Thread: Which game is the most popular online?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Santuz_rocks

Question Which game is the most popular online?

Hello, I loved Wipeout HD on the PS3, now after many years I have a Wipeout's itch and i've bought the Omega Collection for PS4. I'd like to start playing offline in preparation for competitive play online, but which game is the most popular online: HD/Fury or 2048? Where should i start?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

Short answer: none. Servers are pretty much dead, I'm afraid.
    If you really want to get into it, there are a handful of (absolutely ace) pilots ripping it up every now and then, mostly in HD/Fury. Personally, I much prefer 2048, but it's really hard to find a game for that.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Apple-Guy-Cipher

I think calling it dead is a bit much, but you'll usually only find people around EU evening times (fridays/weekends being better), but not going to lie, it is pretty quiet these days.

I'd recommend focusing on what you enjoy more than anything and because of that;
    If you like choosing your ship based on looks/handling and would like to stick to it, then go for HD/Fury, if you're okay with being forced into a ship because it's the meta for the track/speed class and as such barely stand a chance if you don't, then 2048 is also perfectly fine

Depending on what kind of player you are, you might find more enjoyment out of climbing the leaderboards (although as mentioned by eLhabib, the competition is strong, so it'll be a tough climb)

PSN ID
    feisar_2097

I was gonna play this weekend because it's wo's 25th anniversary, then i realized free ps+ exploit doesn't work anymore.

Paying for PlaystationScam (PS+) to play Online in a P2P game is the biggest joke there is in the entire industry.

That alone is one of the reasons the MP isn't too active.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

I couldn't disagree more strongly. I honestly don't see what's so bad paying about 5€/month and receiving 2 free games each month, most of them actually pretty good. That, and tons of discounts has saved me WAY more money than the cost of PS+ so far. I honestly don't get how people are complaining about 5 bucks for PS+ and then they go out and get a cocktail for 10 bucks and it's perfectly normal for them

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Santuz_rocks

Is it really dead? What a sad news
    Is there any hope for a PS5 Wipeout?

PSN ID
    feisar_2097

5€/month

More like 10 monthly the 5 euro is only applied if you buy 12 month sub. I turn on my PS4 every 6 months or so.

and receiving 2 free games each month

Most of them are multiplatform games that is a lot better played on PC, plus you don't keep then, and they refuse to sell it to you if you like it, forcing you to create a new account if you wanna keep it. Then there is Xbox game pass that has ten times the value of PS+.

That, and tons of discounts has saved me WAY more money than the cost of PS+ so far.

I looked at the discounts with double discount, some of them are more expensive than getting it from a regular sale on PC, and there is no regional pricing on PSN which makes it more of a total joke.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

What do you mean 'you don't keep them'? Of course you keep them. I have a library of over 200 free games by now.
    Also, I don't own a gaming PC so I'd play them on PS4 anyway.

PSN ID
    feisar_2097

Quote Originally Posted by eLhabib View Post
    What do you mean 'you don't keep them'? Of course you keep them. I have a library of over 200 free games by now.
    Also, I don't own a gaming PC so I'd play them on PS4 anyway.
    You don't keep them when your PS+ expires

Quote Originally Posted by santuz_rocks View Post
    Is it really dead? What a sad news
    Is there any hope for a PS5 Wipeout?
    Most likely, the closest thing to wipeout you will see is PACER

There is also BallisticNG if you loved the classic wipeouts but it's only available on PC (win, mac, linux)

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

Quote Originally Posted by Racingfan View Post
    You don't keep them when your PS+ expires
    *slaps forehead* well, obviously. You don't expect to be still streaming movies when your Netflix expires
    I honestly don't see what the big deal is with 5 bucks a month.

Okay so... you don't keep them? *slaps forehead*

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    BlackReign

It's not dead but not as active as it was on PS3 or when Omega came out. During daytime EU hours there's generally a few lobbies going. One can only hope for another Wipeout.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Santuz_rocks

I agree, a gaming PC is the best thing, but how much will it cost to build a good gaming rig? And is it possible to build that witouth skill or knowledge?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    JuiceStickers

It cost me about $500 to build a good mid-high performance rig. Granted I already had peripherals and a monitor. It'll play BallisticNG on highest settings no problem. Mid to High settings for most modern games. The only time it's ever noticeably struggled is with Tarkov but that's one of the most poorly optimized games I think I've seen. It runs PSP and PSX emulators without an issue when I want to play the older games. It was my first build and it's really not that difficult as long as you're careful and patient. The hardest part for me was diagnosing crashes and trying to get your software and drivers sorted.

PSN ID
    feisar_2097

Quote Originally Posted by eLhabib View Post
    *slaps forehead* well, obviously. You don't expect to be still streaming movies when your Netflix expires
    I honestly don't see what the big deal is with 5 bucks a month.
    Of course I know you don't keep them. I'm just saying that it isn't really free if you lose them anyway. They're a part of the subscription.

Comparing it to NetFlix is a bit too much. Netflix has a ton of content from the day you subscribe, so does the xbox Game pass, hundreds of titles available to watch/play for the same price as PS Plus monthly.

PS plus is only 2 titles monthly, you don't get to play any of the previous titles if you never added them to your library.

Sure, if you play PS4 every now and then, it might be alright, but for someone like me who never play console and turns it on every 6 months just to play a little wipeout multiplayer then it's not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by santuz_rocks View Post
    I agree, a gaming PC is the best thing, but how much will it cost to build a good gaming rig? And is it possible to build that witouth skill or knowledge?
    It all depends on what you wanna do. Do you want to play at 1080p 60 fps? 144 fps? 4k 60 fps?

Honestly, you can get a 1080p 60 fps machine just fine for 500-700 euros as long you build it yourself as It will be a lot cheaper for you. And no you don't need any skill or knowledge, but I would highly recommend watching a tutorial on building a pc. You don't want to bent your CPU pins by accident

Yes, a gaming PC is like the best thing ever. I've used mine for a while now, zero regrets. It's awesome for pretty everything

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

@Racingfan I’m with you on this; I barely find myself in the mood for gaming these days, but still enjoy it every now and then. So I’ve talked myself in buying a yearly subscription when it’s on sale for ~40€, but I rarely need it. Thing is: console gaming is just so convenient, you press a button and there you go. Then again, basically I only bought the console at a discount and then a handful of games since I got it three years ago. I’m probably not Sony’s target audience.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    BlackReign

Quote Originally Posted by Sausehuhn View Post
    @Racingfan I’m with you on this; I barely find myself in the mood for gaming these days, but still enjoy it every now and then. So I’ve talked myself in buying a yearly subscription when it’s on sale for ~40€, but I rarely need it. Thing is: console gaming is just so convenient, you press a button and there you go. Then again, basically I only bought the console at a discount and then a handful of games since I got it three years ago. I’m probably not Sony’s target audience.
    If it helps or if anyone cares CDKeys has half off PSN right now. I bought two years. Might be worth checking what it would be for your country/region.
    https://www.cdkeys.com/playstation-network-psn

PSN ID
    Sphereshift

Though I play halfway regularly, I don´t have PS Plus. I might get it if I like Pacer. But getting games for free (for the time being) is rarely attractive to me. Cause I know what I (don´t) want and became extremely picky over the years. And since games are very cheap (if you can wait some months), I rather spend some money on games I really want. One doesn´t have the same amount of time with working full-time like..back then

And about the gaming PC: BallisticNG made me playing on PC. I had a bare-bones crappy graphic card and bought a decent one just for this game. Of course, now I have other games as well in my library - though my focus will remain on the Playstation, I guess.