Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: attn: Al Sartwell

there was nothing pre-school about it; it was a fully considered response to the qualities you have displayed in virtually every post you have made since you became a member on this board. your statement that everyone here is an ego-obsessed maniac is clearly false. most of us are quite self-deprecating, but you, on the other hand are constantly prating about your world records on Twin Galaxies [or whatever its name is], and you seem on the face of it to have no interests in your life apart from this, since you never speak of anything other than videogame records and the process and hardware used to obtain them. granted that this board is centred on a group of videogames, yet the conversation often wanders off to other areas of life. i do not recall your having made a single post that was concerned with anything other than videogames or our direct reactions to your posts. this shows your obsession with this subject, and your obsession is precisely what overpowers your judgement. your bragging, for that is what it is, no matter how much you try to disguise it, is something that is done by virtually no one else here, because they do not consider excellence in videogames to be the be-all and end-all of their existence. but you seem to regard it as exactly that. it is your bragging and your puerile unbalanced outlook that offends other people. it either blinds you to the offensiveness of your posts or it is just simply so powerful that even though you do realise what you are doing, you cannot stop yourself from doing it.

and by the way, claiming that it was a joke is the last defence of someone who has been criticised for being a jerk

and before i forget, Tyson:

'' I honestly don't think that I put you down at all''
    bragging about one's excellence is by its very nature a put-down of the people being bragged to. it is a thing done by people who are very incomplete humans. i hope that you are still a young person, which would mean that you will eventually outgrow this limited phase you seem to be in

Hi Lance,
    Well I guess I better make a small contribution. Yes I'm aware that I don't talk about much else other than wipeout but I thought this site was about wipeout... erm... isn't it? I guess if I'd had enough time I would have posted some other comments but I could hardly see the point..

For the most of your comments apart from the silly name calling I actually agree that I'm waay over the top when it comes to stating my scores etc. I'm sorry that it thrills me when i get a good time & yes admitedly I become overly proud. I've looked over many things ive said in the past & wished I'd worded things differently but fraid I can't help what I've already written.

Also just to reply about the TG scores that I got, I don't understand why you would be so concerned about me writing that down? I didn't actually state something like "stuff you all no one can beat me!" but from your thread some members may believe I said something like that. Infact I don't expcet those tiny records to last at all as they are the first submitted (yep it's as silly as that) & everyone under the sun will be shooting to beat them. If I am guilty of anything it was wanting 15 seconds of fame.

Actually i do lots of other things, amazingly I go out on the town every now and again, play a few sports for recreation, goto movies... lot's of common stuff. I never thought anyone would care really, yes i do find Video games far more interesting to talk about, guilty.

Hope im not still in trouble.

Tyson

''... but I could hardly see the point.''
    exactly the problem. and also responsible for the seemingly smart-assed tone of the first paragraph of your reply.

''I don't understand why you would be so concerned about me writing that down? I didn't actually state something like "stuff you all no one can beat me!"''

just because a thing is not stated does not mean that it is not implied and is intended to be implied. do you see other people here [who are like yourself in being enthusiastic gamers] making frequent references to their times? Do you see Al Sartwell doing that? he lets his times speak for themselves to anyone who looks at the times tables. i'm sure he is proud of his accomplishments, but he does not frequently refer to them in order that people will not forget how good he is.

there was a racing driver named Juan Manuel Fangio, who won the World Championship five times in seven years. he is generally regarded as the greatest racing driver who has ever lived. in 1991, on the occasion of a dinner attended by other racing drivers and motorsports journalists honoring Fangio as he was about to turn 83 years old, Stirling Moss, who was my hero as a racing driver when i first discovered international motor sports, toasted Fangio by saying this:
    ''Fangio is a humble man, great in his humility.''
    that is how he is remembered, a man at the absolute pinnacle of his chosen profession who never put his achievements in front of anyone's face.

i wish i could be even half as great as Fangio in that respect. i wish you could be, too

Hi Lance,
    Well thanks for being honest, implied things are very tricky to put on people though but I can certainly see your point. It's nice to see some progress here, the fact that you stated about me writing down TG scores upset you, well I'll remove all references if necessary & will never post times again if this will help redeem me even a little. There's no way I want you to be so angry with me Lance, if there is anything else that may help, just say so.

ops:

no removal is necessary

people generally know when they are being implied upon

i made a mistake as to Fangio's age at the time. he was going on 80

and don't be so excessively repentant. going over the top like that makes it seem smarmy and insincere

Hi Lance,
    Thanks for that, won't make anymore opology's etc.

So what are you working on at the moment? i've been playing Tomb Raider again, i like that old game, have you played any of the TR's?

seeya

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    zargz

is there any differance between the ntsc JAP and ntsc US/Can? ('_'?)
    coz I play my jap AND us wo3 on a JAP psx! (^__^)v
    z

Hi Z,
    Good question, is the Jap version named XL for wipeout 2 by the way? (always wondered that). Japan & North american disc's are both NTSC so maybe the wipeout programers didn't bother changing anything as it would have just wasted time. Remember Scott Naylor said that they made the game differently according to the country? Well with that said the jap version maybe diff but not likely. It's mainly pal & ntsc that are, dun worry about using your ntsc game on an ntsc system shouldn't think it would be a problem. I was only talkin about pal to ntsc & vice versa modchips. if your using one on a ntsc system to play an ntsc game (from japan) all the modchip has to do is bypass the country code, it doesn't screw up the framerates etc as theyre the same.

hope this helps a little & isn't confusing.

