PDA

View Full Version : Eurogamer - The Rise and Fall of Studio Liverpool

Hellfire_WZ
22nd March 2013, 12:27 PM
Great read this, with plenty of input from ex-developers

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-03-22-wipeout-the-rise-and-fall-of-sony-studio-liverpool

trk_rkd
22nd March 2013, 01:11 PM
just came here to post this! great read indeed.

GekkoP
22nd March 2013, 04:31 PM
Great read, thanks.

Amorbis
22nd March 2013, 04:57 PM
I read this earlier and it is quite insightful. The Shrewsbury Arms should get a commemorative blue plaque for WipEout, at least I think it should.

Jonny
22nd March 2013, 06:03 PM
Great text.
The only thing I don´t understand-and it´s the only thing you can argue about-is,why Sony closed SL and not one of the other Studios...but these are the typical misstakes,that are ending an era:frown:

Feisar31
22nd March 2013, 06:47 PM
Fantastic article... but also a little depressing. :frown:

stin
23rd March 2013, 11:31 AM
Fabulous read!, took me nearly a hour to read the whole thing and I didn`t realized they were so passionate over WipEout.

Thank you for the memory of WipEouts!!!!!!

stevie:)

DJ Techno
25th March 2013, 03:36 AM
All those fellas are right n should soon start up s project for wipeout again.

Just as the return of mortal kombat happen. They can too.

Its terrible to see. A game that has lasted just as long as the most popular games have, like mario, zelda, final fantasy.

n its about now. Not the culture s love n like of the game. Its about how much it profits n makes money.

Idk, im not a part of the greedy corporate circle . Just a part of the culture from Hacker n more

AquaAura
3rd April 2013, 05:00 PM
I felt so sad during that read but it was nice reading about the Studio's older days and how passionate they were about it...

SL, bye...:frown:

blackwiggle
4th April 2013, 08:24 AM
That was a great article.

I found this comment left by a reader on the pure satisfaction Wipeout can give you sort of summed it up the best.

I have seen some things I tell thee, I have slayed dragons on that big hill in skyrim in nothing but my underware, I have fought every type of zombie and not died as much as the other dudes in my party did but Hitting Zone 75 and screaming like a small child when the platinum trophey popped up in Wipeout HD is my greatest achivement in gaming.

I also remain hopeful that some form of Wipeout will be resurrected for the PS4, especially considering the comments given buy ex SL employees regarding work that was "rumored" to be happening on a new "Full Console" Wipeout.
[ I remember Elhabib posting here around what must be 2 years ago now that he was told SL were working on a that, and a WO portable game, which turned out to be WO 2048]

Darkdrium777
4th April 2013, 05:17 PM
I have seen some things I tell thee, I have slayed dragons on that big hill in skyrim in nothing but my underware, I have fought every type of zombie and not died as much as the other dudes in my party did but Hitting Zone 75 and screaming like a small child when the platinum trophey popped up in Wipeout HD is my greatest achivement in gaming. Transcendence. Truly there is no other feeling like it. Even my Platinum for Drake's Fortune a couple of days after the patch for it hit (race between a few of us at the time) does not compare.

I did read this article a while ago, saw it on /r/Games and thought to come post it here but it already was (obviously). It is indeed great, although it makes me sad. Sad because it seems that by the end of it there wasn't much that could be done to save it. It seemed to me that they were in trouble before WipEout HD even began production, though perhaps I am being misled by the overall darker tone of the article here. I felt that it was all a spiral from somewhere around F1 for PS3 down to 2048 on Vita, which is quite a bit of time.

I wish there was more coming, but all indications point to none. This nearly makes me cry.

I had hoped to be able to justify a Vita purchase eventually, but really apart from WipEout there's nothing else on it that interests me. Not even a Monster Hunter game. I guess I will never play 2048 just because the platform is very unattractive to me. Maybe there will be a re-release on PS3 and PS4, but I doubt it. If it's only on PS4 I don't see myself buying that either, however I still have one PS3 that I don't use much now.

AquaAura
4th April 2013, 05:30 PM
I have seen some things I tell thee, I have slayed dragons on that big hill in skyrim in nothing but my underware, I have fought every type of zombie and not died as much as the other dudes in my party did but Hitting Zone 75 and screaming like a small child when the platinum trophey popped up in Wipeout HD is my greatest achivement in gaming.

I love how he uses 'on that big hill in skyrim' as if it's just any old hill, as if it's 'oh, just that one' (actually it might be never played skyrim myself)

Sausehuhn
14th April 2013, 11:31 AM
Good read, thanks for the link.

aka_dutch
18th April 2013, 08:54 PM
This is a shame. I was really hoping for future content from this studio. I downloaded HD/Fury as part of the welcome back program back in 2011 and for some reason, never played the game. Again, for some unknown reason, I saw the game in my XMB and decided to play it this past March. To put it simply, I got the itch. I started playing (Nearly got Edit: Just got my Transcendence trophy) and bought 2048 on my Vita only to find out a few weeks later that the studio had been closed down in the prior year.

Probably one of the most disheartening things I've read in a while regarding gaming.

Regardless of this news, both HD/Fury and 2048 are quickly moving up in my list of favorite games of all time. I simply can't get enough of these games.

Thanks SL for providing great content, even for those of us who are way late to the party.