PDA

View Full Version : Nocturne 2014 - Wipeout 2097 / XL

Trilby
9th August 2014, 04:40 AM
Recently I've been organizing a Wipeout event with my friends over Skype, and since the player pool's looking small, I thought it might be a good idea to post something about it here, since no invitation is needed.

The challenge is called Nocturne, with the 2014 added if I ever do more Wipeout related stuff in future winters. The premise is relatively simple. Over three days ( Dec. 20 to Dec. 22 to be precise ) you're going to be performing Time Trials on all the different tracks in Wipeout 2097. What speed class you do them in is up to you, but preferably the one that's the most comfortably difficult for you, specifically. Once you've achieved a good time, you take a screenie of your time and send it to me through Skype. I need to know a few specific things : the track, the speed class, the time, and the ship you did it in. A video of the run would be appreciated, but is not in the slightest necessary. If it is the best time , I update the leaderboard with all the info. There's only one of me, so at night-time in the West Coast the leaderboard might not always be up to date. At midnight, Dec. 19-20, PST, the challenge begins, and at midnight Dec. 22-23, it ends. It's starting later in the year to get the max amount of participants. My computer will be on at all times to receive screenies for this. At noon PST Dec. 23, the final scores in each speed class are tallied up, and a winner in each speed class is announced, based on how many tracks they were top score on. If there is a tie in any speed class, a duel event will be held, early 2015.

The rules are pretty simple:
1. You can't submit any scores that you achieved before the beginning of the event, but practice is encouraged.
2. Any system or emulator is fine, but Playstation and Playstation emulators are preferred.
2a. If you're using an emulator, you must not use any hacks or tools. You must play it as though is was a legitimate console. Furthermore, no cheating.
3. No Piranha.
4. No built-in cheats that affect gameplay. The track cheat is the only exception to this, as the fact that you can't play any track with any speed class is stupid and limiting.
5. Time Trial only. Really, here, you're just hurting yourself.

I'm mostly looking for contestants here, but I'm also looking for mentors, as many of the pilots already signed up are new to the game. I'm also looking for someone to update the leaderboards who lives in Europe, as eight hours is quite the difference.

If you're interested, please contact me through Skype at fireflowerflight.

Here's the leaderboard to give you a better idea of how it's going to work:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Z5okICkYErLcqwB3xmKNl1vA42H3UmLXuaEavgeXylk/edit?usp=sharing

Jonny
9th August 2014, 12:10 PM
I think I´ll do this (until December it´s still time :)), but I see a major issue:

How do you want to proove that somebody didn´t summit a race, that was done before the three days?
-> Use a "checksum" that is given to all contender at the 19th or 20th (December, obviously). This checksum will consist of three letters and everybody has to enter it where you usually enter your nametag, take a screenshot and then (if they want) enter their name :P

TheConzio
9th August 2014, 12:51 PM
Yes, proof is needed for the races as Jonny said :)

And another issue (maybe), shouldn't all the contenders be on the same speed class? I'm not certain, but I'm pretty sure it takes more time to complete a race on a slower than a faster class. Correct me if I'm wrong, or if it's the other way around :+

Jonny
9th August 2014, 01:59 PM
I thought every Speed class can be used and every one has it´s own ranking!?

Trilby
9th August 2014, 03:27 PM
I think I´ll do this (until December it´s still time :)), but I see a major issue:

How do you want to proove that somebody didn´t summit a race, that was done before the three days?
-> Use a "checksum" that is given to all contender at the 19th or 20th (December, obviously). This checksum will consist of three letters and everybody has to enter it where you usually enter your nametag, take a screenshot and then (if they want) enter their name :P

I'm afraid I don't know anything about this checksum business, talk about it more on Skype? :redface: Also, each speed class has it's own winner. And it's the total time that you use, so you have to do two laps on Vector etc. etc.

ND-2-SPD
19th August 2014, 12:55 PM
Sound's cool, I haven't played 2097 in a while and I just found my original copy too! :g