PDA

View Full Version : WipEout 3 SE on PS2 - problem.

MaxiM
25th June 2011, 10:46 AM
So finally I've got my hands on the original classic. It works OK on PS3 Slim, but for some reason the same can't be said about PS2 Slim. There are two gamebreaking problems: the game doesn't see the memory cards and there's a huge lag in controls, making it virtually unplayable.

Did anyone encountered these problems as well? maybe you've found a workaround? The reason I'd like to play this game on PS2 rather than PS3 is simple: I find PS2 controller to be more suitable for WO3 and the game runs MUCH smoother on PS2 - I think it reaches the max framerate, while on PS3 it runs at around 35 tops.

Any ideas? :blarg

Medusa
25th June 2011, 07:18 PM
I don't know...I run mine on PS2 but it's the fat old pretty blue version. Never had any trouble with it whatsoever. Any chance you could try it out on someone's fat PS2? Maybe a dodgy memory card? I never had any lag in controls (using NeGcon or regular Sony DS2).

MaxiM
25th June 2011, 10:37 PM
I'm using only the original Sony mem cards, so I don't believe that would be a problem. I tried inserting one card, two cards, switching them between slots etc - nothing worked.

As for the input lag I figured it out. The lag was coming from the same source that the uber smoothness did - from my TV's image processing. I have turned on Game Mode for the component cable input and that helped. I have no idea why I forgot to set it in the first place. Now the game is not as smooth but it's also lag free. although it still feels funny because I got used to how it worked on my PC via emulation. Funny thing is, I only noticed that lag in WO3. That's the first game I played on this console that made this so apparent :D

Memory card problem is still making the game unplayable on PS2 though. I wish I could test in on any other PS2 model, but none of my friends have one. I guess I'll just play it on PS3 then, which is a shame, because PS3's emulation makes WO3's volume level pretty low.

Medusa
26th June 2011, 05:13 PM
Any chance you could pick up a brand new memory card? Just for interest's sake-if that's definitely where the problem is, then...
the big thing is, not only can you use your PS2, you can use a NeGcon if you get one. And that is pure :rock

MaxiM
27th June 2011, 10:58 PM
Don't think I'm gonna invest in more memcards. Those two Sony's I've got are perfectly fine - at least in any games but WO3:SE :|

Tomahawk
28th June 2011, 10:13 AM
What kind of memory cards do you use? Are they the PS2 memory cards or the PS1 memory cards (which fit into the PS2 slot without problems)? I too am playing 3SE on my PS2 without having any problems, but I have to use PS1 memory cards. The game does not recognize any PS2 memory cards at all.

JABBERJAW
2nd July 2011, 01:54 PM
Do you have a LCD? That would cause your lag issue, ps1 games run far better on tube tvs

MaxiM
5th July 2011, 07:20 PM
@JABBERJAW: Yeah, I've fixed the lag problem by tuwning on game mode. I don't know why I haven't did that in the first place.

@Tomahawk: Hah! That's exactly what I was suspecting. I guess it's time to scavenge for some PS1 memcards on eBay. Anyone willing to sell one? 8)

Velocitar64
6th September 2011, 03:43 PM
Depending on where you are you can go to just about any game shop that does retro-gaming stuff and they'll have an old unboxed memory card you can take for a tiny bit of cash. Otherwise, you can get them on Amazon real cheap. Glad your other issues are sorted.