PDA

View Full Version : One more request for ship referneces for drawing

Rossriders
30th December 2013, 02:05 AM
I know I keep bringing this up for quite a bit, since I've mentioned to date Wipeout Fusion and WipEout Pulse, since nearly every other game I can find a reference for.

Almost... WipEout 3 has been partially taken care of thanks to Andy Whitely's website with the concept art and renders, and apart from the FX-350 Assegai Fury, A 3d modeler was kind enough to publish his reference pictures of the Wipeout craft, which I eagerly got a hold of. Wipeout pulse again mentioned taken care of to an extent thanks to Darkdrium777.

So I suppose apart from front, rear, side, profile, 3/4 (Front and rear), top and bottom pictures of all ships if possible if it isn't too much an issue would be nice.

I guess while I'm at it...where would I'd be able to find concept art for the original Wipeout (F3600), 2097/XL (F5000) as well as Fusion (F9000) if possible?

and thanks in any event...and sorry for taking so damn long to show something...life and whatnot.

Then again...I'm finally getting to using references for a drawings, said references I collected at least 2 to 7 years ago.

That and uncovered some old Gundam references from 10+ years ago. Gonna strop rambling now...

Till later.

Xpand
8th January 2014, 11:07 PM
... concept art for the original Wipeout (F3600), 2097/XL (F5000) ...

I don't have concept art (Let's face it, finding actual concept art from 90's wipeout games is a very rare occurrence.), but I have the in-game 3D models that vincoof ripped and I re-textured (download link in description):
WO1
http://threedmaniak.deviantart.com/art/Wipeout-1995-All-Ships-Download-316256503?q=gallery%3AThreeDManiak%2F25962541&qo=54

WO2097:
http://threedmaniak.deviantart.com/art/Wipeout-2097-Ship-models-download-317684215?q=gallery%3AThreeDManiak%2F25962541&qo=53

I do have pictures of each of the teams in WO1, just search around my gallery, none for WO2097's, but I can render them.

Jonny
11th January 2014, 10:06 AM
May a bit Off-Topic, but is it possible to convert the models in other racing games, for example Grand Prix 4?

Xpand
12th January 2014, 05:06 PM
Not with the tecniques vincoof used for these. The model file format is probably very different.

vincoof
13th January 2014, 09:14 AM
Maybe you can take a look at the topic I opened for extracting 3D models, there are a few links about video game model extraction:
http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?8897-Extracting-WipEout-3D-models-(large-images-allowed)

Jonny
14th January 2014, 03:29 PM
I think converting them to TrackMania wouldn´t be that hard. Everyone over there who want´s to build a car models them in 3ds, the same for GP4. But I´m a noob in modelling (even if I just have to change a little thing:redface:)

Xpand
14th January 2014, 04:25 PM
Lol, it's easier to just learn 3d modelling than to rip models from a game. When you rip a model it won't come out complete and ready to be used anywhere. You will probably have to do some "clean up" on the vertices and broken faces, then apply the textures and correct their coordinates. All in all it's the same thing as building one from scratch only you already have some vertices placed for you, provided you can get the model ripped without any bugs.

Cipher
14th January 2014, 05:01 PM
Lol, i'm guessing you've never heard of Umodel http://www.gildor.org/en/projects/umodel
It may not be relevant to wipeout since i don't think that's made with unreal, but it's a great tool to rip anything from unreal packages, preserves UVWs most of the times, skeletal structures, materials and textures, all of it, used to do modding and we did funky stuff like giving characters a top hat, stache and monocle XD

Good times lol

Cipher

Xpand
14th January 2014, 10:48 PM
Yeah, but UDK is a generalist game engine, like Unity3d, every game made with it is encrypted the same way. Thus that plugin only works with Unreal based games. The games we're talking about here have their own native render engines and nobody except for the people who made the engine know exactly how it works. One can extract components based on memory dumping but rarely you're able to get the full thing at once.

