PDA

View Full Version : Rumour of new wipeout game being made

jesse9705
23rd December 2010, 08:47 AM
Ive been reading here read this entire article it says for the PSP2 they will make a new wipeout game read for yourself

http://www.pspgweber.com/psp-article751-Are-PSP2-Games-Modified-Enough-To-Meet-High-Expectations-Of-Gamers?.html

isnt that cool they could be making a new wipeout game :hyper:hyper:hyper:hyper
lets hope this is true

metronum
23rd December 2010, 09:21 AM
It feels like they will do a new one for the new PSP like they did with Pure and then may export it to PS3....cant we just get a game made for PS3 from scratch....?

XpanDrome2097
15th January 2011, 11:45 AM
The page cannot be found now, why :|?
For me, fake notice or not, WipEout can't be abandoned.
...and, also if I don't have see the notice, I would hope that the psp2, or another new sony console, would have a new WipEout game.

SaturnReturn
15th January 2011, 03:23 PM
I wouldn't particularly want to have to buy a new portable console just for a Wipeout game. That's pretty much what I'd have to do though as I've never really played my PSP much as it is. I agree that I'd much rather see a new game for the PS3 or even PS4, because I'm more likely to buy that. Both new handheld and home console Wipeouts would probably be the best thing. Actually, the very best thing would be if I could play the portable games on whatever the current gen home console is. I'd buy way more PSP games if that were possible.

amplificated
15th January 2011, 05:24 PM
I'm pinning my hopes for the next WipEout to be on the PS4, personally, to be released in about 1.7 years :P

But anyway, since the rumours are saying that the PSP2 is practically as powerful as a PS3, perhaps (should this rumour be accurate) the new game will be easily portable over to the PS3 as a downloadable title and still have good quality graphical assets :!
Hell, Sony has made it clear that WO is typically at the front of the technological curve, perhaps the game will be cross-compatible with a PS3 version :! Well, one can hope :P

I wouldn't be able to get it for a handheld, as I'm just one of those people that have never had one and has absolutely no intentions of buying one in the future, either...

KGB
15th January 2011, 05:45 PM
I'd be disappointed if it was just on PSP2, I think PURE on the PSP put me off Wipeout for a long time, so much so that I never bought PULSE when it came out. I just never got to grips with the PSP, it's too small for me to play games on properly. PURE and PULSE are the only games I've played on it so it was a bit of a waste of money tbh. My son had more use out of the thing than I did.

What would they sell the new console for? £200.00 maybe more. Too much for me to play one game I think.

But here we are complaining that they are making a new one (maybe;)). It would be really really great news if this is true :hyper

Dan Locke
15th January 2011, 05:56 PM
For those who get an error message when they try to read the article, here's another link (http://pspgweber.com/751/are-psp2-games-modified-enough-to-meet-high-expectations-of-gamers-.html).

What I don't understand is the idea that the system will flop if Sony's franchises aren't "modified enough". The most insulting expression of that sentiment pertains to... Wipeout:

Wipeout series are already on PSP for more than five years. In PSP2, it needs to be either completely removed or transformed significantly.
Can anyone explain to me how that works? I still can't wrap my head around it.

KGB
15th January 2011, 06:10 PM
I couldn't use the link before, It doesn't even say there is one getting made, just someone who thinks "Sonny" should make one :rolleyes:. I'll look at the link first next time.

SaturnReturn
15th January 2011, 06:15 PM
Oh, it's that article? I think someone posted it before but it's difficult to take it seriously.

It will be an innovative move from Sonny Corporation if it includes some of the underlying games in this console. They arePSP2 games, A New Wipeout Game, Patapon 4, successor of Gran Turismo PSP, Sequel to Assassins Creed: Bloodlines, Sequel to Ratchet and Clank, Uncharted Spin off, Sequel to Resistance and successor of MotorStorm Arctic Edge.

I think they're just plucking out franchises as things they'd expect. It just looks like total speculation on every front to me.

amplificated
15th January 2011, 06:20 PM
Have to agree there, Saturn.

(I couldn't see the article before, either)

XpanDrome2097
15th January 2011, 09:50 PM
I agree with Saturn: total speculation.

Chill
21st January 2011, 07:33 PM
I'd have to say that I wouldn't mind it too much though... as long as of course they've got a new Wipeout for a home console on the way too... Or perhaps just another Wipeout HD improvement?? (Wouldn't mind)... But sometime I like the thought of Wiping out some Wipeout while I'm waiting for or in a bus, train, or plane... But I'd think a home console should be priority one... the handhelds should be priority two... ;)

mikrucio
31st January 2011, 10:10 AM
Well i guess its no speculation now! coz its on the NPG. (psp2)

although closer look it appears to be a port of wipeout HD.

eLhabib
10th April 2011, 07:23 PM
Hey guys, just dropped by to share the good news I got today: There is definitely a new wipEout game being made as we speak. I don't know any details, I have no clue when they are gonna announce it, but I know it exists and it's a NEW game, BluRay release, for PS3.
Cryptic, I know, but good news nonetheless!
yay! :hyper

SaturnReturn
10th April 2011, 07:34 PM
:rock I like this news, as it will be the first time I get to experience a brand new WipEout game, and all the hype and discussion around it, in full.

Thanks eLhabib.:+

KGB
10th April 2011, 07:39 PM
Brilliant news for us all :D

RJ O'Connell
10th April 2011, 08:14 PM
Hey guys, just dropped by to share the good news I got today: There is definitely a new wipEout game being made as we speak. I don't know any details, I have no clue when they are gonna announce it, but I know it exists and it's a NEW game, BluRay release, for PS3.
Cryptic, I know, but good news nonetheless!
yay! :hyper

I can see it now.

"Sony Computer Entertainment presents..." and then you see the SL logo, then the Evo Studios logo crashing into each other and out of the wreckage an owl flies and perches itself onto a ledge that reads "Psygnosis". Then the trailer comes up and it shows off expanded online multiplayer, track editor, story mode, classic Wipeout ships and more.

stinkleroy
10th April 2011, 08:22 PM
Wow RJ that sounded like a dream..... :D

I really wasn't expecting this news, but wooo hooo! Thanks for sharing eL :+

stin
10th April 2011, 08:32 PM
That is great news!!!:D, I`m certainly looking forward to that in near future!

I wonder, what Wipeout will be called?

stevie:)

Medusa
10th April 2011, 08:34 PM
I want to post a happy dance but it doesn't translate well into text and I'm a bad dancer anyway...
YAYYYYAYYYAYYAAYYYYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAA AYYYYYYY!

Sausehuhn
10th April 2011, 08:37 PM
:eek

:hyper

:)

greenymac
10th April 2011, 08:40 PM
This makes me one happy guy... Maybe this time I wont come into the game after its been out over 2 years and try to keep up with vets...LOL.

Oryx Crake
10th April 2011, 09:39 PM
YAHOOOOOOOO! we're getting the band back together :g hehehe figurativly speaking of course but this place will be buzzing now I love it!

UB3R~JKP
10th April 2011, 10:54 PM
Better than effing intercourse!!! Yessss!!! Woot! Woot!

MrSmadSmartAlex
10th April 2011, 10:58 PM
This means that I might have to buy a PS3. :brickwall
Great news. :)

leungbok
11th April 2011, 08:04 AM
There is definitely a new wipEout game being made as we speak. I don't know any details, I have no clue when they are gonna announce it, but I know it exists and it's a NEW game, BluRay release, for PS3.r
Thanks El, great news !! :)
i'll rely the info on wo-arena ;)

Xpand
11th April 2011, 10:24 AM
Woohooo! :clap

Temet
11th April 2011, 10:53 AM
Love you mate!!!!

ion harvest
11th April 2011, 11:22 AM
Better than effing intercourse!!! Yessss!!! Woot! Woot!

Depends who u been shagging. :D

is this new wipeout really in the works? Or is it just a rumor then? Becuz I found this link http://blog.wirebot.com/2011/02/21/activision-blizzard-announces-new-wipeout-and-family-guy-games/
It says wipeout is being made by Activision and it is based on the TV show. NoooOoooooOooooOoooh XD

greenymac
11th April 2011, 11:45 AM
I was thinking the same thing ion...Whenever I look I get the same results....

Flint Fandango
11th April 2011, 11:52 AM
@ion harvest: That would really be a nightmare! :frown:
But well, el habib surely knows what he´s talking about. I would trust him in this case.
A new WipEout would be overdue and awesome! :hyper

kaori
11th April 2011, 12:07 PM
Yipee ! :hyper :cowboy

greenymac
11th April 2011, 12:17 PM
I sure hope you're right....

Xpand
11th April 2011, 02:10 PM
Oh sh--!

runingman111
11th April 2011, 02:31 PM
Hi there :) i also waiting on a new wipeout - like you guys - but can it be - all i found for it is this - http://abc.go.com/shows/wipeout - hope that elhabib has better sources

ion harvest
11th April 2011, 03:03 PM
That's Total Wipeout the TV show. What we want is news of a new wipeout game for the PS3 and its futuristic racing. Don't get me wrong tho becuz Total Wipeout is brilliant to watch. but for pets sake don't make a game out od a TV show.

