PDA

View Full Version : Elimination challenge!

AmishRobot
5th May 2003, 10:25 AM
I thought I'd try something a little different, so here are the rules:

Note: This is not a regular race! This is for the Elimination Mode in WO3.

Deadline: May 18, 2003

Settings: Set Elimination points to 40

Track: Terminal

Class: Phantom

Ship: Player's choice between Assegai or Icaras

Scoring: Since this mode is not timed and it's assumed you will win the race, scoring will be based on the margin of victory. When the race is over, average the opponent's scores (do not include your own!) and round the number to the nearest hundredth of a point. Post that score, along with the ship used.

Lowest score wins!

(This may seem needlessly complex, but using the average allows for more variation in scores.)

BE aGgRESSIVE!

Brother Laz
5th May 2003, 11:05 AM
Do checkpoints need to be on? (I'm thinking of standing still for 20 seconds after a death, shooting quakes backwards, etc)

Brother Laz
6th May 2003, 06:22 AM
Pwnz yoo.

/\-> /\-> /\-> /\-> /\->
There's no other weapon except occasionally mines. Plasma is overrated.
Kill yourself right after the starting grid if you're low so you don't have to mess around with energy drains.

___

FoxZero
6th May 2003, 07:08 AM
spent all day racing, this is the best ive done so far. i think im gonna stick with using assegai for this competition. will try some more tomorrow, im wiped out 8)

___

FoxZero
7th May 2003, 02:10 AM
___

Brother Laz
8th May 2003, 09:10 AM
Grmpf!

How in the name of the nine panthers of Vostok do you get those enemies below 3 laps? (aside from getting an alternating combination of quakes and plasma for 3 straight laps)

I can guess the idea is to blow them all up in the first lap by getting 5 quakes so that they have to start their lap over, but in subsequent laps I get all the useless weapons and can't do anything #é&$*!!!

;)

Ah well, another evening, another chance. ;)

AmishRobot
9th May 2003, 01:13 AM
Not a winning score, but:
___

FoxZero
9th May 2003, 01:48 AM
if you just rely on the quakes/plasma you will not reduce the scores enough. amishbot seems to have it down pretty good.

Brother Laz
9th May 2003, 12:02 PM
Aargh!

___

Me lucky with quakes... not lucky enough. :(

DJ Techno
11th May 2003, 12:09 AM
question...

i still have some time to meet the challenge and beat each persons scores?

Since, this is the main two places I hang out. The Pilots Lounge and The Arena.
And since I haven't tackeled some opponents in a Elimantions Challenge for a very long time, mind if I join in?

I see the choices are Assegai and Icarus...
Assegai if I join.
And you guys are talking about mines, quakes, and plasma bolts. But what about rockets, missles, sheild drains, and strategy?

AmishRobot
11th May 2003, 03:06 AM
Everyone's welcome! We need more competition! Sadly, you'll find manic and rapid deployment of all weapons to be far more effective than strategy. ;) I tried out several races when coming up with the rules, and the best average I could get was around 18. That was with strategic use of weapons. After Laz and FoxZero posted their first scores, I decided to change my approach, and you can see the results.

Quake and mines are defnitely the most effective weapons, but that doesn't make the others useless. Rockets, missles, shield drain and even cloak can help. But I've found that it's not worth holding onto anything for the right opportunity. It pretty much boils down to speed, hitting as many weapon pads and as few walls as possible, and a little bit of luck. ;)

FoxZero
11th May 2003, 04:53 PM
i actually used quite a bit of strategy.. mostly in the firing of the weapons. although for the most part you are right amish, its about flying over the weapon pads as fast as possible.

Brother Laz
12th May 2003, 07:52 AM
And you guys are talking about mines, quakes, and plasma bolts. But what about rockets, missles, sheild drains, and strategy?

What strategy? :)

/\-> ----- /\-> /\-> ----- >>>|> /\-> /\-> ----- /\->

Energy drain is useless (just kill yourself after the starting line and respawn; only good as finishing move on a nearly dead enemy, because it always hits).
Rockets suck, you need 5 seconds to aim them and even then they only hit one guy and slow him down so much that you lose contact with the rest of the field.
Missiles are worse, because you can't really aim them at all.
Plasma is too time-consuming to aim if the road isn't straight.
All defensive power-ups are a waste of time.

Nice trick: usually weapon pads come in order of red/yellow/red/yellow... when you pick up a quake, fire it and pick up the next item regardless of color, then dump it if it's yellow. That way, the next red grid can give you a quake again. But if you pick up an useless red item, try to avoid yellow grids so that the next red grid won't give it again.

Increasing the chance to get a quake from 1/6 to 1/5 is worth it (but it seems there's a small chance to get an energy drain from a red grid as well?!).

Sadly, you'll find manic and rapid deployment of all weapons to be far more effective than strategy. ;)

Nope, dead wrong.

Manic and rapid deployment of quakes and mines is more effective than strategy. :)

AmishRobot
12th May 2003, 12:29 PM
With the exception of defensive weapons and energy drain, it's better to fire them than let them go. There have been a number of times that I've fired a plasma bolt, and by the time it was released, I'd turned a corner and had someone in front of me.

Cloak, energy drain, and reflector should be used as well if you're in a crowd and between pads. Just remember to drop them before you get another pickup. Every little bit helps. :)

Most enemies take three quakes to kill. Any other weapon hit drops that down to two.

FoxZero
19th May 2003, 09:18 PM
this competition was rockin. is the deadline reached yet everywhere else in the world?

AmishRobot
19th May 2003, 10:00 PM
I set the deadline for yesterday, but I'm all for keeping it going. I'm a little disappointed in the lack of participation. For that matter, I'm a little disappointed in myself for not working at it further this weekend. I'm curious to see if anyone can get a sub-2.0 score. I'll give it another go sometime this week when I get a chance.

FoxZero
20th May 2003, 03:42 AM
is it only me, you, techno and laz? wheres lance? infox? task? ANYBODY? it seems like this would be an all format tournament, but wheres the global support?

infoxicated
20th May 2003, 08:06 AM
I planned to take part, but I just don't have the time to dedicate to it at the moment. Things I hoped would be out of the way a month ago are still demanding my time. :oops:

If you extend the deadline then I'll try my best to put in some effort this weekend. :)

Lance
20th May 2003, 08:20 AM
Lance has played elimination mode exactly once in the entire time he has owned WO3. it would appear that Lance is a little narrow-minded when it comes to this game; he seems to prefer racing round-and-round for times. :roll:

FoxZero
20th May 2003, 08:59 AM
he also likes to talk in the third person, but hes not fooling anybody :P

so..maybe a tentative deadline of a week from now or something..