PDA

View Full Version : SSGX development - Official Art (large images)

Pages : [1] 2

TypeProton
28th December 2012, 01:26 PM
Hi everyone. I'm TypeProton, 2D artist for SSGX.
We'll be using this thread to show some of our artworks. Feel free to comment and stay tuned for more. :)

Here are my take on in-game advertisements :

http://i.imgur.com/ax7Htl.png
http://i.imgur.com/fwFZ8l.png

rdmx
28th December 2012, 03:07 PM
Even if I'm not a part of the team, is it ok for me to post my random ideas for stuff in here?

docfo4r
28th December 2012, 03:14 PM
Sure man, go ahead :) You all can post some art and design work. I guess our main 2D artists TypeProton and dreadofmondays can give you the best feedback on it then.

clojo733
29th December 2012, 01:18 AM

Just thought I'd drop this one in here :)
I have no idea how to make it a large image though, sorry about that! DX

docfo4r
29th December 2012, 09:45 AM
Man that looks awesome :) I like it alot. And I think you hit the right looks for a prototype ship. I'll store that to my laptop, talk about it with the other guys.

rdmx
29th December 2012, 10:11 AM

I fear this got lost in the other thread. Are you guys still using the main menu design from ages back?

docfo4r
29th December 2012, 10:20 AM
We are not sure about the menu design at the moment. What I can say about your results screen is that basically it is looking cool, I [and some others from the team] really like it. The only thing I personally like to add is that there are lots of numbers in a tiny area, it kinda takes a moment to get an overview. Can you somehow improve that a little bit?

What we plan to do with the results screen is having tabs. So people can switch between tabs and certain tabs get displayed, depending on which race mode you are in. You can check out the informations to be displayed here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fYbQOLdOVgmQLyU4mUTkEqgCSo_4FRJ1IaZgCc9CJ6U/edit

rdmx
29th December 2012, 05:14 PM
Ok I took what you said into consideration and made this mockup instead:
The idea behind this is that the most important element on each screen should also be the most prominent. Play around with the spacing.

JFthebestJan
29th December 2012, 07:16 PM
rdmx +1

i like that it has a WHD touch

Xpand
29th December 2012, 08:35 PM
Remodeled Cassandra's startline stands:
Looks a lot better than the current world of flatness going on there...

Still need to texture and replace on Cassy, so yeah, tons of work left...

TypeProton
30th December 2012, 12:59 AM
Ok I took what you said into consideration and made this mockup instead:
The idea behind this is that the most important element on each screen should also be the most prominent. Play around with the spacing.
Now that's a lot more readable. Awesome.

@Xpand : Looking forward to final product. :D

docfo4r
30th December 2012, 04:14 PM
Yep, rdmx. The new version definately looks much better. I like it :)

Xpand
30th December 2012, 06:40 PM
Jup! :D

TypeProton
3rd January 2013, 03:58 PM
http://i.imgur.com/LPpYOl.png (http://imgur.com/LPpYO)

Work in progress. Experiment, experiment...
Feedback would be good. :)

docfo4r
3rd January 2013, 04:53 PM
Cool thing, Type. I love the fact it's based on the japanese national flag. Only that big red banner... The logo feels a bit lost. Either scale it up or add that yellow W variation to it.

rdmx
3rd January 2013, 07:01 PM
The big red banner, the text is nigh on unreadable.

dreadofmondays
3rd January 2013, 11:21 PM
I love the Rise Up logo. :)

Oryx Crake
11th January 2013, 07:39 AM
Just a little something from me :)

Xpand
11th January 2013, 07:54 AM
Lol, looks pretty awesome. It looks like what Pure's AGS would look like if it was made for WO2097! xD

Ace3000
11th January 2013, 10:51 AM
Just a little something from me :)

As an AG Systems fan, I can say I really like this.

Oryx Crake
11th January 2013, 05:33 PM
hehe glad you like it. I think you can figure out what it actually is yeah xpand?

Great to hear ACE!

docfo4r
11th January 2013, 08:01 PM
Hey Oryx, looks great :) It's flattened a bit, right? Makes it look like it'll be a speed monster :D

I just found that prototype from Blender and compared to your recent sketch, I hope you can somehow add those connection joists, I think they look cool :D

TypeProton
12th January 2013, 03:44 AM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y214/pchalalai/Slipstream%20GX/th_logo_4_RStechnology-01_zpsbb1e7e16.png (http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y214/pchalalai/Slipstream%20GX/logo_4_RStechnology-01_zpsbb1e7e16.png)

Alright, final version of Japanese-based domestic AG craft manufacturer logo.

docfo4r
12th January 2013, 09:10 AM
Looks great to me :)

dreadofmondays
13th January 2013, 09:27 AM
Love it :)

BrunoDG
16th January 2013, 01:14 PM
Just awesome. =)

Oryx Crake
20th January 2013, 04:12 PM
The Roster
(http://media.wohdcup.sommarpojkarna.com/2013/01/The-roster-fixed.png)
The pilots enter the stage!

(the attachment system is not cooperating with me so you'll have to use the link, WARNING HIGH RES)

RaTcHeT302
21st January 2013, 01:05 PM
They look a bit heh.

Try drawing more.

Xpand
21st January 2013, 02:30 PM
I think they're pretty good for the use they'll have.
We're not aiming for super realistic looking characters...

I'm sorry but that criticism wasn't constructive at all... I think you're not keeping a lot of stuff in mind. Like the fact that most of the drawings are still WIPs...

docfo4r
21st January 2013, 02:34 PM
Also the drawings are based on some of the team members or people who are close to the project, they are all based on living models. Drawing some random imagination persons might also look okay but would always lack of personality. Just wait until the current ones get their colors and final touches ;)

rdmx
22nd January 2013, 06:51 AM
Quick unethical idea I came up with. Doesn't really make sense in hindsight haha. Maybe make it a health insurance company instead. 7335

Oryx Crake
22nd January 2013, 10:46 AM
lol rdmx could work with YOU - genics as well perhaps a little strong, but I like the style!

docfo4r
22nd January 2013, 04:08 PM
Graphics are a bit easy but I also like the idea behind it ;) Maybe try to work on the visuals and it would be cool I think!

Oryx Crake
23rd January 2013, 07:51 PM
The new weapon pick up symbols are here, see if you can figure out which is which ;)

GalacticSpartan
27th January 2013, 04:19 AM
The weapon symbols look sweet.

1st row: Unknown, Rockets, Missile, Unknown, Cannon, and..Electric Bolt?

2nd row: Unknown, ...Plasma? Unknown.

