PDA

View Full Version : PLAYSTATION 4 + WipEout = ?

SOLID_STATE
8th April 2012, 10:36 AM
There have been many rumours and reports of a Playstation 4 being in production and I was curious to see what people think the latest iteration of Wipeout for this new console will be like.

docfo4r
8th April 2012, 03:06 PM
I hope it won't happen soon [the PS4]. I got my PS3 just a few months ago to play WHD, don't wanna my a new console everytime a new game appears...

vdek
12th April 2012, 08:02 PM
WHD came out 4 years ago, if a PS4 were released next year with a new Wipeout you would be buying it in 2017 by projecting your buying history.

jaminjack
12th April 2012, 10:29 PM
The next generation ps4 won't have the cell processor it will probably have an AMD. Unless Intel, gets its act together, and designs a new processor line. Wipeout will need to be recoded to run on it. IBM Sony and Toshiba invested in the cell architecture in the beginning. IBM and Toshiba and Sony have withdrawn any support on the next generation cell. So PS3 XBOX and all the rest will be just the same old processing crap dating back to the 1970's

Colonel
13th April 2012, 12:33 PM
Personally I love the thought of a Wipeout on PS4, I can't even imagine how good it would look. I remember getting Fusion and being blown away by the graphical difference on the PS2 compared to earlier games. And of course the huge leap that HD made over Fusion.

6 or 7 years and a next-gen console later, the visuals will surely be mind blowing. I just hope they get to do it.

I know gameplay is the deciding factor for its success, but the potential of graphics on the PS4 really excites me :)

Amaroq Dricaldari
13th May 2012, 11:42 PM
The Playstation 4 better have DirectX (under the assumption that Microsoft finally makes DirectX multiplatform). I also hope that the CPU and GPU are made by Intel and Nvidia (I still prefer Intel and Nvidia for a wide variety of reasons, such as PhysX, CUDA, and Hyperthreading).

Vorpal-Knife
14th May 2012, 07:46 AM
Directx on a PS3 is ridiculous. - Why would MS give there opponent A key part of Xbox and Windows Gaming Platform? - Plus , the Latest OpenGL is just as good - if better then DirectX,
But Hey, I'm not a huge fan of DX anyway.

Anyway... Yeah WO4 would suite PS4 quite well - just scary to think about what the graphics would be like, I Mean, I was blown away by WOHD.
Apparently Everything is turning cloud based anyway - the PS4 may be a Credit Card Sized Hub which connects to Sony Owned servers to play games - however Sony Creating an infrastructure like that would be colossal to say the least - that's if they haven't got cloud based integration already (I really have no idea).

I Just Hope people still keep buying WOHD - just get four or five copies - the more copies you/I buy , the more budget the next wipeout game will have.
I would love to see WO as a game where people wait for like 4-5 months for it to come out - Like Gears and Halo.
It would be totally badass - Then again , LV studios really has to do something drastic to reinvent the series again - and it's guaranteed that that change would be hated by Hard core WO fans.

blackwiggle
14th May 2012, 09:24 AM
What a PS4 will be is anybodies guess after the shocking losses Sony have suffered after wrongly reading the market.

Sony was the major one that pushed 3D on everybody, thinking that gamers would pull the rest of the market along with it demand wise....that hasn't eventuated.
A few reasons for that, apart from the obvious reticence of people wanting to wear 3D specs....lack of free to air 3D content, the total rip off packaging of 3D with what few 3D movies are released [you can't just by 3D Blurays discs by themselves, most new releases are usually bundled with the 2D BR version, a DVD version and a downloadable copy version, at more than double the price of a new release Blueray, I mean really ....it's just plain stupid], and thirdly...the very basic reason that nobody has agreed on a standard for 3D releases....so it's like HDDVD V's Bluray all over again, but this time it's being fought out in the cinemas..........Peter Jacksons preview showing of the HOBBIT at 48fps 3D has just opened up another can of worms [it will look like **** in all likelihood once transferred to Blueray in 3D].

Samsung is NOT going to be doing 3D in the future on any but it's top of the range TV's from what I've heard, don't know what Panasonic is doing....probably being bought out by the Chinese.

So what new technology is there that would need a new PS4.......well there is 4K screens.......if you were stupid ...sorry, I meant lucky enough to buy one....well unless it was at least 10ft wide, the human eye is not able to detect the difference in resolution from 1280 Blueray to 4k, so it's technology that should stay in the cinema......[ Yamaha's newest HT amps have Blueray to 4K upscaling, so you are covered at a small cost should you get a 4k capable screen]
8k, well that is different, very noticeable difference, but not likely to happen anytime soon.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9U7e_quvkPQ
Mind you, a movie at 8k resolution would be around 500G in size, you would need a new cheap to mass produce media 15X Blueray's capacity....even 4k is going to need the newest dual layer Bluray discs [which in turn needs a new BR player or software updateable one to play these discs back]

So if games WERE to go for the newer higher resolution, the size of them would be HUGE....with games being made for multi platforms, unless the Xbox get a major reinvent, well these higher resolutions are just fancy thinking and won't happen.

So when you look at all this and account for it, I think the PS3 has a LOT of life still left in it, and a PS4 will be quite a while from release, as there is no real reason to supersede the PS3

The only real reason Sony would reinvent the PS as we know it, is if Sony reinvented the PSN.....which is far more likely to happen than any new technology, screen wise, that is about to hit....I think crossplay has just shown the limits of the PSN, and as Wipeout players, we are all the first to be all too aware of the shortcomings.

