Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PACER now available at the PStore

Timezone
    GMT + 9
    PSN ID
    Heian_Xavier

I was lucky enough to get a discount code from a friend, and there are a couple of games I'd like to finally try online, so I'm giving PSN+ a shot for one year to see what it's like. I really miss racing games online -- WO Omega has a few players, but Redout seemed empty

Wipeout on the PS3 was a good time.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I was one of those people that originally balked at paying for a PS+ subscription, but I eventually came around to think it's actually good value compared to a lot of other things out there that are subscription services.
    And it's not as if Sony are consistently upping the price every year, it's been pretty stable since it came into being.

Sony have PS+ subscriptions discounted by 20-25% at least twice a year [A 1 year subscription is always the best value], usually around June/July and I again at some other time,that's when I buy it, you just need to watch out for it, I usually keep my subscription two years ahead, which it the max I think they cap it at, so you are covered for any price rises over that period if they do occur.
    I mean if you look at it as what else can you get for under $50 a year now days, the argument for not getting it does seem rather petty.

When you consider you get at least 24 free games a year, plus discounts at the PStore, and get to use the online services, plus cloud storage to backup your games, it's not a bad deal.
    You don't even need to download the free games straight away, you can just select to add to library and that game will be perpetually linked to you PS+ account and you can download them whenever you want, as long as your subscription is kept active.
    And I think even if you do let your subscription lapse at any stage, as long as you are using the same PSN ID and resubscribe, everything linked to your account is reinstated.
    Also I think you should be able to get the free PS+ PS5 games as well [won't know till I try on Nov 3rd when the games are made available], even if you don't own a PS5 yet, just press add to library and you'll have it available when you do get a PS5.

Free PS4 games for November will be Middle-earth: Shadow of War [reviewed at 8/10] and Hollow Knight [reviewed at 9/10], and that's the thing with these free games, you can get games that you would otherwise never consider,[ which happens to be the case with those two games] and on playing them find they are really good, that's happened on so many occasions to me over the years I've lost count, actually Farcry 3 given away on the PS3 is a case in point, I ended up loving it and it's sort of perverse humour and have got every Farcry game since.
    And it's not as if Sony are only giving you 24 crap games over the year, then the argument against getting it would be valid, you'll find you get at LEAST half a dozen that will more than cover the cost of the subscription several times over were you to actually purchase those games.

The problem is, especially for we AG racing fans is, people NOT getting a PS+ subscription now leaves a lot of games without a solid player base, or at least one that is not as active as when playing online was free.....Omega pack is a prime example
    So it's ends up to your own benefit to get a PS+ subscription, and to recommend others to get one as well if you want the same sort of online activity that we had with WOHD, which was the golden era for Wipeout fans.

So don't be cheapskates, for the same price of a bottle of wine and a couple of pizzas you can get a yearly PS+ subscription, which is far better value IMHO.

Your argument is sound. I'll get it soon. Plus, I'm really into Pacer in a big way, so I'm really up for playing it online which I'm normally not bothered about. Cheers Blackwiggle 😊

Watch out for Pirtek3 on the track! 😉

- - - Updated - - -

Oh another thing. I'm considering changing my PlayStation ID name, but get a warning it could effect certain things. Does anyone know if it's worth the risk? Cheers!

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

I have one particular person on my friends list who changes his PSN name quite a bit, I'm not sure what it effects overall, I suppose it's more to do if you are the main account holder.

Reading the spiel from Sony about this it seems to me that the main catch to changing your PS name is possible loss or use of purchased DLC.

https://www.gameinformer.com/2019/04...everal-catches

Pirtek3, Elhabib and now Mad-Ice are killing it with PACER on the PS4.

I think R8 will be having Crossplay working across all 3 platforms as soon as they can get it working,[Xbox release is weeks away apparently ] they can see that keeping the ports separate might lead to a early demise, which many of us have seen happen to other games, especially racing ones, which tend to already have a smaller than average online player base.
    Nothing is worse than going online and seeing a empty lobby, as we have all seem happen with the Omega pack.

Here's a reply from R8 when questioned about it
    QUOTE:
    Not reconsidered but considered. Amongst many things it’s one of the leaders in what to focus on next.

The benefits to the entire community by effectively tripling its size would be enormous. Definitely under consideration.
    Last edited by blackwiggle; 1st November 2020 at 02:52 AM.

Thanks for that Blackwiggle. Very helpful of you!
    Apart from Wipeout Omega collection, I can't see any other games listed I play regular. Still, I'm not sure to risk it or now lol!

I was going to change it to my music artist name which is Virtekh. Might just stick with Pirtek3 now! But thanks anyway. Appreciate your help!