3rd row: Autopilot? Unknown, Turbo, and I think Mines.

docfo4r
27th January 2013, 07:12 AM
Hehe your guess on the first row was right so far, the electric bolt is an EMP in this case ;)
The green section are for self-using and the blue section are defensive weapons. We have some very familiar pickups like you know them from the Wipeout universe and some are new. You can check out the website (http://www.slipstreamgx.com) to find out more about each weapon.

terra-wrists
27th January 2013, 07:44 AM
i download it today. i not know how to make DS3 controller work :( i use keyboard and die lap 3 XD

Ace3000
27th January 2013, 08:08 AM
Depending on which version you downloaded, you may or may not have gotten a pdf file explaining how to connect your PS3 controller to the computer. I'm sure that the someone from the dev team can explain how to connect the controller way better than I can, so I'll leave it to them to explain.

docfo4r
27th January 2013, 08:25 AM
The christmas release on the website has the PDF file in it. I think that should be okay for going through the connection progress. However, if you still struggle or encounter problems, just post it here and we'll give you a hand :)

JFthebestJan
5th February 2013, 04:28 PM
hey, don`t know where to post it, so i decided here would be the right place.
i`ve won the right to create my own skin, so here is my first idea.
it should be designed like the early iterations of the MINARDI F1 cars. i`ve attached 2 examples below.
grid no. 81

docfo4r
5th February 2013, 06:25 PM
Cool idea, PM'ing in progress :D

Ace3000
7th February 2013, 03:49 AM
I've won second prize, but artisticness isn't my strong suit. Would you mind awfully picking someone else? Sorry, I just suck at these designing things. :P

Xpand
7th February 2013, 11:47 AM
New stuff! :D

artcloud
7th February 2013, 01:22 PM
Nice Xpand! Those renders look great! :) I've tried some WipEout advertisment myself... here it is:
7373 Let me know what you think please! :D

Xpand
7th February 2013, 01:31 PM
Hmm, that attachment isn't working. Try to put that on the image option instead of the attachment option.

artcloud
7th February 2013, 01:47 PM
Hmmm, that's strange... I tried te image option but it automatically changes it to an attachment file. I'll look at that later. ;)

Edit: I managed to figure it out! :)

clojo733
7th February 2013, 10:18 PM
Hey! I did my billboard design for the Xmas competition! :D

I tried it in three different colours, but I'm not quite sure which looks the best. I guess it's up to you guys!

Oryx Crake
7th February 2013, 11:18 PM
looks cool clojo but don't you want to put your own name on it too? :) like your own tag on a graffiti or something? :)

docfo4r
8th February 2013, 04:35 AM
Agreed, looks verrrry nice. Good work on those :D
And yeah you can still personalize them if you like to ;)

clojo733
8th February 2013, 03:54 PM
Thank you! And you're right, I'll probably put my signature on it (it'll be small, though, so it's not too noticeable.)
I think that the one thing this billboard is missing, though, is a company slogan. I'll try and think of one. ;p

docfo4r
8th February 2013, 03:57 PM
Cool. Can't wait to see it :D

clojo733
8th February 2013, 08:43 PM

Just a slight change to the design, in the form of a company slogan. ^^

docfo4r
8th February 2013, 09:19 PM
Hehe cool :)
Tell us when you think you reached the final version ;) It's coming along well.

clojo733
8th February 2013, 09:34 PM
Yeah, it does need a little more work. :b

Oryx Crake
8th February 2013, 10:05 PM
a couple of decals for ship sponsors! 7384

Xpand
9th February 2013, 03:12 PM
Here's the custom scheme for the ST116 idealized by the winner of the Xmas TT contest, JFTheBestJan.

RaTcHeT302
9th February 2013, 04:16 PM
Those decals really need to be improved.

Also wouldn't it better to use a brighter orange instead of that weird yellow?

Oryx Crake
9th February 2013, 04:37 PM
what needs to be improved about the decals in your opinion and the yellow and black scheme is based on the wishes of JFthebestjan the inspiration being the Minardi formula one team http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/5d/2005_Brands_Hatch_A1GP_25_Sept_Rodrigo_Gallego_Min ardi_F1_185.jpg/240px-2005_Brands_Hatch_A1GP_25_Sept_Rodrigo_Gallego_Min ardi_F1_185.jpg

clojo733
9th February 2013, 05:06 PM
I love that Thruster scheme, makes it look like something from the original Wipeout! (to me, anyway). Those decals look really good, too. :)

Xpand
9th February 2013, 05:43 PM
Those decals really need to be improved.

Also wouldn't it better to use a brighter orange instead of that weird yellow?

Honestly, I don't mean to be blunt, but honestly I think you're just nitpicking. :|

JFthebestJan
9th February 2013, 07:28 PM
i want to say BIG thx to Oryx & Xpand for doing this. i like it very much. has something from JPS Lotus :)

Oryx Crake
9th February 2013, 07:32 PM
Dude thank you for playing our demo!

RaTcHeT302
9th February 2013, 08:54 PM
The ShipThurstShop one has very odd color composition along with a very odd font choice, the shape itself being a bit...random. Batalia Beer could benefit from a better font too, maybe add a background wich follows the shape of the text too so that it becomes more readable. The text above the Torq logo is badly stretched, The Tadim one is just, heh.. The font on the Ore's one is also oddly stretched. The SAGE one seems familiar but it doesn't feel as if it belongs in this time being.

The Ship just looked out of place to me, but I'm curious to see it in-game.

Just my 2 cents.

EDIT:It's not the best thing ever but maybe it can give you some inspiration for the beer one.

GalacticSpartan
10th February 2013, 03:00 AM

I made some sponsers for SSGX, seeing you were short on some. I asked and one of the SSGX members would'nt mind it. I might make some more if some people liked it.

My tools? My brain, and Paint.

dreadofmondays
10th February 2013, 11:10 AM
We'll make an effort to fix up the decals RatcHeT :)

RaTcHeT302
12th February 2013, 03:45 PM
Have you tried using Adobe Ilustrator?

Xpand
12th February 2013, 04:29 PM
We only use AI for decals and logos. Photoshop is also used for model textures and some in-game graphics

artcloud
14th February 2013, 12:19 PM
Nice designs colo733, that looks really stylish. :) When I looked another time at my advertisement though, I thought about using some color. What do you guys think?

docfo4r
14th February 2013, 12:38 PM
Yeah sure, do a colorful variation of your design. We can then still compare which one looks better ;)

artcloud
15th February 2013, 03:33 PM
Hey all! Attached to this post is the Colorless and Colored version of a SlipStream GX Tournament Poster. :)

Xpand
15th February 2013, 10:55 PM
That looks pretty good. I'm just unsure on the font, but that's just me.
Btw: Second major update on Cassandra: Shoreline:

TypeProton
16th February 2013, 11:55 AM
Epic. :D

artcloud
17th February 2013, 07:17 PM
Hey guys! Been busy with a track these days for (hopefully) the menu of SlipStream GX. Please give it a listen and let me know what you think. :D
http://snd.sc/YzYuRj

Xpand
17th February 2013, 09:55 PM
Honestly, I think it fits the whole hangar menu atmosphere. Let's see what the others think...

On the same subject:

artcloud
18th February 2013, 06:12 PM
Thanks man, glad you like it. :D I paid close attention to remaking the heavy like sub-bass heard in the 'Vanilla HD' theme and the stretched samples in 'Magneticism' to keep the WipEout feel... ;)
Those screens of the hanger look awesome! :D

artcloud
18th February 2013, 06:14 PM
By the way, I'm always in the mood to make more music; if you guys need more tracks for different menu themes for example just let me know! :D
Sorry for double-posting btw, is there an option to delete one?

docfo4r
18th February 2013, 06:41 PM
Hey artcloud. I listened to your tune. I agree with Xpand, it would fit perfect to the Hangar. Do you think you can emphasize that pad at 01.37 a tad more? It fits very well and serves as a little highlight but atm it feels like it's drowning next to the other noises.
Other than that it is an awesome tune man! I'd definately use this one for the hangar.

