Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rumours of a new WipEout game on PS5/PSVR2

Timezone
    GMT -3.5

A mobile gambling "game" recycling Pulse tracks with cel shading graphics.
    I was right not to trust anyone in the modern industry with the IP.

HD, Fury and Omega Collection were already part of the "modern industry" and they turned out more than fine.

Rush would have been fine had it come out alongside a new fully-fledged game. But it didn’t... unless there’s a plot twist in the coming weeks.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Apple-Guy-Cipher

Yeah, I could see this being fine as a companion app, but on its own, using a full fledged Wipeout title instead of a spin-off? Never, you would think big companies have learned by now from the Diablo reboot, and the Command & Conquer one, guess not though...
    Anyone remotely familiar with the franchise would've been ringing alarm bells left and right

On the other hand however, it's kind of odd they announce a mobile game this many months in advance, so perhaps there is still hope for this being released alongside a new console game in 2022 🤷

PSN ID
    MegaGeeza22

I think it's good news for the future of wipeout, I will definitely give it a go!

Timezone
    GMT -3.5

HD Fury was an actual game that had some of the series' historical developers behind it though, not to mention 2008 was over a decade ago, far removed from today's industry standards, however lopsided they are. A lot of things changed, mostly for maximum profit at the lowest risk possible, resulting in what we're seeing now - testing the waters with dice-roll mobile games. It's a shame that we went from Omega, which is the best example of a remaster done right I can think of nowadays, to this. We haven't seen a new, real game since 2048, also almost a decade ago. I don't like being negative but it's justified.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    docfo4r

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGeeza22 View Post
    I think it's good news for the future of wipeout, I will definitely give it a go!
    Hey there Mega, has been a while hope you're good!

I can see us in a dilemma in some sorts in this. What we think with a pure mind is that SONY somehow still cares for WipEout and we hope this is the entrance for a new console title.
    But who knows what SONY thinks. In a worst case scenario, no matter if Rush will be successful or not, the original WipEout will be doomed. Because...

...if Rush will not become a success of some sorts, SONY could think that people aren't interested in WO any more after this long so they won't bother to invest time and money for a console title. Or...
    ...if Rush will be somewhat successful, SONY could think that this "installment" now satisfied the players and they don't need to create another title for some time or even worse: Continue on the mobile route all the way.

But those are just random thoughs. I too hope this is just a step forward to a new installment for the console.

Timezone
    GMT -5

All I know is that Sony is aware that lots of reviewers said Omega was one the best games on PSVR. It was one of the few games to make people stop and say "OK, VR on consoles isn't just a gimmick"

So if they want to build more hype around the PSVR2, they'd be well served to make another Wipeout for it, assuming they can do it without taking a major loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Pico de Goroh View Post
    All I know is that Sony is aware
    How do you know that? Source? Or are you just assuming?

Timezone
    GMT -3.5

Quote Originally Posted by docfo4r View Post
    ...if Rush will not become a success of some sorts, SONY could think that people aren't interested in WO any more after this long so they won't bother to invest time and money for a console title. Or...
    ...if Rush will be somewhat successful, SONY could think that this "installment" now satisfied the players and they don't need to create another title for some time or even worse: Continue on the mobile route all the way.
    You hit the nail on the head there. There were cases where an overwhelmingly negative response actually helped protect certain franchises, like the Diablo and C&C mobile games. I believe that is the right course of action, but it must be noted that it isn't just the negative response to a bad product that drove them to make a new Diablo and a proper remaster of the first two C&C games - it was a negative response combined with a unified demand for proper games. I personally don't think it's wise to accept mediocrity, especially for a niche franchise like WipEout, because once the IP starts being lowered into the pit of mobile gambling games, either we save it now or never again.

PSN ID
    MegaGeeza22

Hi docfo4r, all good here, hope your doing well.
    I was looking on twitter responses to the new "game" and it's mostly negative responses saying they want a real wipeout and none of this mobile nonsense lol. I hope that now people are talking about the game again they will look into making something new on consoles. Maybe sony are testing the waters with this and Hopefully this will get enough people asking for the real thing.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Well in 48 months and 6 days will be Wipeout's 30th anniversary [29th Sep 2025]

If SONY don't make something before then, I would hope they would at least have something Wipeout to celebrate it's 30th birthday.