Oh and I've done some promotion for Pacer on a music forum that I go on regularly. I really want this game to do well.

Glad to hear about cross play. My son-in-law wants it one Xbox (he was so disappointed with the delay announcement, bless him!)

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

By the way, the Halloween extras will only be available till Thursday NOV 5th, which is the next PStore update day.....you get to keep them forever by the way, they won't disappear.

Great to hear your helping promote the game, it needs all the promotion it can get ATM

Going by the El MURO track records set to estimate PACER sales, it's hit a bit over 400 since release, which considering it's hidden away deep in the PStore [I had a French pilot that couldn't find it at the French PStore, soon found it for him LOL] isn't that bad, but not great sales wise.

Apparently Sony will feature it in their Facebook blog.

Also no reviews of the full game have appeared to my knowledge as yet.
    I'm hoping R8 has asked those sent review codes to hold off reviewing the game until the major online and tournament bugs are fixed first.
    I dread to think of what type of review PACER would get in it's current state otherwise.
    It certainly doesn't need bad or even average reviews ATM, and IMHO doesn't deserve it....but then I am slightly biased after being associated with the game of such a long time.

With a little luck, and God don't R8 need a bit of that after all the drama, good reviews will start to appear.

EDIT:
    R8 games are running a comp on Twitter.
    https://twitter.com/R8Games/status/1322735819459710976
    Last edited by blackwiggle; 1st November 2020 at 04:48 AM.

PSN ID
    slimjim2097

Just realized I had a kickstarter code so I'm downloading it now wish me luck

Timezone
    GMT + 9
    PSN ID
    Heian_Xavier

Quote Originally Posted by blackwiggle View Post
    By the way, the Halloween extras will only be available till Thursday NOV 5th, which is the next PStore update day.....you get to keep them forever by the way, they won't disappear.
    How do you get these extras? I see the Halloween logo but don't see anything else that looks special.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

They open up when you beat the first Campaign.
    Then appear in craft mods.

Also if you play the game in NIGHT mode Pumpkin lantern will appear around the track.

Ivé just been watching PACER on TWICTH, its the highest watch game ATM, had over 22K people watching it.

EDIT: something is wrong with the WOzones editing, it keeps bringing up stuff that I tried to delete and replace

See what gets posted this time.
    Last edited by blackwiggle; 1st November 2020 at 06:58 AM.

I wish this game all the best. Like you Blackwiggle, I've been on this journey from the beginning!! 🤞

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Hey if you see any reviews around post a link, hard to keep track of what gets posted given how much content is out there on the internet.

I started a thread at the STEAM PACER discussion forum titled PACER REVIEWS asking the same.

Well that didn't take long for a reply at STEAM, seems there have been quite a few reviews of PACER posted, the vast majority very favorable

Hardcore Gamer review
    https://hardcoregamer.com/2020/10/30...-pacer/391118/

THe sixaxis review
    https://www.thesixthaxis.com/2020/10/29/pacer-review/

God is Geek review
    https://www.godisageek.com/reviews/pacer-review/

Press Play Media review
    https://pressplaynews.net/2020/10/31/pacer-review-ps4/

Way Too Many Games review
    https://waytoomany.games/2020/10/29/review-pacer/

Got Game review
    https://gotgame.com/2020/10/29/review-pacer/

I can't be sure, but I think Kieran from Got Game is the same person that have been giving R8 a bit of stick on DISCORD about how the game was released with the problems it has, fair enough I suppose, but it's the only really negative review out of all of them, all the rest give it 8/10 or higher
    Last edited by blackwiggle; 1st November 2020 at 08:19 AM.

That's good then!

Oh btw, I decided to do the ID change from pirtek3 to Virtekh. Everything seems to be ok! 🤞

PSN ID
    stever

I've put a few hours into the campaign mode on PS4 and I have to say I'm really quite impressed. Some of the menus and mechanics could be a bit clearer, but the handling and other important bits all feel pretty much spot on.

I am having quite a bit of trouble with the volume levels though. On cockpit view there's a continuous bass tone from the LFE/sub channel that drowns out the music. The music conversely seems very lacking at the low end and at times is almost completely inaudible. I've pushed the effects volume right down in the game settings and it's improved it quite a bit, but for a game where such a lot of effort has gone into the soundtrack it's a shame that in game it loses most of its impact.

Anyone else having the same issue?

Timezone
    GMT + 9
    PSN ID
    Heian_Xavier

I'm feeling the same way about the music. The default balance is just a bit off, like the music is pushed into the background. I haven't played with the volume sliders, but if anyone knows of a good setting where the music has the impact it's supposed to have, please post it!