Actually we agreed in using the same music through every tab in the main menu for now. But we will have another room, or better said another house than the Hangar. It will be some sort of museum where you can see your achievements, 360° views of ship and weapon models, watch backstories and credits and stuff like that so we need some sort of calm futural museum theme. Dare to give it a try? :)

artcloud
18th February 2013, 08:28 PM
Hey docfo4r, thanks for the feedback! :D You're right about that pad, I'll crank it up a little to let it stand out more. ;) Wow, the idea of that next room sounds cool. :D Sounds like something where I would spend a lot of time hangin' around! :) And 'Oh heck yeah I dare to give that futural museum theme a try'! xD I'm on it! :D

Xpand
19th February 2013, 12:19 AM
I kinda went ahead and tried something for myself. I don't think it's going to make the cut though! xD
https://soundcloud.com/rbng-1/atmospheric-test

dreadofmondays
19th February 2013, 05:21 AM
I don't see why we can't just have several menu tunes and pick one at random when you load the menu? No need to switch between two depending on where you are, if you do that you sort of miss out on both

Xpand
19th February 2013, 07:34 AM
The museum isn't a menu, at least not like the main menu. It's a separate room: while the main menu, race options and settings are all in the dark-ish hangar, the museum is on a large all glass building with all the stuff on expo, so I think it should have its own theme.

artcloud
22nd February 2013, 12:33 PM
Hey guys, been busy with a SSGX 3D model for the last 1½ days, here are some pics of it in progress. When uploading I already noticed a mistake I made; one vertex at the airscoops is sticking out; already fixed that problem. ;) Feedback is welcome of course! :D I'm taking a break from 3D today and continue with the museum music track. :)

Xpand
22nd February 2013, 05:36 PM
Sorry dude, we're full out of ship models. Even so, that ship doesn't meet the design standarts, I mean, it's too diferent from all the other ships. We had one with the same problem: "Artezix" and it had to be replaced because it simply strikes as odd when you see 7 ships around the same lines, more or less and then one that's completely out of context.
However, if you make a very low poly version of that we can still use it as a background civilian ship flying around in the scenery.

artcloud
22nd February 2013, 09:55 PM
No problem man, I understand. :) I'll think I'll finish it for my portfolio then. :D Maybe for an DLC 'Fury' pack in the future... ;p Do you need something else still modeled? And where can I find some style-sheets so if I start modeling I don't bump out of the art-style to much? :)

docfo4r
22nd February 2013, 10:26 PM
Hey if you like to, you can help me out. I am re-doing the "Nazca Remains" track. You can check out some info on the track in general at www.slipstreamgx.com (http://www.slipstreamgx.com/) under the tracks section. That video of the track is totally out of date btw, new layout is very different so don't get distracted there.

So what I plan to do is, to have a tiny area in the desert where once was some sort of astronomical radio telescope / research lab / observatory. But, you know, this place was abandoned for a long time so there was no maintenance on the facility. Maybe if you like to, you can create some sort of antenna, or a tiny observatory. I already created the main building with air conditioner vents, a tiny cb-radio antenna and a satellite dish.
Do you think you can help me out there? Cuz' at the moment I am working on texturing the landscape at first. Once I got more progress [hopefully this weekend], I can send you over some screenshots. But atm it looks very messy :D

And don't forget the final touches on your cool "Defragmentated" soundtrack ;)

EDIT: Here are some early wip images of the certain area:

artcloud
24th February 2013, 11:29 AM
That would be awesome mate! :D I'm very curious of the screens you'll send over. I'd love to help you out here. :)
'Defragmentated' is done, but I've currently used all of my minutes on SoundCloud so I'll send you the file in person; let me know what you prefer. ;)
+ the museum theme is also getting more shape; I'll look for a way to stream it or send you a WIP file of it.

docfo4r
25th February 2013, 04:40 PM
Hey there,

sorry for my late reply :P
Cool thing you like to help me out. Can you see the two pictures I placed into my last message? If you want to, I can give your more screens of that certain area [I think I should do, so you get a better idea of the location].

Also, nice to hear about the tunes. Yeah, if it's ok with you, please send them to me in person then. I'll PM you my adress.

Xpand
26th February 2013, 11:47 AM
Wallpaperino!
http://threedmaniak.deviantart.com/art/In-the-Zone-SlipstreamGX-356479827

TypeProton
26th March 2013, 04:09 AM
Here's TypeProton trying to do something about Hubian and... fails. I'm bad at painting Nature.
"Bamboo Run" section of Hubian. Bumpy road and hard banking corner and all that. The AG craft is placeholder for track size comparison.

http://i.imgur.com/jBVUuRUl.jpg (http://i.imgur.com/jBVUuRU.jpg)

docfo4r
26th March 2013, 05:50 PM
Stunning! Your drawing skills are awesome, you could do some artwork sketches dude :D

Xpand
26th March 2013, 05:56 PM
Yeah! Awesome stuff!
Also:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dT36NCu5po

Cassandra is DONE! A few problems with light and transparency maps here and there in this video, but that has been fixed!
Props for zero3growlithe for the video!

stin
26th March 2013, 07:14 PM
Seriously impressive stuff but two years work is a long time.

Keep going and hard work will be paid off!

stevie:)

Xpand
26th March 2013, 07:27 PM
Thanks!
Well it was two years because I had never done a track before and I was learning while I modeled. Plus I didn't work on it every day, sometimes I had work gaps of months because of school and university exams, so it's bound to take a longer time. ;)
Draco Cavernae, for example, a few weeks after I started it, it got to the same stage that took several months to reach in Cassandra.

duncandes
27th March 2013, 07:41 AM
Nice! Looks VERY great! You have made a great job.

clojo733
1st April 2013, 12:13 PM
Hey Cassandra looks great! Well done! :D
I've redesigned my billboard (I couldn't salvage my other one when my hard-drive failed), and I think this one's way better :)

http://postimg.org/image/91idh6x9z/full/

Hope you like it. :3

docfo4r
1st April 2013, 01:14 PM
Hey,

looks very good in my opinion. I immediantly thought about "freedom" when seeing that blue background and the black ship crossing it. I really like that simple style of it!

clojo733
1st April 2013, 01:20 PM
Thanks! :D
I tried to make it a bit Designers Republic style- I love the simplicity of their designs. :3

docfo4r
1st April 2013, 01:32 PM
I think that fits very well with the game! Hey if you like to, maybe you can help us out with a few sponsors here and there. We have a list of sponsors we like to create but the list is kinda long. TypeProton and dreadofmondays are working on them but I think they would be happy about some support. If you're up for it, I'll send you the list.

clojo733
1st April 2013, 01:48 PM
Thanks! I'd love to help with the sponsors. :)

Xpand
2nd April 2013, 08:16 PM
Yup! It's taking shape!

clojo733
16th April 2013, 06:59 PM
http://postimg.org/image/3ovfpy60x/full/

I had a go at one of the sponsors. :)

Xpand
19th April 2013, 07:11 PM
The hangar is almost done!

TypeProton
20th April 2013, 01:43 AM
So yesterday I tried to do an overall sketch of Hubian, at least to get me fried up.
Sorry for messiness. I draw on anything I have on hand.

http://i.imgur.com/DFJ5l9pl.jpg (http://i.imgur.com/DFJ5l9p.jpg)

stin
20th April 2013, 06:42 PM
What do you mean "sorry for messing it up"?!!! it`s friggen awesome!!! You should be proud of yourself!!!!!

docfo4r
20th April 2013, 09:57 PM
Can only agree here. Great work, Type! Same to the Hangar!

