PDA

View Full Version : RESOGUN - Wipeout Expansion

yawnstretch
10th June 2015, 04:08 PM
http://bit.ly/1f2JR8M

Seems Sony haven't entirely let the franchise go then...

AGgamer
10th June 2015, 04:58 PM
That's interesting.

Hellfire_WZ
10th June 2015, 06:17 PM
The lads and lasses up at Housemarque are jumping on the Anti Gravity bandwagon now and have announced that the five classic Wipeout teams will be playable ships in RESOGUN in their next expansion :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsiKBgRJc08

Hellfire_WZ
10th June 2015, 06:20 PM
Oops, you beat me to it :P

AGgamer
10th June 2015, 10:46 PM
I'll say it again: All this could be leading up to something at E3 this year. My fingers are crossed!

yawnstretch
11th June 2015, 06:18 AM
Oops, you beat me to it :P
____

;)

Hybrid Divide
11th June 2015, 06:25 PM
I'll say it again: All this could be leading up to something at E3 this year. My fingers are crossed!

I dunno about this year's E3, but between this and the new clothing line, it certainly keeps our hopes alive.

I just wish the WipEout ships were available for the PS3 version, as I lack a PS4.

Still, this is happy news!

AdHoc
11th June 2015, 08:23 PM
Guys, I have a good feeling, this year could be ours!

But even if there was some WipEout candy coming towards us, where would it leave the Liverpool lads?

AGgamer
11th June 2015, 09:52 PM
where would it leave the Liverpool lads?

I assume you mean R8 and The Designer's Republic. I assume they would just continue on to make Formula Fusion. We would get two awesome AG games, can't really complain about that can we?

AdHoc
11th June 2015, 10:40 PM
Sure, but if I was one of them, I'd probably feel a bit left out.

They embarked on the FF project because there wanted to fill the void that's the lack of a new WO game, but imagine if Sony announced they're working on a new episode without them. Harsh!

AGgamer
12th June 2015, 05:25 AM
It would be a pretty sad position to be in I'm sure. But honestly this could be what WipEout need's someone new, someone who will revive the franchise with their own take on the genre while still being loyal to the WipEout style. A new or revamped retro feel, new gameplay features, stuff we haven't seen before.

If I had to say, Liverpool died because WipEout never sold well. Why didn't it sell very well? I'd say because it never innovated. Every game was kinda the same as the last. WipEout, 2097, and 3 where all pretty alike, just building and improving on what was always there. Then there was pure, which was different than the original three but still followed the same formula. Then Pulse, HD Fury and 2048 progressively improving what Pure started.

And then there's WipEout Fusion, I believe Fusion was the start of Psygnosis/Liverpool's death, and not for the reason you may think. Fusion is the most unique WipEout there is, excessively different from all the other installations. It took risks, it tried innovative new ideas, and it got bashed. Why? Because the cult following fanbase didn't like it and wanted the same game over and over, and Psygnosis/Liverpool wanted to keep their fans happy of course so...

Pure is similar to 3... Pulse is an improvement on pure... HD is an improvement on pulse... 2048 is an improvement on HD. But nothing new is being added here, no new ideas are being explored, no innovation. Progressively the world outside of the cult fans got bored of seeing the same game over and over and lost interest. So Sony pulled the plug... no sense in making triple A games if nobody wants them.

A new take could be just what a new WipEout needs for exactly these reasons. And what's beautiful is the cult fans, us, can at least take comfort in knowing Formula Fusion will be like the standard WipEout formula was already know and love.

Two AG games. Can't lose.

Hellfire_WZ
12th June 2015, 10:05 AM
The chances of seeing anything related to another Wipeout game at E3 would be similar to the probability of me winning the Euromillions tonight. And then again on Tuesday.

And quite frankly I don't want to. There is no one left from any of the Wipeout teams left at Sony.

AdHoc
12th June 2015, 01:32 PM
Which doesn't mean they can't be rehired. I think it's common practice in the industry, so long there's some $$$ behind the project.

Hellfire_WZ
12th June 2015, 02:00 PM
They're all engaged in their own projects and studios now. Plus there's the whole issue of would they go back to the very people who threw their prized IP on the scrapheap in the first place? Remember 2048 was still being worked on and supported at the time, now it'll forever remain unfinished. I wouldn't be surprised if that cut pretty deep for quite a few of them.

Aaaaanyway, this has now gone horribly off topic :/

AdHoc
12th June 2015, 02:26 PM
Yeah, but unless you personally know some insiders, it's hard to know how and what has really happened. And as I hinted to, the Sony paycheck might be a bit nicer than what you get in an independent firm who relies on donations.

Hybrid Divide
12th June 2015, 03:54 PM
As I see it, I'm hopeful that if a new WipEout team is created, that they'll be able to be loyal to the franchise, and to us pilots.

I certainly wouldn't thumb my nose at a new game if it came out!