PDA

View Full Version : Any F1 or NASCAR fans here?

KronicReaper
6th January 2014, 06:12 PM
Hey folks its me again, I have two questions for you. Are anybody from Wipeout Zone are F1 fans or NASCAR fans here? Me I'm a Dale Earnhardt Sr. and Dale Jr. fan. What race driver in F1 or NASCAR you cheer for?

DDD113
6th January 2014, 07:07 PM
I'm mainly a NASCAR fan, although I watch F1 every time it's on a standard channel. I cheer for Tony Stewart and the upcoming prodigy Ricky Stenhouse, Jr. I actually met Stenhouse at the Kansas Speedway race weekend in October, that was a pretty fun one. :)

Jonny
7th January 2014, 01:01 AM
Vettel-Fan over here

DDD113
7th January 2014, 02:38 AM
Hey! At least someone else likes Vettel! I was always under the impression that everyone else hated him, so I was unsure of whether to show my fandom or not. :)

traksta1
7th January 2014, 12:38 PM
Lifelong F1 fan here. From Mid 60's till now. I am hoping the 2014 regulations are not going to be a step in the wrong direction for the sport. I really can't emphasise enough how much the sound of these engines IRL is the reason many of us will stray away from the sofa and fork out hundreds of pounds to actually go and experience. The "new" politically correct power units have not impressed anybody much with their sonic abilities so far and I believe they have their work cut out to do so with their tiny, fuel starved, rev capped motors and with a turbocharger blocking the exhaust, Me and my mate Bernie are worried a bit.

P.s Get well soon M.S

docfo4r
7th January 2014, 04:18 PM
Am not watching motorsports too often but I am a fan of Nascar racing games, so I have one on the PS3^^

Jonny
8th January 2014, 11:59 AM
I want dat laud V10 engines back. The sound is a reason why I still play F1 05. Another reason is that the game is by SL ^^

Dirtbag
9th January 2014, 09:23 PM
I've played the F1 2012/2013 games and I watch it on occasion, but I'm more a WRC fan and IMO (No hate) I don't count NASCAR as a sport. To me it's about as pointless as drag racing.

DDD113
9th January 2014, 11:32 PM
What's different about NASCAR versus F1 or WRC when it comes to driver athleticism? Hmm? That's right! Nothing. It's really hypocritical to say "no hate" but then say it's pointless. I'm not a soccer fan myself, but just because I don't like it doesn't mean I don't consider it a sport, or the players athletes. It doesn't mean I have any less respect for those who enjoy it. To each his own, that's what this world needs to learn. There's just no respect, I mean, really, for people who love drag racing or NASCAR (NASCAR for me), it's an insult, and you can't hide that. It's one thing to say 'it's not my favorite' or 'I don't like it,' but it's another to say it's pointless.

Sorry for the rant, I usually takes a lot to provoke me, but I'm tired of hearing that every single day and getting accosted for liking a sport which you don't. Accept people's differences or move on.

Dirtbag
10th January 2014, 07:11 AM
O: Sorry. I see it as this, it's my opinion to not like something too, people should accept my difference (No, I don't actually care). I don't have to accept everything on this planet as ok. Just cause rape is a thing doesn't mean I have to "accept" it for those who like it. (Just an example. Of course I like it. C: ) That's silly. I never said I hate the fans, you can enjoy what you want and watch what you want, I just don't enjoy it myself and feel as though if it didn't exist it wouldn't have impacted my life. I never tried to speak against you or for you, just stating my own opinion as if it really mattered on the internet. (It doesn't. :P)

And I wouldn't say each sport is the same. They all have their own methods and skill sets when it comes to auto-racing, even drag racing takes a level of skill.

Knux_Chaotix
10th January 2014, 07:41 AM
Just cause rape is a thing doesn't mean I have to "accept" it for those who like it.

Right, Im sure you could have found a better example than that. Things like that can trigger people...

