PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Favorite Team in SSGX and Why

DDD113
28th October 2013, 12:18 AM
Just a little poll to see which SSGX team is most popular! Personally I love iFreet, it's so fast and agile, despite the shielding issues, which can be compensated. However, I hate LOGOS with a burning passion, because they have a nasty habit of stealing my wins.

docfo4r
28th October 2013, 05:04 AM
Hard decision.... I'd at first say LOGOS since, well... I'm the pilot :D and I love the story/idea behind this team. But when it comes down to the actual ship, I prefer A.T.L.A.S, so I am voting for these dudes!

Ace3000
28th October 2013, 01:19 PM
iFreet, the ship is quite similar in stats to AG Systems, and I love the feel of AG-S, so iFreet is the one for me

EDIT: Oh hey, just be reading the lore about iFreet on the SSGX website, it seems that the team is a derivative of AG Systems, however it isn't outright stated, probably because of copyright stuff.

Mikahail
28th October 2013, 02:20 PM
Solaris.
Well, I like its shape and I have really good sensations with it. All the ships are good, but Solaris is my favorite right now.

TypeProton
28th October 2013, 02:57 PM
I'm Pirhana fan so guess. :g
Though I like the design of Helios AG craft.

DDD113
28th October 2013, 09:17 PM
Sorry about the hatred of LOGOS, Kai, but if you are the pilot, then stop stealing my wins! :D :D :D

Also, would I be correct in assuming that the inspiration for the design of the Amphithere ship came from both FEISAR and EG-X, as the picture on your facebook page shows many EG-X similarities past the obvious FEISAR ones.

docfo4r
29th October 2013, 05:07 AM
Haha no problem at all.

And yeah, Amphithere was based on Pure's FEISAR craft afair, Dusk118 came up with the idea and the rough version of a model.

DDD113
29th October 2013, 09:31 PM
Ok, so there is no inspiration in EG-X. You've gotta love the shape of it though, it just looks cooler than FEISAR... I apologize to FEISAR fans in advance, but FEISAR was a weak looking, drawn back ship, while Amphithere is sleek, sharp, and commanding. It just looks better overall.

Xpand
29th October 2013, 10:24 PM
Actually, if I may correct you docfo4r, according to Dusk118, Amphithere's design is actually a hybrid of FEISAR and EG-X.

DDD113
30th October 2013, 01:20 AM
Alrighty then I think we got it straightened out. I was surprised that there was no EG-X inspiration, I mean, most of the design elements are similar to FEISAR, but it just has the sharpness of EG-X, a nice ship overall. Now the prototype, that thing is wicked looking, I absolutely love it, just looks like it would tear through the pack!

docfo4r
7th November 2013, 09:13 PM
Oh, thx for the clarification, Xpand.

Ontopic: Seems like iFreet is making the race here^^ And our heavier guys Zepher and Helios still didn't take off^^
Helios is a real challenge to fly, but Zepher is quite easy in handling. It would make my personal 3rd place in the list.

Jonny
8th November 2013, 09:25 PM
I voted for Amphithere because it's from my home country^^
But most I like the Helios because of its cool design.
It's changing,sometimes I use Amphithere,sometimes the Heliosm

DDD113
9th November 2013, 02:33 AM
That's because iFreet is the best, no questions asked. :P

Ruuku
18th November 2013, 04:25 AM
I'm posting from a gameplay standpoint, but for me the ATLAS Enforcer has worked the best.

They don't snap-turn way to quickly, but they aren't a huge struggle to turn either. They have decent speed and shields, it's kinda sounding like Mirage.

That being said, their design doesn't suck either.

One thing I will have to say though, I'm not sure whether its a set delay or not, but every ship in this game feels wayy to heavy. Every. Last. One. Either that or they are uncontrollable darts that just pinball everywhere. Either it takes ages for the ship to ramp up to "max turning speed", then it either doesn't move nearly quick enough or it darts in the other direction. It ain't smooth, and feels nowhere near Wipeout, any incarnation of it. Either we need fatter tracks or the ships just need to reach turning speed a lot faster.

DDD113
18th November 2013, 04:39 AM
Yes, I have noticed this as well, but personally, I really like it. They always called WipEout the future Formula 1, and in SSGX, it really feels like it, like you are always pushing your ship to the limit and have to take corners perfectly for maximum speed (and become very acquainted with the sideshift button :D). It's not supposed to feel like any one of the WipEouts, and they each had their different style. It's just a measure of patience and aptitude, how well you can master the handling. It takes me awhile to switch from a WipEout game to SSGX and perform at my highest level, but that also happens when switching between WO1 and WOHD. It's a simple different handling style, giving the game even more character, and trust me, the devs don't want to make it easy on you, I've put many hours into the demos to master the feel of the game, but when you get there, it's all worth it, because you know that this game and these tracks are tougher than WipEout's, and you have just accomplished something great by mastering them.

