PDA

View Full Version : Wii-U?

mannjon
30th July 2014, 01:07 AM
Does anyone own a Wii U here on the Zone? I keep seeing these awesome Mario Kart commercials, and I hear there is an "open world" Zelda game coming, and a slated future release for Xenoblade Chronicles X. I know that the graphics are a little "last-gen" in comparison to PS4 and XBox None, but are there any other quality good games already released that would make the Wii U a good buy?

And how about that Mario Kart?

Snakenator1
30th July 2014, 09:56 AM
I got a Wii U as a birthday present and I love it :)

Peoples opinions are as biased as can get today trying to defend Sony and Microsoft and slandering Nintendo these days, most of them have never tried playing a Wii U.
The games are great! The gamepad offers a unique experience which I never had before. Nintendo are great at ingenuity and they never let me down with the Wii U.

I recommend Zombi U to despite what reviewers say (reviewers are as biased as hell today) its pure amazing experience, play it in the dark on your own. You'll never be more scared of a zombie encounter, the perma-death and kill your zombified previous character is also amazing :)

And, and, and got the new super smash bros coming soon :D :D can't wait for it

Knux_Chaotix
30th July 2014, 11:56 AM
I'd like a Wii U purely for the Sonic games on it. That and its another console to add to the collection :P No other reason for me to have one really. But I'll be waiting until it comes down in price.

mannjon
30th July 2014, 12:33 PM
Hey, Snake! Interesting, how does the touchscreen pad work as a main controller? It seems like it would be similar to having another Vita around (big object, expensive object, difficult to store etc...) Does the weight effect it much?

Oh, and a big one... what about the backwards compatibility of the games and hardware? I have about 40 Wii games, and a bunch of Wiimotes and such. Please tell me that they all work for the Wii U. I would be pretty hacked off if Nintendo followed the PS3 trend and not allow the previous gen software to be played on the new console. I actually have 2 Wii's -which are really just 2 Netflix boxes at this point because the laser needs fixing to read. Would be nice to play all my old games again.

Snakenator1
30th July 2014, 12:55 PM
To answer your question:

1. The gamepad is very lightweight and very durable, I watched a video of a guy drop it on all its sides from about 1.5meters in the air and the gamepad was undamaged (just a scratch). For games the gamepad sometimes serves as your inventory, camera, controller itself and aiming weapons. Its very ergonomic and allows a lot more real time things to happen in game. Example in zombie U the gamepad serves as your mini map, inventory screen and aiming device for snipers. If you want to loot something you have to use the gamepad to collect the items, but this leaves you vulnerable to attack as the gamepad allows real time strategy. Its really good :)

2. The Wii U IS backwards compatible with all Wii games but not GameCube, however if you play a Wii game on a Wii U you will have to start a new game. But Nintendo addressed this by allowing you to do a system transfer between your Wii and Wii U, what this does is transfer all of the data saved on your Wii (save data, apps, games etc) onto your Wii U. Basically if you do this and play a Wii game on the U you will be able to carry on where you left off. But this renders your normal Wii useless as all its save games, apps and what not are now gone.

I personally only play Wii U games on the U and play Wii games on the normal Wii so that I can keep using both, but the option is there.

Also for your Netflix, the Wii U comes with:
Youtube
Netflix
Love film

These are pre-installed onto the system when you buy it from your retailer so that was very nice :)
Hope that answers your question.