PDA

View Full Version : top 3/5/10/whatever list of the most frustrating games u ever played

JFthebestJan
3rd October 2011, 07:54 PM
we already have a thread for the top games we ever played, but i couldn't find one about the most frustrating / annoying ones.
so, here we go.

1. Virtua Striker 2 ver.2000.1 - Dreamcast
this is my absolute most hated game, but i still play it from time to time. paradox, isn't it :D the AI is absolut unforgiving, and if the game decides that u can't win, u CAN'T win, no matter how good u are. i guess it's because of it's arcade origins. from time to time my friends and i start a tournament, everyone chooses his favorite team and we start, BUT we almost never finish the tourney, cause the one who loses get so upset, that he RAGE-quit, lol. i lost about 10 pads or something, because i had to destroy something. GRRR.... i guess it's a hate-love relationship between me and the game. :)

2. Motorstorm / Motorstorm: Pacific Rift - PS3
i WANT to platinum pacific, only reason i play it! absoluty NO FUN!
ARGHH nothing more to say here

3. Street Fighter II - SNES
this game is the only one that suceeded in making me so angry that i destroyed it, haha. i DON'T regret it, can u hear me M. Bison? I DON'T REGRET IT!!!!!

Darkdrium777
3rd October 2011, 08:33 PM
qwop.

trackripper
3rd October 2011, 08:43 PM
1. Ace Combat X: Skies of Deception
Yes, its a darn good game, but some missions, especially on Ace mode, just piss me off. 1 missile hit and your down? With the most ridiculous restrictions on movement ever? Damn. Why?

2. Race Driver GRID
This may just be me being an imbecile, but again, awesome game. The Le Mans 24 hour race I have a problem with however. 12 minutes, and EVERY SINGLE TIME SOMETHING GOES WRONG IN THE LAST FEW LAPS. Worst bit? You've used all your flashbacks for some minor losses of control earlier on.

3. Midnight Club 3 DUB Edition
This game, my only major gripe about it is the AI. I mean, it gets so ridiculously hard at the end, I once had to restart a race 56 times (Yes, I counted) because of AI passing me because I deviated from the ideal route a tiny bit. You really need to nail EVERY SINGLE TURN, it is so unforgiving. The loading times when you have to restart don't help matters any.

mdhay
3rd October 2011, 08:56 PM
qwop.

+1.

Although I'd add Oblivion/ Fallout 3/ New Vegas, simply because Gamebryo is a stone-age piece of **** that doesn't want to work under any circumstance. So glad that Skyrim isn't using it.

stin
3rd October 2011, 08:59 PM
ARGHH nothing more to say here.

Which one? (you stuck on?), I know that the hardest game I ever played and got plat!:rock

stevie:)

nismology
3rd October 2011, 09:59 PM
Flatout Head-On (Flatout 2)
The game that drove me to break my PSP :P Luckily a new LCD was only £15! It's so frustrating because of the rubber band AI. You can build up a huge lead, and one of the AI drivers just waltzes past you!

Can't think of any others that I've played, apart from 'I Wanna Be the Guy', which is supposed to be unfair and frustrating. It's a freeware PC game, check it out.

Qwop is just funny :P

Colonel
4th October 2011, 01:59 PM
ARGHH nothing more to say here

Haha, I've noticed you playing that loads recently, didn't realise it was driving you mad :g

Challenger #001
4th October 2011, 04:26 PM
Race Driver Grid was more frustrating for the Ravenwest matches if I'm honest.

3) Uncharted - Drake's Fortune: Dodgy platforming, irritating shooting and a crazy difficulty level at times. I haven't got past Chapter 6 and I don't think I ever will.

2) L.A. Noire: Gah! I knew he was lying! But it's the last interview and if I want to do it again I have to restart the whole case... *cries*

1) Angry Birds Rio: There's always one sodding pig left. And no, you can't skip ahead to another chapter if you get bored. Because this one's supposed to have plot. *throws iPhone out window*

FirstDave
4th October 2011, 04:29 PM
Most frustrating ! Wipeout HD for me.:|

Dave.

Rennfisch
4th October 2011, 04:59 PM
my most frustrating games were:

1.: Settlers V
Stupid gameplay at all.

2.: Settlers II - next generation
Nice graphic but stupid warfare.

I'm a real fan of Settlers III + IV but the sequels .... :blarg

3.: Empire Earth
The AI was very hard to beat.

Avenger2197
4th October 2011, 06:31 PM
My 3 would have to be this:

1. Demon Souls. Very hard to get into. I started to lose interest after awhile due to no clear cut path to take. A little too confined in an open world type experience.

2. Midnight Club LA. Ai was stupid, boring and the constant banter was enough to turn me off right there. Not to mention very frustrating progression curve as you have too many vehicles available and not enough cash. Handling stunk worse than Juiced 2 as well

3. Armored Core: Last Raven. Now i love Armored Core. I do, but this one was totally fubar as you were expected to completely have every part available to you from Nexus. If you didn't you were SOL. There is also a question of the story they tried to do but they never capitalize on the story to drive it.

JFthebestJan
4th October 2011, 07:08 PM
I'm a real fan of Settlers III + IV but the sequels ....

i love siedler III. i can remember me playing skirmish mode with the romans on the biggest available map vs 3 AI on hardest difficulty settings. at the end of this particular skirmish game i had an army with about 5000+ units :) that made the game to slow down so enormously, that i had to abandon lol. was unplayable, my pc was not bad!

@ stin:
i was able to complete motorstorm 1 once, and i never touched it again since.
pacific campaign is an absolutly pain in the ass. the time attack mode is relatively easy in comparison, but online is like playing vs GODS. im always thinking every opponent is cheating like hell (infinite boost, and BS like that). still on veteran level and for gods sake i can't get up the last two levels i need for the 'legend' trophy.
ARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH

mdhay
4th October 2011, 08:35 PM
...3. Armored Core: Last Raven. Now i love Armored Core. I do, but this one was totally fubar as you were expected to completely have every part available to you from Nexus. If you didn't you were SOL...

Have you met Answerer recently? It flies. It's an Arms Fort. I need Jehuty to even go near the damn thing. :cold

MiguelSkywalker
4th October 2011, 09:53 PM
@mdhay- That was a tough one, you need a good generator/booster combination to be able to stay in the air all the time and use no EN weapons to take it down. There's a place where missiles don't hit you and you can bomb those "wings" safely. Grenade launchers were my choice.

1- AC is truly one of the most frustrating series I can remember.
2- Street Fighter IV playing online, just when you think you're good, someone kicks your ass badly... with Dan.
3- Battlefield 2 (online), actually because it is not my thing. Thanks to snipers I can't get even close to the action.

Avenger2197
5th October 2011, 02:22 AM
Have you met Answerer recently? It flies. It's an Arms Fort. I need Jehuty to even go near the damn thing. :cold

Yes as a matter of fact, but I found only a couple of those missions to be totally frustrating. Not the WHOLE GAME. To me, Armored Core could have ended at Silent Line and I would have been a happy camper. Although if another were to come out(unlikely), I would give AC another shot. ;)

mdhay
5th October 2011, 12:17 PM
There is. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9g1Ilrp4g0)

Rennfisch
5th October 2011, 05:11 PM
@ JF: That happened to me many times with my old PC :frown:. Man finally pulls into the war only if we can win it ;). That e.g. the reason why I don't like Settlers V. I cannot run my enemies into confusion with max 200 men (including civilians) .

Flint Fandango
5th October 2011, 05:32 PM
Yeah, this thread was absolutely essential!

Here´s my "Top :twisted 3" list:

1.] NES - Double Dragon III
Man, this game so hard and on top of that it´s not even worth worrying about, because the ending sequences are rubbish.
Well, ask an expert -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMg6_IXCjo4

2.] NES - Battle Toads
Frustrating hard - on all platforms. :bomb

3.] NES - Silver Surfer
There´s simply no chance to finish this piece of crap, because everything in this game is deadly for your protagonist.

If you might receive the impression that I really hate the NES...yes, that´s the plain truth.

MiguelSkywalker
6th October 2011, 06:32 PM
There is. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9g1Ilrp4g0)

He he he, now we're talking!:rock

JFthebestJan
8th October 2011, 05:55 PM
hey stin, i really need tips from u (pacific rift).
how on earth is it possible to boost without interuption? it seems that the first three / four players (rank 5) always boosting without letting go their fingers from pushing the boost button, hmm. impossible to win, cause i have to cool down my boost, otherwise my vehicle explodes. i really, really hate this game, i almost destroyed my pad today.

stin
8th October 2011, 07:50 PM
You know, your guess is good as mine even in Calderidge which I love this track with big rig but I do prefer bike. and yet I struggled to beat them!:frown:

My advice to you is, just trust to yourself and you will get there. If for ranking points, try to stay under top four every race, no matter what!:|
That`s how I got my plat.

