your times I can`t see anything wrong with that - its no worse than shortcutting or turbo scraping.

Hi Lunar,
    Well it's good to hear his word is good, but 14.8??? erm... that must be some damned good technique, looks like the scoreboard could be seperated by people who are able to pull this manouver off & who can't. I'm dissapointed if this turbo trick exists as I've always seen 2097 as the most un cheatable racer i've ever found, this is why it's my fav.

Al, can you please look into this and get back to everyone, I think it's pretty important to look into.

Where is this Assayeah? would be good to get him back here to help out.