PDA

View Full Version : Will there be a new WipEout and how would it look like? -Your thoughts

Jonny
4th January 2014, 02:39 PM
The title says´t :D

I think there will surely be a new WipEout (may just sayin´ it because I want a new WipEout:hyper).
So the thing is...when did it tke place?
Actually there are 3 possible solutions:
1.) HD remake of the PS1 Classics - just a HD remake with better physiks and optical damage simulation,but no more weapons.
2.) WipEout 2025 - rumors said that SL was working on something like this.Would be a normal racing game just a bit futuristic.
3.) Something after Pulse - May in 2258 the FX500 League?

What do you think?

docfo4r
4th January 2014, 06:09 PM
A new WipEout would be awesome, would finally be a reason for me to buy the PS4, haha.

To 1. -> If Sony would continue the WipEout series, I think they would at first wanna present a totally new WO on the new gen instead of a remake. But of course an HD remake of some classic WO titles would be nice!
To 2. -> I certainly hope not. I mean, yeah these magnet-cars racers in the 2048 intro look interesting and I'd love to play such a game. But that wouldn't be a "WipEout" title for me.
To 3. -> I hope for this one the most.

Generally it would be nice to have a new WO on the PS4. Saves me from setting up my camera and hooking the PS3 to my computer to record races :D But I hope it wouldn't be too different and too experimental. Actually it would really be a shame if Sony would drop WipEout completely, one of the oldest racing series in general and yet always fresh and futuristic!

DDD113
4th January 2014, 07:29 PM
You never know, with the formation of Firesprite, if Sony had any class, they would hand over the IP to them for the continuity of true WipEout. That would restore my faith and good feeling toward Sony.

Jonny
5th January 2014, 01:31 AM
Awsome would be a WipEout for PC...
For me the story is the most important part :D

DDD113
5th January 2014, 01:35 AM
If you have a powerful enough PC (which you would have to have for WO if it was made for it) you can emulate Pure and Pulse smoothly (and in 1080p 60 fps), and Fusion as well, but likely not in it's full functioning state. Then you can use the Motionjoy DS3 Tool to hook up a DualShock 3 to your computer and play them. If you want more info on how to do this (legally), just PM me. ;)

Back on topic, I think if they made a game about the FX500, they need to take some elements of Fusion track style into it. Now don't criticize me just yet, hear me out. I'm not saying all the crazy loops and all the slightly over-the-top track design, keep the normal use of mag strips seen on the FX400 tracks, but add more nature, and more light. Have open sections like Fusion, 2048 and SSGX, and have stunning scenery, even in the bright and Utopian cities.

I know I've preached a dark, gritty, dystopian style in another thread, and I still think that's the way WO should have gone, but it couldn't just turn around that fast from the FX400 to the FX500 without a cataclysmic collapse like the Fall of the F9000, which I'm not cheering for, so in that case I hope they continue the bright, natural style of Pure, with better graphics, of course. ;)

Synergy2048
5th January 2014, 01:40 AM
For me, a sequel after the FX400 league to FX500 league, around 2215 to 2230's. While I like to see new craft or new teams, I still would like the Fury craft to make a comeback or current with more ship liveries. Maybe another track on Mars, aside from Firestar, only this time, the planet is completely terraformed. Last but not least, a cockpit view, damage physics that can mess up your craft (Optional), and floating physics, just like the original WO games on ps1 or like sodium 2 in PSHome. If Firespite can get the rights of the licence, then its very possible to see a new WO for PS4, just as long they stay true to the series.

If for a prequel/remake, they should remake Wip3out for obvious reasons.

As for the Mars Terraforming, this video inspired me of the Idea, including what might have happened over the years between the Original WipEout (2052) to current (2214). Imagine racing on this planet 200 years from now, though it might not look completed of plantlife.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5k0MtlWPOs

DDD113
5th January 2014, 01:46 AM
The Fury ships were interesting, and you would think at least some of their style would live on in an FX500 sequel. Cool idea with the terraformed Mars track too, that would kinda bring the series full-circle, and be a cool feature. I agree with the floaty physics as well, maybe a combination of the first 3 games' handling style. I have to disagree with the realistic damage though, that got kind of annoying in Fusion, and would allow accurate, violent players to beat up and dominate skilled, clean racers in races online. I've never been a fan of damage effects in an arcade racer.

dreadofmondays
5th January 2014, 02:05 AM
I really like the pristine F1 style wO that HD presents. I love the idea of having a world where this sort of thing can be done without negatives on the environment or whatever, and that so many countries have the means to be beautiful places to race in. Basically I think it's a nice change; you'll find tons of other racers that are gritty or dark or have backstories about human excess and destruction and ****. The real world's heading that way anyway, so I think it's good to have a vision of a world with those problems solved and that's what I'm hoping to get out of the world behind SSGX.

To be honest, the real story, drama and excitement for racers doesn't come from environmental concerns, it comes from corporate & business conflicts between people and groups. This is something that wO always did really well.

