PDA

View Full Version : Dlc

DarkRacer95
28th August 2011, 11:16 PM
I know that the first 5 wipeout teams will be included in the game, but does anyone find it funny that a team that was non-existing at the time of this game is in it? That could mean that the other 7 teams could be in development right now for DLC, but then that means they would have to create 28 new ships. Then it would take a longer time to get used to one ship.

And since the game takes place in one big city, what if SL made another city with 10 other tracks?

Blaey
29th August 2011, 12:28 AM
whats the team that wasnt in existance at the time?

The teams are:

Feisar, AG Systems, Auricom, Qirex and Pir-hana

Assuming Pir-hana is a prototype or they're messing about with the timeline by a few years then I dont see the problem. Wouldnt mind seeing the ships from the original wipeout (2052) as prototypes though.

Would be nice to see them realised in HD :)

What I do find strange is the fact that the qirex and auricom seem to already be adapting from the typical triangle shaped racer even though it's set before 2052 and thus would mean both teams went backwards in their design...

DarkRacer95
29th August 2011, 12:32 AM
Piranha came as a prototype during 2097. before it was just a parts company for Ag-Systems and Auricom. But they are messing with the timeline because the weapons look like HD's weapons and it features Mag-Strips.

Blaey
29th August 2011, 12:38 AM
They could be attempting a reboot of the series of sorts.
So maybe removing the original wipeout from the canon and going from 2097 onwards. This would make sense considering what we know about 2048 already...

However alot of the timeline changing decisions could simply be because of game balancing issues like the mag strips being a good excuse for having ships being able to do crazy rollercoaster style moves and weapons being the same as they are in HD to save programming. However I would like to see the return of the electro bolt rather than plasma

Reckon the Pir-hana would still be weapons-free?

DarkRacer95
29th August 2011, 12:44 AM
idk maybe your right. But it would be real cool to see a new city. Any ideas?

Blaey
29th August 2011, 12:54 AM
I'd prefer to see a wipeout game that spanned the timeframe of all the ps1 wipeout games personally.

after you've done city too much it gets a bit stale. Offroad wipeout could be an option but that never really worked in fusion :i

I hope they release some of the Wipeout 2052/2097 tracks as DLC (unless they're already in the game) and lets also hope they include the 2052 skins for the new ship designs :D

RJ O'Connell
30th August 2011, 12:42 PM
I'm in favor of it. As long as Sony can keep their word that even if the game sells six copies in America and four in Canada, that all of the extra content will be on the NA Playstation Store.

mdhay
30th August 2011, 03:34 PM
If they already have DLC planned, then I am distgusted.

UB3R~JKP
30th August 2011, 04:07 PM
If the DLC will be cheap cash-ins they could already implement in the game I will be royally pissed off.

amplificated
30th August 2011, 04:51 PM
having a plan for the future disgusts you, mdhay? you'd rather SL just have figured they'd have finished 2048 and said "awesome, we're done. nothing more to see here"?

Blaey
30th August 2011, 06:40 PM
tbh I want dlc in line with what pure had at launch.

Several free dlc packs with new ships and plenty of new tracks? yes please

mdhay
30th August 2011, 09:53 PM
There's very little chance of that happening. If they do it for free, they lose out on the cash they like to say they need, if they charge us for launch DLC, they're gouging and holding back what could've been in the game on us so that they can commit said gouging.

Blaey
30th August 2011, 10:35 PM
There's very little chance of that happening. If they do it for free, they lose out on the cash they like to say they need, if they charge us for launch DLC, they're gouging and holding back what could've been in the game on us so that they can commit said gouging.

Yeah but they could just release it free with branded advertising like red bull or puma (something that makes sense for futuristic racing or something they've used before)

I would prefer that, over super expensive track/ship packs any day.

However, I would most definitely pay studio liverpool for map packs if it kept them in business :)

Pez88
31st August 2011, 05:50 AM
I'm fine with paid dlc, though I would much rather prefer free dlc like Pure had.

I just hope there isn't day one dlc. It makes me feel like I'm paying for something that should have been in the game to start with.

mdhay
31st August 2011, 09:56 AM
Yeah but they could just release it free with branded advertising like red bull or puma (something that makes sense for futuristic racing or something they've used before)

I would prefer that over super expensive track/ship packs any day.

However, I would most definitely pay studio liverpool for map packs if it kept them in business :)

They wouldn't do that. If they did, you'd still be paying for the DLC. Look at Skyrim, DLC's already been planned (and on that note, I'd wait for the GoTY if DLC's your priority). Sony keeps them in business, Blaey. They could pull a very moronic move and shut it down and not make any more games, if they could increase their profit margins.

Also, there's no need to quote my post when you've posted straight after like that, it's easier on your part to not do it.

