PDA

View Full Version : Too Long Loading Times

HISHO[JP]
19th January 2012, 05:13 PM
I'm going to buy 2048 with PS Vita next Saturday or Sunday.

I head a bad news...

Most Japanese fans reported TOO LONG LOADING TIMES as the bad point... :frown:
(Just like the first wipEout(F3600) on PsOne(not Download version))

I heard that the length of loading times are same as demo version.
Just imagine if you have already played demo version of 2048...

Temet
19th January 2012, 07:11 PM
I know... I still don't understand though... with the use of cards instead of discs, I suppose everybody expected very short loading times.
For me, it's really an engineering issue, it shouldn't have been release in this status...

amplificated
19th January 2012, 08:50 PM
Flash cards are actualy renkowned for being really slow. It's only really in the last couple of years with new advances in the technology that they're getting to the speeds they should be offering.

And yes, the load times are very slow; and no software fix (read: frimware or patch) is going to solve the problem.

gmrtom7
19th January 2012, 11:07 PM
Kind of a shame, but at least the game itself looks to be really fun.;)

Cyberio
20th January 2012, 01:06 AM
Hisho, did you play Pulse on his PS2 version? That was really long loading screens, longer than WipEout 1.

If that's the case, for a portable console, when we demand inmediacy, that's a bad point. But still, they won't be the longest loading screens.

By the way, i am playing pure at the moment, are 2048 loading screens longer than this game's ones?

yawnstretch
20th January 2012, 07:31 AM
I've noticed that the vita seems to have a greater focus on security - perhaps some sort of encryption is slowing down the loading times?

Given the rampant piracy on the psp I wouldn't blame them.

JABBERJAW
20th January 2012, 11:15 AM
Around 52 second load on demo, and a 15 second restart load

kaori
20th January 2012, 12:54 PM
It's very long, it will be a pain for the PS3 players if they play a crossplatform game.

MyNameIsBom
20th January 2012, 12:59 PM
i definitely agree with kaori, as i was just sitting there online today waiting for a guy, it took him ages to be ready (was he on dial-up connection?) it eventually loaded after i went and made myself a quick sandwhich, (2 slices of bread, mayo, ham and lettuce) if it continue to be like that, id be really fat from all the sandwhiches i wouldve eaten between each waiting time xD

Temet
20th January 2012, 01:06 PM
OMG, I never thought about that but you 2 are definitely right, this will completely break HD online multiplayer!!!! :frown:

kaori
20th January 2012, 01:25 PM
i definitely agree with kaori, as i was just sitting there online today waiting for a guy, it took him ages to be ready (was he on dial-up connection?) it eventually loaded after i went and made myself a quick sandwhich, (2 slices of bread, mayo, ham and lettuce) if it continue to be like that, id be really fat from all the sandwhiches i wouldve eaten between each waiting time xD

Cross platform isn't ready I think, there is a message on the facebook page of WipEout 2048.

And yes we will be patching the PS3 version
Just to clarify, we will be patching Cross-Play into the PS3 version of HD/Fury

RJ O'Connell
21st January 2012, 02:39 PM
Nearly a minute to load a track? That's getting into pre-patch ModNation Racers territory, and I don't think I have to remind anyone who played it that that's not a good thing at all.

Does this apply to the digital download/PS Store version as well?

MrSmadSmartAlex
21st January 2012, 02:43 PM
From what I've read, the (massively overpriced) memory cards Sony are using are slower than the game cards, so loading times would be even longer. At least until some faster memory cards are available.

RJ O'Connell
21st January 2012, 02:48 PM
Yikes.

I'm not getting the game until the Vita launches domestically, so with any luck they'll have fixed it for the western releases or they'll have made a patch to cut down load times like ModNation for PS3 by then.

Load issues and apparent lack of a racebox(?) aside, this game's looking great. One more month until I get my grimy hands on it!

Cyberio
21st January 2012, 07:09 PM
Around 52 second load on demo, and a 15 second restart load

Wow, the longest then, Pulse PS2 is around 40 sec. There has to be an improvement, or in the crossplatform gaming the people maybe will eventually leave.

Sch@dows
25th January 2012, 09:18 PM
And yes, the load times are very slow; and no software fix (read: frimware or patch) is going to solve the problem.There could be a patch fix if they planned to lower the amount of data to load (ads board with video for example).

I that state, it is way too long compared to Pure/pulse loading times, even from UMD (let's not talk from the memory stick it would be indecent). But we need to wait for a physical game version (not a PSN put on their flash cards). We know thoses games loads faster even if we still don't know if the cause lies in the card itself, the bus architecture, or for security reasons when loading game data from the memory card).

Still, one more reason not to buy recent games on Sony's PSN (almost always more expensive than the prices on amazon, can't be resold to buy another game, need a bigger (and more expensive) memory card ...).

amplificated
25th January 2012, 09:33 PM
I suppose they could include an option to prevent some data being loaded, but that would be a tad ridiculous I think, really. It's possible... but only on games where there are serious complaints would that happen. 2048 is pretty bad, sure, but it could be worse.

Best thing to hope for, as I have said before, is that the Vita's bus speed for game cards is a lot higher than what the common game card can muster, and that 3rd party companies take advantage of that to make better cards than Sony's.

Sony's cards (both memory- and game-) will not change, if for three things: 1) people do enough complaining, 2) the technology becomes sufficiently cheap, and 3) all this is only IF Sony spent the money on (a) faster bus(es) in the first place.

I don't think the difference in loading times between memory cards and game cards is that significant.

Sch@dows
25th January 2012, 09:54 PM
I don't think there will be more than 5-10 seconds differences (until now I think I've only seen comparison on loading times around 20s top) but let's hope so.
However, I do think it is a big problem for WipEout 2048. Racing & Fighting games can't allow long loading times since they are very frequent (changing track/ships, fighter/stage, ...) and 50s is way too long for a portable game which should be focused on short but quick to start event.

Frankly, i've seen the video from sol where the guy stop in front of all those ads bord with video of pilots, team managers, etc. It was funny, but frankly, I won't have time during the game to look at it (if it can shove the loading times you should be able to deactive it from the options).

Game cards are only build by Sony.
Memory Card ... for now only Sony, but I suspect (i'm not the only one) that the choice of that new memory card format is not only for speed and security as it was claimed, but also because they can be the only one allowed to build.
Lot's of companies had MS building license before PSP was out. But I don't know any company who has a license for the new memory card format.

Also, I'm still waiting for a speed test comparison for those cards (even if the transfert must go through the Content Manager) against MS and SD cards class 10 (which are still so much cheaper thant those memory cards).

JABBERJAW
26th January 2012, 12:02 AM
Wipeout one is still far shorter than pulse ps2 or 2048. Also, the reset on wo1 was instant, where on pulse ps2 and 2048 it is still long

Sch@dows
26th January 2012, 02:22 PM
Ok, I didn't understood that the game was already released in japan (though it was still a demo).

Someone seems to have it on psvitagen (french website) on a game card (not the psn version), and here is his loading times on altima :
Initial Loading : 44s
Reload : 15s

EDIT : Does someone knows how long does a HD/Fury track takes to load ? maybe that's just 2048 tracks that are too "ambitious" (i doubt that)

infoxicated
27th January 2012, 08:12 AM
The long loading times in 2048 was one of the take-aways from the PSVita Rooms event, for me - I couldn't believe how long it was taking to load a track from a memory card

I kind of wondered if people were spending a good deal of their time on the console waiting for games to load, and if that was the reason for the queues for the games rather than just because folk were hogging them.

Darkdrium777
27th January 2012, 02:58 PM
HD Fury tracks take like 20 seconds to load max (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex8HTYfnI1E) (Faster than standard drive in video, but the difference is just a few seconds for 5400RPM)
I really don't understand how they can sell such slow technology at such a price and feel good about themselves (They probably don't.)

Sch@dows
27th January 2012, 03:01 PM
I meant how long HD/Fury track takes loading in WipEout 2048 (I understood those tracks were included).

amplificated
27th January 2012, 03:48 PM
As xplay is not implemented yet, only SL know pretty much at this point.

mic-dk
27th January 2012, 04:17 PM
I kind of wondered if people were spending a good deal of their time on the console waiting for games to load, and if that was the reason for the queues for the games rather than just because folk were hogging them.

:lol

44 seconds? Seriously?

infoxicated
27th January 2012, 09:24 PM
:lol

44 seconds? Seriously?
Round it up to a minute, maybe even a minute and a half as each person chose a track and a ship. Multiply that by 20 people in the queue and you have 30 mins where folk weren't actually playing anything.

I forgot that on the night, Karl Jones told me the code that was running on the demo Vita's was months old. So maybe it's improved.

Darkdrium777
27th January 2012, 09:36 PM
Doubt it, if people on the MEDIAGEN sites are talking about it it means they've imported too. The 44s time comes from there.

JABBERJAW
27th January 2012, 09:55 PM
the restart is much faster, not as fast as it should be though. 15 seconds. I'll take the time if they fix the other things though.

Sch@dows
30th January 2012, 09:49 AM
As xplay is not implemented yet, only SL know pretty much at this point.
Wait! HD/fury tracks aren't available on the game card ?

... Karl Jones told me the code that was running on the demo Vita's was months old. So maybe it's improved.The game has already been released and those times comes from it.

the restart is much faster, not as fast as it should be though. 15 seconds.
Still, 15s "just" to restart the same event is quite a lot, most of all when you're trying to break a record or win a challenge and have to restart quite often.