Xpand
22nd April 2013, 05:43 PM
Work resumes on the Solaris CP01A Prototype.

btw: 1000th post! OH YEA!!

docfo4r
22nd April 2013, 07:06 PM
Awesome content for post #1000 :D

EDIT: And my own post #777, crazy!

dreadofmondays
23rd April 2013, 05:20 AM
Clojo, I love it! We might use that if it's okay with you! :D

clojo733
24th April 2013, 08:51 PM
Hey thanks! And sure it's okay! That's what I made it for, after all. :D

Xpand
1st May 2013, 05:00 PM
Alternative skins for the ships:

AquaAura
1st May 2013, 07:32 PM
Oooooo that's very nice. I have kind of picked up that Solaris looks like a fish. I don't remember where Solaris are from... (think it was Ireland but that might have been Helios or something) but are they in anyway related to Piranha or something...? Or is it a coincidence?

Xpand
1st May 2013, 09:21 PM
Hmm, Solaris isn't really related to any team. Its design was very inspired on Harimau. The team is indeed from Ireland. Helios is from New Zealand and has a relationship with Triakis, who provide weapon systems for them.

AquaAura
2nd May 2013, 05:07 AM
I do see the Harimau-inspiration now... Anyway they all look good to me! I really like iFreet :D

ScottishN3ko
3rd May 2013, 09:37 PM
Hello everyone. I was feeling creative this week; and this "Creative Juice" turned into a design for a Wipeout circuit, for funzies. It was also an opportunity to experiment with my gradient markers and to be honest looking at it now I wish I hadn't bothered using them. It looks terrible with those thick lines.

After finding this thread, I became determined to actually finish the drawing and show this idea that I had. I don't know whether this is relevant to the project or whether you need any track design ideas like this but here you go anyway: 7645

I also went into Paint tool SAI and explained the layout, direction and showed the hidden detail of the track underground: 7644

This track flows through some kind of dam so I thought it should be called "(Something) Dam" or "(Something) Falls". If this inspires anything in circuit development, could someone help me name it.

I notice that some things might be hard to program, like water physics and that maglock part; I wasn't exactly designing this at first with SSGX in mind. Also there's too much underground stuff and I really should've made a jump over the closest drain because going under the thing doesn't really make much sense. So if any of this is used I'd guess it'd be loose.

Rupang
8th May 2013, 01:48 PM
You know, I was about to name the dam after the location where "The Gods Must Be Crazy" sets at the end (You know, the boy throws the coke bottle to the "edge of the world"). Turns out there is no waterfall here after all. So. I took liberty on an alternative.

http://i.imgur.com/tVplccw.png
Merriam Dam, Alaska.
Named after the Harriman Alaska Expedition (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harriman_Alaska_Expedition) zoologist, Clinton Hart Merriam, the Dam was to tap in hydroelectricity in the forming river to power the new booming mining city of Chugach 21. The track is well known for the preservation effort to save Columbia Glacier Epsilon by permanently coating it in transparent silica Aerogel as well as placing world's finest ice sculptures around the track. To the tourist, it's the hotspot of the coolest tracks on Earth.
Edit: image added.

SZEIKAN
9th May 2013, 09:39 PM
So yesterday I tried to do an overall sketch of Hubian, at least to get me fried up.
Sorry for messiness. I draw on anything I have on hand.

http://i.imgur.com/DFJ5l9pl.jpg (http://i.imgur.com/DFJ5l9p.jpg)

I've been looking forward to this course the most, now even more so! (not that the others aren't excellent too, but I really like the setting/theme for this one)

Xpand
17th May 2013, 07:30 AM
One moar alternative scheme!
Helios 1C

Ace3000
17th May 2013, 01:37 PM
Aw, the attachment failed. :(

docfo4r
17th May 2013, 01:47 PM
Try this link:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/964674_569137633119848_1106798740_o.jpg

Ace3000
17th May 2013, 02:17 PM
That's better.

That skin looks awesome, also approve of the aussie driver! :D

docfo4r
17th May 2013, 02:29 PM
Hehe thank you :) We went with a LeMans-alike design here ;)

Xpand
17th May 2013, 05:30 PM
Thanks! The team/pilot is actually from New Zealand! ;)

Ace3000
18th May 2013, 05:48 AM
Ah, yes, on closer inspection, that IS a NZ flag, not Australia. Still, that's awesome!

Xpand
19th May 2013, 01:08 PM
CEN-R is done!

AquaAura
19th May 2013, 02:06 PM
I like that Triakis exhuast :g looking really good!

Sausehuhn
25th May 2013, 02:19 PM
If it helps I would gladly contribute some of the sponsors done for the WipEout Deceit Project :)

Xpand
25th May 2013, 02:48 PM
Hey Sausehuhn.
Well the problem about using those sponsors is that we're not sure we can use Wipeout related content. We've been trying to contact Sony about that matter, but we haven't got any reply yet, so we're trying to keep all Wipeout references to a minimum. If we manage to get permission from Sony, then we will consider your offering.

Thanks!

Sausehuhn
25th May 2013, 02:51 PM
Yep, I can clearly see that. Then again, there’s still a hand full of sponsors left, not related at all :)

Xpand
25th May 2013, 03:04 PM
Well, ok, PM me your skype name so I can add you to the group for file sharing.

SZEIKAN
6th July 2013, 11:00 AM
I love that Cen-R skin Xpand!

By the way, I noticed something interesting. Coincidence or inspiration? The first is the turbo symbol. The second one is the flag of the Aichi prefecture in Japan. Striking resemblance, no?

I stumbled across this because while I think everything else is looking brilliant (the tracks, ship models, item symbols), I feel that the team and sponsor logos are comparatively lacking. They don't have that same professional feel that everything else in SSGX has. Just compare the WipEout team logos to the SSGX ones. The WipEout ones just have a much more professional feel. I know, that kind of criticism isn't that useful, but I think in general the issue is that the SSGX ones feel too "busy". Especially Amphithere and Atlas. Also Ifreet and Logos look a little too similar.

Anyway, I thought that this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prefectures_of_Japan#List_in_Western_alphabetical_ order) page with all the flags of Japanese prefectures have some great ideas. A lot of those flags have very clean designs on them which seem to fit well in the WipEout universe. I wanted to get some inspiration and try to come up with some alternate team logo designs.

Long story short, looks like someone had a similar idea to draw ideas from these flags =) Either that or just an insane coincidence that they turned out so similarly!

If it helps I would gladly contribute some of the sponsors done for the WipEout Deceit Project :)

If you mean that you're the one who made sponsors like Cosmic Cab, 12A Global Engineering, Katmoda Project, I-TEC Activator, and KING, SSGX would benefit greatly from your work! The sponsor mockups for WipEout deceit look outstanding. I imagine there shouldn't be any copyright issues since these aren't actually connected to the real WipEout in any way.

Xpand
6th July 2013, 11:10 AM
Hey!
Thanks for the criticism. Yeah I also agree that some team logos need to be updated. Most of thost you said haven't been updated since like 2 years ago.

docfo4r
6th July 2013, 11:11 AM
Hey there, thanks for your critique.
And you got 100%, our weapon logos are all inspired by the japanese city and prefecture symbols, only some are modified a bit. You can try to find all belonging japanese symbols for each pickup logo ;)
But because of that we use won't those style of art at any other sponsor logo we have. The pickup symbols have to stick out to the rest of the art in the game, or better said: It has to be another group to fit in.