Blaey
31st August 2011, 11:49 AM
fair enough. i'm all for dlc if its; free + released atleast a month after the game

yes but at the end of the say sony will be looking at the profit margin that studio liverpool are getting and if we're not buying their games/dlc then they'll axe wipeout...

mdhay
31st August 2011, 01:05 PM
And that's never a good thing. The industry is saturated with cookie-cutter FPS games and that's what people are buying, niche markets only do well with large sale numbers, which is why wipEout looks inferior to the likes of CoD and it's rehashed ilk, in terms of number of units sold. Yeah, there are people who love it, but there's too many people out there happily making this happen to the industry.

Blaey
31st August 2011, 06:02 PM
you're preaching to the choir man. :rock

could not agree with you more and it's sad that sony is slowly becoming more shooter oriented because thats where the most sales are. I remember the ps1 being choccablocka with racing titles more than shooters :)

I just hope that they continue wipeout, gt and motorstorm as their 3 main racing franchises and give them alot of support in the future.

mdhay
31st August 2011, 07:36 PM
Judging with how the franchises have sold, they will more than likely keep going with them, either until the industry dies, or they do.

having a plan for the future disgusts you, mdhay? you'd rather SL just have figured they'd have finished 2048 and said "awesome, we're done. nothing more to see here"?

Already said this, but I didn't see your post, and I'm not one to forgo a response to a question.

A plan for the future is looking at the sales in six months and then making DLC, not waiting for a third of that and adding essentially nothing for an extortionate price tag; otherwise known as holding back what could've been in the game, gouging money from the customer. Similar methods with pre-order content. I'll give you an example.

Fallout: New Vegas, soon after the release of Lonesome road, will be bringing out two small micro - DLC's (http://www.bethblog.com/index.php/2011/08/25/lonesome-road-coming-september-20th-couriers-stash-and-gun-runners-arsenal-one-week-later/); the first, priced at $2 (US), will give the player ALL of the pre - order content. The second, for $4, will add a bunch of new weapons, mods, recipes etc. This is a prime example of developers holding back from the customer (to a lesser extent with the second micro-DLC, the weapons are old fan favourites from Fallout and Fallout 2, and the Bozar's in there, so it's not so bad)

Here's another thing: Activision/ IW has DLC planned for Modern Warfare 3 (http://www.devicemag.com/2011/08/09/new-images-and-details-for-turtle-beachs-modern-warfare-3-headsets-comes-with-dlc/), with eyeware (branded sunglasses for $100 coming with DLC and Turtle Beach headsets further down the line, who would wear CoD eyewear?). They are also getting Kanye West involved with the franchise, bringing him along to this CoD Expo. Anyone could tell you he has nothing to do with it, so why is he there? Endorsements. Instead of being a games developer, they're treating us like cows; they're trying to milk us, guys.

Hopefully, anyone who reads this will see my point now.

Boycey83
1st September 2011, 09:29 PM
Not to get too far off topic, but that NV DLC sounds well worth $4, which is what, the price of a pint?

"Among the unqiue weapons added are the Bozar, an all-powerful 5.56mm Light Machine Gun, the Smitty Special, an overwhelming variant of the Plasma Caster, the MFC Cluster mine, the Esther, a unique Mini Nuke Launcher, and the ridiculous Nuka Breaker – a new melee weapon made from a Nuka-Cola neon sign. In total Gun Runners’ Arsenal adds 27 new weapons, 40 new weapon modifications for existing weapons, 18 new new recipes, and 29 new ammo types — including the 12 Ga. Dragon’s Breath, Hive Missiles, and 25mm/40mm Plasma Grenades. Finally, Gun Runners’ Arsenal also adds more than 20 all-new challenges to the Mojave Wasteland."

Sounds like DLC done right to me.

RJ O'Connell
1st September 2011, 10:13 PM
Pure's DLC came before this thing called the Playstation Store so any free DLC is unlikely.

HD Fury was a great example of a true expansion pack, like PC games of old. I'd love to see that model come back with 2048.

mdhay
1st September 2011, 11:13 PM
...Sounds like DLC done right to me.

It is, but you're missing my point; they could've put all of this in the first DLC's which had little in terms of decent weaponry. Plus, my point was the previous Micro DLC, the one you referred to just happened to be there.

Blaey
2nd September 2011, 01:12 AM
i dont mind if there's some dlc/patches released around the same time as the european/american psvita launch because that would suggest that studio liverpool could work on the game right up to the wire for the japanese release rather than say it's done and then leave things out or dont develop it enough.

An expansion pack along the lines of fury (possibly new 2052 campaign or even ag ship testing from before 2048 with belmondo) would be the perfect dlc to me :)

mdhay
3rd September 2011, 12:02 AM
Studio Liverpool will develop it enough, the last proper bug I remember was in 2097, where you can't get a shield on the first track, not that you need it early on, really.