Thread: Are Elites Ruining Online Play?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

Default Are Elites Ruining Online Play?

I don't mean for this to be a brag thread. I'm looking for genuine feedback from the community.

I remember when I first picked up WOHD I could not even begin to fathom how I was getting beat by 10+ seconds. But I continued to race and get better determined to eventuality be a contender online.

Now I join a game, and empty a lobby after one race. I do see some other WOHD pilots now and again, but for the most part, I see new pilots in VR. Any suggestions on cultivating interest to get better instead of quit? I feel like all the older pilots from WOHD and even 2048 are too good to encourage new pilots to want to continue playing, which doesn't bode well for the series.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Apple-Guy-Cipher

People like winning more than they do losing.
    I think I would've given up pretty early myself if it wasn't for the community side of things ;-)

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

Yeah, but back in the WOHD days there was a strong desire to get better instead of quit. I took a 15 second loss as a challenge.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Apple-Guy-Cipher

Are you sure that wasn't just because of the great atmosphere in the chats and stuff? (something we unfortunately don't really have anymore on PS4), people can challenge themselves on the leaderboards if they really want to, and ps+ enforces the thought of "time is money" online, so they might want to spend their online time on other games as well, instead of spending hundreds of hours trying to get better online

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    mannjon

Wow dude, I forgot that it used to be free!

Still, if people have the money for vr, one would assume they could afford psn +

PSN ID
    Snakenator1

I'm having the opposite effect, ever since the VR update I've been getting an awful lot of grief and abusive messages from low level randoms (157 messages on record and potentially more since I made my privacy settings super strict).

Like Cipher said people hate losing, especially evident for me as people can't seem to stand the fact I fly Piranha. Apprently its super OP when I fly with it and its unfair on them, even though Piranha is one of the hardest teams to play with
    Then these people start talking to others to gang up on me with weapons until I leave the lobby, and then send me messages saying "Git gud noob, ragequitter lol". Its a war I can't win with these hypocrites.

I've just given up and retired for now until I feel like returning in hopes people will mature.