I do hope Elhabib can share more information with us. But its probably all real hush right now.

Total Wipeout. No. Thank u very much. LoL

MrSmadSmartAlex
11th April 2011, 03:52 PM
This means that I might not have to buy a PS3. :D

Jav
11th April 2011, 04:41 PM
No, in the rumours they speak of a new WipEout game. It has the capital E, it is definitely about the racing game.

leungbok
11th April 2011, 04:52 PM
El Habib works in videogame industry if i'm not wrong, and he's a longtime fan & player of the serial, i don't see him giving that kind of info for a game based on stupid reality show ! ;)

WolfKill01
11th April 2011, 05:11 PM
Here's a little something I found on the magical world wide web. http://www.destructoid.com/new-ps3-wipeout-revealed--168783.phtml

Finally!!! A silver lining!! :hyper Looks like i'm gonna have to fork out the money for a ps3 :lol

AspenExcel
11th April 2011, 05:21 PM
Words cannot describe how excited I am!! Yes yes yes!!

R3BU5ER
11th April 2011, 06:21 PM
Aaaaawesooommmmeee!!!! :) I've just told my girlfriend this great news LoL!

Dark_Phantom_89
11th April 2011, 06:43 PM
:hyper :hyper :hyper :hyper :hyper

That is all. I'm REALLY stoked for this!

greenymac
11th April 2011, 07:05 PM
I read that article awhile back as well. But, then I heard they wererevamping sony liverpool or something. I cant remember exactly.

KGB
11th April 2011, 07:18 PM
Aaaaawesooommmmeee!!!! :) I've just told my girlfriend this great news LoL!

Don't want to tell my wife :cold

D.I.V.O.R.C.E ;)

R3BU5ER
11th April 2011, 09:23 PM

D.I.V.O.R.C.E ;)

;) Whatever you do, DON'T Hook that dam. PS3 onto the bedroom tv hèhè. :hyper

I'm still not convinced though, just saw that article is from over a year ago? Damn this is confusing.

Darkdrium777
11th April 2011, 09:58 PM
Hey guys♥ for you.

Instant buy when it comes out. I want Sony to understand that we need moar WipEout and less secrets.

greenymac
12th April 2011, 02:25 AM
Well, if theres more to this i suspect we'll know more at E3.

tommyboy716
12th April 2011, 03:03 AM
1st the tv wipeout has already been realised so that romur is dead 2nd if a PS3 version is being made more than likely a PSP version is being made also

Aeroracer
12th April 2011, 03:04 AM
i want.............

custom ships...in depth

nightime tracks like sol at night

remove air brake glitch to get rid of the cheaters

remove track glitches and have option for ship collissions on or off preferbly off unless they sort out damage and mechanics

Colonel
12th April 2011, 08:11 AM

D.I.V.O.R.C.E ;)

Haha, I know how you feel. I have goosebumps of excitement, and yet a sense of dread as to the future of my relationship :lol

stin
12th April 2011, 08:50 AM
Heh!, you know, I just tell my lovely wifie to get that game for me and she will obey!;)

stevie:g

Challenger #001
12th April 2011, 11:38 AM
Aiirwolf won't have that problem at least. xD

greenymac
12th April 2011, 12:18 PM
Hey colonel You better ,learn to crack the whip on that woman. Mine knows better than to challenge my authority... If she does, she knows I'll find other more mischievous things to do with my time...:evil

Colonel
12th April 2011, 12:27 PM
Ah who knows, maybe she'll come around. On my birthday in January she sat with me and played Wipeout HD for about four hours bless her. Can't imagine we'll get to do the same on her birthday in August though haha.

JFthebestJan
12th April 2011, 02:20 PM
...good news:...There is definitely a new wipEout game being made as we speak...and it's a NEW game, BluRay release, for PS3...
PLZ, i want it so much :D
- they have to add a replay feature for all modes with "save and/or share" function (youtube upload)
- min. top 10 ghosts for all modes/tracks/classes downloadable/useable for everyone (this would be a good method to avoid glitched scores)
- they have to include all tracks/modes/teams from every wipEout game so far and new ones of course
- track editor...like the editor for F-Zero X (64DD)
- something like the X-Cup (randomly created tracks) for online modes :rock
- oh, i want "jump-pads"; minefields; "icefields" or something similar; destructive track parts (rockets/plasma fired off track and destroys something)
- special eliminator stages (i.e. mario kart)
- ability to allow just a few items in a race (i.e. just turbo/plasma is available)
- online zone/zb races with weapons
- 16+ contenders
- detonator mp

Aeroracer
12th April 2011, 03:45 PM
Hey colonel You better ,learn to crack the whip on that woman. Mine knows better than to challenge my authority... If she does, she knows I'll find other more mischievous things to do with my time...:evil

oh really....lol crack the whip...if greenmacs wife is reading this please do the right thing and crown him with the nearest frying pan and post the pic on the forum as a warning to others guys who give it big with their wifes..:p

as 4 new potential wipeout..i have high hopes ..if its gonna be a real game and not a download like hd its gonna be even better and bigger than before which will be amazing for everyone..as hd took like 1 year+ for me to get to grips with

greenymac
12th April 2011, 05:00 PM
Jasmin you have no idea i run sh-- around here! (Hides frying pans and sharp objects)

Jav
12th April 2011, 05:55 PM
I just want new tracks more than anything. And improved gameplay.

Temet
12th April 2011, 06:13 PM
Just to avoid one more a time a huge fight between BR lovers/haters, SS lovers/haters, powerful weapons lovers/heaters, etc... I would suggest to avoid expressing wishes ;)

... even if it kills me now not to write what I want! :D

Oryx Crake
12th April 2011, 06:33 PM
I just want a skin editor <.< cant be any complaints about that right? :g

Challenger #001
12th April 2011, 07:10 PM
Or some new teams. :D Bring back Van-Uber!

Darkdrium777
13th April 2011, 02:26 AM
^Traitor.

Chill
13th April 2011, 08:03 PM
Just read the news... WOOH! All that I can think of that I'd like now is the option between BRs and Pit-lanes on each and every track, the option to have multiple weather effects on tracks (up to crazy weather), and paint customization... But never-the-less super excited even though I haven't played Wipeout HD to death like I've usually done with most other previous sequals... :/ Guess I've just been too busy, or growing out of the video-game idea (military life kinda pulls you away after several years)... I'm definately buying it no matter what!! :D

RJ O'Connell
13th April 2011, 08:49 PM
I'll be glued to Sony's E3 and Gamescom pressers now more than ever.

I hope this isn't just a case of someone pulling our leg to get our hopes up after the tumultuous 2010 for SL.

Cyberio
13th April 2011, 10:36 PM
Finally, a new WipEout, with BD version on his release!

Waiting for E3...

Sausehuhn
13th April 2011, 11:36 PM
So many pictures in my mind … haha … I’m excited to see what the new game might look like. For me WOHD still is a pretty damn good game and I hope that the next sequel is not „only“ WOHD with bugfixes. Then I would rather see a few more expansion packs.

So what will the next game look like? Maybe we’ll travel back in the WO-universe? Too the good old F7200-days? Or pre Pure when the world was awaiting the return of a world sport?
I’m curious of what we’ll see and I have no doubt Studio Liverpool knows what they’re doing. :)

Can’t wait to get more info on that.

Chill
14th April 2011, 05:42 AM
Just woke up from a dream of a totally redone version of Wipeout 3... trippy...

JABBERJAW
14th April 2011, 12:25 PM
Didn't the article say something about the physics system based on wipeout pure? My guess is HD type physics, which is fine with me, but get rid of those nasty bugs like the brake thing, also, make it harder on the walls, I shouldn't be able to smash walls and lose .2 seconds and that is all, or a full head on into the wall on a turn, and only lose 1 second. Faster faster faster. OH, and either have barrel rolls or not, but don't dumb them down to go even slower :) I liked them in pure, real speed there.

OH, GET RID OF MOTION BLUR, nasty, and a fake sense of speed at the same time. Older versions were just fine with the real speed of the turbos without blur

RJ O'Connell
14th April 2011, 07:36 PM
New wishlist if it turns out to be real:

Track Editor with the ability to play created courses online and share them with friends.

More online options switch on/off individual weapons, ship restrictions (i.e. FEISAR only or no ships with >7 shield energy).

More online modes Online time attacks, 1v1 tournaments, team battles, stuff like that.

60 frames per second even in split-screen. Don't care how you do it, just do it.

Support for at least 12 ships in a race which may be counter-productive to the last item on the list, but it would be nice to see.

Remastered versions of classic tracks Imagine how awesome Altima VII, Gare D'Europa or Manor Top would look with today's graphics. There may be some minor changes to make sure the ships don't fly off too easily or bounce around all over the place, but nothing too drastic.