I think they're aware of this, so hopefully it'll get sorted.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

They are a heap of small NONE game breaking issues with the game, and R8 are aware of them, I'll list a few.

First two that R8 should have a update for VERY soon, it might be available while I'm typing this, I haven't checked yet.
    1] Fixing ONLINE problems...a big one, so it got priority
    2] Tournament glitch in one of latter Campaigns when the game would crash on the 2nd lap of the third race, not allowing you to progress....again a big one..got priority
    On the list
    3] Various volume problems, the first overly loud whoosh when you start the game..[ nearly blew my speakers], and the low music volume/high effect disparity between the two.
    4]Various UI problems
    5]Records not scrolling up past a certain point
    6] Unable to remap controllers in game.....if on PS4 use PS4 system software > Accessibility > controller remap function to remap controls until fix is up

Those are the main ones that I can think of off the top of my head, but there are quite a few other minor ones on the 'To fix list'

Good news is CROSSPLAY across ALL posts is now one of the major updates on the cards.

Xbox release has been delayed for a few weeks, they only found out about it when the game was up on the Australian store....we are 10+ hours ahead of the rest of the world, so it was a shock to them!

If you have and problems with the game, you can report them either on DISCORD > PACER and they have a BUG REPORT channel for each port
    Or additionally if on PC, you can use the above, or report on Steam > Pacer > Discussion forum > Bug report at top of page.

EDIT:
    I just saw this had been posted at the Steam discussion page in the PACER REVIEW thread, and I think it mightbe important for PACER.
    QUOTE:

Only review score people care about these days is Metacritic. It's not like the good old days where you read video game magazine reviews anymore.

That's why Cyberpunk has been delayed for another 4 weeks... Because CDPR know the game will sell badly if it gets a score below 90.

SOURCE: https://www.ginx.tv/en/cyberpunk-207...e-latest-delay

Casual gamers don't trawl websites for hours searching for review scores, so if you want Pacer to sell well, just gotta pray Metacritic reviews are good.

EDIT 2:
    METACRITIC HAS REVIEW UP....PACER GOT 75
    https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/pacer
    Last edited by blackwiggle; 1st November 2020 at 09:57 PM.

Just got a Kickstarter email saying they're hoping to get XB1 out by mid-November.

Also, Metacritic mention Spectator mode. I've not noticed this, where is it!? Also, can't see a photo mode 🤔

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, that whoosh made me jump the first time!!
    Not come across campaign problems as I've only just started it. I've been doing quick play mainly to get used to the game first.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Quote Originally Posted by Concealed Sequence View Post
    Just got a Kickstarter email saying they're hoping to get XB1 out by mid-November.

Also, Metacritic mention Spectator mode. I've not noticed this, where is it!? Also, can't see a photo mode 🤔

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, that whoosh made me jump the first time!!
    Not come across campaign problems as I've only just started it. I've been doing quick play mainly to get used to the game first.
    What does that tell you about what you read in reviews ?

Yeah. I'm spending most of my time trying to get a solid player base up and running, I'm happy to wait for the fixes to come, then I'll zap through the Campaign and open everything up, I'm in no hurry.

TBH, I'd recommend people spend their time getting REALLY good at the tracks they have opened already and do heaps of SL & TT, really get to know where to apply airbrakes, tweak F3000 craft etc, then move on to F2000.

On the quiet I've watched a few steams of people on the PS4 racing, ATBH as I'm watching I'm thinking what the Funk are you doing?

A DONK fest of the craft doing everything except staying in the middle of the track, and this is at F3000 speed OMG!....funny but disturbing at the same time.

TIP 101. Don't use Drift on the slower speed classes, you don't need it, it's for the fastest speed classes.

Once you get Voxel and Vixen craft, here are the best loadouts that are recommended.....used by the best pilots
    ENGINE -OPEN
    HANDLING- Handling from Airbrakes
    BRAKING- Sharp Airbrakes
    ANTI GRAVITY- Sunken

Voxel craft are best used when you intend to try to run ahead of the pack.
    Vixen craft are best used for Combat and have better handling.

See this video of Angeyman in action, [ He's a well know record holder]....actually watch a lot of his videos to see how a real expert handles PACER.

https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/pacer
    Last edited by blackwiggle; 2nd November 2020 at 08:53 AM.

Yeah, that's good advice and that's what I'm going to concentrate on. And yeah, I thought too that drift would be better for faster classes. Like you said, you don't need it for F3009 speed!

- - - Updated - - -

video of Angeyman in action, [ He's a well know record holder]....actually watch a lot of his videos to see how a real expert handles PACER.

https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/pacer

Going to look now! 😊