DDD113
10th January 2014, 09:40 PM
^^ Yeah, really. I'm not talking about sympathizing with rapists, Dirtbag (hey, that screen name fits pretty well!), I'm talking about common courtesy. I accept the fact that you don't like NASCAR, I just am a little offended that you have to strike it down.

Dirtbag
10th January 2014, 11:22 PM
Sorry I caused trouble, and sorry for being a Dirtbag. :P

DDD113
11th January 2014, 02:56 AM
Well, I'm sorry we had to get into an argument, and to most people it will seem I overreacted, but if you knew just how much crap I take over here for watching "cars turn left all day and go in circles" it would make sense to you.

Rapier Racer
15th January 2014, 06:50 PM
NASCAR fan here, Kyle Busch is my driver and has been back since his first season in the no 5 car. I feel that dale earnhardt jr is a overrated somewhat it has to be said.

Mietepiet
15th January 2014, 08:34 PM
Huge Ayrton Senna fan here, but I lost interest in F1 when Schumacher won his first title by crashing into Damon Hill. Schumacher turned out to be one of the greatest legends in F1, but for me it's fairplay that counts most.

Now I'm into MotoGP, SBK and even Dutch superbike (cheap tickets great sound). I find the races more spectacular, closer and more overtaking actions compared to 4 wheel races.

IMO (No hate) I don't count NASCAR as a sport.
I used to think the same, untill I raced on Gran Turismo 5. It's a big thrill, close racing and you realy need a lot of skills for that slipstream overtaking

Jonny
16th January 2014, 08:32 PM
A Senna fan is talking about fairness. That irony XD
BTW Schumacher blocked Hill ina hard but sporty way, but Hill can't wait and crashed in the side of Schumi.

dreadofmondays
16th January 2014, 09:43 PM
I'm increasingly of the opinion that those that feel like they have to voice their dero opinions of nascar are morons. This is mostly aimed at those youtube comments on every nascar video and on every F1 video. 'Nascar is just turning left!' 'F1 is dull!' It's a debate that everyone looks stupid for entering into, because ultimately you could be doing so many other productive things but you're instead adding hate to this argument.
It's the same sort of principle for eg reddit. If you see someone trolling, you could go on the thread and insult them and tell them they are terrible - or you could just not say anything and be a better person.
As for nascar haters, with their tiny closed minds: It's a sport, okay? It's just as intense as your F1 racing, it's a real sport, people enjoy it, clearly nobody cares about your opinion. So please get off your high horse and maybe consider the fact that there are sometimes other people in life that like things different to you (assuming that sentence doesn't explode your brain)

Mietepiet
16th January 2014, 11:39 PM
A Senna fan is talking about fairness. That irony XD
BTW Schumacher blocked Hill ina hard but sporty way, but Hill can't wait and crashed in the side of Schumi.

Schumi-Hill 1994: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kW0t4Ug11v8
Senna-Prost 1990: http://youtu.be/foiswIS44AM
[/offtopic] ;)

DDD113
17th January 2014, 12:58 AM
NASCAR fan here, Kyle Busch is my driver and has been back since his first season in the no 5 car. I feel that dale earnhardt jr is a overrated somewhat it has to be said. Kyle! Not my favorite per se, but I will concede that his driving talents exceed most and he has gotten much better. I'm actually kinda disappointed he and the new Kansas Speedway surface don't get along, I never get to see him really perform in person.

Rossriders
17th January 2014, 01:12 AM
I'm a fan of both...

Well I'm a fan of motorsports in general be it two wheels, four, and on water. Though I follow more sports car, and touring car than F1 or Stock cars.

I think one reason why I've not dismissed NASCAR is partly due to what games I have played, be it the more arcady NASCAR 98 or the more sim intense Monte Carlo COT you drive in iracing.com or as mentioned before, the stock cars in GT5.