SZEIKAN
6th July 2013, 11:38 AM
Ah yes, I just found oryxcake's original post and thought I recognized the Akita prefecture symbol. Also Hiroshima.

Anyway, glad to see you're considering updating the team logos. I also noticed TypeProton's sponsors just now and they're great. Well, there goes my primary concerns! Keep up the great work!

Xpand
19th July 2013, 06:38 PM
Solaris CP01A (Prototype)
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/73362_598363253530619_319709655_n.jpg

stin
19th July 2013, 07:30 PM
Of all this time, through facebook and here, the jobs you`ve done are friggen awesome even sketches too. You all amazing artists!

Xpand
29th July 2013, 05:35 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/60063_602842956415982_1956120845_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1005640_602109706489307_600175948_n.jpg

The two last alternative skins are done.

Ace3000
30th July 2013, 10:48 AM
Hnnggghh. They look amazing!

TypeProton
31st July 2013, 02:22 AM
New league logo! :D
http://i.imgur.com/Aio6EzLl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/YxWOCjxl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/rwMMQ7cl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/7QYUHGXl.jpg

Hey there, thanks for your critique.
And you got 100%, our weapon logos are all inspired by the japanese city and prefecture symbols, only some are modified a bit. You can try to find all belonging japanese symbols for each pickup logo ;)

So we're shooting Japanese prefectures at eachother now?

docfo4r
31st July 2013, 08:48 AM
The biggest wins :D

SZEIKAN
3rd August 2013, 03:32 AM
I went to the website today and it's nice to see some of the team logos have been worked on =) Looking good. Not to mention the new Team pages are nice. Is the Advanced View not implemented at the moment?

Xpand
3rd August 2013, 10:44 AM
The advanced view is not active because it's going to show some data retrieved from the game itself, like thrust ratio and technical stuff like that.

Ace3000
3rd August 2013, 10:52 AM
Ooh, that'll be interesting!

Xpand
5th August 2013, 04:51 PM
Here's part 1 of me building the next prototype ship in 3ds max 8. If anyone's interested in modeling and would like to take a look just click the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QdvHnmk0oI

Xpand
6th August 2013, 01:58 PM
Here's one of the many references to this great forum that started it all:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/995162_606314892735455_1864703710_n.jpg

Cipher
13th August 2013, 01:58 PM
Subscribing to this thread

great work, would love to see wireframes and texture maps on the models (curious 3D artist here) and was wondering if you're using the HP to LP workflow or wether you're directly modelling into low poly
Love some of the designing in here :)

Cipher

Xpand
13th August 2013, 02:21 PM
Thanks!

You can see how a ship is currently being modeled for the game here:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?feature=c4-feed-u&list=PLeDILB1JCLL-vKvb_Tg2p5HtddqMQpaao

I usually make the model directly for the game. I don't make high poly models to optimize later. Ain't nobody got time fo' dat.

Cipher
13th August 2013, 03:38 PM
that time pays off though, personally find that you can go lower poly using normal maps without having a strong seam from one poly to the other
meeh, don't know, i just like modelling in HP :p

Keep it up! Good stuff ;-)

Cipher

Xpand
13th August 2013, 03:41 PM
Yeah but since they're specifically game models there's no reason to make them HP. I'd end up with a bunch of useless high poly models occupying space in my already crowded HDD...
I'm also more specialized in low/medium poly modeling than really high poly because I've been only making game models for 8 years now.
I always apply smaller details on the textures as well.

Cipher
14th August 2013, 01:20 PM
i always love to look back on HP models, dem smooth curves and such ^^, love it!
Though main advantage of HP to LP is that you can have dynamic lighting information on small details like screws/ indents/ bolts/ ... baking it into the normals
But everyone his own choice, so carry on ;-)

Cipher

Xpand
14th August 2013, 01:42 PM
Lol, I always textured my normals, like rivets and welding lines. Didn't know you could calculate them from actual mesh...

Cipher
15th August 2013, 10:09 PM
well, depending on your HP modelling skills and attention to detail when modelling the HP it can pay off nicely
an example + compact tutorial can be found here; http://cg.tutsplus.com/tutorials/autodesk-3d-studio-max/how-to-bake-a-flawless-normal-map-in-3ds-max/

from the videos u posted earlier i'm assuming you're still using max ;)
for feedback on the ship, modelling looks great, would adjust the texturing to have more of a metal feel (maybe some scratches and what not) ignore this if it's still WIP :)

Cipher

Xpand
15th August 2013, 11:22 PM
Thanks for that, I'll look into it.

There's also another reason why I don't go HP first, aside from lack of time. I usually do lots of drawings of the ships before modeling, so I basically convert HP to LP/MP inside my head while modeling. :g

Tecnically the ships are more carbon fiber than metal on the skin. For obvious reasons.

In another topic: Flying cameras:

Cipher
16th August 2013, 01:41 AM
Modelling on the fly is the best, not really time efficient, but sure as hell fun/relaxing :)
and love the cameras :D

Cipher

docfo4r
16th August 2013, 07:39 AM
Hey Cipher, nice to see you in here! How's it going? Still doing BB videos? :D

Are you good at modeling? U like to help me out on a track because right now I somehow swapped to coding xd

Cipher
16th August 2013, 09:13 AM
hah doc! been fine thanks, just lots of college work, still doing BBs from time to time ^ but how's you?

As for the modelling, my modelling skills are nice, but there's still lots i need to learn on rigging/ animation and texturing, stuff i'll see next college year
although i did get great grades for my final this year; http://i44.tinypic.com/2mwuv7d.jpg (cape and logo are project requirements (had to be a superhero car))
a very low quality render is here(without AO); http://i42.tinypic.com/j6toom.png
although it isn't 100% finished, but i haven't found the time yet to do so

so yeah, probably wont have any time modelling for you guys (college is coming up again with millions of tasks...)
And coding in C++ ? or using an engine's code thingy? coding without an engine sucks lol

Cipher

docfo4r
17th August 2013, 01:49 PM
Am doing fine aswell, just has some holidays. But I don't play WOHD so often atm. If I sit infront of the screen, most of the time there is SSGX stuff on it^^

Wow, very great model of the car. Really impressed!
Haha am using the Unity engine to code. It is JavaScript but with some adjustments to fit into the Unity world. Whole SSGX is made in Unity. Pretty nice and easy to learn actually.

Cipher
17th August 2013, 07:24 PM
wish i had holidays.. damn retakes :(
and i know that feeling working on 1 project all the time, did modding and map making back in the day, the editor was continuously on my screen :D (modified unreal engine), learned a lot from it, great stuff, nowadays i can't really find the time anymore, whichh is sad, because i never got to finish that project 100%, but i will... some day ^^

Never worked with Unity before, we were supposed this college year, but there was a licensing problem which prevented the college from handing out the software (although you can use it for personal use...)
And not a fan of Java lol, prefer C++, although each has their advantages ;)

Cipher

TypeProton
18th August 2013, 01:36 PM
Eye candy! ;)

http://i.imgur.com/f6qBwhLl.jpg

AquaAura
18th August 2013, 01:48 PM
Very nice! Which track is that?

(Sorry if you've already mentioned it before)

docfo4r
18th August 2013, 02:38 PM
No problem :D

This is "Hubian". It is TypeProtons own idea and creation. Settled in China and is currently in the modeling process by dreadofmondays.
But I think Type can hand out some more info about this track :)

Cipher
18th August 2013, 09:42 PM
looking good, love how it's completely different from a normal wipeout track :)
what should those 2 massive walls represent though?

