PDA

View Full Version : I must say..it's quite accurate.

Piranha Advancements
9th May 2003, 07:24 PM
Top 100 games of all time by IGN.

http://top100.ign.com/

Agree?It;s a damn good list but I'd say take out Tobal 2 in place for the original Wip'Eout".It's just felt like the weak link,I suppose."Wip'Eout" is the universe that will become ours.Surely racing in the Silverstream while Cold Comfort is playing is a much surreal experience than the "wine trading-go to dungeon-find good weapon-go deeper-exit-wine trading- etc."

And yes! FF7 aint in it because I assume thats where most new RPG gamers start on.Sure,cool summons like KOTR,Sephiroth,the Weapons blah blah...still,FF2 is still the best.

The should-have-been-in-the-list..

Jumping Flash - Quite easy but addictive.You use a mech rabbit called Robbit jumping really really really high,save Muu Muus and save the world.

Speedball 2 - (The one for the Megadrive,not PS1.Ah..teams like Brutal Deluxe,Super Nashwan..Turbo Hammers....who could forget this? Wha..?Never heard of it?Your loss!

Twisted Metal 2 - The most kick-ass vehicular combat next to TM:Black and Vigilante:2nd Offense.Kick ass multiplayer,stylized comic style "art",plenty of characters,all around sweetness.

Thunder Force 3 - One word to describe the music,the boss fights,the stages - Intense.

MK2 - The original was one of those "revolutionary" games.The sequel took a step higher.And it went downhill from there of which,at least MKDA was the saving grace.

Rainbow Islands - Controlling a ginger-haired boy sprating nauseatingly cute 8-bit rainbows and boomerangs "climbing" up and up through colorful stages amidst oval bland clouds.It's fun and it's addictive for something so..simple..well..it is 8 bit.

Myke_AG_Sys™
9th May 2003, 09:20 PM
The Amiga version of Speedball 2 was far superior!

I remember Jumping Flash, crazy game. Twisted Metal 2 was awesome.

Rainbow Islands.Drugs.

-Myke

Lance
9th May 2003, 11:56 PM
the ign list seems heavily slanted toward RPG and platformers with a few shooters. there are only three racing games on the list, GranTurismo3 A spec, super mario kart and f-zero. while fz started the genre, the wipeout series introduced the true feel of the future and developed the supreme example of the right gameplay and physics for the type. and surely the original GranTurismo deserves a spot in the top 100 for developing the truly deep championship mode for auto racing, plus perfect control. gt3 a-spec is just the same game plus more advanced graphics due solely to a more powerful console.

and no tekken 3?

twisted metal 2 should certainly be on there for its creation of a genre. the other outstanding member of the genre being vigilante8, especially V8 second offence for the Dreamcast

AmishRobot
10th May 2003, 07:27 AM
I can't agree with the top two. Ocarina of Time was good but seriously overrated, and Super Mario World was much better than Super Mario Brothers. I would replace them with Super Mario World and Tetris, respectively.

Nice to see Gunstar Heroes, Herzog Zwei, Kid Icarus and Return Fire on the list. I've lost many an hour to those games. Aside from the order of some games, I didn't see anything I seriously disagree with. I'm doubtful that Conker or Tobal were really that good, but I haven't played either so I can't say for sure.

Some games that Definitely should be on there:
Road Rash II - Back when EA was good. A mix of racing and combat that is sadly neglected these says. Seriously due for a good remake.

Tempest - The ultimate twitch game.

Panzer Dragoon Saga - Great reinvention of the RPG genre.

Grim Fandango!!! - Greatest adventure game ever made. Better dialogue than most movies. Leaving this off the list is tragic.

Wipeout XL/2097 - Wipeout3 is a better game but it took me 2 years to years to figure that out, and the series defined itself with this game.

Marble Madness - More addictive than crack, and anybody can play it.

xEik
10th May 2003, 09:29 AM
I find the list a bit too mainstream. And AmishRobot is right. I own Ocarina of Time. It's a great game but to say it's the second best game ever... :roll:
In fact, I think SuperMario64 is better than Zelda, maybe it lacks a consistent story but, for me, gameplay is definitely better. And this comes from a former SEGA fanboy. ;)

PRACTICE LEADS TO PERFECTION !

Piranha Advancements
10th May 2003, 06:24 PM
Whoa! Xeik an ex Sega fanboy! Hyuk hyuk! But didcha get the Sega CD back in those days? So much for saying it's gonna beat the SNES then cus it was using the CD format then..whoo.But I guess it has one of the underated games.Remember Snatcher?

Oh yes,I agree,Road Rash 2 has to be in there.Still remember protecting "Natasha" and always tring to make sure Public Enemy No.1 kisses the tarmac using the 2 by 4.

And Myke,how different is Speedball 2 on the Amiga than the Megadrive aside from graphics?Speedball 2 is a damn great game,pity after I waited for so bloody long and it finally came out for the PS,expecting ome new stuff..and only to be shocked at playing almost the same version as the Megadrive except with more challenges..

Yep,I think Amish got the top two just about right.

xEik
10th May 2003, 06:57 PM
No MegaCD. My SEGA hardware collection consists only of a MegaDrive and a Saturn. All good memories.