Classic WipEout ships Imagine a race between six generations of AG-Systems machines. Imagine what would happen if the 2097 Piranha prototype met the 2197 Triakis from Wipeout Pure. Rebalance them to fit the current game mechanics and it'll be sheer heaven.

New neGcon-based peripheral as long as it twists and has all the necessary buttons it should be good.

Replay saves for offline and online races, and the ability to share and upload them straight to YouTube.

Optimized for SDTV menus For those of us like myself who don't want to put up with HDTV input lag/don't have the money for one but would still like to read the menus. Alternatively, have a button that lets you zoom in, like GT5.

Better support for voice chat constantly switching back and forth from the XMB chat rooms can be a hassle, and besides, I quite enjoy trash talking in-between races.

I'll delve into gameplay mechanics another time.

Chill
14th April 2011, 08:03 PM
Sounds a little over-demanding RJO LOL... actually working on the game this stuff may be rediculously hard to acheive... but if fantastic dreams are what we're asking for, I'd suppose I'd have to agree haha... Not being a hard-ass though, so not expecting it. Definately agree with the removal of blur idea...

tommyboy716
14th April 2011, 08:47 PM
Wipeout pure was free of glitches (Except on some devices the FPS would slow down in intense moments-not the case in mine) there is no Pit lane You have to absorb your weapons instead. Walls Do slow you down quite a bit. but won't necessarily ruin the whole game. The game will most likely release for PS3 and PSP If you have any questions about WipEout Pure ask me.
Edit: the Physics Blur was a problem with the PSP not the game itself.

JABBERJAW
14th April 2011, 09:01 PM
wipeout pure's barrel rolls did not work in sr when ships were in front of you, bad. In MP, it was fine.

RJ O'Connell
14th April 2011, 09:55 PM
Sounds a little over-demanding RJO LOL... actually working on the game this stuff may be rediculously hard to acheive... but if fantastic dreams are what we're asking for, I'd suppose I'd have to agree haha... Not being a hard-ass though, so not expecting it. Definately agree with the removal of blur idea...
Well, speaking frankly, the idea of a new Wipeout game being announced so soon after a year of massive restructuring and a month after the announcement that all the big Sony UK studios had their projects scrapped is a bit overly ambitious, don't you think?

I've seen more far-fetched (and to be blunt, ****ing stupid) suggestions lists in the GT/Forza communities. Aside from the neGcon-esque controller suggestion, everything I've suggested is ambitious while still being fairly plausible. And if one of those things suggested isn't a part of this next project, guess what? I'm still dropping $60 on it and playing the ever-loving hell out of it.

Regarding motion blur: should be able to switch it on/off in the options.

Darkdrium777
14th April 2011, 10:34 PM
More online options switch on/off individual weapons.

More online modes Online time attacks, 1v1 tournaments, team battles, stuff like that.

60 frames per second even in split-screen. Don't care how you do it, just do it. And make boost start possible.

Remastered versions of classic tracks Imagine how awesome Altima VII, Gare D'Europa or Manor Top would look with today's graphics. There may be some minor changes to make sure the ships don't fly off too easily or bounce around all over the place, but nothing too drastic.

Replay saves for offline and online races, and the ability to share and upload them straight to YouTube.

Better support for voice chat constantly switching back and forth from the XMB chat rooms can be a hassle, and besides, I quite enjoy trash talking in-between races. HD didn't have voice chat lolWhat I really want, top priority IMO.

Track/ship editor would be sweet, but I can still put 300 hours into that game without it.

Xpand
14th April 2011, 11:45 PM
wipeout pure's barrel rolls did not work in sr when ships were in front of you, bad. In MP, it was fine.

Wipeout Pure's BR only work when you do the complete rotation and stay upright for a while before "touching" the ground.

blackwiggle
15th April 2011, 05:47 AM
If they do release this new wipeout on a disc I hope it loads onto the HD, I don't think I could stand going back to the loading times for tracks after living with HD for these last years.

I doubt we would get a track editor, it's never been a part of wipeout before, mainly I think because wipeout is all about learning the tracks to get the fastest time so you can compare yourself against other pilots.
IMHO I think it would make wipeout clunky.

I wouldn't be surprised if they somehow made some sort of MOVE controller part of the game, I remember somebody who works in the gaming industry saying that SL were working with the MOVE before it was released and before the retrenchments.
I also remember Colin Berry saying he would tell the guys at SL that quite a few at the forum would like more challenges/trophies that didn't require BR's, I hope that makes it into the game.

You just have got to look at where they were heading with FURY to get a basic idea of what a new wipeout might be like, which is a bit of a worry if we get a bunch of tracks as horrid as Modesto/Amphisium , probably some new modes along the lines of detonator, new/old craft with possibly skin changes, online survivor zone races without the battle element.

Anyway as long as something new comes along I'll be happy.
I somehow think this new wipeout might make a simultaneous release on both the PS3 and the NGP, and both will be able to race against each other.

MENGKESHI
15th April 2011, 08:53 AM
Better support for voice chat[/b] constantly switching back and forth from the XMB chat rooms can be a hassle, and besides, I quite enjoy trash talking in-between races.

I dunno, GT5 has this and presumably as a result of it doesn't allow you to listen to any custom playlist online. I assume it's possibly because they don't want you to stream any copyrighted music over your headphones?? I'd hate to lose the custom playlist....

eLhabib
15th April 2011, 02:11 PM
Honestly, all I would want from a new PS3 wipEout game is a complete reboot of the series. Start anew, in the vein of the original wipEout. Maybe even take it's era and expand on it. Darker, grittier, more visceral. I want the feeling of 2097's intro movie. Cyberpunk. Dirt. Rain. Fewer weapons with more skill and effect to them. Away with the barrel rolls. Away with everything clean. Also, completely re-done physics - it needs to feel like flying again. Also I'd appreciate actual damage and scratches on ships, custom paintjobs and decals is a GIVEN (still hate GT5 for not having that), oh and yes, classic tracks, definitely.
I don't think a track editor can be done right, these are not your standard racing circuits, but if they manage to find a way, go for it!
About pitlanes, absorb and whatnot: I had an idea years ago, I'll share it again, I think it's the perfect system: when you fly over a weapon pad, you receive a weapon, normal. But now, you have three options: FIRE, ABSORB or BOOST. FIRE, well, that one is obvious. ABSORB works like in HD, you get back an amount of energy related to the power of the weapon. BOOST gives you a boost, also related to the power of the weapon. This way racing becomes even more tactical, and barrel rolls (which were the system for little, tactical boosts in HD) become redundant. It's a nice and easy system, 3 buttons, 3 options. Whaddaya think?

Colonel
15th April 2011, 03:42 PM
Sounds pretty good eLhabib. I also liked, among others, blackwiggle's idea of online zone survivor mode. As much as I enjoy ZB, to be able to play something closer to proper zone, but in a multiplayer environment, would be amazing. Just imagine Wotan Vs ProblemSolver Vs Yeldar Vs Reezy on one of the Pure 4, it would be insane.

Personally I'd like the online to be opened up with far more options for customizing rooms. So you could have all manner of tournaments, mixing zone battle, elims, SRs, Green races etc. You could also have "labels" for rooms, so people would know what kind of room they were entering, rather than just the specific race happening at that time. E.g beginner's flash room, multi-mode Icaras room.

As others have said I'd like to see classic tracks, plus lots of new ones. I'd like to to see twenty or thirty tracks to be honest, with forwards and reverses. Loads of ships too. And Zone mode has to be as fking awesome as it is now.

Don't suppose you have any more details on said game do you eLhabib? ;)

Oryx Crake
15th April 2011, 03:42 PM
Thats funny habib I have been going around thinking about the same stuff with the weapons :g though I must admit, great as my love is for 2097 I'd rather have a hybrid of today's physics and that one or just keep the newer physics mostly cause it'äs felt like a progression to me to where it is now and I want it to feel like it's moving forward into something new which a revamp doesnt really feel like to me.

But something that I think people might not have considered is that it's not the physics engine that has to change but rather that the individual ships might handle differently, consider this: say you have the option of using classic ships from older installments and you pick the 2097 qirex and it would handle and react the way it did in 2097(cept you know more well programmed with an even realer feeling and graphics so pretty it'd give you an eyegasm) I mean if you think about it there is no real reason why a ship that handles like that couldnt compete in the hands of a skilled pilot right? oh the range of posibilities with such an engine and array of ships... how cool wouldnt it be to see a good replay of that ship zooming around in the hands of a truly skilled pilot? :g

As for the barrel rolls though personally I just love the feeling of going over the peak in sebenco climb with that split second of air time...(wat for it wait for it)... *click click click* and then landing a perfect br down the straight. Imagine taking the peak at gare d'europa that way with the thunder going off in the distance, the rain smattering against the ship and your own custom paint job with your mates seconds behind you nibbling at your heels!... whew...
(I think I need to go have a bit of a lay down ^^; )

wow what an essay! XD

RJ O'Connell
15th April 2011, 10:01 PM
I dunno, GT5 has this and presumably as a result of it doesn't allow you to listen to any custom playlist online. I assume it's possibly because they don't want you to stream any copyrighted music over your headphones?? I'd hate to lose the custom playlist....

