PDA

View Full Version : which editing software ?

FirstDave
26th January 2012, 06:39 PM
Well i wasnt sure where to put this so seeing as this relates to the game cap gaming capture card i thought here was best.The software that came with the Roxio gamecap is Roxio videowave and its ok to a point but just lacks effects and manipulation.So can anyone suggest something better for under a hundred quid that is windows 7 compatible.:)

Dave.

Hellfire_WZ
26th January 2012, 07:22 PM
Was about to suggest Adobe Premiere before I saw the under £100 tag ;)

Have a look at these (http://video-editing-software-review.toptenreviews.com/), they may be useful. Pricing is in dollars so I'm not sure whether this would be any different over here, but it's a guideline.

FirstDave
26th January 2012, 08:30 PM
Thanks Hellfire,Thats a very handy link and roxio creator seems very good and i got an offer from them recently for that but i,m going to check out the others first to try and work out the pro,s and cons of each.I wish i could throw £650 at Adobe premier pro but not in this life i fear. :)

Dave.

feisar rocket
26th January 2012, 10:18 PM
Try "TrakAx" has many effects, voice and video recording. And pro is $27-40.

Pro is every thing you need if making an abridged series.

Ragsus Maxima
27th January 2012, 09:17 PM
Since you're willing to get a good video editing software without spending over £100, then Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum is a nice option and I'm sure it suits better for what are you looking for.

The main problem with Vegas is it has a steep learning curve, but once you get the hang of it, you'll be capable to make videos worthy of a professional editor.

But of course, the choice is yours. Anyway, Hellfire gave you a nice selection. :)

MyNameIsBom
28th January 2012, 01:20 AM
deleted

blackwiggle
28th January 2012, 09:08 AM
The problem with VEGAS, as with pretty much all Sony owned software that I have run over the years is that everything will be running perfectly, then, suddenly, unannounced and without warning or explanation will come the update of death.
It will either or/and totally brick your PC, requiring a total reinstall of everything, then once done, on reinstall will just mess you around with so many protocols and needed driver updates [that cripple the software for what you want to do] you just end up ditching the program.
Every time this has happened it has been a digital rights management update.
Problem is, if you are working with your OWN generated media it DOESN'T have DRM embedded in it, as it's RAW data.
The updated Sony software thinks since it doesn't have DRM encoded with it it's illegitimate/illegal media, so won't process it.

It really is that unbelievably stupid of Sony to write a update that does this.
Go figure, the Lawyers are running Sony, the Engineers and Electronic brains are long gone.

I've had it happen to me with VEGAS PRO 8, SonicStage, Soundforge and early versions of ACID.

ADOBE is not much better, in fact in one particular case it is infinitely worse, and that's with actually removing a Adobe program from your PC...they screw your windows registry up big time, clean install is the ONLY cure.

The problem with Adobe software is the inherent tracking and update procedures that occur every time you start up your PC.

If you have a few Adobe programs installed you can have everything grind to a stop while all the programs check in , verify legitimacy, check for updates, ready updates, download, then install......happens quite a lot with Adobe software. :brickwall

Hellfire_WZ
28th January 2012, 09:55 AM
Actually, I have to agree about Adobe. My computer takes an age to be ready once it reaches the desktop after starting. I'm using CS5 so you can imagine how many programs that is...

FirstDave
29th January 2012, 03:03 PM
Yeh i dont like the sound of sony,s offering much,Now after looking around i could upgrade to Hauppauge capture device for around £150 but the only querie i would have with it is that i have read that you can only edit using the software that comes with it and i,m struggling to find any info on that software. what to do oh what to do.:brickwall

Dave.

Hellfire_WZ
29th January 2012, 04:02 PM
You can edit the video with whatever you like, it's capturing the raw footage that can only be done with the proprietary software.

blackwiggle
30th January 2012, 04:45 AM
As Hellfire said.
As long as the raw video footage is NOT processed into a proprietary format you can use just about anything to edit it.

TBH, unless you are doing cutting edge video manipulation a lot of the abilities of these two programs will be WAY more than you need, for example with ADOBE CS5 versions all are 3D capable, nice, but not needed.

I only know about the problems with these programs because I get begged to build video workstations, for your budding Stanley Kubrick's / Ridley Scott's that attend [N.I.D.A.] the National Institute of Dramatic Art's, which is about 2km away from me.
[Emphasis of the DRAMA :rolleyes: when these "Geniuses" install some extra hacked software that screws the install up and expect me to fix it ]

FirstDave
30th January 2012, 01:20 PM
Yes after more research it doesnt look like you get editing software with the hauppuage and it was reffering to capture,True i dont need full on pro software,I will post a vid so you can see the sort of probs i,m getting or maybe i,m just asking for too much.
when did the final save it was perfect and i have tried saving in various formats and this was the best result,But
text overlay moved slightly out of phase,transitions not running smoothly.lots of interference appeared the music track got louder and the picture quality reduced.2 of the still pictures out of focus.
format divx.avi 720 HD.All of this was fine on before the final save.

http://youtu.be/d8b5MKOb69c

Dave.

blackwiggle
31st January 2012, 04:11 AM
Ok, I just viewed the video.
I got to ask, were ALL these glitches apparent before you uploaded the video to YouTube, or did any of them manifest themselves in the transfer?

From what I noticed it could be several different causes for the glitch's.

Firstly and most likely would be a PC security program switching in and out.
Always turn these off while recording/editing/uploading.

Second, you have been using a wireless connection and have had a mobile phone switched on nearby that caused the interference, always switch your mobile off when capturing video from any source that is using wireless in one form or another.

Also I noticed that you were signed into the PSN while recording at least some of the video, as a friend alert popped up - Tip, always be disconnected from the internet when recording, disengage all auto updates etc if using wireless, all can cause glitches when recording video.

Also highly recommended if not mandatory is for your PS3, capturecard and PC to ALL be running through a surge suppressor power board.
Even then, electrical interference from other electrical appliances in the household [Fridges/washing machines/dryer's/hair dryers/Air conditioning/sewing machines[the worse] switching on/off etc] will cause the glitches seen.
A almost certainty to happen if on the same electrical ring, even with a surge suppressor.

It's just a fact that some peoples electricity supply is worse than other peoples, it's an area thing, nothing you can really do about it.
All types of hash can get into it.

The worse that can happen is that you, or even your neighbours, can run internet over powerlines, this technology should be banned IMHO, it effects other households as well the one using it by basically turning the whole house into a bloody low level radio station.
This gets picked up by cables connecting equipment together, especially audio ones.

Just go through your system bit by bit and see from the list above what you can do to lessen side effects from the sources mentioned.

FirstDave
31st January 2012, 10:35 AM
Thanks Blackwiggle that,s a big heap of usefull information there that i never had a clue about and just about all of it could apply.I did use wifi and at the time did think should i hard wire so i know better now.I,m going to do something else now to see if i can smooth it out a bit.really thank you very much indeed for those tips i would never have picked up on these things.:+

Dave.