PDA

View Full Version : HD gaming and all of these issues. tl;dr

XoPachi
18th April 2012, 02:57 AM
I'm talking about Box, Vita, and even some PC games of today. I'm not sure about PS3 as I don't have one yet. I ask this because I just bought Skullgirls for my Box and I wish I could tell you how awesome it is, but I can't. It's viciously broken. Literally, it is unplayable. It freezes more than the freeze option of Gradius V and I only played for 20 seconds before the game just had seizures and quit indefinitely.

I'm not hating on new games or being some retro purist, but seriously, HD games like to SUCK in the technical department. I don't notice these issues on Wii or 3DS. These are all the games I tried recently that mess up and what happened after. Ironically, I have had the same Box since launch and have not had the red ring, but the games...DAMN!!! Here are some examples of what I mean.

Fallout NV, Box: F3 was amazing so I picked this up. Big mistake. Not only did I hate this game in general, but it was so buggy I couldn't believe it. I would jump and my gun disappeared out of sight. The game froze constantly among a vast amount of other problems.

Fallout NV, PC: I tried it on something superior...same deal.

Vanquish, Box: First copy froze at one specific part in the first level. Second copy did the same thing, but not as often.

WipEout 2048 AND Vita: Both had a joint assault on my patience. They never stopped freezing. I turned on my Vita for the first time, Welcome Park, froze. WipEout froze constantly and it never wanted to load again until I restarted the Vita. I actually confirmed it wasn't one or the other. It was indeed the case that both had problems so I had to swap out each. My new items work perfectly now.

Rage, Box: This is a weird one. It's hard to explain which is worse than normal. As I progress through dungeons (only happens there) the game...deteriorates. The textures progressively get worse and when I switch weapons, they start looking like unfinished base models. The sound will eventually disappear. Music dies. I'll shoot and hear nothing. The enemies won't make sounds and the pause screen won't either. I'll try and go to the menu, but the game quits and loads forever. Upon leaving a dungeon, it also quits. So I have to go to the dashboard and reload the game.

Reach, Box: Froze. Simple. Froze. Borrowed it. Couldn't play it. First cutscene. Pissed.

FFXIII, Box: The only FF I actually really like and one of the few jrpg's I found engaging...the copy I buy after borrowing a friend's doesn't work. Go figure. Couldn't beat that general guy in the Cocoon(?) because it always froze after that cutscene. It was bought new...off Amazon. T-T

DoDonPachi Daioujou, Box: This one hurt me because it is one of the best games I ever played and I was happy to finally have a chance to play it thoroughly. I was only able to play the PS2 version at Otakon 2007. My friend has a J-tagged unit so he can import every game no matter what. He got DDP and it froze and chopped relentlessly. That is a bullet Hell shooter and the most diabolical of it's kind. If that chops and freezes, you will die so fast.

This was all in the course of 40 days. The only used ones were Vanquish and Reach. I don't understand why companies don't do extensive testing on their products. It can't just be my stuff. Skullgirls has no excuse to not even let me play for a full minute. It's a download! If they tested it, it shouldn't be this bad. It can't get scratched or anything. I doubt it installed incorrectly. Installing helped none of these disc games either. What's wrong with today's stuff? Do you go through this? Personally, I'm absolutely sick of it. I'm glad Nintendo doesn't have this issue even if I no longer like most of their stuff. Tips?