Cipher
15th January 2014, 01:27 AM
mmmhm, i know that, been there as well, reverse engineering .prx files for lode runner the legend returns using hex data strings, it really isn't pleasant :p
Good job on extracting those models though, archived em ^^
was planning on modelling goteki as a personal project, but haven't gotten around to it yet, sounds like fun though, the older game's ships are eeeaaaasssyyyy to model :p

Cipher

vincoof
15th January 2014, 08:22 AM
Lol, it's easier to just learn 3d modelling than to rip models from a game. When you rip a model it won't come out complete and ready to be used anywhere.
Agreed, however:
- while modeling the ship/car yourself from scratch is doable for old games that were very low poly, doing the same for a recent game (say WO2048) is unlikely to give acceptable results unless you are extremely skilled (and in that case I suggest to apply to a video game company ;)),
- granted you are successful at ripping the model from the game files, the result is guaranteed to look exactly the same as the original, which is an important detail if you want to provide "legacy" content into your game (say WO1 or WO2 models for SSGX).

Cipher
15th January 2014, 08:41 AM
You never want to copy an exact model ripped from another game into your own game, that's just pure copyright infringement :P
Use it as a guideline instead for your own model if you're lost on how to get the topology working :)
even it's just for simple models like the 2097 ships, but yes, for the newer ships, it'll be tough to model them identically

and you need to be very skilled if you want to hop in a game company with only modelling skills (read: fast and good result)

Cipher

Xpand
15th January 2014, 10:50 AM
If I was to put WO1 ships in SSGX I wouldn't use the ripped models. Especially due to detail differences between the standard SSGX ships and the 1994 WO models. I'd be forced to model them using the 1994 models as a reference.

vincoof
16th January 2014, 08:21 AM
You never want to copy an exact model ripped from another game into your own game, that's just pure copyright infringement :P
Maybe not for a game like SSGX (though it could be fun to have them) but now imagine the next WO (if any) wants to include legacy ships but they don't have the former models anymore, they might be interested to rip the models either to use them directly (if the quality is good enough) or to use them as a basis for modeling them again (as Xpand suggested).

Jonny
16th January 2014, 08:35 PM
...hmmm, but is it ok to use these models in private things. I ever wanted a WipEout mod for GP4 :)

vincoof
17th January 2014, 09:04 AM
It all depends on how opened is "private". If it’s private as in "things I keep for myself and maybe a few friends", for sure nobody’s coming to bother you (unless a friend of yours is a douche and reports it to Sony or whatever). And even if you have a douche friend and/or you share it with strangers (like people in these forums) I think there is little chance you will be in trouble as long as you don’t try to earn money from it and don’t misuse the models.

For instance the SSGX case is borderline because the game is free but they get donations. So, technically it’s not a commercial project but they earn money from it. I’d say it’s probably okay if they wanted to include the WO models (with or without remodeling) but I’m not 100% sure.

Amaroq Dricaldari
29th January 2014, 03:38 AM
That and uncovered some old Gundam references from 10+ years ago. Gonna strop rambling now...

So would that make the Icarus Fury and FEISAR Prototype the equivalents of the Wing Zero? (Just joking here :P)

-----

All joking aside, try taking pictures of the ships using photomode.

Rossriders
2nd February 2014, 01:16 AM
So would that make the Icarus Fury and FEISAR Prototype the equivalents of the Wing Zero? (Just joking here :P)

-----

All joking aside, try taking pictures of the ships using photomode.

I would if I had 2048, but I lack a vita and again it will be a while till I can bother to buy one.

For now and more so with the recent purchase of Hd/fury, been taking what photos I can of every ship (every ship including the zone and detonator models), but agian, finding refs for 2048 ships have been difficult. If you can provide some of every team from various views, that would be much appreciated, or at the least what you can show. But thanks in any event.

And to speak on the topic of ship modeling...it's something I want to get into but for now, I'm trying to focus more on drawing and designs in general before I get to 3d modeling.

Though I will just say this to all who care; one of my major goals is to try and make a tribute video to WipEout in general, in a vein like the 2048 intro song, except covering every era from the AGRC to the FX 350/400 and even some nods to slipstream among other things.

Though it'll be a LONG while till I can even start. I just work on what I can.

Xpand
2nd February 2014, 02:09 AM
Hey Rossriders, I didn't know if you saw my first post. I left all the WO1 and WO2097 ships there for you to use, you only have to get a 3d cad (like blender 3d) and import the files with textures (check textured material tutorials for blender 3d).