PDA

View Full Version : Mag Strips - patent pending

ben10
22nd June 2011, 09:49 PM
(from an old Wipeout Fusion forum post...)

posted 27-03-2002 10:12 AM
phantom_menace:
...My idea to fuse the old style with the new track ideas is this:

Why not introduce the notion of special 'force field' track sections that forces the AG ship to follow a set rigid height above the track (as with Fusion), thereby enforcing the roller coaster motion for some areas only i.e. corkscrews, loops and some vertical drops. The upside down 'gravity flip' sections would be posible on Earth then! This logic would almost make physical sense and be more believable! The force field track sections could be specially marked or colour coded to signify their effect. Once the AG ship had left the 'surface hugging' zones then it could return to its normal flying mode with full vertical freedom and inertia on the rest of the track and freeform areas.

What do you all think. Any Comments Zone?

posted 27-03-2002 11:35 AM
zone: (Rob Francis, Studio Liverpool)

That was the orginal intention and there were early versions of the game that worked like that - and it played really nicely. Essentially the ship had a level of attraction to the track surface, but on bumps etc, the ship could lift off and go into a flying state like on a jump.

Pulling back on the stick also lifted the ship off the track slightly raising the the chances of lift off.

It was compromised due to some technical restrictions.

posted 27-03-2002 11:56 AM
Dogg Thang:
I really like that idea! I loved the old feeling of flying better, but I do think the twists and flips add something new so, as long as they were used sparingly, I think specific force track sections would be great.

Wow - sounds like that genius, phantom_menace, invented:
Wipeout mag-strips!
(sorry;))

Sausehuhn
23rd June 2011, 10:55 AM
It was compromised due to some technical restrictions.

May I cry out loud? :|

Medusa
26th June 2011, 05:24 PM
Yeah. :weep