Sorry for my rant there, but all handling styles are different, learn to enjoy them! I won't lie, I myself at first posted a complaint about the heaviness, but I later revoked it, because it feels so right after you're accustomed to the game. It also feels the best in Gamma Class, btw. Just give it some time, and I promise you that you will get the hang of it and learn to love it. This might be more of a problem if you use the analog stick, too, which is why D-pad is always better! ;)

Cheers,

DDD113

Ruuku
18th November 2013, 04:51 AM
I dunno, It kinda feels like a fusion of Wipeout 3 and the original, but with the tracks of HD, which isn't a great mixup.

I'm not sure if my sideshift keys are working or not, I didn't know you could, but the control changer definitely needs to be better than the default unity one, I couldn't fathom what keys were what.

I don't know if this game requires airbrake abuse, but so far either they turn directly into a wall, or not at all. ATLAS is just the one that feels the most balanced between those.

DDD113
18th November 2013, 05:03 AM
I think it is basically closest to an HD recreation of WO3, with the narrow tracks and floaty handling, not that it's a problem with me, can't go wrong with Wip3out! :D SSGX has the feeling where the airbrakes start out with minimal effect at first, but that effect grows rapidly, again, it just requires time and mastery (and use of the D-pad ;)). HD had really wide tracks compared to WO3, which probably had the narrowest of the series. Lastly, the problem just could be that you're not flying iFreet. ;)

On a personal note, addressing the dev team here, PLEASE don't change the handling very much! I understand small tweaks and such, but I have come to love this handling style more than any other WipEout game ever. The most exhilarating video game experience you can have is slinging an iFreet around Cassandra at night at Gamma Speed with the blue headlight of LOGOS bearing down on you, knowing that you have to keep a perfect line through the corners, but block the bottom on entry, and hope your pursuers don't have any weapons. I could play your demo for ages, and I think you've nailed it, although it does take a lot of mastery, it feels like the first true AG racing simulation since WO3, and for that, I thank all of you who have contributed and developed this wonderful game. :)

dreadofmondays
18th November 2013, 07:07 AM
On a personal note, addressing the dev team here, PLEASE don't change the handling very much! I understand small tweaks and such, but I have come to love this handling style more than any other WipEout game ever. The most exhilarating video game experience you can have is slinging an iFreet around Cassandra at night at Gamma Speed with the blue headlight of LOGOS bearing down on you, knowing that you have to keep a perfect line through the corners, but block the bottom on entry, and hope your pursuers don't have any weapons. I could play your demo for ages, and I think you've nailed it, although it does take a lot of mastery, it feels like the first true AG racing simulation since WO3, and for that, I thank all of you who have contributed and developed this wonderful game. :)

^////^ dawww

docfo4r
18th November 2013, 08:26 AM
Thx for the kind words DDD13 :)
Well I believe our never-resting Damian will tweak and optimize the handling through the progress of development, but I also hope and wish that the current setup will be the ultimative basis. And yeah, it isn't completely arcade, it requires a little bit of practice to master the handlings. But the final game will have a Tutorial, on a very easy track layout which is wide and overviewable and everything. There ppl can get comfortable with speed classes, handling, weapons etc.

One very important thing though:

but the control changer definitely needs to be better than the default unity one, I couldn't fathom what keys were what.
I fully agree here, we gotta see that we are going to change the labels. It is everything but easy to set up controls :P

Xpand
18th November 2013, 12:59 PM
One thing we must keep in mind before talking about the handling is "how long have I been playing this game". The dev team has many months of experience and we're still not perfect. Maybe Zero3Growlithe is the closest to perfect because he spends a lot more time testing the physics.

Point is: SSGX is not an easy game. The tracks are much tighter than on WOHD with little margin of error. You will even have to let go of the accelerator sometimes. It's not made to make your life easy. It requires way more practice than the average WO game.

dreadofmondays
18th November 2013, 03:08 PM
Here's a link to a video of a player making an almost flawless run. SSGX can be mastered in style: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hiq4XX_xg_M

Ruuku
18th November 2013, 08:28 PM
Yeah, turns out I may be slightly... no completely wrong.