Now I`m reaching 75% on Apocalypse atm.:)

Just add my psn ;)

stevie:)

JFthebestJan
8th October 2011, 10:45 PM
1.pic: swamp
2.pic: new way of speedrunning :D

Darkdrium777
9th October 2011, 01:33 AM
2.] NES - Battle Toads
Frustrating hard - on all platforms.Lawl. The first level is a trap to lure you in. I hate the second level xD

MiguelSkywalker
9th October 2011, 11:57 AM
I think we should add Megaman NES series in here, Nes controllers were sturdy for a reason.

billychanxtr33m
11th October 2011, 04:15 PM
in no particular order

EARTHBOUND: which is fresh in my mind because I recently played through it. enemies that dodge your attacks and critical hit you frequently. tiny and awkward to use inventory system where you lug around half your key items so you don't have to backtrack. if somebody in your party dies, you have to walk all the way to a hospital and then walk all the way back to the dungeon you were in. you have to scroll through a mountain of text whenever you save. most enemies can put status effects on you. strange scrolling health bar system where you have to rush to finish a battle before one of your characters dies... this is balanced by letting enemies insta-kill you with ease... which sometimes forces you into auto-fighting because the computer doesn't have to waste time scrolling through menus to attack and heal. all this against the backdrop of the light hearted and silly game world. gameplay wise, i don't think earthbound could have been less fun if they tried.

EXTREME G 3: bikes that can't handle the courses+ shield that is also your boost energy. this while trying to pass every bike on the field where the AI constantly throws mines at you, mines which are impossible to see. for the love of god play eg4 instead, its a lot easier but will make you feel good about yourself. its even funny sometimes.

PHANTOM BRAVE: the most bizarre and obtuse character/item leveling system ever devised by man probably. a 360 movement range on units that always leaves you an inch too short from where you need to be. also, sometimes you get super slidey terrain that makes unit positioning damn near impossible. no teh fun.

JFthebestJan
12th October 2011, 01:04 PM
i played a few SNES sessions recently, and found a game i must add to my list.
4. Starwing / Starfox - SNES
one of the few games on the SNES i wasn't able to complete. i never defeated andross. and the only way im able to advance to the last boss battle, is taking the 'easy' route. this is a really 'HARD' game.

btw. 'Super Soccer - SNES' anyone? defeated the 'Nintendo-Team' with GER / ITA / IRL. all other teams aren't good enough in defense (especially goalkeeper).

amplificated
13th October 2011, 04:57 AM
The main most frustrating game for me is WipEout HD. I don't think there is any other game out there I have let frustrate me as much, probably ever.

Autechom
13th October 2011, 09:35 AM
Yeah, this thread was absolutely essential!

Here´s my "Top :twisted 3" list:

If you might receive the impression that I really hate the NES...yes, that´s the plain truth.

Hehe, every played Captain Planet? Unbelieveable how much I tried as a child. Of course never beat the game though I was a big Captain Planet fan. Not as hard as Battletoads but hard enough. I had Double Dragon3 on GameBoy. Part 2 was so good and then that...unplayable,really!

Flint Fandango
13th October 2011, 05:18 PM
@Darkdrium777: Lol, good one!

@Autechom: Thanks, how could I forget that damn game...I´ve spent 25 Euro for CP back in the days...
A very frustrating game indeed, but I finished it - thanks to the useful GameGenie! ;) The ultimate weapon.
Don´t worry, the ending sequence was crappy anyway, NES-style.

P_Denton
13th October 2011, 09:45 PM
The mod Portal : Prelude comes to mind. I'm not usually one to attack fanworks, that the guys do for free on their free times and all that stuff, but I just can't understand all the hype.
It felt a bit like if the game was trying to do its best at being frustrating under the guise of being for "hardcore gamers". Dunno maybe I'm just a sorry noob but I never thought that hardcore meant "uselessly frustrating". The puzzles were never hard to solve but actually apply those solution in practice was just nightmarish. Last official testing room, I'm looking at you (WHY DID YOU HAVE TO MAKE THE CEILING SO LOW ****WIT ?) Some jumps are barely feasible, even using crouch jumping, impromptu timed sequences where you NEED to die once to get it just kills me. Especially when some triggers aren't visible.
At first I thought "okay, maybe it's part of me just being extremely noobish and unlucky there, let's redo it with the dev comments".
And there I realized the guy intended it to be frustrating. And called that fun.
"Yeah, here I juts used a game design element called bounce (or whatever) where the player has to focus on a secondary objective for a moment and blablabla"
->that's supposed to be an excuse for annoying useless backtracking ?
"I lowered the ceiling/added a (timed) death trap just to laugh at people failing"
->...
"Manhacks are just here for the atmosphere, they don't deal significant damage"
->significant enough to get me killed in a single ripple instead of 2

Well now I wish I had cheated earlier than the last boss fight^^
[/end of rant]

That's not to say it's all bad. There are some good sections sometimes and the quality overall is good. But it really feels like it wasn't worth my efforts^^

If you're looking for a good portal mod, Portal Pro is the best imo :)