PRACTICE LEADS TO PERFECTION !

foxfoil
10th May 2003, 08:03 PM
well,.... i think i would of liked to see Wipeout 1... even if it is a racing game in the end (well...not really) its THE game that set the tone for the PS ! great speed graphics and the game made my dad feel ill, he never was a console fan, but when he came to get me from a friends house and he saw Wipeout...... he was amazed lol... for he bought the PsX before Xmas and he left it at a work collegues house and they would play on it Hahahahaha.

other than that... well Where's LEMMINGS !!! and maybe CaNnon Fodder...or even Worms (since they talk about easy addictive games) and speedball 2 of course!

and they are no shoot them ups like R-type, or project X (on amiga) or ikaruga.. (well come to think of it there was Galarians i think somewhere in there)

anyway, its not the universal top 100 we're all different, but it was a cool thing to do!!!

and Big up to Miyamoto... he is a God after alll LoL

FoxZero
10th May 2003, 08:48 PM
no wipeout? forget that. why are the top 8 games nintendo games? is this because most ign readers are nintendo players, or because nintendo sponsors ign? i sense a conspiracy. the whole thing was just inviting forum fodder anyway, something to get the kids arguing about so their site gets more hits.

sega cd was also responsible for sonic cd, which many claim to be the definitive sonic title. nintendo wouldve caused themselves major economic failure if they had not finally gotten over their fear of cd based console systems (there was talk of gamecube being cartridge). you'd think they wouldve learned after n64 couldnt even support squaresoft's games. this probably has something to do with sony screwing them over with psx.

nintendo still went with a proprietary format, go figure.

Thruster2097
10th May 2003, 11:15 PM
yeah, mostly "sour grapes" on ninny`s behalf, I guess..
Thinking back through my sega megadrive years, there was no "loading" screens, no jumpey music from scratched discs..... It would be very, very interesting to see a machine with the gamecube`s power running soely on cartridges..

And about that top 100 list, GTA Vice City has to be #1.
Total style, and something for everybody. Class act all the way.

...WipEout series world come a close 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th, though... :roll:

AmishRobot
11th May 2003, 03:10 AM
Personally, I found GTA3 to be far more compelling than Vice City. I like the feel of it a lot more. The only thing it's missing are those motorcycles.

hinrg
11th May 2003, 02:15 PM
Well, that's the problem with such lists...to some people they don't really appeal.

I'm actually not a console player so i just accept the console titles taking these many ranks...i've never seen them so i don't dare judging.
But what gets me a bit is the strange positioning of PC games.
- I can find DOOM and Wolfenstein-3D placed in there, but wasn't it actually QUAKE that really kicked our asses. If there is an engine that really introduced 3D, than it was QUAKE and don't tell me the story was poor - yes, it was and still is, but the atmosphere when the wind whistles between these neon-flickering techno castles was great and is a style never beaten since!
- STARCRAFT didn't involve too much...other titles could have gone in there as well,
- same with CRIMSON SKIES, but that might have to do something how different games are placed and seen differently in different parts of the world (...that also seems to count for the WipEOut series :()
- COUNTERSTRIKE is mentioned but if you ask me, the first game that really introduced some strong-character plot was, don't laugh please, DUKE NUKEM 3D. Without that one, games like Halflife/Nolf and all those wouldn't have been possible...i really wonder why it is missing.
- The fact that WIPEOUT is missing, well, we don't need to talk about it, do we ;)?
- What i personally miss, is MDK! Just part 1, MDK 2 was not good if you ask me, but the first game invented the Sniper-mode, and if you ask me, the gimmicks, the soundtrack and the superior level look are still something other would have to beat! Remember, you could play it with a 'unaccelerated' Pentium 60 and it still looks and feels vanilla! A shame that it has not much fans...

Your Hi-NRG

foxfoil
11th May 2003, 06:37 PM
well i agree with duke and Quake... they should be in there no doubt... as for StarCraft, it looks like just a real time strategie, but you have no idea how complicated it is and how much skill is involved.
one thing can be countered by another, and that by another, and you have to be so fast, ive seen some friends play (they r quite good) and its quite amazing. if you add to that Battle.net its just insane !
counter strike should maye have been pushed up a bit : teamplay in a FpS? vocal connection to talk to teammates? very accurate damage localisation (HS anyone lol) and 1 weapon carry mode.... its all CS !

finally maybe Rainbow 6 should have been in there (or maybe it is...)

Brother Laz
12th May 2003, 07:40 AM
The should-have-been-in-the-list..

Twisted Metal 2 - The most kick-ass vehicular combat next to TM:Black and Vigilante:2nd Offense.Kick ass multiplayer,stylized comic style "art",plenty of characters,all around sweetness.

It isn't ?!

BLASPHEMY!
TM:Black is better, but still... ;)

Piranha Advancements
12th May 2003, 05:15 PM
Gotta give mad credits to the best in the series,Laz.

Warhawk is a &@#$%, aint he..

Oh..and hail to the TM Alliance!

Brother Laz
13th May 2003, 07:23 AM
Oh..and hail to the TM Alliance!

Yep. ;) Annoyingly slow site though... :evil: