PDA

View Full Version : The real Future of Wipeout

Levi
14th February 2011, 04:30 AM
Hi all
Question for all that read this, if you could play wipeout as a real world racing game, along the lines of slot car racing games, would you?

Cipher
15th February 2011, 05:23 PM
You keep respawning in multi user play... so yeah :D
If that aint allowed, i wouldn't.. unless.... there's no weapons :)

Greetz Apple-Guy

Darkdrium777
16th February 2011, 12:50 AM
Greetz Apple-GuyYou are on Gearbox too, right? (http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/member.php?u=48167)

Sorry about that Levi, just making a note of how small the world is. ;)

If antigravity racing ever existed, I'd try to participate if I could. Of course, if there's safety and all too.

Cipher
16th February 2011, 05:42 AM
LOL, HOW!? xD yes, that's me alright ^^

Lolz i foooouuuuuuund yaaaa =P (http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/member.php?u=25250)

Anywho OT; I think such kind of racing might become available in the future... if my weird ideas can be realized, you should be able to make an AG ship just like one of those on a special designed track.... :) (ship needs some tweaks though)

Greetz Apple-Guy

Levi
18th February 2011, 02:17 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, so i just got the chasis for the testing ship back from the manufacturer, which means that this is one step closer to a reality, here's the basic concept, the game would have two steerable ships, maybe more, that would race around a track, no there wouldn't be any weapons, at least not physical ones, it may be possible to produce a controllable field that could push other ships out of the way, these ships would be floating above the ground, just like in wipeout and there would be pads along the track that would allow powerboosts to propel the ships along the track, if you didnt reach tyhe pads on time you would run out of momentum and game over, im going to keep this forum informed of how the testing is going, and after seeing some of the designs on here it would be nice if you guys could design the ships and tracks, the ships will be prototyped so they are manufactured as real ships, to scale obviously, i admit life size ones would be very cool to watch racing around a track, but cost and weight constraints limit that.
I should know in the next week if this is going to work, and if it does then we could actually see a wipeout game that isnt limited to a TV screen.
Levi

Cipher
18th February 2011, 07:19 PM
I'm very interested on how you're going to get this to work =D

As for the ships.... i'm not good at maya, but might give it a try

Greetz Apple-Guy

Levi
18th February 2011, 10:17 PM
cipher
all i would need is a side top and front view of your designs, i use rhino to model them, which makes converting them to .STL files much easier, of course if you could model them it would save time, but remember they are going to a prototyping company to be turned into real objects, as i said tho let me get the float test done then its full steam ahead.

Cipher
19th February 2011, 03:17 AM
Wohow xD i'm not THAT good in designing on comp :P, instead i'd make it with pencil and paper :P, much more control over everything, though haven't got much time with college, so it might take a while =/

Greetz Apple-Guy

Levi
19th February 2011, 02:22 PM
Cipher
dont worry time isnt an issue at the moment, as i said theres a way to go before the ships have to be made, and obviously your college stuff must come first, the pencil drawings will work fine, from a side and front view should be able to model something pretty awesome, once i have done the next test, i will send you a video of it floating, now all i need are another couple of artists and a track designer :)

Nutcase:259
19th February 2011, 03:43 PM
this sounds insane! :D

definitely interested in this :+

would prodesktop be any good for models? can do 3rd angle orthographic drawings if that would help? :)

Levi
19th February 2011, 06:01 PM
Nutcase
as long as you can save the file as a .stl file, this is the file format used for stereolithography.

21st February 2011, 08:37 PM
ok cool. im wondering as ive never used stereolithography would the models need to have specific dimensions or could you resize afterwards? And is there a limit to how detailed a model can be?

Levi
22nd February 2011, 05:50 AM
hi Nutcase
ok so heres the plan, this coming friday I will be ordering the materials for the most important test, this is the one that will confirm the possibility of this becoming a reality, after that test which should be complete by the following tuesday or wednesday, we'll know whether this is going to be the most amazing game ever or that i should have listened more carefully in physics class, that said, there will be dimension limitations, the chasis i had made was 25cm long 20cm wide and 13cm high, this actually surprised me as to how big it is in reality, so those will be your dimensions, as far as detail goes, well, remember these ships will be traveling(hopefully) through air, which means that there will be air resistance to take into account, so any design has to be as aerodynamic as possible, there are a few other things to be taken into account, my email is bornwithapen@gmail.com. send me an email and i will send you all the relevant design specs that you will need, i can also send you the video of the tests. DO NOT do any designing till after this next test, the last thing i want is for anyone to waste time and effort till the theory has been proven, as we all know theory and reality sometimes don't get along.

Cipher
22nd February 2011, 06:00 AM
Is your theory magnetism in opposite directions combined to repel sideways forces?
If so, wont work :P unless you've got enough of these magnets combined, the more you have of em, the more stable it'll be.

And yeah would really love to see the vids :) (even if it fails which i hope it doesn't, but we might figure out something else then ^^)

Cipher

22nd February 2011, 12:12 PM
Cool. look forward to seeing the results :D

25 X 20 Wow that is quite big, not that its a bad thing :)

Levi
22nd February 2011, 02:16 PM
hi cipher
kind of but im not going to say too much on here except that the theory with this set up should work as it uses newtons third law to cancel out the natural effect of the magnetic behaviour, basically if a magnet can only do two things, attract or repel, and you cancel out on of those, the attract part then all it can do is the other repel, and if all possible points of attraction have been removed then it should be incredibly stable, but as i said all will be known after next wednesday, and thankyou for the wanting to see the vids even if it fails comment, that is genuinly heartwarming, but lets hope it doesn't fail :)

Levi
22nd February 2011, 02:19 PM
nutcase
it actually surprised me how big it was when i got it back, for testing purposes tho its perfect, and to be honest it feels like a decent size to have the finished product as, also gives enough room to have the steering control in place as well.

22nd February 2011, 02:39 PM
Do you have any pictures of the test model you've got back to show or is all top secret at the moment :D

Cipher
22nd February 2011, 03:16 PM
@levi; true, but you cannot remove the attraction force as a whole, yes you can get rid of the magnet's attract(not rid, but minimalized) but there's still the gravity which will cause conflict with that repelling force of the magne.
I THINK i have an own theory that's able to create a very stable platform with 3 magnets, but try your theory first ;) and don't forget to press the record button, don't wanne miss it :D

Levi
22nd February 2011, 05:23 PM
hi guys,
it is something which i want to keep under wraps until this next test, for obvious reasons, as far as canceling out the magnetic attraction it doesn't, it doesn't even diminish it, what it does is, it stops the magnetic attraction being able to happen, basically a magnet can only do two things, this concept prevents it from attracting so it can only repel, trust me when you see it, you'll understand, as you said tho, it may fail, but i don't think it will, as far as video goes, i have the first test on video, this shows that Earnshaw wasn't entirely correct as i have a single neodymium magnet levitating above another neodymium magnet, and it does so with stability, this test was to test if what i was thinking would actually work, and I'm pleased to say it did, this is not to say that Earnshaw was wrong, just that he wasn't thinking outside the box, but trust me in a week from now, i hope, i will send you both a video of the chasis floating above a surface with no use of mirror's, electromagnets or liquid nitrogen.

Crash8308
25th February 2011, 03:00 AM
When I was 8 years old I came up with a design for a train that ran on electromagnets. I wish I still had the drawings but after I designed it I heard about the MagLev system in Japan doing that.

Now, as for anigrav racing you would need to use the same principal as there is really no way currently to counteract/control the effects of gravity as a physical principle.

but I digress, if we were to be racing this way on the earth you would need to create a perfectly flat track with zero turns because as soon as you would shift your center of gravity during a turn, tremendous force would need to be exerted by the elecromagnets to mantain lateral stability and not flip over.

Honeslty, the best place to do this would actually be in space as you would only have to move mass and not worry about gravitational pull as well.

2nd March 2011, 12:09 PM
OooohhH its tuesday :D you have any results? or am i jumping the gun :hyper

Xpand
2nd March 2011, 03:38 PM
Well, my theory is that, if matter creates gravity, then anti-matter creates "anti-gravity", the thing is, it's too risky to have antimatter on an unstable container, such as the ship, and the amount of anti-matter needed to counter gravity would probably be tremendous...
The other way is by using the theoretical "dark energy", a force that makes the universe expand by countering the gravitational attraction effects...

Levi
3rd March 2011, 11:23 AM
Nutcase
slight delay unfortunately, the material i need to make the surface was harder to find then i first thought, but i found it and will be placing the order on monday now, at £60 a kilogram($100 Approx) ive had to postpone the purchase for a week, but hopefully will be back on schedule monday.

Levi
3rd March 2011, 11:27 AM
Xpand
well this isn't technically 'antigravity' its simply magnetic repulsion and stable levitation, so i don't have to worry about dark matter or anti matter, i know the tangents i went of on when they announced there maybe a blck hole created at the large hadron collider, so i would stay away from such exotic theories if for nothing else but my own sanity :)

Cipher
19th March 2011, 03:13 PM
any update on this?

Xpand
19th March 2011, 04:39 PM
Well, if the ship was a really big supercondutor it's mag repulsion would be stable and it would just sit there on top of the track:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VGACLNfZ8s

20th March 2011, 10:28 PM
I hope there is an update. if this works it sounds really interesting :D

feisar rocket
21st March 2011, 10:52 PM
Mabey we will start racing in 2050! Hahaha, you get it? First W'O, 2050... thats when it started...

Levi
22nd March 2011, 06:37 AM
Don't you just hate companies that stock a product but don't have any in stock, the company that i was ordering the bismuth from does'nt have any on stock, typical!!, but after much searching i located another company that hopefully will, i know these delays are a pain in the rear end, but like most things worth waiting for , it will be worth waiting for :)

Darkdrium777
22nd March 2011, 02:24 PM
Bismuth you say? Interesting, I await the result of your experiment :p

Levi
26th March 2011, 07:14 PM
so i thought i would let you all know that the Experiment that this all centres on will be taking place tommorrow, will post a video on you tube monday or tuesday

26th March 2011, 07:57 PM
brilliant! :D i hope it goes well :+

Levi
28th March 2011, 04:58 PM
so i got the nice 50mm square magnets and glued them to the test board, attached the magnets to the chasis, and placed it above the magnet array, i must have a mismatch of magnets because the the whole thing was trying to move away from the 4 base magnets, the reason i think its a mismatch is because the smaller magnets are oblong and against each other the magnetic effect happens on the large face, but next to the 50mm square magnets its along the edge, very strange, so what it means id that i will have to get another 4 50mm magnets so that the fields are the same, that should work, the good news is that while holding the loaded chasis above the base magnets you could definitely feel a leveling out, but still not quite there yet

Cipher
29th March 2011, 08:19 AM
Aaaaaawweeeesoooooooome :D
Hope you get some footage of it ^^

Cipher

Levi
29th March 2011, 01:39 PM
Ok Guys here it is, as i explained the experiment wasn't entirely successful, but it does show where im going with this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7-dHKLZs3k

29th March 2011, 06:50 PM
Excellent video, just learnt more science in that 3 minutes and 59second video than I have done in about 2 years LOL.

anyway seeing it levitating looks really cool, look forward to the next video :+

Levi
29th March 2011, 08:08 PM
nutcase
glad you saw the vid, I'm not sure exactly what science you learned but im glad it was of some help, as i explained in the video, with a large single surface the magnetic slippage wont be a prominent factor, plus as you saw with those magnets the frame was way to high, so with less field strength the chassis will sit closer to the surface, one very interesting thing that did come out of this is that if you push the magnets through the repelling field so they touch the base magnet they actually lock onto the magnets, which would imply that both fields occupy the same space at a certain point, not sure yet what this means or if it has any use, but im sure it will become apparent, anyway next video should be in a couple of weeks and thank you for watching