Amaroq Dricaldari
14th May 2012, 09:23 PM
Directx on a PS3 is ridiculous. - Why would MS give there opponent A key part of Xbox and Windows Gaming Platform? - Plus , the Latest OpenGL is just as good - if better then DirectX.
I would hate to break it to you, but unless you're using DirectX 8 (and who the hell uses that anymore?), OpenGL (metaphorically, not literally) lags behind. Take a look at what DirectX 11, for example. Have you seen screenshots of Skyrim or Crysis 2 with DX11?

And while OpenGL does have better plugin support and maybe a few features DirectX doesn't have, whoever said you couldn't use both at the same time? They work wonderfully together.

Now the only reason DirectX is exclusive to Microsoft operating systems is because they didn't get around to making it multiplatform yet (look up either DirectX or OpenGL on Wikipedia).

As for 3DFX Glide, that is just a lighter version of OpenGL designed to run on 3DFX hardware.

dobyblue
11th July 2012, 06:06 PM
I hope it won't happen soon [the PS4]. I got my PS3 just a few months ago to play WHD, don't wanna my a new console everytime a new game appears...

Stop waiting over 5 years to buy the new consoles then! lol

dobyblue
11th July 2012, 06:33 PM
thirdly...the very basic reason that nobody has agreed on a standard for 3D releases....so it's like HDDVD V's Bluray all over again, but this time it's being fought out in the cinemas..........Peter Jacksons preview showing of the HOBBIT at 48fps 3D has just opened up another can of worms [it will look like **** in all likelihood once transferred to Blueray in 3D]

This is incorrect. There IS a 3D standard for Blu-ray and it’s the MVC/MPEG-4 codec. In the cinema the only difference with The Hobbit is that it is double frame-rate. Blu-ray is not spec’d for AVC/MPEG-4 1080p48 or MVC/MPEG-4 1080p96 (2 @ 1080p48) so when The Hobbit hits Blu-ray you will be watching it in 24Hz just like any other Hollywood film.

Samsung is NOT going to be doing 3D in the future on any but it's top of the range TV's from what I've heard, don't know what Panasonic is doing....probably being bought out by the Chinese.

Panasonic will continue to offer 3D in the vast majority of its TV sets. Those comments on Samsung are based on a local Dutch rep and one Dutch op-ed. Hardly a company policy.

So what new technology is there that would need a new PS4.......well there is 4K screens.......if you were stupid ...sorry, I meant lucky enough to buy one....well unless it was at least 10ft wide, the human eye is not able to detect the difference in resolution from 1280 Blueray to 4k, so it's technology that should stay in the cinema......[ Yamaha's newest HT amps have Blueray to 4K upscaling, so you are covered at a small cost should you get a 4k capable screen] 8k, well that is different, very noticeable difference, but not likely to happen anytime soon.

If the human eye can’t detect the difference from “1280”, presumably you meant 1080, to 4K then it logically can’t tell 8k either, but in reality there will be times when the human eye can’t tell the difference between 480 and 1080 on a 10ft screen and times when you can tell the difference between 480 and 1080 on a 22” screen, it all depends on viewing distance and without mentioning this everything else goes out the window. You can get the full benefits of 4K on an 80” screen at 5ft viewing distance, the full benefits of 1080p at 10ft viewing distance. As soon as you start moving closer from 10ft you start to get more of the benefits of 4k, even if you’re not getting the full benefit. So at 7.5ft you’re resolving around 3K. on a 30” PC monitor you’re getting the full benefits of 4K at around 2.5ft, which is probably not too far off where some people sit in front of their PC’s anyway. If you have a 4K projector and a 130” screen then you get the full benefits of 480p at 38ft, full benefits of 720p at 26ft, full benefits of 1080p at 18ft, full benefits of 4K at 9ft. 8K? I guess it would start showing benefits on a 130” as you move closer from 9ft?

Mind you, a movie at 8k resolution would be around 500G in size, you would need a new cheap to mass produce media 15X Blueray's capacity....even 4k is going to need the newest dual layer Bluray discs [which in turn needs a new BR player or software updateable one to play these discs back

We’ve seen discs up to 400GB demonstrated some years ago for future PC usage, using 33.5GB/layer and over 10 layers in some cases. Yes it would need new players, but it would likely also use new codecs. AVC/MPEG-4 was being used on Blu-ray Discs as of October 2006, it achieves the excellent results it does at about 1~2% of the original file size of the uncompressed movie. No doubt they’ll have made huge imrovements in efficiency by the time 4K movies hit the market. The MVC/MPEG-4 codec uses only 50% of the bandwidth for the right eye’s signal for 3D movies as the original AVC/MPEG-4 codec so we can already see advancements being made.

So if games WERE to go for the newer higher resolution, the size of them would be HUGE....with games being made for multi platforms, unless the Xbox get a major reinvent, well these higher resolutions are just fancy thinking and won't happen.

So when you look at all this and account for it, I think the PS3 has a LOT of life still left in it, and a PS4 will be quite a while from release, as there is no real reason to supersede the PS3

Resolution isn’t the only thing that could improve with the next console, we will continue to see advances in graphics. If you play your PS3 on a standard definition TV and output at 480i it still looks miles better than the PS2, so it isn’t just about resolution. PC games support higher resolutions than PS3 games already, they’re still mostly arriving on DVD.