Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PACER Updare - Fixes news

PSN ID
    stin_wz

Seriously l do always assume that pacer go automatically saved game like other games but it's a first for me, l have been saved online ever since but it's annoying.

Stevie ☺

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    DJTECHNO

Is pacer dead... from the words others have been saying about it...

I think so......RIP

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Just before, or just after Xmas, and just prior to the yet another complete stuff up by R8 with the Xbox release, I noticed some staff mysteriously were no longer there, as they were no longer answering my PM's or emails to them, this seems to have lead to a mass exodus from R8.

There hasn't been anything posted about the state of R8, the state of any game updates, or the much previously talked about DLC from R8 since early January.

Actually absolutely nothing has been posted by anybody at R8 on Facebook, Twitter, Pacer Steam Discussion board or the Pacer DISCORD page since that time [if there is anybody still there who knows]

It looks like everybody downed tools and left the building, so for all intended purposes PACER died within 5 months of release, it certainly died on the PS4, which WAS supposed to be platform that it was to have it's most success.

Among a VERY long list of VERY BAD decisions by R8, the one to rush out the PS4 release as soon as they finally got the OK from Sony after it had been rejected several times, instead of waiting just one more month, which would have got it some pre-release exposure, ended up with PACER hidden away in the bowls of the PStore [I lost count of the number of PM's I got from people who couldn't find it at the PStore]

I was told there had been pressure put on R8 by it's financial backers to release the game, which would partly explain the state of the game on release.

But when it was finally released peoples jaws dropped on just how broken the game was, with many a comment of "WTF have they been doing all this time, only to release a game with so many problems", thankfully most of the problems were eventually fixed, but the online multiplayer turned into a farce if more than 4 were racing, and that has never been fixed.....which is all rather a moot point, as there was pretty much nobody playing online anyway.

The biggest problem R8 made was wasting time and resources building those stupid and much loathed game modes Flowmotion and Storm, people only played them to advance in Campaign and get the trophies, and never touched them afterwards.
    If they had omitted them and spent the time making it the best AG racer it was supposed to have been, we wouldn't have the situation we have now.

I had started a PS4 PACER community that had around 70 members prior to PACERS release, just before Sony decided to remove communities, I decided to check just how many that had joined actually had bought the game, turned out about 75% of them hadn't, which speaks for itself really.

Sales of PACER on the PS4 must of been abysmal if people who WERE supposed to have been interested in PACER didn't even bother to get it......Which is probably why there is nothing coming from R8 now

Too late now.
    Last edited by blackwiggle; 3rd September 2021 at 05:00 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

Oh man, don't even get me started. I backed R8 back when they had the Test Pilot Programme and then again when they launched their initial kickstarter campaign, together well over 150 quid, and I still haven't been compensated for the things that weren't delivered (and most likely never will be - neither delivered nor compensated for). This whole thing is such a major f*ckup, and I would really like to understand what exactly went wrong.

What's most heartbreaking about it, though, is that I feel the gameplay foundation of Pacer is really strong. I've said it before and I'll say it again: playing Trans Atol on F1000 and getting perfect laps with that wonderful, inertia-based physics system and drifting through long turns while enjoying the dystopian vistas of a misty, defunct harbour at night is the best AG racing experience I have ever had, and yes, that includes all the wipEout games. With everything R8 got wrong, there are some fundamental things that they got oh so very right, and I'm crying for the game we could have gotten had everything gone well.

R.I.P. Pacer

PSN ID
    u/EienZero (Reddit) / eien_override#9331 (Discord)

Can anyone confirm if the game development in sense of hotfixes and updates is in actual dead state for consoles? Because I spent another good amount of money on an incomplete game, with the most terrible, infinite and extremely annoying campaign ever created, with no server and absolutely 0 chances to have an online game, I'm happy (sorry for you though!) I haven't backed it, I was close, but, I didn't have PC (still don't) and my guess about if it actually could ever make it to consoles, although pleased in the first place, not so pleasant after getting the result. I agree, physics are awesome, but not just the menus, the game structure, the teams and design choices (that just can't ever match up any Wipeout as well as many other wrong design choices (like all the Mario Kart ideas for combat or way to obvious F-Zero ship designs (way far as original as any wipeout one) that could just be placed on any fixed shooter rather than a racing game... but all that could have a pass, if the game design (outsides the track; menus, modes, etc) didn't feel so budget-ish and plain and well, if the game have had at least the option to build own championships etc without relaying on completing the horrible on-way only campaign. Man, what a hugely wasted opportunity.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    MrOrbital

I can confirm that there is absolutely no further development of Pacer at all. Nothing. While R8 Games apparently still exist there is only 1 employee left and all other devs have moved on. This has been the situation for at least 6 months now. There are a lot of Kickstarter pledges that will never be delivered upon. I believe that those who participated in the Test Pilot Programme have been refunded but I'm not sure. When it comes to the game it very much depends on if you are playing the PS4 or XBOX version. The PS4 version got its release on the 29th of October last year and received a number of patches post launch. It is therefore in a playable state. Online is not functioning but you don't have anyone to play against anyway so that doesn't really matter. Trophies should unlock without issues. The XBOX version is a different story. It eventually released on the 9th of March, postponed for more than 4 months! It has not been patched since launch and is in poor state. Apparently the platinum achievement is bugged and unobtainable and I've heard issues with progressing in the campaign aswell.

I do enjoy the PS4 version on an almost daily basis right now. I play Time Trials exclusively. Controls, graphics and music tracks are those things that they really nailed in this game so I can play it with headphones for hours. I even have 4 global nr 1 positions on the leaderboards. Speaking of that, eLhabib, you have been dethroned on Trans Atol Reverse, F2000.

I do wonder if the Halloween versions of the tracks will be active on the 29th again...

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

Quote Originally Posted by multibodydynamics View Post
    I believe that those who participated in the Test Pilot Programme have been refunded but I'm not sure.
    Nope.

Oh and good job on Trans Atol - I have to admit I haven't even booted up the game in over 6 months...