There is no turn delay, it's simply that SSGX handles digital input oddly. It "ramps up" how much lock you put into turning, making every ship as heavy as a Helios. But as soon as I put in a PS3 controller... still a horrible control changer by the way, the game plays a lot like HD/Fury and Wip3out, and I love it!

ATLAS is still my boy though, but I can do gamma class and everything! the analog is handled correctly at least. I even did a night race on both tracks internally, scary things XD
One thing we do need though, is a time table for time trial/speed run. I can't tell which ship is fastest for me at the moment, but I managed to beat TypeProton on Cassandra Alpha around 3-4 times.

DDD113
19th November 2013, 12:55 AM
Well, it seems like my campaign to recruit an other iFreet supporter has failed... :P oh well, A.T.L.A.S is a good team too, I have no problem with them. And to you Ruuku, I didn't realize you were playing this on a keyboard, yes, it is much better on the controller, glad you like it now! :D I have a TT and SL record table set up, just screenshot your time on hard difficulty and post it here: http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?9363-SSGX-TT-and-SL-World-Record-Tables

Edit: Wish I would have had FRAPS when I set that 2:00.1 on DC Gamma time trial, but I have it now, so I guess I'll just have to replicate it! :)

Mike458
5th December 2013, 08:24 PM
Ok... This might surprise a lot of you, but I'm a fan of Helios! Like Hellfire said in the past, there is just a great achievement in piloting a super-heavy craft round a technical course! Also, I'm a fan of the looks (I love those LMP cars and that rear wing!) too.

docfo4r
5th December 2013, 08:32 PM
Awesome, nice to see someone taking the challenge and flying this thing. Preparing for the unavoidable in the campaign :D

Now we only need a Zepher liker and all teams are happy ^^

DDD113
5th December 2013, 11:15 PM
And of course we need more iFreet likers. ;)

Colonel
6th December 2013, 07:52 PM
Solaris for me, secondly followed by iFreet. I love the design of the Solaris, not to mention the great handling.

Hellfire_WZ
6th December 2013, 08:34 PM
I'll be spending a lot of time getting to grips with the Helios. Love the design and the feel of it, if only I wasn't so sh*te with the heavyweights in GX ;)

docfo4r
6th December 2013, 09:27 PM
Ugh Helios... My personal nightmare^^ But finishing 3rd with that thing on a Cassandra Endurance is an awesome feeling :D

bigsnake
8th December 2013, 06:07 AM
Solaris here, it's design is very familiar to Harmiau's which I just cannot get enough of.

BrunoDG
10th December 2013, 11:45 AM
Carlos: "ARE YOU SERIOUS THAT NOBODY VOTED ON ZEPHER? GEEZ, YOU'RE ALL A BUNCH OF LOST CASES!!!"

Me: Meh, just kidding. XD

My favorite is A.T.L.A.S. not because I've helped to create the concept of the ship, but because it reminds me A LOT of WO2097's Qirex, and that was my all-time favorite ship, definitely. Though I'm used to heavy and fast ships, I didn't like much to play with Helios, though. But that's just my preference. :B
Other ships that I liked a lot to play with were LOGOS and Zepher. They were pretty neat, too :)

Xpand
10th December 2013, 02:30 PM
Zepher is a tough one to love, lol... Good performance, bad looks.

Mike458
9th February 2014, 11:59 PM
Looks like a Goteki45 put through a crusher, feels like it only has one airbrake :P

JustinCase
19th February 2014, 01:51 AM
For me Solaris is the clear winner but I just like this name and besides the book and the film were great;).

superjeepboy
5th April 2014, 05:32 PM
iFreet, because it has the handling of Feisar, and the thrust of Goteki 45. Really good beginner ship, if you may ask.

GBalao888
31st December 2014, 10:48 AM
Amphithere is essentially AG Systems with EG-X looks and F.E.I.S.A.R.-like stats. And I like the fact that it's the hero team of the entire game and its symbol is a dragon. Also, the ship of A.T.L.A.S. also looks good and I like LOGOS for it being inspired by Piranha and their fast ships. As for Zepher, it should be killed with fire.
'

BardicSMG
1st February 2015, 09:51 AM
I like Pirhana because I make my own rules.

Deal with it.

terra-wrists
2nd February 2015, 02:37 AM
big fish small fish, cardboard box? :D

ImpossibleGamer-
22nd February 2015, 10:28 PM
Idk if anyone has mentioned this before but this forum should get Slipstream GX avatars. It would be pretty cool especially since SSGX is essentially the same game as WO.

