PDA

View Full Version : Wipeout Lore - The Story of Wipeout!

wildmorgan
25th July 2012, 12:19 PM
As this is a fan site, how come there's no section or even a main topic about Wipeout Lore?

I know there's individual sites for most of the games in the series which give you a lot of info on teams and tracks etc. but wouldn't it be cool if it was all almalgamated in one place?

I still don't know the country of origin for Icarus and Mirage (since HD's website isn't all that informative)

What makes WO so special to me is it's Lore/backstories. Just think it would be awesome is all...

Hellfire_WZ
25th July 2012, 02:11 PM
Ahem... ;)

http://youtu.be/7e4mDhaxj_M

There was also a fair bit of material on the main site before it went offline. Some of it was compiled by Damon Fairclough, the writer of the original backstory for the older games. You can download it here (http://www.mediafire.com/?l2tnzqwdmjd)

wildmorgan
1st August 2012, 07:53 AM
Yeah that video is really cool and informative, thanks for that.

Even so, I still think a proper fan website would be awesome, where every bit of information is available, whether it be on tracks, craft, teams, pilots, the whole story and gradual evolution of the AG racing league and featuring both official and fan art.

Don't get me wrong, I think this forum site is brilliant, but it's designed for a different purpose.

I want the story in its entirety, lol!

Amaroq Dricaldari
1st August 2012, 10:34 AM
I think it originally had all of that, before the website got attacked anyway. The forum is all they could bring back up, as far as I'm aware.

Hellfire_WZ
1st August 2012, 12:02 PM
It had quite a bit as it goes. A lot of fan art as well as a bit of official stuff, league tables for all the old games, fan fic and official backstory... Unfortunately it was significantly damaged during the attack and it would take a lot of work to bring back online

Ami Nakajima
1st August 2012, 03:22 PM
We are working towards releasing an official story to you guys, but look at Hellfire's vids, how the hell are we gonna beat that? ;)
Seriously *tips cap* some of the best we've ever seen.

F.E.I.S.A.R
1st August 2012, 03:30 PM
It's going to be quite a thick(?) book.

keg_11
23rd August 2012, 03:35 AM
We are working towards releasing an official story to you guys...

Now that SL's gone, you guys going to continue (even if it's published only on WZ)?

Xander Ze iTec
8th November 2016, 03:32 AM
I don't know if you even still do YouTube videos anymore, but you should make another lore video on the pilots, some have an interesting backstories like Ariel and her Assassination

T-301
12th June 2017, 04:47 PM
Hello. I found a minor detail that I thought you guys would want to know, even though it's probably already known either way.

There are some digital placards in WipEout 2048, near the finish line of Altima, which spell the following lines:

"Mag-Strip failure concerns"
"Will Pir-hana quit the sport?"

The first one not only suggests that MAGEC and their mag-lock technology have been part of AG racing since 2048, but also explains why mag-lock tracks weren't present in the subsequent WipEout titles timeline-wise until they returned way later on in the FX leagues due to reliability problems that needed to be sorted out.

The second one (somewhat) explains why Pirhana didn't show up in the first WipEout after 2048, only returning to the scene in 2097. Perhaps they thought they were lagging behind too much in their designs?

Take a look: https://files.catbox.moe/0urra8.webm?

Jonny
12th June 2017, 11:39 PM
Well, the devs had to explain why all the new stuff from post-Fusion times have been present in a game that is set before the very first title. They kinda worked their way around that with these news lines.

T-301
26th December 2017, 07:05 PM
Another tidbit.

https://i.imgur.com/jxHUfRM.png

This one seems to question if barrel rolls should be allowed or not in AG racing. Judging by the lore, they were probably banned after AGRC 2048, until the end of the F9000, where they were since brought back in the FX300.

Jonny
28th December 2017, 10:41 AM
FIA-like ruling would read like:

"Any device, system or program designed to harvest energy out of rotational movements by the craft is prohibited"

T-301
28th December 2017, 02:08 PM
I bet AG-Systems and their prototype craft drove the AG Racing commission to ban barrel rolls, along with side shifts combat spinning until the FX300. The ship description itself already implies that the ship's high-G capabilities were harmful for pilots due to the modified airbrake-thruster system, and its ability to perform combat spins on normal races probably gave them too much advantage over competitors. This stuff is Triakis before Triakis.

It's funny how we can connect a lot of dots with just a few lines of text in WipEout games.

Jonny
31st December 2017, 12:43 AM
Welp, many things are up to the players to connect (one of the reasons why I work on "WipEout Infinity. Not much, but I do), but yeah, the background is kinda interesting.

Though such things origin in design choices made. In this case they wanted a prequel (whyever) and yet keep the gameplay aspects of HD to show off Sony's crossplay thingy.
Hence the game had to be similar to stuff set in the future, while set in a time where it all actually didn't exist yet.
Weapons were downgraded, Mag-Lock failures, barrel roll bans, Pir-hana leaves, etc.

T-301
31st December 2017, 03:11 AM
Weapons were downgraded, Mag-Lock failures, barrel roll bans, Pir-hana leaves, etc.

I'll make a (most likely incorrect) stretch and guess that all the prototype craft from 2048 forced new rules to be written when the F3600 came about in some way or another.

FEISAR's prototype made them ban variable thrusters;
AG-SYS's prototype made them ban barrel rolls, side shifts and combat spins;
QIREX's prototype made them tone down weaponry so they couldn't outright destroy ships and endanger pilots due to how unhinged and brutal the combat events were in 2048 (the game itself was tailored to encourage more combat, as said by Liverpool themselves);
Auricom's prototype made them do away with ships that couldn't be stopped;
Pir-hana's prototype made them outright ban auto-accelerating craft with indefinite top speed in normal races due to obvious safety concerns (which even 2048's announcer showed when he described the ship).

Now that I think about it, Belmondo only really suggested an actual standardization of the sport by the end of 2050, didn't he? No wonder everybody was doing all sorts of crazy stuff before then; it had little to no rules. Daniel Chang's death in 2056 must've also strengthened the argument to standardize AG racing into something less suicidal and carrmageddon-ish and more like F1.

Jonny
1st January 2018, 08:06 PM
Welp, that's just down to speculation.

I find it kinda surprising how save the AGRC was though, it afterall happened in a league that didn't allow weapons to destroy craft :v

But what I tried to say is, since for some reason 2048 had to be a prequel and yet keep existing gameplay structures, you end up having such issues.
If Fusion would have been more liked, WipEout Pure would have a way different theme and the Fall wouldn't have happened in that way.
If in Pure the Tigron wouldn't handle bullshit good, they wouldn't have been disqualified in 2206.

Unless one of the respective writers just shows up telling me that stuff like the Fall was already planned.
Either way, I think the resulting backstory in these regards is pretty witty.

And in other cases speculation is just right away enforced, like...what is Cherovoski's secret? Who killed Arial Tetsuo in reality?

T-301
29th October 2018, 06:57 PM
AG-System's 2048 logo is in...chinese? Researching the kanji below points to chinese links.

反重力

keg_11
2nd November 2018, 09:43 AM
No, it's in Japanese (Kanji alphabet - based off Chinese alphabet).

GBalao888
20th January 2019, 12:57 PM
AG-System's 2048 logo is in...chinese? Researching the kanji below points to chinese links.

反重力

The symbols literally translate to "anti-gravity" in Japanese so that makes sense.