Temet
30th January 2012, 09:59 AM
Trust me, once you played 2048 tracks at 2048 speed with 2048 physics, you'll never want to play HD tracks at HD speed with HD physics again :g

Sch@dows
30th January 2012, 10:06 AM
Let's hope so ^__^
But that was in order to compare loading time on same tracks (thinking 2048 tracks were maybe "over-detailed")

Mad-Ice
30th January 2012, 02:54 PM
Let's not forget the tracks from 2048 are two to three times as long as HD/FURY tracks. Just compare the laptimes between the two games on the fastest speedclass and you will see! On top of that the enviroment is bigger too.

Sch@dows
30th January 2012, 04:06 PM
Indeed, but it was the source of such long loading times, that would be a misconception right from the start of development of the console/game.

There is no need for a console/game where you can display so much data but have to wait an eternity to load.

Asayyeah
30th January 2012, 07:03 PM
loading time can be horrendous if it's only a bar which is filled in between 35 sec to 50 sec but you can check few things while the loading : your best score, a look at your ship and the top ten ranking. Ok it's not that mega dynamic but that's better than anything.

Sch@dows
30th January 2012, 07:54 PM
or you can look at ads n__n

I understand, but checking rankings too less times, and looking at a 3D model is ok at the begining but when you already knows it too well ...

I'm only disappointed because the game looks so great eventually (wasn't sure what to expect when it was annonced).

Asayyeah
30th January 2012, 08:24 PM
:g don't give bad idea to sony adding ads ala HD fury :D

I must reckon we were 4 around the Vita, we didn't pay attention to the loading time because of so many commentaries about the game and our feelings but after a while and alone, you right, it can be a bit long~ish.

I was a bit sceptical about gameplay from the demo at PGW : apart from the tracks and sceneries i found gameplay pretty similar to HD (negative point to me).
Now i feel much more confident after playing the jap release : gameplay is different. Funnily enough i dunno if it's due to type of physics of general gameplay or the more noticeable differences way of handling from ships or both. Anyway the result is fantastic, i am looking forward to have my own at feb 22 !

love9sick
1st February 2012, 12:26 AM
Yea, the load times in this game are the pits. I got to try at the Chicago Vita cafe promotion location and they are around half a minute long. People posting vids on youtube have to cut over the load time cause they are that long.

HISHO[JP]
15th February 2012, 05:18 PM
http://www.justpushstart.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/2012-02-14-134702.jpg

I heard that a patch was released to fix the load times and other bugs.

...But it`s NOT availavle for JP version.

When will this "BETA TEST" be over???:brickwall

kaori
15th February 2012, 05:26 PM
I would love being part in this "Beta Test" :brickwall
7 days...
The 1.01 patch will be available very soon for you I suppose. In Europe, we are waiting the GT5 update that japaneses have already, a little difference of one day.

I think the cross play will be included too for japanese version of 2048, while it's already included in the US/Euro gamecards.

Vorpal-Knife
18th February 2012, 05:56 PM
finally, I can Post!
Hey, I still can't believe peoples attitude towards it, Bearing in mind Pure and Pulse was at best 12 sided boxes for the crafts and around 900 polys for the rest of the scene.

2048 is rendering more poly's then my PC ever will, To the point when, initial I thought 2048 was another Wipeout for the PS3!

I still don't give a dam about the loading times, I'm not going to be able to sleep this tuesday :cowboy

Darkdrium777
18th February 2012, 06:50 PM
So because it's rendering more, **** optimization?
No, that's not how it works. If a dev tries to make it work like that, they get told that it's unacceptable.
The game might throw more triangles into your retinas, but the hardware is supposed to handle displaying this geometry at at least 30FPS VSynced, and the software should be optimized to manage that feat in the fastest way possible.
How much of the current atrocious loading times is due to SL's work (or lack of to remain in launch title parameters) and how much is due to Sony's poor choices in the technology used for the Vita remains to be seen.
I'm really hoping they can patch this up so it becomes a Vita technical miracle, just like HD Fury still is to this day for the PS3. Hopefully these situations are all due to a lack of time to fully complete the game before launch.

Sch@dows
18th February 2012, 11:31 PM
it doesn't matter how beautiful the game is if you have to wait 45-50s every new track (and 15s just to restart).

Did someone has tested the update which should lower the loading times ?

TheFrostE
19th February 2012, 03:29 PM
im not sure what it was beofre the update since i got the NTSC first edition release...which came with the update on 2048. but the load times definetely are not 50 seconds now...more like 30 or so. They have stated that further support for the game will add DLC along with more optimization, so hopefully it can load even faster.