:

Default nippon wo3

there is a difference in the japanese and american wo3's, to the best of my recollection. I remember seeing a video on a japanese wipeout site of an icarus ship doing like a 12 second lap (maybe less!) on hi fumi by basically flying over the whole effing track. needless to say, the icarus ship's attributes were beefed up in the japanese version. there's surely a post about it somewhere in the archives...

that is too much beef

OMG its all getting very complicated! :-? We need about 30 different tables and Infox will go mad!

Basically I think the 3SE table should be limited to people playing on an unmodified Pal PS2 on a 50Hz Panasonic TV in the territory of the south western corner of England within 15 miles of the M4 corridor, as variations in the electrical current and atmospheric pressure in the rest of Europe could provide people with an advantage. :wink:

you are exactly correct sir. well done!
    ;D

I'll buy my ticket tomorrow.

lunar wrote:
    OMG its all getting very complicated! We need about 30 different tables and Infox will go mad!

Basically I think the 3SE table should be limited to people playing on an unmodified Pal PS2 on a 50Hz Panasonic TV in the territory of the south western corner of England within 15 miles of the M4 corridor, as variations in the electrical current and atmospheric pressure in the rest of Europe could provide people with an advantage.
    ha ha ha, yeah good example, hopefully it won't come to that, just so it can be fair.

Science wrote:
    there is a difference in the japanese and american wo3's, to the best of my recollection. I remember seeing a video on a japanese wipeout site of an icarus ship doing like a 12 second lap (maybe less!) on hi fumi by basically flying over the whole effing track. needless to say, the icarus ship's attributes were beefed up in the japanese version. there's surely a post about it somewhere in the archives...
    Wow, this is intesting, has the scoreboard ever had a Japanese player submit times? If the answer is no then i guess your most likely 100% correct science. out of all the games that i've known with scoring differences, there has only ever been a max of Japan NTSC, North American NTSC, and Euro UK - Australia PAL.

Good thing about W3 SE is that it's one region only, bad thing is everyone else missed out on the game in their native format eg. NTSC N.A.

It would be hard to work out if the original wipeout, & wipeout XL differed from each other across Japan NTSC & N.A. NTSC. Don't suppose anyone can find out?

I would assume this so far:

Wipeout PAL - UK, Euro, Australia
    Wipeout NTSC - N.A. & Japan (maybe)

Wipeout 2097 PAL - UK, Euro, Australia
    Wipeout XL NTSC - N.A. & Japan (maybe)

Wipeout 64.... This would be a good one to confirm, is there any know differences between PAL & NTSC W 64?

Wipeout 3 PAL - Uk, Euro, Australia
    Wipeout 3 NTSC - N.A.

Wip3out for japan. ( I'll assume that science is right here, especially after Scott Naylor explained how the game was changed depending on the region. I think also if that spelling is the true form of wipeout 3 for japan then maybe the programers were showing it was different, just like XL & 2097 had different names. Just a theory anyway).

Wipeout 3 Special Edition PAL - UK, Euro, Australia (oh well at least theres just one version!)

So that's 9 distinct versions with a possibility of 12 if the Japanese versions turn out to be different.

jesh, that's alot to keep up with!

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    zargz

Quote Originally Posted by TYSON
    Wipeout 3 PAL - Uk, Euro, Australia
    Wipeout 3 NTSC - N.A.
    intresting how u divide uk and euro althou the ARE the same! (^___^)
    they dont have the same money but hey, here in sweden we dont have euros either

the wo3jap actually is the best of the 3 versions (pal, us & jap) it's the closest1 to se -
    it's got:

autoload
    bigger font
    and the 5th and 6th prototypes included in se!

Hi Zarg:

Zarg Wrote:
    intresting how u divide uk and euro althou the ARE the same! (^___^)
    they dont have the same money but hey, here in sweden we dont have euros either
    Um yeah, i should have just put Europe & Aus.

the wo3jap actually is the best of the 3 versions (pal, us & jap) it's the closest1 to se -
    it's got:
    autoload
    bigger font
    and the 5th and 6th prototypes included in se!
    OMG really! well that's a definite confirmation that its different!

Hey Zarg what are the stats on the Icarus for the Japanese version?
    & just out of curiosity, is the game spelt as Wip3out & not Wipeout 3?

Wow, i might see if i can get that now off ebay. Thanks Z

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    zargz

I'll check the stats.
    u might need a jap psx to play it!

I'll check the stats.
    u might need a jap psx to play it!
    Thanks Z, yeah i figured i'd need a jap psx for score submissions, but I think i'll just not bother if i do get the version. I'll submit times for W3 SE because it's pal & I have a pal system, that way i'll avoid any problems with modchips etc.

:

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    zargz

Quote Originally Posted by TYSON
    OMG really! well that's a definite confirmation that its different!

Hey Zarg what are the stats on the Icarus for the Japanese version?
    & just out of curiosity, is the game spelt as Wip3out & not Wipeout 3?

Wow, i might see if i can get that now off ebay. Thanks Z
    the icaras has 3 in turning and the assegai 2 shield it's the same as in the se
    it's as close se as u can come without beeng it! (^_^)
    in som ways even better - u can see the replay as many times as u want!

there were some other suff I noticed yesterday when I checked ..
    oh yeah in the ls5 and 6 the cockpit view is NOT 'animated' as in the other 4 it's like the 'real' thing if u no what I mean.