I didn't even notice this, but I'm going to have to try this out for myself next time I'm playing GT5.

greenymac
15th April 2011, 11:45 PM
Yeah I noticed that, and it blows.

blackwiggle
16th April 2011, 12:02 AM
I love that idea for 3 options with pick-up's elhabib, it's simple and easy to learn, and probably easy for the game builders to code.
If they got rid of BR's [wishful thinking I know] and implemented this 3 option system instead, it would bring back best lines racing instead of ones ability to BR or not, which as everybody knows has been a bone of contention since they first made their appearance.

I don't know about online chat being fixed, I'm in two minds about this after listening to some of the crap bantered about in other games, I think we have been mercifully spared that in HD by it being broken.
In one way it would be good if your trying to organize a GG while sitting on the grid, but trying to use it while racing [when it was working for the first 3 weeks] was virtually impossible at the faster speeds with everything else that's going on, as you need to hold yet another button down when talking.
If they did fix it maybe it would be better if they made it a always on/off option, like selecting HUD type that didn't need a button to operate.

If they could fix using reverse view not glitching or freezing the game when online would be good.

I like the outdoor daylight tracks of HD, I liked some these type of ones in Fusion as well, bring back the dust thrown up by the craft on a few tracks, that was pretty cool.
It's just that so many games are set in dark locations [caves/spaceships/night time] it gets depressing if not just plain monotonous, HD was a a breath of fresh air in that regards.

I'd like to see the online board to give more info, like if you scrolled over a active room it would show all pilots that are racing in it.

RJ O'Connell
16th April 2011, 12:59 AM
I've never been a fan of hyperthrust/push for power in the past, but after playing a lot of Wipeout 3 in recent weeks and giving it some thought, I think it could work again.

This three item system sounds pretty busted, everyone online will just fly over the item pads and boost and boost and boost and boost to try and gap the field and never use weapons, basically turning the game into F-Zero, which is fine, if we were playing F-Zero, but not for Wipeout. Even if the strength of the boost is dependent upon weapon power, if the guy in first place at the start picks up a plasma, which would typically be the most powerful weapon there is - everyone else in the lobby may as well quit the race.

eLhabib
16th April 2011, 01:39 AM
I'm not talking about big boosts, not like the turbo pickup. I think the 3-options system would make for some nice tactical thinking. Use the rockets to try and hit the guy in front or try to overtake him with a small boost and beat him to the next weapon pad?

blackwiggle
16th April 2011, 01:48 AM
I see your point, but if you made it so that the weapons pad is always active, then all successive pilots get a pickup as well.
That would make it even, and as elhabib intended, more thought on strategic use of the pickup.
It would depend a lot on weapon pad placement and just how many there are on any particular track.

If you made a new weapon a bomb that you could drop, that if hit would not stop or slow the craft behind, it would just remove the pick-up they were holding.
That would also fix a major problem with HD/Fury, weapons that are too strong and ruin any chance of getting back in a race.

Also if all weapons/pickups had a value, say 1 to 20,then you could make mines do a similar thing, except in their case, depending on how many you hit, they would make whatever pickup you were holding of lesser value, but still of some use, either as a small speed boost, shield replenishment or a lesser weapon.

You could end up with what everybody want's, a very free flowing game without the current frustration of finding yourself stationary on the track.

Copernicus
16th April 2011, 03:30 AM
If the weapon to boost you describe is identical to a speed pad then I could accept that.
For a new wipeout I would like to be able toggle gameplay aspects, such as enable/disable weapon pads, enable/disable barrel rolls, and the lighting. One of the things that has bothered me is some tracks are so dark it's hard to see, but in Zone mode things are a nice opaque bright. I would prefer to have an opaque brightness on all tracks, with proper color and texture separations for different parts of the track (road, rail, background). They could call it image recognition lighting/texture mapping.

blackwiggle
16th April 2011, 06:43 AM
There is already an option to disable barrel rolls and have none weapon races in online game set up.

I agree that some tracks are too dark in Fury [Modesto tunnel section ARGHH! :twisted], not so much in HD.

I have trouble seeing where the hell I'm going on dark tracks, I race in cockpit mode so it can sort of make it worse, especially if playing online and you get rammed off the racing line, then have NO idea wtf you are, that's why I loath Modesto, well the Fury version anyway.

Plus you end up having to play in a "Game Cave" so you can see what your doing, not so bad at night, but I don't think it's healthy shutting yourself away in a darkened light controlled room to play video games during the day.
It has a psychological effect on you that can bring on depression.

We've seen enough pilots that have suffered that here over the years, some to their tragic demise.
So only a few dark tracks please people at SL if any of you eventually read this.
Hi Zico :nod

Mad-Ice
16th April 2011, 06:58 AM
First of all, thanks for the heads up eLhabib. I am really looking forward to any new Wipeout game. The boost system that you are talking about with the three way use of the weaponpads sounds really good. To balance things out and not to give pole position a great advantage to be able to pick up all weaponpads and boost and boost and boost, let pole position NOT have the option to boost and to pick up a turbo, so other players have a bigger opportunity to catch up.

Pole position would be more tactical with which weapon to hold on to when another ship takes over. The amount and ratio between the weaponpads and the speedpads should be well balanced, something like 1 speedpad to 2 weaponpads. This should give more exciting races untill the end. Still a very skilled pilot can make perfect laps and with the right use of weapons when in first place can immediately shoot down the ship that is overtaking him.

Chill
16th April 2011, 07:29 AM
I like the idea of pitching off from the Original... Mostly because it was there that Wipeout was defined as having a very unique style to it, with the feeling of it's music and everything feeling very outlandish and races felt more like a wonderous adventure than a race that decayed away after Wipeout 3 (Wipeout 3 was bringing out the type of style for the first time which is why it was great), Wipeout Fusion woulda definately felt adventurous with those really long tracks if it wasn't for the track suction thing... but I think for this reason Wipeout 3 was able to use the best of what the creators visioned with the style, after that others would've only been copying Wipeout 3 to the T! And no one wants that, everyone wants there own little signature on the game... like BR for instance...

Another thing I miss about Wipeout is if it's not a rainy and dirty city, and it has a lot of sun... Have some damn grass fields and birds and stuff closer to nature every now and then... Maybe even have some track without hardly any city at all, like a few of the Wipeout Fusion tracks... though something other than desert... I miss racing through the jungle or more natural tracks, it feels more related to reality than city city and more city all the time... When going out on a jog, I'd like to maintain that ability of daydreaming about Wipeout while doing it as stuff happens around me... birds fly off, people walk by... Just think Wipeout should have the same effects, things happening around you while you're racing all the time...

[Off Topic] Speaking of which, I use to always loving bringing out Wipeout Pure to my track meets when I was in track and field on my Senior year of high School... Really motivated me to get out there lol... [/off topic]

Challenger #001
16th April 2011, 08:08 AM
I'm thinking maybe a good idea would be to have a tiered career system for the campaign mode. Here's my thoughts - the Career/Campaign is split into 12 levels. Two Vector championships, two Venom championships, two Flash championships, two Rapier championships, two Phantom championships and two Zen championships.

When you start your career, you are given attempts to test for three 'beginner' squads - FEISAR, Triakis and Goteki 45. Depending on what role you choose, tester or main pilot, you run the season either testing (TTs, SLs, Zone) or racing (Race, Eliminator, ZB). At the end of the season, if you were a tester you can get promoted, or you can apply for the next 'tier' of ships. This way you get a sort of ascension through the ranks that makes unlocking ships more and more rewarding. My thoughts for the tiers would be:

Tier 1: FEISAR, Triakis, Goteki 45
Tier 2: Tigron, Van-Uber, Mirage
Tier 3: Piranha, Assegai, eG-r
Tier 4: Qirex, Harimau, Auricom
Tier 5: Icaras, AG-Systems, Xios

I like the idea of the three-button system, would certainly give the triangle button something to do. ;) I do think though that perhaps the violence on track should be toned down a bit. Bring back Grav-Stingers rather than bombs that bottom out the ship, but don't cause much damage. Maybe EMPs instead of missiles? Bad enough getting flung around the track without having to deal with lots of damage too.

Add a bit more story into the games as well. Don't just do it 'all in the manual' again. Pulse was a step in the right direction, introducing the tracks at the start of the race. Maybe doing more with the ships and pilots would work as well, just making the world come to life. I agree with those mentioning more varied worlds than just more skyscrapers as well - part of the appeal of HD is seeing the entire world happening all around you, and to a lesser extent with Pulse and Fusion.

