PDA

View Full Version : What's my speed?

Chris20M
9th July 2012, 03:18 AM
Hey guys! I'm new here! Nice to meet all of you!

WipEout 2048's been good for me, but one thing that keeps bugging me is that the speed meter is gone. It feels weird without the numbers telling me how fast I am
Anyone here feeling the same?

JABBERJAW
9th July 2012, 03:56 AM
Yes there are a bunch of little things missing, but most of the focus was on one BIG thing, racebox. I miss turbos for each lap on time trials, and a time trial selection grid. I wish I could see the speed as well. I wonder if this was to make the framerate smoother. The speed has not been in wo1, 64, and 2048. It might as well not have been in wo3 since you couldnt see it clearly anyway, not to mention it didn't display correctly in the original versions.

Temet
11th July 2012, 11:16 AM
The speedmeter is virtual.
A game can claim you're going 1000 kph but you don't feel speed while another one will say 300 kph and look faster.

Rossriders
11th July 2012, 01:23 PM
Interesting this is brought up.

Not sure if it was before, but considering how the original wipeout also lacked a means of telling you just how fast you were traveling, on one end it makes a bit of sense from a bit of continuity perspective (gameplay wise, I get the impression from videos that they staff didn't want to discard all the features they've added on from games far later down the timeline...but that's a ramble for another time and place). That being said, the other day I decided to try and get some lose idea of at least a potential average speed from a few videos of the original wipeout (since I lack access to any of the games outside the HD demo).

I'm not quite done with trying to figure things out, but I had a small theory given how in 2097/XL, speeds of 400kph were possible, in Wip3out those speeds were approaching if not over 600kph, and Fusion took that to a logical extreme with an average of 1500kph of the highest 'normal' speeds up to and maybe over 4000kph. Pure onwards dialed that back to within and over 1100kph, higher if you go for Zone mode/battle.

That being said, I'd figure the speeds for the F3600 and by extension the AGRC would be at around or under 400kph.

The point I'm actually wanting to get to is this...

One way to try and figure out speed is for one, the actual track lengths, and how long it takes for a given craft to get around depending on speed class. Then well...figuring out on average time per unit of distance (kph, mph, etc) and going from there. Again...I'm not done with what I can figure...but so far at least up to Rapier class in the original wipeout, speeds of 200mph+ on average are a possibility, and Phantom would be doubtless faster.

I would try to if possible, find out the lengths of the tracks, lap times per speed class/craft, and we could try and go from there...but that's just me.

Anyway...that's just me rambling...not sure if it will help or not. till later.

chalovak
11th July 2012, 02:12 PM
The only problem is the length of the tracks, unlike pulse 2048 lacks that kind of info.
On Empire Climb track do we really go to the top of this building? If yes speed can be calculated using just this info )))

Chris20M
11th July 2012, 05:51 PM
Well since we have a Mach class in Zone after A+, it's safe to say everything in 2048 is subsonic

talking about Fusion, it has supersonic numbers yet doesnt look anything like that, so even though the number is virtual, it still adds a sense of reality

OveReAction
11th July 2012, 09:04 PM
Doesn't size matter? 2048 ships are quite smaller than the latest manufactured ship in HD, so maybe speed there kinda supposed to be starting slow.

Chris20M
12th July 2012, 06:25 AM
IF the cockpit of the racers all these years are of similar sizes, then a 2048 Auricome Protype is not smaller than a 2206 Qirex I'd say, or a 2048 FEISAR Speed to a 2206 FEISAR is like a cab to a hummer
so theres not really a significant size difference

rdmx
12th July 2012, 08:51 AM
talking about Fusion, it has supersonic numbers yet doesnt look anything like that, so even though the number is virtual, it still adds a sense of reality

IIRC, one of the devs said that they were told by marketing to simply multiply the number by 2.

Chris20M
12th July 2012, 01:43 PM
So the standard unit for speed is 500m per hour in 2160? No wonder the AG League failed lol

JABBERJAW
12th July 2012, 02:06 PM
I don't care what the actual speed really is, I just want to see it clearly so I can see if I'm using the best technique for a turn, hill, ect.

Xpand
12th July 2012, 03:57 PM
The speedmeter is virtual.
A game can claim you're going 1000 kph but you don't feel speed while another one will say 300 kph and look faster.

Actually in Pure the speedometer is correct. I calculated my average speed per lap time in Vineta K, Phantom and the results were all around 700 kph.

kaori
12th July 2012, 04:13 PM
A speedmeter will be helpful to see the different top speed of each ship.