Cipher

TypeProton
19th August 2013, 01:09 PM
It's a large wall-like structure with plants growing over one side. The track runs right underneath it. :)

Cipher
20th August 2013, 08:13 AM
think i know what you mean ;) (couldn't find refs of it though, damn chinese wall keeps popping up :p)

Cipher

Xpand
26th August 2013, 03:39 PM
Zepher's prototype is done: Zepher ZY

Cipher
26th August 2013, 04:45 PM
invalid attachment :p

Cipher

Xpand
26th August 2013, 06:13 PM
#$@%&%$

Here: http://threedmaniak.deviantart.com/art/SlipstreamGX-Zepher-ZY-Prototype-396048338

Also: I know the bump map looks a bit weird, but it was a quick fix.

Cipher
26th August 2013, 08:23 PM
what's wrong with the bump map? looks fine to me lol
don't go too hard on yourself ;-)

Cipher

Xpand
26th August 2013, 09:40 PM
It looked a bit distorted and pixelated because it was overlaying the dark panel lines.

DDD113
5th September 2013, 09:59 PM
Hello folks. Just a quick question to the dev team: could you guys provide large, high quality images showing the individual team logos (like the tiny ones on your website) so that we, the fans, could make t-shirts and other things out of them? Just food for thought. PS I LOVE Hubian and the Zepher prototype, looking great guys! :)

Cheers,

DDD113

docfo4r
6th September 2013, 05:08 AM
Hey DDD113,

making t-shirts etc. out of the logos is a very cool idea. It would also help to get more people into SSGX :D
Currently the team [and also track] logos are made by different people from the team. We will throw the logos all together and once we have them in a good enough quality we will place 'em here and into the upcoming website.

Cheers,
docfo4r :)

DDD113
6th September 2013, 08:51 PM
Awesome! Can't wait to get an IFREET shirt, I love that fiery logo :rock. I've tried to get anyone who will listen interested in WipEout, and if I get them hooked on it (which I have done a few times) I tell them about SSGX, trying to spread the word. The reception you guys have gotten is steadily growing, so let's hope for the best!

DDD113
8th September 2013, 11:03 PM
Also thanks for coloring the pads. I watched the new absorbing test at Draco Cavernae and you are clearly able to tell which pads are which from a distance, which will be a very nice feature. Plus the absorbing looks awesome, so it's just a win-win scenario! :)

docfo4r
9th September 2013, 04:24 AM
Thank you :)
For the absorbing, we might tweak the animation a little bit but those will only be small changes so the general thing stays the same. And yeah, I am also happy the pads are now divided not only by shape but also by color :)

DDD113
12th September 2013, 09:32 PM
Also, a question that's just been in the back of my mind for awhile... since you can't use Porto Kora for the first few "illegal" races in the Thruster ST-116, have you considered doing a 2048-style street circuit? It would have to be very basic, none of the swooping glass and metal sections that 2048 had, but just a track through the streets of some city. I just had the idea when I picked up 2048 yesterday, and I wanted to hear your input.

Xpand
12th September 2013, 09:38 PM
We thought of that right after we realised we couldn't use PK. It's going to be a street race style track in a modernized version of S. Paulo, Brazil.

DDD113
13th September 2013, 12:31 AM
Awesome. Got any concept art? (I'm just curious)

Xpand
13th September 2013, 11:58 AM
We haven't thought that far yet. We've got to finish what's on our plate first.

DDD113
13th September 2013, 08:47 PM
Alright, I understand. That IFREET prototype is looking great, by the way. :)

Xpand
13th September 2013, 09:17 PM
Thanks!
It's already done:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1231602_624952267538384_793074861_n.jpg

Jonny
14th September 2013, 12:07 PM
Shape looks like an Icaras while the livery reminds me an AG-Systems mixed with a '05 Ferrari :-P

Cipher
14th September 2013, 11:58 PM
icaras is a more stumpy design, this one's nice and smoooooooth :p

@xpand are you rendering in isometric or perspective? if it's perspective, then for some reason the perspective feels weird to me..
Good stuff though!

Cipher

Xpand
15th September 2013, 11:37 AM
Perspective, 42 degree FOV.

Cipher
15th September 2013, 02:43 PM
hmmm, odd, but okay :p
i must be losing it i guess ^^

Cipher

Richochet
17th September 2013, 08:38 PM
The default ships are fine but the prototypes are the ones that really impress me. Great work!

docfo4r
18th September 2013, 05:01 AM
So then you have a great motivation to unlock them in the final game ;)

BrunoDG
18th September 2013, 12:07 PM
Late reading. Crap XD
Well, I'm back from a long time no see at the forums. Hi again! xD

AAAAAND, for my late reading, I LOVED the idea of making the teams' T-Shirts! Would that definitely be awesome!
(Already waiting for the team logos to make my own A.T.L.A.S. t-shirt)

DDD113
19th September 2013, 11:20 PM
Thank you for your kind words Bruno. I am simply a fan who wants to help spread the word, and I would have no word to spread without the fantastic work that you all have done making the game. Great job so far, I can't wait to see what the future holds! :)

Oryx Crake
23rd September 2013, 09:08 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/1239830_629807503719527_1680032036_n.jpg

TheConzio
30th September 2013, 03:02 PM
Hey guys, wasn't sure where to post this, so I decided to do it here.

If the developers haven't already got music for the game, they're more than welcome to use my music, and they can choose what tracks to use out of all the tracks I've released.

Link for an example track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75Il9TepH0w

Like to from you guys soon.

Cipher
30th September 2013, 05:19 PM
^that video doesn't load for me for some reason conzio, just skips straight to the end, nice to offer though :)
checked your channel, "40 something" is great as background music for menus or sth alike ^^

@ioryx crake good stuff, if i may provide feedback, the left shoulder (for the person) looks a bit long/stretched, as if the neck isn't centred, still i think you did manage to capture personality. i would slightly distort the logo though (to match the perspective of the chest) as well as it being far more detailed than the rest, making it a distraction
Great work though, wouldn't be able to do it myself :p

Cipher

TheConzio
1st October 2013, 03:37 AM
Hmm. Not sure what went wrong there, I clicked the link myself and it loaded up just fine.
40 Somethin' for the menu music would work pretty well.

Here's a list of tracks that I think would best suit the game:
40 Somethin' (menu music)
Eventful
Analog Control
ObeY
Current Participants
Phantom Speed
Conzio77 (alternative menu music)
The Desire Decision (2nd alternative menu music, maybe credits?)

Who's the main developer for the game? Because I'd like it if they know that my music is available to be used.

Xpand
2nd October 2013, 12:34 AM
Hey, I think we can use one or two from you, just sent us an e-mail at slipstreamgx@gmail.com with a list of tracks so we can take a listen when we compile the soundtrack for the demo.

DDD113
3rd October 2013, 01:37 AM
Just wondering, would you guys be willing to release your funding progress toward Unity Pro? I might be more motivated to cut back and save some money for donations if there was visible progress.

TheConzio
3rd October 2013, 02:57 AM
I've sent the email Xpand.