I'd also tweak the loyalty system a bit. I say that different teams should be harder to impress - you're hardly going to wow Auricom or Qirex in the same way you'd impress the Mirage team after all. The lower tiered ships should improve loyalty and get you better skins, as well as team support (not sure how this would work exactly yet, though if pitlanes were back, could mean higher recharge rate) but the higher teams have that exceptional ability that makes them so desirable.

blackwiggle
16th April 2011, 08:24 AM
As long as they keep the franchise tracks based on earth like gravity and don't wander off into places Wipeout shouldn't go, like underwater or in space. or some other convoluted portal type "other reality".

That would suck if they went down that path, it would be a cheap "what if we go down this direction" by the game director if they did that, and just show a lack of imagination.

It just wouldn't be Wipeout.

I just hope whoever is in charge of the new Wipeout has actually played the game before, and understands what is sacrosanct with the series.

Bring back CURLY 3...2...1 GO!

Sausehuhn
16th April 2011, 08:36 AM
I like your thoughts about a deeper backstory, Challenger.
Fusion had a lot of backstory and even transfered that to the race (rivalry between different teams). People had to chose a pilot, but did not identify with him. That was too much for some fans.

So as much as I love decent backstories, they should not influence the race itself. Though I would love to have team info ingame within the menus, maybe even team-related menu sections where you can learn more about the team’s background, ships and stuff. Same goes for the tracks, sponsors, league etc.

Don’t just put it on the website but have it ingame. If I compare Fusion’s, Pure’s and Pulse’s website, then the amount of background stories available seems like it’s becoming less and less with every sequel :|

Ah, and yes, they should definitely speak with TDR about the use of Curly :D

Chill
16th April 2011, 10:35 AM
As long as they keep the franchise tracks based on earth like gravity and don't wander off into places Wipeout shouldn't go, like underwater or in space. or some other convoluted portal type "other reality".

I think I'd have to disagree with you on this blackwiggle... just so long as it wouldn't take over the whole game! Why not have a race through cosmic debris in space, or race on some other planet with floating island waterfalls from Avatar? With even some rain that rises rather than falls! I think the more unique each track is from each other the better... ;)

Challenger #001
16th April 2011, 11:02 AM
I think Chill and blackwiggle have both relevant points. Part of the whole appeal of WipEout is the setting in which it's presented - a semi-dystopian future of humanity a hundred years from now where technology has advanced in spades and yet corruption and corporate greed reign supreme in cities.

There's no reason why in this world humanity wouldn't have a base on the moon (Katmoda 12), but I think there's a limit to the fantastical we could add to this franchise. Underwater's also believable too - Vineta K goes underwater temporarily after all, as does Mandrashee. The floating Sol 2 isn't unbelievable either.

Maybe if we're going with track choices, there should be a 'home' track for each team to keep a theme going. Harimau would have a leafy jungle-esque location, whereas eG-r would likely have a home race amid the smog-polluted cities of urban China.

Chill
16th April 2011, 11:09 AM
Maybe if we're going with track choices, there should be a 'home' track for each team to keep a theme going. Harimau would have a leafy jungle-esque location, whereas eG-r would likely have a home race amid the smog-polluted cities of urban China.

Very much like this idea! ;) I remember thinking that the game was actually SUPPOSE to be like that back when the first Wipeout game came out... 8 crafts, 8 tracks...

Colonel
16th April 2011, 11:16 AM
Quick idea for weapons. What about a "steal" item? It would only last a temporary amount of time and would lock on to your opponent like a missile. Once locked on it would identify what your opponent has and you have the choice to steal it or take a small amount of energy from them.

Oh and Chal I really hope they don't bring back Grav Stingers and Grav Bombs, really frustrating (he says, having just suggested the most frustrating thing ever).

blackwiggle
16th April 2011, 11:29 AM
I well realize that both SOL 2 & Vineta K both are tracks that are not earth like, much like many others going through the different WIPEOUT GAMES.

But the fact that the gravity on these tracks, be it false or not, still has a equilibrium, racing wise, with previous tracks set in more Earth like situations, proves a point.

That being that the AG League, much like the F1 circuit, is controlled as equally by the pilots as is is by the AG Craft manufacturers and AG ruling hierarchy.

It's aim is to keep the AG racing fraternity close, like a brother/sisterhood, but also keep the creed of fair play and the always preferred motivation of "Let's be Friends" , as the true spirit of Wipeout .

That's what this forum, and it's French partner Wipeout Arena, have always based their membership upon.

Sausehuhn
16th April 2011, 11:48 AM
Part of the whole appeal of WipEout is the setting in which it's presented – a semi-dystopian future of humanity a hundred years from now where technology has advanced in spades and yet corruption and corporate greed reign supreme in cities.

:clap That sums it up perfectly.

Give me more from the WipEout-3-universe, please. And flood it with industrial parks and ugly Brutalism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brutalist_architecture)-inspired architecture. Combine that with the shininess of Ubermall and you have the perfect technology-advanced-yet-ugly-urban-setting :)

And don’t forget the clean graphic design of course.

blackwiggle
16th April 2011, 12:14 PM
We want escapism, not what has become reality for some city dwellers.

QUOTE:
"a semi-dystopian future of humanity a hundred years from now where technology has advanced in spades and yet corruption and corporate greed reign supreme in cities".

Just remove "a hundred years " from that.

Pretty much sums it up atm, that's unless you are of the same mindset as a BP executive.
None responsible, pass the buck, let the politicians sort the mess out for us corporations that are too big to fail, so it's left to governments to "Smooth over" the situation on their behalf.
Then 12 months later pay a huge amount to various PR firms to tell paid off hacks to report that the oil spill has been cleaned up.
When it is obvious to any NONE payed off reporter that that is TOTAL BULL ****.

Actually where is LANCE?

He Lives in Florida, and I have never know him to not speak his mind on an issue like this.
I guess age get's the better of all of us in the end, to the state where it's just not worth standing up for what you believe in anymore.

Chill
16th April 2011, 12:37 PM
"Brutalist architecture" GREAT definition to be using to define XL/WO3 Sausehuhn!! Man if I woulda known about that phrase I woulda used it all over! lol... Perhaps Wipeout could use a little variety in styles through each track... You could even have jetsons architecture in one perhaps! Then one more like Bladerunner! ;)

blackwiggle
16th April 2011, 01:30 PM
NEWS REPORT!!!
What might be happening with the new wipeout in development.;)
All tongue in cheek.

Boris Johnson has been delegated in charge of designing the new wipeouts game stoppages RE:mines,bombs and the new "bike paths" hinderence.

Jeremy Clarkson has apparently been employed as the new Wipeout craft designer.:turd
All are shaped like Jeremy's favorite car, a Le man's Ford GT40 which he can't fit into, even though he has bought the same car twice, and both have broken down.

New track designs are currently under the scrutiny of Mr Magoo,[previously CEO of Hanna Barbabra] who was brought in to overseer proceedings come the eventual Studio Liverpool redundancies in early 2010.

Dark_Phantom_89
16th April 2011, 05:05 PM
Since when has BP and politicians got to do with WipEout? Off topic much?

Anyway, I'd really like a team racing option as previously mentioned, BUT I'd like it based on a progressive points system rather than finishing positions. For example, both teams have a points metre which gradually increases depending on which position they are in. Being in 1st place for an extended period of time would increases the points a lot quicker, whereas if you're in last, the points go up slowly. I think that this would eliminate those ever so annoying moments of getting your position snatched from you at the last second and the other team getting all of the points. In my proposal, this wouldn't matter, because you would have been in 1st place for longer, so your team would benefit from more points.

Oh, and a friendly fire option would be nice. Turning it off would obviously make your team-mates immune to your weapons, however having it on and hitting one of them would decrease your overall team points. :twisted

Chill
16th April 2011, 06:46 PM
On the points scale thing: I think it's better without... That way whoever ISN'T in first place always has the drive to take first place, no matter how much time is left in the race... It's first second or third finish, nothing less... Racing is about tough love, you just gotta make it happen! HOWEVER, if the race was moved from the choice of short race ( up and around 5 laps or so) and you wanted to race longer (about 10 laps or more) this option should be available! ;)

KGB
16th April 2011, 07:02 PM
I'm not bothered what they do with it as long as it gets made and it's fast:+.

I mentioned what seems like years ago now that i would love an in-game chat area, the lobby screen would be ideal for this.

Chill
16th April 2011, 09:25 PM
Oh I would also request the chat thing to be implemented as well... It would be really nice to hear the voice of everyone.. :)

Sorry if I'm posting too much... don't mean to..

stin
16th April 2011, 09:36 PM
Why not just less Barrel Roll than normal and I mean through Pure and NOT HD!! ;)

DawnFireDragoon
16th April 2011, 09:47 PM
this is absolutely the best news! :rock when i heard about a wipeout been made for the NGP, i'd kinda given up on the series. but a new console game would be very, very welcome.

i have to throw my vote in for a game in the style of the original trilogy. drop the uber clean neon future and go back to the gritty, dirty, kind of real feeling wipeout of old.

also, as well as obviously new tracks, Classic League (like in wipeout 3 special edition) is a must in my opinion. that would be great and get old school fans interested too.

and tree's too, HD lacked variation in the environments.