PSN ID
    MegaGeeza22

The mobile game is on Google play and it is terrible, 99% of reviews are 1 star.
    I Uninstalled after 20mins.

The guy who initially "leaked" the news of a new game tweeted this a while ago:

I’m not giving up hope

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Judging by others response, I'm not surpised.

FALSE HOPE with this one IMHO.

I played for half an hour, got to rank 15, got bored. You know me and my love of Wipeout... But, I haven't been quite so equally frustrated, angry and disappointed all in one go about a game as I have this in a long time... 😭 I really wanted to like it too.

PSN ID
    slimjim2097

Sounds like I will give this one a miss

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    MrOrbital

The Google Play Store says that it is not available in my region. I found the apk- and obb-files online and installed the game and now the Google Play page agrees that the game is installed so technically it is available for anybody to try out. I don't know if ingame purchases will work.

PSN ID
    TheWalkingFroggy

Just received the news of a possible WipEout game...
    Well, I'm so happy it has been revealed not to be that "WipEout game" on mobile... (well at least I hope) just watched 2 minutes of gameplay and proceeded to close the video. I don't understand why this game even came out.

I really have hope for a new WipEout game, but at the same time I hope it won't be a remaster or something like that again...
    don't get me wrong, I LOVED Omega, but the franchise needs a new title. I mean, if it turns to be a remaster, yeah we old players are all super excited and happy, and then all this happiness will vanish after 2-3 months.. then we get the same situation of Omega, I think it's normal after all.
    WipEout always has been a perfect example of what amazing graphics and incredible smooth gameplay can be, I can only imagine on PS5. But WipEout needs to say "buy me because I'm fuc*ing cool" and not "buy me because of nostalgia", WipEout needs to have new content, new tracks, new graphics, new features, a deep and nice tutorial to guide new people to the game, nice balancing (pleaase don't get the example from 2048! ), and a reason to tempt and keep ALL players to play online (even if this I admit it could be hard for a game like WipEout, due to its nature). WipEout needs to attract also new people. WipEout NEEDS FRESH AIR.

But of course these words comes from a lover of the series.. would a new game be affordable for the game industry? We need to be realistic, sadly. But well, for sure they won't obtain this with a remaster. So we can just hope
    Last edited by XxSuperRyugaxX; 5th October 2021 at 08:14 AM.

I think that’s sensible, and I agree with you. It’s the best-case scenario, provided the new stuff is quality stuff and not some over-engineered game mechanics.

Sadly, that’s probably not how the giants in the industry see things... But one can hope. After all, it’s just a racing game with ships, tracks and weapons, not a frigging AAA MMORPG with a 200M$ budget.

Honestly speaking, for a mobile game I suppose it holds up, but the issue is we have been waiting so long for something new (Not remasters, or remakes, etc) so I suppose for most people it felt like dangling a carrot. Hence the huge disappointment for people.

Another issue is it feels so much like a cut a paste job from people who have no love for the games. It's as if they've gone; "Oh, Wipeout? Hah yeah, there's still a niche market for that, lets slap a mobile game together as a cash cow and just throw in some ships they'll recognise from different eras to feed their nostagia, a few quirky characters to reference old games and that'll do." At least, that's how it feels to me. Even the music, which the games were always known for, feels janky and awkward. As does the artwork.

As for a new title, I suppose it's a case of picking it up and testing the waters. At the moment, the trends seem to be craft games and Fortnite/Overwatch style FPS, as well as horror titles. Racing, at least in the circles I'm in, hasn't really been as hyped as it was back in the day. So it could be a gamble, but at the same time, it could revive that whole target audience once more.

I just hope, if they do create a new game, they really think carefully about what made the past incarnations a success and use those to build it. And backstory. I absolutely want more world lore to devour. <3