Xpand
3rd October 2013, 08:44 AM
DDD113: We're at about 6.4% of our goal. It might get a boost once we release the demo, because we haven't really told many people we have an open donation box. :)

TheConzio: We're taking a look, or rather, a listen! :D

DDD113
3rd October 2013, 09:54 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I'm working on savings. Let's hope for the best! :)

Xpand
4th October 2013, 01:09 PM
Thanks a million! :D

docfo4r
4th October 2013, 01:49 PM
Yeah, thanks alot DDD113 :)

rdmx
5th October 2013, 04:38 PM
An idea for your warning symbols down the bottom - how about tessellating the triangles like so? (replace the ! as necessary of course) Perhaps grey out the unused ones as well.
79887989 EDIT: possible speedo revamp?7990

Xpand
5th October 2013, 05:39 PM
I like those ideas. IMO it's something to consider after the current work for the upcoming demo is complete.

Cipher
5th October 2013, 08:59 PM
really liking those designs rdmx, wouldn't use the colored triangle thingies in the second pic though, prefer the grey scale ones ^^
Would love to see a full hud shot, see how it looks, because you still have to take the game environment in account, to make sure it's clear :)

Cipher

docfo4r
6th October 2013, 12:26 AM
Cipher you can see the current in-game HUD here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBlS1RufQF8
Maybe it helps. We added a few elements which weren't on your initial design, rdmx. Like that Visualizer for the music for example.

Cipher
6th October 2013, 12:33 AM
why am i not subscribed? wtf!

and i think the hud needs to be scaled up a little, although that could be something adjustable in the options i guess, cool stuff :D

Keep this up!

Cipher

TheConzio
6th October 2013, 02:07 AM
Hey guys, has my music come of use for the game yet?

rdmx
6th October 2013, 03:36 AM
If I may make a comment about the current weapon icons - I think they're a bit busy, and hard to read at a glance.

Compare it to 7992

docfo4r
6th October 2013, 09:18 AM
Hmmm sorry, but I really like the current icons. But weapon icons is all about getting familiar with it. In every game you need to "learn" the weapon icons. It took me some time to learn 'em in WOHD aswell, when I began.

docfo4r
6th October 2013, 04:39 PM
@rdmx check this out:

http://s23.postimg.org/t9u7haid7/HUD.jpg

rdmx
6th October 2013, 05:39 PM
:D Is there any way to fix the font kerning for 'INTEGRITY' (and across the whole interface presumably) ? Doesn't look right (seems to think it's a monowidth font?)

Richochet
7th October 2013, 09:00 PM
Is the attachment broken for everyone? Also I agree that the current weapon icons are nice.

DDD113
8th October 2013, 12:08 AM
Yeah, I love the current icons, and those warning indicators look fantastic! They really give that futuristic edge to the HUD.

Cipher
8th October 2013, 01:08 AM
@richochet yeah it's broken for me as well, although the link represented the image as well, but that seems to be down now
and i like rdmx's icons more, but i guess that's personal opinion again :p

Cipher

docfo4r
8th October 2013, 05:01 AM
This attachment system here... ^^

Here is another link:
http://oi41.tinypic.com/2qs9o2h.jpg
I can also show you the full HUD of course on request, but right now I gotta go to work :)

Darkdrium777
9th October 2013, 02:58 AM
:D Is there any way to fix the font kerning for 'INTEGRITY' (and across the whole interface presumably) ? Doesn't look right (seems to think it's a monowidth font?)The correct way to get someone to identify and fix this issue is to talk about keming (http://xkcd.com/1015/).

rdmx
14th October 2013, 09:13 AM
Not sure if you guys are looking for more ideas for sponsors or not but here goes:
http://i.imgur.com/9S1coKn.png
It'd be some kind of manufacturing company. Perhaps they provide aftermarket parts to some of the teams?
(The Kanji says 'Shokaku Heavy Industries')

docfo4r
14th October 2013, 01:36 PM
Very cool work, rdmx. I like it alot :)

DDD113
15th October 2013, 09:59 PM
I like the arrow design a lot. Almost a little 2048 reference! :)

TypeProton
16th October 2013, 05:05 AM
Not sure if you guys are looking for more ideas for sponsors or not but here goes:
*snip*

Holy ****.

And here's to say that I'm not dead, just slowed down.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y214/pchalalai/Slipstream%20GX/SSGX_Hubian_track_iso_zpsc4185d01.jpg

SZEIKAN
16th October 2013, 07:41 AM
That's awesome news TypeProton! I'm really looking forward to your track. The style is just amazing.

Also nice work rdmx. I don't think you can have "too many" sponsors. It just makes the world more real the more sponsors there are. I actually think that there aren't enough sponsors on the tracks atm. All kinds of corporations should be paying for adspace around the circuits!

AGSys
16th October 2013, 10:43 AM
Hey I want to get in on all the designin' and the awesomeness and whatnot! I need to make a portfolio for art school anyway so I'll come up with some designs :D

DDD113
16th October 2013, 09:29 PM
My mind just transcended reality, TypeProton. Absolutely stunning, the style is just so unique and amazing. I'm looking forward to racing on this track, it will probably be my favorite. :)

Xpand
24th October 2013, 04:40 PM
Check the new thread called Fan Contributions (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?9342-Fan-Contribution-Thread&p=229416#post229416) in the SSGX forum. This thread will be reserved for stuff that's actually going to appear in the game.

Hellfire_WZ
24th October 2013, 05:43 PM
As the new thread title implies, this is for official artwork only. If you wish to contribute ideas yourself, please use the Fan Contributions thread. Anything posted here that is not officially confirmed by the team will be deleted.

TypeProton
27th October 2013, 07:42 AM
New Hubian concept arts for you. But I admit that I'm a slow(wwwww) worker on this, the motivation sometimes left me.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y214/pchalalai/Slipstream%20GX/SSGX_Hubian_track_iso_zpsb5790a02.jpg

This is overall look of the new Hubian. Decidedly going for more modern look. Originally it was to be upscaled ancient Chinese garden but picking a beautiful settings IRL and make it bigger didn't fit with the game's futuristic settings. The track is one large platform that sat inside the protection of city dam separating the city of Suzhou and outside water, surrounded by already existing buildings and audience stands.

As you can see the concept is loosely sketched because I'm going to detail several key spot in separate artwork. Like this revamped starting grid:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y214/pchalalai/Slipstream%20GX/SSGX_TRACK_Hubian_001_zps75f9a504.jpg

The starting grid is in a box with glasses on two sides and open roof, two stripes of advertising hologram scrolling above. The path leads pilots into the dreaded Pavilion section. My opinion is that it look sleeks enough to fit in but a bit dull than first concept. I'll need to design more props (Floating Chinese lantern, more billboard space come to mind. Not to mention side railings that are needed in other section) but make sure that each landmark in the track still shine through without getting buried under uniform design element. (Like many tracks that got remade in Wipeout HD. I'm not saying that it's a bad thing though.)

docfo4r
27th October 2013, 09:20 AM
Very great sketches! I'd love to read more textes like these, where you explain some certain sections of the track and go deeper into the details, very nice :)
Oh and I like this futuristic touch to it. For me, based on the first sketch, this will be a very clean and bright colored track.

And like I told you before, that big ship with the red wings, that'll probably be very iconic to Hubian. We'll make it sail around :)

DDD113
27th October 2013, 08:19 PM
Yeah, looks fantastic, just a little more detail and props like you said. Maybe some black trim in certain places? I also caution you not to go completely modern, the mixture of old and new is a good thing, like in the Alca Vexus track in WO Fusion (I know Fusion is a bad example, but that track looked good). Anyway, I can't wait for this track to be completed, I think it will be my favorite, just so much style! :) You guys should definitely make this one a priority.