Every form of motorsport has a difficulty curve and multiple factors, be it getting used to your machine, adapting to a circuit no matter it's complexity or simplicity, conditions of said circuit, your opponents, and so on. I'm not dismissive because I have nothing but respect for all forms of motorsport because to some extent, to even take a part takes some serious skill, more so not to make an embrassment of yourself be it by accident, poor prepration or a number of other factors.

I am more akin to following sports car racing such as the upcoming TUDOR United Sports Car Championship, which combines NASCAR's Grand-am series and the IMSA ALMS minus Prototype 1, as well as what I consider a bit oddball but fun to watch and compeitive...the Pirelli world challenge where at least in GT and GTS, the racing is intense, the drivers are interesting and the mix of cars on the track can be something.

Maybe I should look around more ofthen but how many times do you see a racing series where a Cadillac CTS-V, Audi R8, Chevrolet Corvette, Nissan GTR, Volvo S60 among others are all viable potential winners in a race? Or in GTS with a Chevy Camaro, Porsche Cayman, Kia Optima among others. I like the variety and I like the racing involved.

enough rambling from me here on the subject for now.

Jonny
17th January 2014, 04:44 PM
Schumi-Hill 1994: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kW0t4Ug11v8
Senna-Prost 1990: http://youtu.be/foiswIS44AM

Actually both seem to be normal race accidents...
Actually I mean that Senna wasn´t always sporty outside the circuit. An example is his first meeting with Irvine ^^

Mietepiet
17th January 2014, 05:48 PM
If I was born 50km to the east, I would probably share your opinion ;)

In a German way: Schumi showed great skills, breaking his right front and still being able to lure Hill into the inside, where he could close the gap.
For me it was a tragic end to a tragic season. I will always miss those (teammate) rivalries Senna and Post put on.

Jonny
17th January 2014, 06:28 PM
You may think that each person is fan of his fellow countryman, but espactally in germany this isn´t true.
I don´t know why, noone knows^^

Amaroq Dricaldari
31st January 2014, 07:16 AM
I watched NASCAR a lot as a kid. In fact, my first word was car.

Mitchemous
31st January 2014, 01:59 PM
I'm a fan of F1, I'm in the US though and I don't have cable tv so I miss a lot of the action but I do enjoy it. Also the movie Rush just came out and it is AMAZING! If you haven't seen it and you like F1 you should check it out, saw it twice in theaters lol

Amaroq Dricaldari
31st January 2014, 06:30 PM
Only if they make a WipEout version :P
Nah, I'm just kidding. F1 is okay.

Jonny
9th June 2014, 05:01 PM
Who of you saw this AMAZING Canada Grand Prix?

Amaroq Dricaldari
9th June 2014, 06:12 PM
Not me. I was busy wasting my sanity away with Super Hexagon.

Oryx Crake
16th June 2014, 08:07 AM
I have to admit I've never really been a motorsport fan... might sound strange coming from someone who's been playing wipeout games for nearly 20 years, but for me wipeout is something slightly different. I have tried watching f1, touring car championships, nascar, and even drag racing on the rare occasion it was on TV here. None of it ever struck a cord with me.

I find myself wondering what the big difference between them really is, save drag racing which isn't the same sort of racing really. And I wonder why there is such a divide between F1 and Nascar fans in particular. I mean it's not like you can say one is a working mans sport and one is for the upper classes, which is an argument I've heard a few times. They both require hugely expensive machines and arenas that are purpose built for the sport, making them if anything sports you can only really indulge in if you have a lot of money. I can see where the different sports would require slightly different skillsets for the drivers, yes but, not what makes one better than the other really.

possesed13
16th June 2014, 10:57 AM
I find myself wondering what the big difference between them really is, save drag racing which isn't the same sort of racing really. And I wonder why there is such a divide between F1 and Nascar fans in particular. I mean it's not like you can say one is a working mans sport and one is for the upper classes, which is an argument I've heard a few times. They both require hugely expensive machines and arenas that are purpose built for the sport, making them if anything sports you can only really indulge in if you have a lot of money. I can see where the different sports would require slightly different skillsets for the drivers, yes but, not what makes one better than the other really.