Synergy2048
5th January 2014, 02:09 AM
Well, maybe some scrapes or burnt marks are fine for me. The Fury craft already look next-gen for the FX500 which is why I prefer them again but more detailed upclose. Star Citizen's graphics are an example, would be awsome for a next gen WP to have an option to be in First-Person mode and look at the craft in the hangers or in photo mode, but that's my opinion.

By the way, "More camera options, exactly like Gran Turismo 5's photo mode."

DDD113
5th January 2014, 02:42 AM
I really like the pristine F1 style wO that HD presents.

I think the best F1 styled AG racers are WO3, SlipStream GX (in it's current build), and WOHD in that order, 3 being the most precise, and F1-like. In my opinion it's the hardest WipEout game, and that is a good point to bring up that it should definitely be duplicated.

PS: It's funny, because my two favorite style ideas for WipEout are the gritty dystopia and then the Pure-like natural beauty. Odd that I love them both, considering their being so different. I guess I just like variety, lol :)

Jonny
5th January 2014, 10:49 PM
May wO1 fits to you. Some "everyday" tracks, ghe distopian Korodera and the mindfukn FireStar track.

DDD113
6th January 2014, 12:05 AM
I do love the original WipEout, after I took the painstaking time to learn it (and not bounce to a stop off every wall on the track! :P)

Jonny
6th January 2014, 01:03 AM
I forgot to say...
Actually dreadofmondays is right. Its good that there is at least one futuristic universe that is not distopian ^^

DDD113
6th January 2014, 02:37 AM
Okay, okay, I see no one else likes dystopia, but it's not even dystopia that I have been advocating. It's just the less common setting in WipEout, like the industrial sector. I like that dark feel of Korodera, Modesto Heights (Pure) and Exostra Run. It just seems like there is little coverage of the gritty areas, which are always a part of the world too, and I just have felt in the recent games like there is a hole in the future world.

I'm not advocating for "the sky to be toxic orange with 10 moons flying around the sky," I just like some variation with settings, clean cities, dark industrial sectors, flowing natural tracks, I like them all, and I just wished there was more of a balance.

Jonny
6th January 2014, 11:45 AM
Yeah you are right, may Pure fits to you #deja vú

DDD113
6th January 2014, 07:14 PM
The thing they would have to be careful about in a new WO is limited mag-strip use. Some of the Pulse tracks really overused it, just trying to show it off for the new title (Vertica, de Konstruct, Moa Therma, << even though that one's not bad). Really, the beauty of WipEout isn't to go vertical and sideways and upside down just because you can, but only when you need to, and you don't want to use a jump or steep ramp. The excessive track design takes some away from the game, and I think, used in moderation and mostly for elevation changes, although some cool features could still be included, the game would feel very much more realistic and smooth.

terra-wrists
6th January 2014, 10:20 PM
i see this, its pretty cool:

http://www.maniapark.com/ressource.php?id=456

DDD113
6th January 2014, 10:23 PM
Yep, those Trackmania skins are quite well done, I applaud those who made them.

AGSys
7th January 2014, 12:19 AM
If you have a powerful enough PC (which you would have to have for WO if it was made for it) you can emulate Pure and Pulse smoothly (and in 1080p 60 fps), and Fusion as well, but likely not in it's full functioning state. Then you can use the Motionjoy DS3 Tool to hook up a DualShock 3 to your computer and play them. If you want more info on how to do this (legally), just PM me. ;)

Back on topic, I think if they made a game about the FX500, they need to take some elements of Fusion track style into it. Now don't criticize me just yet, hear me out. I'm not saying all the crazy loops and all the slightly over-the-top track design, keep the normal use of mag strips seen on the FX400 tracks, but add more nature, and more light. Have open sections like Fusion, 2048 and SSGX, and have stunning scenery, even in the bright and Utopian cities.

I know I've preached a dark, gritty, dystopian style in another thread, and I still think that's the way WO should have gone, but it couldn't just turn around that fast from the FX400 to the FX500 without a cataclysmic collapse like the Fall of the F9000, which I'm not cheering for, so in that case I hope they continue the bright, natural style of Pure, with better graphics, of course. ;)

Pretty much this ^

But nonetheless here are my thoughts on this. I would like it if they:

1. Made longer and more difficult tracks and faster speed classes than Phantom. The more difficult tracks idea isn't to be confused with more convoluted tracks, I mean more along the lines of them including sections where you require a lot of pitching/SS'ing skills, airbraking and actually letting go of the thruster more to maneuver the ships safely to stay on track. A little like Citta Nuova but at insane speeds.

2. Improved the physics to make it seem more...natural and less mechanical than in HD. They could kinda take one step back and incorporate a "classic" setting in which the ships would travel like they did in the Psygnosis days. I think this was mentioned in that other WipEout inspired game thread called AGRC2208.

3. Incorporated 2 or more main modes like WOHD with one reminiscent of that dark, dystopian inspired one being more closer to post F9000, and another one being more in-keeping with Pure's atmosphere of being nature-ful and brightly lit.