NeroIcaras
3rd August 2015, 05:21 AM
1. LOGOS- Black livery swag!
2. Solaris- Looks awesome, like a camo Harimau
3. CEN-R- Beautiful- and Swedish! Ties with Solaris for 2nd
4. Helios- Looks cool, but really heavy.
5. Zepher- Army issue, but bad handling
6.iFreet- Just too easy, Great learner craft but I'm sick of it.
7. Atlas- Very heavy and slow
8. Amphithere- Looks like a very boring brick, slow

fdfxd
6th January 2016, 04:24 PM
I'll be frank,
the ship designs don't really look that great
You guys didn't do a bad job with the modelling or the texturing it's just that...the thing you're building of wasn't too good to begin with

I think i'm not alone when I say wipeout pulse or even sometimes pure didn't have the best ship designs in the world...

You should take cues from 2048, yeah that game does it really well(except for the rear of all the ships.... yeah pirhana's rear doesn't look too good)
I mean if you look at the concept art it really looks and feels like they spent a lot of time trying to make sense how the ships would work in real life

I mean look at this

Or if you don't want to do that,

Why not look at the original concept art of all of the wipeout games
http://www.andywhiteley.com/ (wip3out )
http://www.dglanister.co.uk/#!concept/c14ak (2048 )
http://nocomplys.deviantart.com/gallery/24976317/WipEout (more 2048 and HD)

(good luck trying to get anything for pure or 2097 though... ;) )

Also, notice how all the ships have some sort of sponsor in their livery
Why not follow TDR's footsteps and make up a bunch of fake corporations, or if you want to get real deep, why not tie them in to the back story of the ships?

Like say if LOGOS(goteki 45) were to have a bunch of logos of weapon companies
and since it's Greek, wouldn't it be cool if we added even more backstory and make it feel like it's a ship that a Greek company would make?
Like after all these riots going on and unrest, it would have some kind of effect even 152 years in the future,
So their craft would be armoured as hell and have camo(you got the camo nailed down) and would sponsor merc companies disguised as "protection" companies(make one up)
Also since Greece has an excelling aluminium industry right now, there's your backstory for the great handling of the craft

How awesome would that be

Xpand
6th January 2016, 05:11 PM
I respect your opinion, but I have to state a few facts, to clarify some things.

We had our standard ships done almost a year before Wipeout 2048 came out. And I gotta be honest with you, I'm not a fan of WO2048's design. I like some of the ships (Piranha, man), but I wouldn't choose them as my favourite of the whole WO series.

Our design choices have to do with the fact that SlipstreamGX, if put in the Wipeout timeline, it fits just before Wipeout Pure (some 20 years before Pure). So we based the shapes on wipeout Pure's ships. Never did we want to completely copy Wipeout ships. Also there are two reasons why our ships don't display many sponsors: When we made them we had none (mainly because we're not TDR), and this being an amateur league (again, 20 years before Pure), teams are pretty much self sustained, if you notice most amateur motorsport teams, they barely have a couple of sponsors.

About geo-political issues, we don't really care about real world issues, we only expanded on the Wipeout storyline during the gap between WO Fusion and WO Pure. It was never our objective to have such an in depth story as the Wipeout series, which in itself has a rather ridiculous origin, since the AG technology is actually alien.

It's my opinion that you're overanalyzing a fan made project made with little to no resources and that has the sole objective of being a fun game to play.

fdfxd
6th January 2016, 05:21 PM
I guess it makes sense that way

And maybe I am over analysing it, after all this is a fan project and game design does take priority over how cool the ships look

I should be forwarding this to a team with considerably high resource that's working on a wipeout game... like R8 themselves, but eh they seem to have it nailed down

dreadofmondays
6th January 2016, 08:50 PM
I think it's a matter of opinion. A lot of the ships, especially the prototypes, look pretty damn cool imo.
For what it's worth, it's as xpand says; 2048 did not exist at the time we developed significant parts of the game. That image you've provided also didn't exist during 2048's development; it was created after, as a promotional piece for Quixel suite, by someone unaffiliated (iirc). So that's notable.

fdfxd
7th January 2016, 08:56 AM
That image you've provided also didn't exist during 2048's development; it was created after, as a promotional piece for Quixel suite, by someone unaffiliated (iirc). So that's notable.
I knew that :)

Hasteguy
9th January 2016, 05:59 PM
Amphithere: because I wear my scrub status on my sleeve. XD

GBalao888
24th July 2019, 12:17 PM
Amphithere. While it may have the looks and specs of F.E.I.S.A.R., their story and colors are very much AG Systems. And the fact that they are the "hero team" of the game.