Copernicus
17th April 2011, 12:59 AM
I'd also like to see the return of single air brake. I missed that in HD. I'd also prefer older physics. The vehicles get too much air-time in HD, in my opinion. I'd also like a decrease in the time between side shifts. And I'd like side-shifting to work in the air, and turning in the air being more effective. Being helpless during a jump isn't fun. That's what wheeled cars do, and wipeout vehicles don't have wheels.

Chill
17th April 2011, 09:37 AM
I still can't get over the fact that Sausehuhn mentioned brutalist architecture... I mean just look at the pictures on the wiki site that he posted! Brings the feelings of Wipeout 3 right back home for me... It would be nice to see a track that goes through a city with this kind of architecture, dips underground through a tunnel much like that one (with lots of lights), racing along the higher floor levels of tall buildings, dipping into connecting railing-type tunnels that are attached along the higher levels of these buildings... there would be small patches of grass and flowers around but they would be dirty... with slight liter and dirt all around, but an urban sunny type setting...

Course with Wipeout 3, the futuristic-retro feel along with this of the craft design and it's mechanisms went along with this feel, as well as the music... I feel this is a strong part of it as well... This and the quickness that Wipeout 3 seem to really have (not like the slightly sluggy feel of Wipeout HD)

The style of Wipeout 3 WAS the Wipeout pure adrenaline feeling's prime... I say BRING THE STYLE BACK!!!

And who gives a crap if it doesn't quite follow along with the style of a timeline with the other Wipeout sequals... I think the ability to make a truly great Wipeout should overrule this notion..

I keep editing and adding on to my post because of the growing of excitement that hasn't been inside me since the ruling of Wipeout 3... The more I think about it the happier I seem to get... That's what I want!!

Things like dirty retro-futuristic signs of android and cloning productions (rid of your old robot and purchase a new Jacob here) leaving you a slight sense of (that's wrong) feeling also works... like I've mentioned once a long time before, slightly twisted stuff works well with this...

HELL, even having the little story that YOU'RE and android as a racer and if you lose a race YOU WILL BE DESTROYED and a new android replaces you is a good addition to it... Like you have to hustle the hell out of this race, after all it's the only reason you have for existance... otherwise you're NOTHING... The race for your life, definately a good addition... all the "Let's Be Friends" signs would be more for the fans...

Xpand
17th April 2011, 02:40 PM
HD didn't actually follow the timeline since it happened before Pulse. But a remade WO3 would be awesome. Just thinking about Porto Kora with HD graphics gives me the chills!

Slacker
17th April 2011, 06:04 PM
Just learned about this now, great news! :nod I have just three wishes for a new Wipeout game, and I'll shut up:

1. Recreations of old tracks. And I mean faithful recreations. Not those :turdy flat "neotronic" remixes they made for Pure. Like WO3 Special Edition style, with updated graphics and a few tweaks, but nothing radical or neutered. This would be awesome, imagine Vostok Island or Valparasio in HD. :dizzy

2. Better autopilots. In WO, WOXL, WO3, if I ate crap on a corner or saw that I was just about to, I could launch an autopilot. It would bring me back up to speed and back into the race without a hitch. In Pure/Pulse, if I did the same thing, the Autopilot would still get me rammed into the wall, and then spend the remaining seconds accelerating slowly while I drop 3+ positions. Autoplilots were useful for saving your skin and navigating through packs of contenders, now they don't do any of that. I want to see them stronger and smarter so I don't just end up absorbing everyone. (I don't know if this was fixed in WOHD, haven't played it).

3. My biggest wish: An option to have the camera follow the track instead of the craft. I can break the top five on the leaderboards in WOXL but I can barely even win at Rapier in Pure. Pure's handling is very awkward to me despite it being a return to the kind that I'm really good at, the key thing missing is that camera placement. It really is harder to weave through chicanes and corners while following the craft. I would love to see this return, just as an option so it doesn't have to interfere with anyone else's style of racing. Having this back would definitely make me a serious contender again.

That's my wishes. For a while I thought WipEout was over after all those cuts, so I'm super excited about this. :g

and I suppose one more wish:
4. Deliver me a PS3 free of charge.

ion harvest
17th April 2011, 09:36 PM
Chill has great ideas. I want to be android-pilot and fight for fame and fortune. And if I lose I get recycled into a washer dryer combo. Bring it on. Lol

UB3R~JKP
18th April 2011, 09:21 AM
I dunno...I love WipEout's new look as opposed to the old.

eLhabib
18th April 2011, 11:02 AM
Slacker, interesting that you mentioned the camera angle - I never looked at it this way! Maybe the main reason why the handling nowadays feels so different to the old games is because the camera is now fixed to the craft, whereas it allowed for a lot more movement of the craft relative to the screen back in the day! Good point, they should definitely improve on that! :+

Chill
18th April 2011, 08:20 PM
Thanks Ion... :D

The camera thing it true but don't be expecting any unique camera picture angles any longer! (Not that it really matters considering gameplay is worth much more...)

EDIT: wait a minute, nevermind forgot the simple fact of changing angles of the camera view while taking photos... Been a while since using photo editor...

And I wasn't necessarily saying REMAKE one of the first previous three sequals of Wipeout (the best), more along the lines take lessons from them... Utilize the idea of architecture and the fact that it has a huge impact on the environment of a track design... Think of great architecture designs other than cardboard boxes and talking food to use... And look at different pictures of REAL cities and town all around the world, whether they're large or small, and think about relating there style into a track design... I know one track I've always liked to play, Blue Ridge... Reminds me of one of the towns I use to grow up at, Chelan, Washington state... Now everytime I go there (a really honest to got beautiful town), I think about Blue Ridge... We need more tracks like that which represent specific places in peoples lives, especially those places of which making lasting memories in... Places from all over the world, even a place like the slums of Brazil... buildings and shacks built up on top of one another and a huge clutter on some moutain side among rainforest would be a trippy idea to build a track around and through... It doesn't all have to be really futuristic either, just using the styles from all types of places would make Wipeout seem better than what it is (though having a futuristic twist on it that doesn't take away from a style is what Wipeout should be all about, like the futuristic aspect is blended in with the original feel of the environment and not taking it too far making it seem rediculous)... The whole Wipeout on one island story really puts a hamper on creativity, just sayin'...

Oryx Crake
19th April 2011, 12:51 AM
oooh chill you gave me an idea there a track that scales the mountain favellas behind rio falling back down to sea level and out over the water (doesnt have to be a real town like that scenario but it would be stunning to have that)

Chill
21st April 2011, 06:07 PM
That WOULD be cool... eh it's an idea anyway... ;)

kaori
23rd April 2011, 07:17 PM
A french site have just writing :

Uncharted, ModNation Racers, Smart As & Wipeout 2048 will be available when the NGP will be released.

Link (http://www.ngpgen.fr/lancement-ngp-hors-japon-jeux-actualite-167.html)

gordo1974
23rd April 2011, 08:06 PM
Can it be true?
Give me Gare D-Europe and each track with sector spilt times, so you can see how you're doing on speed laps
Oh and make the fastest speed faster than phantom. I want my eyes to bleed.
And can I have 14 days extra holiday with each purchase. I'm gonna need them

R3BU5ER
23rd April 2011, 08:26 PM
Yeah, but there is no way I'm ever going to buy a handheld computer, so make it for ps3 or it's the end of Wipeout for me :!

greenymac
23rd April 2011, 08:33 PM
i aree with rebu5er

JABBERJAW
23rd April 2011, 11:50 PM
"Wipeout Pure's BR only work when you do the complete rotation and stay upright for a while before "touching" the ground."

I understand this, I mean the roll does not happen under the earlier conditions I mentioned

I like el habibs idea, It's like rock/paper/scissors kinda (midway sports games had this feature. Also, in Quantum redshift, many places you had an opportunity to pick up red weapon/blue weapon/ or shield, but you had to choose one, that was a good idea, so this would be good as well. I liked in that game being able to shield up and rely on my driving instead.

I might like 1)small boost 2) fire 3)shield options instead, that way, you could smoothly race through the track if you chose too, you might not be the fastest not using the boost, but at least you would not come to stops getting hit by random weapons. It would definitely put some strategy behind the game either way.

I would like weapons to slow you down far less, and wall hits to matter more. (like pure), since it is your fault you hit.

I would actually if it came down to it though, would be XL's(not 2097) physics as is, just sped up some, with multiplayer. this would be awesome, just have way more tracks.

blackwiggle
24th April 2011, 02:28 AM
So it's got a name, 2048.
Well this is going to be a retro futuristic racer then, seeing the AG League didn't start until 2050.

