Thread: Is There a Way to Play SE at 30FPS?

Default Is There a Way to Play SE at 30FPS?

It seems to me that Special Edition is the definitive version with one drawback. It's 50Hz (25FPS). I play the game through emulation these days but I've never found a way to get the game running at 60Hz even though that's what the emulators seem to run at.

I've tried PCSXr, ePSXe and the Beetle RetroArch emulator core.

Has anyone got the game running as smoothly as the Japanese release?

Timezone
    GMT + 1

What you need is 'import player light', a disk image originally used on hacked psone consoles to play imported games in a different video mode.
    When inserted, it shows a menu allowing you to select a video mode (you want NTSC) and after hitting x, it asks you to swap the disk for your game.
    This can be done in ePSXe by hitting escape, going to the window and selecting file -> change disk
    The menu you saw earlier turned black - probably a glitch in the emulator but it still responds to 'hit X'.
    Another issue is that this way, part of the screen is cut off at the bottom, which you can fix somewhat in-game in the video settings.
    I've just finished comparing SE and the Japanese version. And yes, the game runs equally smooth now - but as expected everything else is sped up as well; timers, sounds, videos etc.
    Most annoying seems to be an over-sensitive controller, questioning the usefulness of this trick

Hope this helps you somewhat.

Timezone
    GMT -3

You can actually change the framerate limit using PCSXR, but the music will start skipping, so you might want to use a external player to do it. I've set my WO3SE to 53.4 FPS, frameskipping off, and the game feels smoother. It will be obviously a little faster, because it's not supposed to run at that speed, BUT, it will feel smoother, even though it's not true.

Timezone
    GMT -6

Maybe with some tweaking of various core files, it might be possible to patch the game to play at the correct speed while running at 60 Hz. Further tweaking still, and we can maybe even get proper Widescreen support (neither zoomed in nor stretched); obviously, it would never be able to run at those framerates and resolutions on real hardware, but in an emulator on PS3 or PS4 hardware, it might become the perfect way to experience Wip3out; you could even take the patch and hand it off to Sony in the event they ever put Wip3out on PSN.

Timezone
    GMT + 1

http://consolecopyworld.com/psx/psx_patches_w.shtml

WipeOut 3 Special Edition +3 Trainer & PAL/NTSC Selector
    - For the ENGLISH, FRENCH, GERMAN, ITALIAN & SPANISH version!

use ppf-o-matic3

I remember it being very finicky -> i.e. badly ripped ISO will never start, try CCD format or non-audio splitted BIN/CUE

played it for months on real PSX w/ CRT works very well ... on emu IIRC not all of them will run it

you wanted speed, you'll have it as it'll be +20% faster (phantom is just impossible) ... but game is very smooth

Timezone
    GMT -6

I never said I wanted increased speed <.<

Timezone
    GMT + 1

I didn't say that,

What I meant,
    - the game already runs at the right speed on the PAL version, compared to NTSC,
    - but since the patch promotes it to NTSC it's faster by (exactly) 16.66666666666667%
    (they didn't patch in game speed)

So it effectively runs very well at 30FPS and is enjoyable, but it's quite crazy at phantom class ... definitely doable for some gurus though

Very few time you'll experience slowdown in P-Mar Project because the CPU is at 100%,

However, it's a patch that works very well nonetheless

(it's been done by some people from the Amiga scene IIRC)