Thread: ROM Hacking the audio?

PSN ID
    Hybrid_Divide

Default ROM Hacking the audio?

So I saw a romhack for the SNES Super Metroid the other day (Super Metroid MSU-1) that replaces the soundtrack with an orchestrated version. And it got me thinking.

There are sound files out there for WipEout 64 that include some alternates. Specifically, the Amiga announcer saying "Super Weapon!".

Is there any way the N64 rom could be hacked to swap in the Amiga announcer's speech? Bonus points for including the 2097 "Contender Eliminated" from the PS1 games.

It'd make it like a definitive edition, or something. Thoughts?

I'm pretty sure you can, but those will be audio files you have to replace, rather than the MIDI-like music files that exist in the SNES.
    You just need to find a way to get the location of those files and replace the data in them with the data you want.

PSN ID
    Hybrid_Divide

Totally have no idea how I'd do that. But if I ever look into it, I'll ask around for help!

Timezone
    GMT -6

If you wanted to give WipEout 64 some different sounds, then through some reverse engineering of the code, you might might even be possible to implement higher fidelity music and sound effects without increasing the size of the game too significantly; for instance, sound effects from WipEout HD/2048 or from Unreal Tournament 3 and 4 converted into Ogg Vorbis or something... Or music that is in Amiga/ScreamTracker/Impulse Tracker format... though that last one would require a lot more work; even though the N64 hardware is capable of running ImpulseTracker music in a game without any problems (without a dedicated soundchip) and actually supports external codecs, the code for the game itself would have to be significantly altered in order load those MIDI-esque modules in place of compressed CD audio.

PSN ID
    Hybrid_Divide

I wouldn't do too much with it. Give it a few proper sounds from 2097 that were replaced in the n64 version by the female announcer.

Do you have the Contender Eliminated sound from the PS1 version? It's different than the PC version, and I can't seem to extract it.