Wipeout Timeline.
http://panopticon36.deviantart.com/art/Wipeout-Timeline-203454207

Does that mean NO Barrel Rolls in this new Wipeout?

F.E.I.S.A.R
24th April 2011, 08:16 AM
Is there going to be an overhaul of the racing series,going back to pre-F3600? I'm now very confused...

runingman111
24th April 2011, 08:28 AM
New wipeout :blarg yes there's coming one :turd:turd:turd this (http://www.gamesradar.com/xbox360/xbox-360/news/new-wipeout-game-coming-exclusively-to-kinect/a-20110316163118702044/g-20060321132945404017) :brickwall

Chill
24th April 2011, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the new background blackwiggle... ;)

enough with the stupid wipeout tv show jokes people... that belongs in the off topic forum... please stay on topic, it's just annoying...

2048 huh?? WHOA if this is true it's going to be awesome!!! If it's not on home console they just may have figured out a way to connect it to home console and control with a regular playstation controller... that would be nice... ;)

eLhabib
24th April 2011, 02:47 PM
wipEout 2048, eh? well, the way I see it, that's EXTREMELY good news, because it could actually be exactly what I was hoping for: a complete reboot. Back to the dirty old days, in this case to a time before the official leagues even started! Sounds very underground and very awesome! Now here's hoping the PS3 game will feature the same era since I can't ever be bothered to buy a handheld ever again.

runingman111
24th April 2011, 04:41 PM
New wipEout is only a rumor - nothing more - only for the new Sony Next Generation Portable (NGP) come one title of it and what kind of it rumor rumor ... E3 is only two months away on 7th of June in L.A., with Gamescom shortly thereafter, so if there is a new Wipeout game in the works, Sony would more than likely announce it at one of these two conferences.
Furhter info here (http://www.rolling-start.com/game-news/353-rumor-mill-new-wipeout-for-ps3-is-still-happening.html) and here (http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/33426/Sony_UK_Cancels_Projects_At_Wipeout_MotorStorm_Sin gStar_Studios.php)

blackwiggle
25th April 2011, 01:45 AM
It's not the first time the timeline has gone backwards.
Wipeout HD is set before Wipeout PULSE, but going right back to 2048, well that could be a major shake up for the series.

rdmx
25th April 2011, 03:35 AM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet
Until there's an official press release, I wouldn't hold my breath

blackwiggle
25th April 2011, 04:17 AM
I realize that, but it does sort of make sense if the series were to revert to a pre AG League Wipeout for the NGP.
Hypothetically, for instance if they just removed BR's from the game.
It might simplify the gameplay physics required compared to HD/Fury, requiring less coding = less processing power than it is now, this newly released processing power could be used for retaining the HD graphics, but have it running smoother.

Which could then be used as a basis for a PS3 port running 60fps in 3D mode.
Which is what I think Sony would ultimately be aiming for.

lose BR's and get a smoother running game in 3D

leungbok
25th April 2011, 08:30 AM
Keep BRs and lose the huge pyrotechnics effects of some weapons, quakes must also be greedy for code ressources ! ;)
And also 2048 may be a mistake, it can be 2248 or something !

yawnstretch
25th April 2011, 10:04 AM
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a316159/uncharted-wipeout-for-sony-ngp-launch.html?rss

This sounds like a terrific idea. A while back a few of us were talking about the dirt rally games and how wipeout needs more of this kind of thing.

wipEout needs to get away from the flashy flashy for a while and back to nature :) I'm really looking forward to this!

eLhabib
25th April 2011, 01:20 PM
abso-effin-lutely! :+

KGB
25th April 2011, 01:51 PM
I'm confused now. Is the HD port for the NGP going to be called 2048? If so, what's the new PS3 game that eLhabib mentioned. This thread seems to be about 2 different games in production.

eLhabib
25th April 2011, 02:01 PM
I would assume that they are making the same game (meaning same era, same assets) for both NGP and PS3. My guess is that they are building it for the PS3 and then derivating the NGP version off it. The NGP version will probably be released first (with the launch of NGP, presumably), with the developers then polishing the PS3 version, putting in extra content and whatnot and releasing it half a year or a year later.
Just guessing here, people!

KGB
25th April 2011, 02:13 PM
I still don't understand then as they have already said/we have seen that they are porting HD/FURY over to the NGP, this must be the '2048' they are talking about isn't it?? But then the year isn't right is it, so I'm none the wiser.

eLhabib
25th April 2011, 02:53 PM
how and where did you see HD running on the NGP?

rdmx
25th April 2011, 04:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chuD0UF0Tnk
1:22
That's DEFINITELY wipeout hd

Chill
25th April 2011, 04:24 PM
This is true, but it's very possible that they simply wanted to convey the message that Wipeout will be on the NGP without showing any of the games content... thus they did that... Just thinking, I'd rather have Wipeout 2048 then the same game on an NGP anyway... It shouldn't matter where the game is at on the timeline... it's not going to alter time in reality, the universe is not going to explode... And it offers freedom of direction and creativity, so I say bring it on!

leungbok
25th April 2011, 04:37 PM
how and where did you see HD running on the NGP?

It seems to be an argument of sony saying that even a very technical game as WIPEOUT HD is able to run perfectly on NGP, so we don't even know if they will release it, atm i prefer to believe in El's anounce, lol.

eLhabib
25th April 2011, 05:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chuD0UF0Tnk
1:22
That's DEFINITELY wipeout hd

jeez, man, that's a MONTAGE. Ever heard of those? No, that's not REALLY wipEout HD running on a REAL NGP.

KGB
25th April 2011, 06:09 PM
I'm sure I've read somewhere that they - who ever they are, are very happy at how well HD/FURY has ported over to the NGP. It's probably in this very thread. I'll have a look.

Edit: Found this (http://www.thespeedgamers.com/rumor-sony-talks-ngp-developer-strategy). Maybe they are making a different game though. I really don't know now.

eLhabib
25th April 2011, 06:42 PM
Seems like they did a quick port of HD to the NGP to test its capabilities. It's not the first time they are using HD to test stuff, was the same with 3D on PS3, they did it first with HD. Guess that's because it's one of the very few games running 60 frames on 1080p. I wouldn't think that they'll release a straight port of HD/Fury for the NGP tho.

yawnstretch
25th April 2011, 08:00 PM
I'm excited about the NGP purely because it has two analogue sticks and increased graphical power. wipEout doesn't need two analogues but it does need a successful platform.

When I first heard wipEout was coming to NGP I thought it would be a port of HD but a game set in the early days sounds like a great idea to me.

And when you think about it HD is already a port of wipeout on the psp so then it'd be a port of a port... Something new would be much better!

Medusa
25th April 2011, 09:13 PM
When I saw Wipeout 2048 I immediately thought, "Oh no, some idiot is working on it and messed up the dates."

Haha, we'll see eventually I guess. The idea of the handling and environments being anything like in the F3600 has me excited...if nothing else, it's an awesome rumour!

JABBERJAW
25th April 2011, 10:03 PM
now that you say that about the dates, I think that now, someone messed up the dates.

Sausehuhn
25th April 2011, 10:20 PM
Except for the most confirmed WipEout (port?) for NGP, where does the rumor of a new WipEout for PS3 come from exactly? Did you get official information from somewhere, eL? Or did you read about it?

I’m just wondering because there’re a few too many rumors right now, eh? ;)

eLhabib
25th April 2011, 11:49 PM
I got word, privately and in person, from someone I trust to know what's coming from Sony. This is neither official nor confirmed in any way. I'm just saying that my source never told me anything speculative, nothing that has ever been wrong. That is why I believe it. Make of it what you will - it's enough to get me excited.

Sorry for being so cryptical about this, but I don't know any more than the very fact* that something is coming, in the near future, for PS3.

*fact, as in that source never told me bullsh*t before

Medusa
26th April 2011, 01:48 AM
Cryptic word is better than no word at all!
I trust the 'beeb. :+

stin
26th April 2011, 07:10 AM
That`s good enough for me........................:nod

stevie:D

Sausehuhn
26th April 2011, 07:24 AM
Okay, you got me excited again :P

KGB
26th April 2011, 10:42 AM
Right, so it's not a port of HD :P. In my mind that's what I thought they were doing. Confusion over. Thanks for explaining eLhabib.

If it really is set in 2048 then no BRs :beer

Oryx Crake
26th April 2011, 11:32 AM
I just gotta ask kgb, not at all with the intent of sparking a debate or anything and certainly no offence meant, but what is people's problem with BRs? I mean I get that it clashes a bit with the way earlier titles handled but is that such a bad thing?

on topic:
WOOOOO good news :g

leungbok
26th April 2011, 11:33 AM
If it's really set in 2048, then no weapon :lol

Colonel
26th April 2011, 11:36 AM
I'd be a bit gutted to lose BRs to be honest, I think they make the gameplay more interesting, and as somebody else said earlier, add appeal to the slower speed classes . Not bothered if sideshifts go though, they don't really look or feel very natural.