Being at any top motorsport event means your skills are at max. the only thing that changes is the pod :)
I cant say who has the overall abilities in driving skills although f1 seems more demanding than nascar... but what about wrc where you have to dance on dirt or motogp.
besides i don't know many pilots going from one sport to another... and whoever done it didn't do anything really great!
Reminds me of jordan playing baseball :P
For them is the adrenaline and competition for us is to talk about them!
.... but ... we have wipeout :)

traksta1
16th June 2014, 11:25 AM
Well, I have to admit I've always been a motorsport fan. What is "better" will be in the the eye of the beholder so I won't be going there. As to the differences between Nascar and F1. Heck, where to start. Technically, one is a leading edge, no expense spared prototype, refined by year on year innovation and evolution by engineering geniuses on a budget not too dissimilar to that of N.A.S.A. This has created by far the quickest 4 wheeled vehicles, on any given race track that human ingenuity has managed since the birth of the motor car some 100 years or so ago. The other is a "stock" car, designed to be a safe, entertaining, stable platform, financially and technically, for a race series much more focused on the drivers. My personal preference is for the tech not the tractor.

P.s T.V is relatively inexpensive and I heartily indulge in 3 days of excellent F1 HD coverage of all the practice, qualifying and racing every two weeks or so for approximately 9 months of the year.

Oryx Crake
16th June 2014, 11:48 AM
traksta see thats what I'm saying, they are different sports of course but as a rule I don't see how one would be technically speaking more demanding on the driver than the other, on the whole.

as for the tv, yeah but thats as inexpensive with nascar what I'm talking about is people making the argument that nascar is somehow more of a sport "for the working man" which I mean... I call BS on that...

I dunno I really don't have much to say in this debate, I'm really just scratching my head as to why it's a heated one especially in regards to nascar vs f1.

Jonny
16th June 2014, 12:01 PM
I just wonder why limiting this discussion on NASCAR and F1. Of course there are also other great series like IndyCar, DTM or 24h Races.

traksta1
16th June 2014, 12:30 PM
Totally with you, Oryx, on any argument that promotes one over the other based on what social class one believes the sport is aimed at. B.S of the highest order. There is little doubt that Nascar is geared much more towards trying to entertain the general public with an easy to follow, TV commercial friendly and superficially more exciting show than F1 attempts to be although there have been some "gimmicks" introduced to F1 in recent years intended to "spice up the show".

- - - Updated - - -

Because we are waiting for you to post about them Jonny. :) Terrific Le Mans 24hrs this last weekend. Well done Audi for the win, Porsche for a competitive return to the top class and tsk tsk for Toyota dropping the ball...again. Watched most of it live. Did I say I was a bit of a motorsport fan?.

Jonny
16th June 2014, 04:30 PM
Well, I wanted to watch the Indy500, but no german free tv channel broadcasted it :(
DTM: BMW is supreme and Mercedes just failing with the new cars. I'm looking forward to 2015 when the Japanese manufacturer join.
24h du Mans: Didn't watched it, but there is still the ADAC 24h-Rennen on the Nürburgring.

But I don't think that F1 is something for the rich people only, anyone ever visited a Grand Prix? BTW this year I'm travelling to the Belgian GP in Spa-Francochamps and the DTM Final in Hockenheim.

possesed13
17th June 2014, 12:33 PM
speaking of shows and demands for both viewers and drivers...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRWp9rhfS_0

full throttle... enjoy :)

Jonny
17th June 2014, 04:37 PM
Not avaiable in Germany, cause GEMA D:
However, 322kph...pfff...the Williams reached 341kph at the Canada GP :P

possesed13
17th June 2014, 04:42 PM
320 on public road not on a track.... you should see it first

Jonny
17th June 2014, 05:48 PM
Not avaiable in Germany, cause GEMA D:

:rolleyes

Jonny
4th August 2014, 12:37 AM
Who of you is going to visit the Belgian GP in three weeks?