PDA

View Full Version : PSP can't turn on alone; battery replacement the solution?

Albino Ace
3rd July 2014, 01:29 PM
Hello all,

To begin, I tried searching for a similar thread in this forum and didn't find one. My apologies if a thread like this already exists. :(

To those who still use their PSPs, I have a situation: Finally found my lost one after a couple years or so, and out of boredom/nostalgia, I tried turning it on. Nothing happened. It would only turn on if plugged into its power adaptor, and when it did, I had to reset the time and found my 1.6 MB memory stick emptied. Trying to hold the darn thing, when the cord accidentally unplugged itself (power light would go from orange to green), it immediately shut itself off.

My question is this: aside from being careful with the power adaptor and perhaps not attempting to play while it would charge, would replacing the battery solve the issue, or could something within the PSP itself be damaged/old/worn out? I tried googling the battery type (3.6 V, 1200 mAh), and it only seems to be a few bucks, so assuming any local electronics stores carry it, replacing it wouldn't be a problem. I just hope it isn't more than that. Also wouldn't explain how the memory stick was suddenly empty...

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

JABBERJAW
3rd July 2014, 02:48 PM
I bought a psp for 5 bucks that would not charge and only worked through the power supply. I bought a new battery ( the 3600) and it worked fine after that. I don't know why your data was wiped though.

Hellfire_WZ
3rd July 2014, 05:58 PM
Yes, that sounds very much like a battery issue. The system itself uses a small amount of battery power to store system information like the date and time, so if it is removed or non-functional it will not be able to remember it when the power is switched off. The fact that it works fine when connected to the power supply rules out an issue with the PSP itself unless there is some kind of problem with the connection from the battery to the system, but the only way to tell if there is is to try a new one. Be careful of cheap ones though, they can swell up over time and cause problems.