4. Included new modes such as that rumored one a while in WO2048 with the zombie ships. It could be Zone inspired (like Detonator and Zone Battle) but you have to survive as long as you can with other zombie ships trying to take you down. The tracks could be more wider than your average one though, like Syncopia. Another awesome mode concept with different sub-modes (like Zone) would be team-based ones. We could have team racing, Eliminator, Zone Battle, and the like. We could also have a sort of demolition derby sort of thing with a really huge flat bowl shaped arena where you have the Detonator ships and you can shoot the crap out of other ships with different special weapons exclusive to each racing team. Getting back to Zone, we could have another survival type mode where buildings or generally your surroundings would be getting crumpled and destroyed around you and you have to make it through the ordeal - this would go well with that dystopian theme as well as having ship damage for those wanting that.

5. Let us position the camera where ever we want in and around the ship, so if someone was making videos or showing off their skills we could get really cool looking views. This brings me to my second point. WE NEED A REPLAY OPTION. Not everyone records every single race they take part in. And some people don't even have HD-DVRs, let alone capture devices. And what if something so freaking ridiculous happened and you missed it? They should make an option where you can save replays of your races and then customize them later for uploading or just saving onto the HDD.

6. Made an actual story mode. It would be epic if they did the whole "my family's legacy has always been AG Racing but when my father died, everything died with him. So now I have to take on the mantle of being the greatest AG pilot in the F or FX- league". It sounds like the usual cliche racing movie with some heart and drama but it could work for WipEout, who knows? I know they have had amazing writers throughout WipEout's history so why not just make something of it? If not the personal type of story, it could also revolve around major corporations trying to take down independent teams like Icaras and said smaller teams try to achieve the best and in the end show everyone who's boss. One a little similar to that would be the whole WipEout Pure situation where Triakis won but their reverse inertia tech was outlawed and AG-SYS won. Or it could involve small story arcs of every team to show the whole league from their differing perspectives. I don't exactly know, but the point is, a story mode is kinda long overdue what with WipEout's rich history. Some (or even most) people may not like this story mode idea but try to keep an open mind. You never know what may work if done right :)

I know these are all scrambled and whatnot but they were fresh from my brain and I literally just threw them out onto the screen :P Also, some of these ideas/features may have already been in other racers but I don't see why we can't have them all WipEout-themed :P

Jonny
7th January 2014, 01:13 AM
The story thing is cool.
Let's say it's the F3600, you are Arial Tetsuo and as everybody knows she is the greatest along with Kel Solaar and (later) Natsha Belmondo. And she retieres in 2055 (round about). So you have 3 years and you have to win at least 2 titles. And between races and test sessions there are cut scenes and so on. Like DTM/ToCA Race Driver a caRPG was, or in this case a cRaftPG :-P

DDD113
7th January 2014, 02:47 AM
I always wished they had season mode for the campaign, with other bonus events scattered throughout. But not like 2048's season mode, like a full 40-60 race tournament for the annual championship title.

Aeralys
7th January 2014, 11:26 AM
I trust in the deliverance of a good Single player campaign and fun original tracks. I would just want a more varied online. More team racing options and head to head Detonator? Shoot a bomb, a new one appears on the opponents side, bit like a racing Bust-a-Move. Also something like a Barrel Roll off race would be cool, where positions are given in order of players who performed the most successful BR's in a number of laps, just to encourage practicing those tricky ones. Online speed laps and TT's would be good too. It would simulate green racing somewhat, where all players are non contactable, basically acting as ghosts in front/behind your SL/TT.

And of course a SELECT RANDOM TRACK option online. Hate picking courses, that's why I never host.

Ace3000
7th January 2014, 12:48 PM
i see this, its pretty cool:

http://www.maniapark.com/ressource.php?id=456

Have you seen this? http://www.maniapark.com/ressource.php?id=240

DDD113
7th January 2014, 10:33 PM
I believe there's a 2048 Qirex variant too, but I haven't the time to check.

marcingru
8th January 2014, 01:23 AM
Like the idea of longer track ,with smooth corners like tech de ra or Aphiseum with diffrend elevation also .That Pulse/HD racing mechanics would be awesome on phantom(or faster) classes with F1 feeleng.
I would love to see come back of tracks like , Arc Prime, Fort Gale .
Gretzz Marcin

DDD113
8th January 2014, 01:54 AM
Arc Prime and Fort Gale. ^^ Exactly. Those tracks should have made it to HD.

GalacticSpartan
10th January 2014, 03:26 AM
Since there's 2 studios out, hopefully there's another WipEout in the horizon. I'd like to see more tracks based outside of earth, like maybe another visit to the moon, or mars. Maybe go a bit more further and earth would have space colonies on like Jupiter, Europa, Titan, or even on Ceres. I hope the tracks would have a reverse section like they did in Pulse and HD. Hopefully too, they can do like a full on campaign, like doing contracts and have more game types. Maybe do longer tracks such as this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_ZWjJF9LZo

PureSpeed7
28th July 2014, 04:26 PM
Actually, I don't think I would like an HD remake. Maybe a new game set in that time period.
I would be fine with a 2025 sort of game with futuristic cars but I would rather have a FX500 game
with new ships.:)