Edit: You're keeping that 90-90 degree chicane right? I love that part, I hope it will make it! Also, an idea that just came to mind,since the track looks like it's made of something very smooth like metal or slate (correct me if I'm wrong), I think it would be cool if you made condensation on the track from the surrounding water, so the ships leave vapor cloud trails like the dust ones in DC, except they look like water. That would only apply to the outdoor sections that aren't under cover, but it would add a unique and cool aspect to the track.

Cipher
28th October 2013, 04:15 AM
looks cool, when i see that concept art, i see awesomeness in my head, and for some reason is ee this track as a night track with lots of light FX (those typical asian lamps as welll as those you light a little flame in and they rise up, stuff like that)
and then lots of tech billboards on old chinese house structures, yup, you made me fantasise , great work :D

Have yet to play the game (installed it though) but my controller is being a dummy and doesn't want to stay conencted to my system for some reason -_-

Anyways, you guys keep up this great work! love it!

Cipher

Xpand
29th October 2013, 11:44 PM
Working a bit on the tutorial track.
Got a few more buildings (one of them inspired by TypeProton's work (http://www.deviantart.com/art/Idyllic-371383171)) modelled plus a solar panel array...
https://scontent-b-cdg.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1379969_647983951901882_816399173_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/1374897_647983955235215_486223851_n.jpg

DDD113
30th October 2013, 12:14 AM
Tutorial track meaning the initial street circuit or a different, beginner circuit?

Xpand
30th October 2013, 12:21 AM
It's an oval track that can be customized with different obstacles so you can get familiarized with all the features of the ship. Believe me you will want this training because the street circuit is anything but basic.

DDD113
30th October 2013, 12:25 AM
Cool, I can't wait. I'm glad the street circuit isn't a cakewalk, too. You gotta love a good street race. On a similar note, will there be night and day modes on the street circuit (and maybe the tutorial track, too?)

Xpand
30th October 2013, 12:31 AM
Tutorial track is day only and the street racin track is night only, since they're campaign related (storywise) and aren't really selectable in the single player mode until you unlock them, there's no actual reason to make them night and day.

DDD113
30th October 2013, 12:34 AM
Alrighty, cool concept, love Type's architecture! On the subject of tracks, who is mainly doing Alphard, and since it appears fairly close to completion, will you release an updated version of the current demo with the 3 tracks when it is finished? (I love this track too, probably my second favorite only next to Hubian)

Edit: 113th post!!!

Xpand
30th October 2013, 12:50 AM
zero3growlithe is taking care of Alphard. I'm not sure if it's worth it to release a brand new demo just to update one track... This is where our lack of modability affects us most. We could simply send people the track model to be installed in the current version of the demo, without having to download the whole game, but unity encrypts the source files, so everything is unnaccessible unless you have an option to have the source files untouched when compiling the game. Of course that option is only available in Unity Pro...

DDD113
30th October 2013, 12:55 AM
But you're not updating the track, you're releasing it for the first time. It will be a shame if Alphard sits without being played by the public, it is a great track, but if it doesn't make it, then it doesn't make it, oh well, I guess.

AGSys
30th October 2013, 03:18 AM
Well, you could add it as DLC or something later on like how SL used to do.

docfo4r
30th October 2013, 05:16 AM
As long as we use Unity Free, we cannot update anything and a DLC would be useless since you can't integrate stuff into existing builts.

Overall, releasing the final version of SSGX with Unity Free could turn into a nightmare. Imagine we discover some minor issues and bugs, we'd want to clear them out so the game will be "perfect". But for those minor bugs [maybe a 20KB fix], we need to compile the full game again, all different versions and you guys need to download and install the full game again. Imagine there comes another bug fix or a small addition, you have to redo the whole process and that's kinda ridiculous.

This is another reason why we prefer to release SSGX with Unity Pro. Mod-ability is then another piece of cake that comes in :)

clojo733
31st October 2013, 02:32 PM
Yeah that sounds like a pain! Just out of curiosity, how far are you from reaching your goal of buying Unity Pro? I might make a little donation soon if I can. :b

docfo4r
31st October 2013, 02:50 PM
Hey, that would be very appreciated, clojo :) And btw: Every donater will be mentioned in a special page on the Credits in the future [which will not look like in the current demo].

Currently we collected 91,89€ out of 1425€ which makes 6,45% of goal. Still a long road ahead but every small step taken is a step closer to the dream :D

Jonny
31st October 2013, 05:34 PM
May I donate my next pocket money(24€)to you :)

AGSys
31st October 2013, 06:56 PM
I would if I wasn't broke and had a job. I feel bad. Anyway, I'm sure you guys thought about Kickstarter so why haven't you used it? Just curious.

Xpand
31st October 2013, 07:45 PM
We can't use Kickstarter because none of us are actually in the US or UK.
Plus we aren't working on this full time, so we aren't able to make special stuff for the people that fund us.

AGSys
31st October 2013, 09:52 PM
Ahh alright I get it. And that's a real bummer that it's only for the guys in UK and US. Anyway, are you sure there aren't at all any other ways of collecting money?

I don't mean to be annoying (which I probably am now, lol sry), I have a tendency to ask questions in abundance - be it good or irritating ones :P

dreadofmondays
1st November 2013, 02:14 AM
Well, we've answered the kickstarter question a number of times in different places. So just for future reference, everyone: We just can't right now ;)

DDD113
19th November 2013, 01:19 AM
Okay, so I've been thinking about Hubian. I love the track idea itself, and the last concept drawing looked absolutely fantastic. However, I always liked the closed starting grid better, and I know that you guys like the open one better, so I wanted to bring an idea to your attention. There seems to be a lack of enclosed starting grids in the later WipEout games and SSGX so far, and like I said, I like that concept, so I was wondering if you guys would consider merging our ideas with something like this:

The opening could either be completely open or plated with glass, that choice is yours should you choose to accept this model. I know it is a rough and simple way to illustrate this idea, but it's all I've got, and I think it conveys the point. I just kinda like this enclosed yet open look , like the grid at Megamall. Your new Hubian concept is just basically an open starting grid with a few beams and pillars, the enclosed feel is totally lost, and I liked it because it helped make the track even more unique. Also, you could eliminate some of the extra red beam designs since you want it to be cleaner in the more modern version, and still retain that look. You may not like it better than the last, but I urge you to at least consider this idea, and give me feedback on what you think. Thanks for your time. :)

Cheers,

DDD113

dreadofmondays
19th November 2013, 01:53 AM
K-bay has an enclosed starting grid running through an underground mall :)

DDD113
19th November 2013, 02:22 AM
Great! That'll be a nice detail, I'm looking forward to that track too, especially now, you can't beat mall sections in an AG racing game :). Is K Bay your track, Damon, or am I mistaken?

dreadofmondays
19th November 2013, 03:04 AM
Yes, it is my track.

This being the art thread, here's a screenie of the track right now: http://puu.sh/5mKrl.jpg

DDD113
19th November 2013, 03:10 AM
Wow. :clap Spectacular stuff there, I have a feeling the elevation changes are going to make this one iconic, and a lot of fun to fly, can't wait to see more! :D

DDD113
20th November 2013, 10:46 PM
Wow, just realized that I posted fan art in the official art thread. Guess that's what happens when you post late at night! :P Sorry about that, pictures have been moved to fan art, lol, I feel stupid! :)

docfo4r
21st November 2013, 04:05 AM
Haha lol no problem man, but thx for moving it :)