KGB
26th April 2011, 11:57 AM
I just gotta ask kgb, not at all with the intent of sparking a debate or anything and certainly no offence meant, but what is people's problem with BRs? I mean I get that it clashes a bit with the way earlier titles handled but is that such a bad thing?

on topic:
WOOOOO good news :g

I haven't got a problem with them on HD/FURY, infact I love them. But when they were first introduced in PURE they were broken, I never understood the fact that if you were going to introduce a new gameplay element to something that was fine as it was to begin with then make sure it worked. I stopped BRing in PURE as it drove me crazy that they didn't register properly.

Anyway the :beer was more of a toast for those that dislike them. I'm not too fussed myself.

leungbok
26th April 2011, 12:00 PM
I stopped BRing in PURE as it drove me crazy that they didn't register properly

I assure you that they perfectly works on PURE too, mate ! ;) I even find more interesting to search BR locations on pure than pulse/HD, because there's a little delay to apply before you land in order to make the boost working, it's something i like on pure, your BR-ing has to be perfectly timed or it won't works, this way the extra boost is a deserved reward ! :)

KGB
26th April 2011, 12:14 PM
Not the way I do it mate :D, you already said in another thread that the inputs had to be very fast after you got some air. The time frame to do them in seems more than too quick, even off some of the biggest jumps in the game they failed repeatedly for me. I guess I just wasn't quick enough.

leungbok
26th April 2011, 12:23 PM
Or maybe you anticipate them too much, there's a precise timing to start the input, it's less permissive than HD !
Maybe you can check some of my pure's vids (those without music) you can ear me pressing the left and right buttons when it's the good time to do a BR. ;)

Edit : Lol, in fact i checked myself and i only eared the triggers noise :brickwall Sorry ^^

greenymac
26th April 2011, 12:44 PM
If this game does exist and barrel rolls are still in the game I think that when you have a shield enabled you should be able to barrel roll without losing the 15 shield points. Do you guys think its a good idea or would it possibly make something broken?

Chill
26th April 2011, 03:24 PM
I use to HATE them, woulda never thought about coming up with the idea if I thought of a new Wipeout game in my mind before Pure... but used them anyway to get decent times on the timetables... Now I don't mind them at all, adds some skill to the game... Though I still don't feel they're really that necessary in the game... I don't love BRs either... Just making the game really fast like XL and Wipeout 3 got makes no need for BRs... They were actually harder to control, because they were faster... the thought of BRs in those games woulda been phlabergasping...

leungbok
26th April 2011, 04:17 PM
Wipeout HD/pure/pulse (and in a way fusion) are the fastest games of the serial because of the zone mode ! ;)

Copernicus
26th April 2011, 04:32 PM
I wouldn't mind if the new wipeout has no barrel rolls or side shifts. My biggest problem with barrel rolls is the input to perform them. I fail to get them when I want them, and then get them when I don't want them (usually on syncopia). If I could assign the input for barrel rolls (such as the triangle button) then it wouldn't be a problem. But then I'd be spending energy to gain speed by pressing a button, which is the same as F-Zero. I always though that barrel rolls were a bad emulation of F-Zero's boost system, and I think ditching the "spend energy to gain speed" system would help wipeout maintain its own identity. And I'm convinced side shifts are a total rip-off of F-Zero's side attacks. Wipeout shouldn't be F-Zero.

leungbok
26th April 2011, 04:40 PM
Lol, the good old "one button for BRs" !
I feel that thread slowly going into another BR haters/lovers war :lol

greenymac
26th April 2011, 04:55 PM
Me personally I've only played hd extensively so I only know of the game with barrel rolls. Although I have no true opinion of whether or not they should be in the game, I can see the reason for loveing them and the reason for hating them. But it is interesting to see the diverging point of views expressed when the topic is introduced. Now that I think about it, does it really matter? Barrel Rols can simply be turned off.

Sausehuhn
26th April 2011, 05:30 PM
I assure you that they [Barrel Rolls] perfectly works on PURE too […]

You’re sure about that? I’m playing a few races now and then, and they do not work very often. Same goes for Pulse. And I’m pretty sure they do not work when there’s too much going on. As soon as I’m out of the crowd or playing Time Trials, Barrel Rolls are no problem at all. So – too me – it definitely looks like it’s a problem of the PSP’s limited power.
They work perfectly fine with WOHD on the other hand.

I have a lot arguments pro and contra, but really, the Barrel-Roll-discussion exists since Pure and it’s surely up to Studio Liverpool whether they implement them again or get rid of it.

leungbok
26th April 2011, 05:47 PM
I thought BR hating had nothing to do with the will to compete on TT ! ;)
I can perform amost all the BRs of Hd on pure and pulse. Vids prove it !

runingman111
26th April 2011, 06:53 PM
.. and Curly says”Go”! :+ I wish the feeling of floating come back -maybe Pitlane , Checkpoints and and and... Does anybody know this feeling on track – you must need another handling for your ship as yet on HD? Has anybody played wipEout–wipEout2097-wip3out, at first? Sure some of us have it - but remember … yeah amazing or? Otherwise BR is a reflextechnic and not everybody else can perform it to this higher level like our yedizoners :dizzy lol - no offense meant. We'll wait and see what happens ;)

Slacker
26th April 2011, 07:52 PM
No one likes side shifts? I actually really enjoy these, when used right they can really help you get through corners without losing much speed. Very handy for avoiding corner walls too. I wouldn't miss them much if they were gone, but they're a nice thing to have around.

Oryx Crake
26th April 2011, 09:39 PM
lol Leung thats because you are crazy and have found more than half of the brs we currently know of! for which I applaud and idolize you btw! Arigatou BR-Sensei!

now they did have a speed in exchange for energy system way back in WO3 actually hyperthrust I think they called it, you pushed a button, the exhaust trail went white and you went faster but it used up shield energy. In contrast to HD (dont know about pure/pulse cause I never played them) I think the ships with lower shield strength were affected more by the shield drain in WO3.

Honestly though not sure which I like more.

BUT! I would like to see some kind of similar mechanism in a new instalment simply because it adds, like someone has previously said, an element of skill to the game beyond just having awesome racing lines. I would like to see less shortcuts though... skipping corners to me feels a bit cheap... unless it's done with turbos or something. In any case Less shortcuts.

leungbok
27th April 2011, 06:34 AM
I would like to see less shortcuts though... skipping corners to me feels a bit cheap
Come back of ECS ! :D

Sausehuhn
27th April 2011, 03:29 PM
Only to keep the hype up (http://www.whois.net/whois/wipeout2048.com) ;)

Chill
27th April 2011, 07:58 PM
Guys if this Wipeout does indeed take place in the time it's planning, I hope for all us Wipeout fans who would rather do WITHOUT BRs that it's not implemented in the game... as they were never implemented in the game until Pure... So they never existed. Second, I liked Hyperthrust more period point blank. :P And what I meant by the previous Wipeouts being faster was in game... the tracks were really hard to control because of the insane speed IN GAME, not just in zone mode... I also don't see the reason to hate on side-shift, but I think the idea of this game is to bring Wipeout retro back... Meaning Wipeout retro racing strategy and everything... Not just the look of an older Wipeout with new Wipeout physics, that would seem pointless... You have to master every turn, you HAVE no side-shift to rely on for corrections, that's the point!

SaturnReturn
27th April 2011, 10:55 PM
@Sausehuhn - Very clever. :+ That's the most convincing link yet in my view.

leungbok
28th April 2011, 06:28 AM
You have to master every turn, you HAVE no side-shift to rely on for corrections, that's the point!
I'm sure it frightens all the new wipeouts lover (those with BRs & ss) ! ;)

blackwiggle
28th April 2011, 01:39 PM
Me personally I've only played hd extensively so I only know of the game with barrel rolls. Although I have no true opinion of whether or not they should be in the game, I can see the reason for loveing them and the reason for hating them. But it is interesting to see the diverging point of views expressed when the topic is introduced. Now that I think about it, does it really matter? Barrel Rols can simply be turned off.

Sure they can be turned off, but you try getting a top 100 SL or TT time in any speed class without using a BR.
It's just not going to happen, and that's the whole point of SL & TT, getting as quickly around the tracks as possible.

Pre PURE/BR's everybody was on a more level playing field, you just had to keep the best racing lines, still not easy as there were other handling differences to adjust for, but at least they weren't as hit or miss as a unsuccessful BR is.

I, like many other have difficulty do BR's consistently, some I can only manage occasionally, some not at all [I also find doing all them very tiresome during SL TT sessions, as I can't use the stick to do them, only the D-Pad, and my thumb is red raw after a hour or two session] so my opinion of them is negative over all, and I'd much prefer a new wipeout game without them.

amplificated
28th April 2011, 02:03 PM
Perhaps there should be a stickied thread with all the pros and cons of WipEout with BR's and WipEout without BR's...

I think the BR conversation has been done too many times for there to be any use repeating it. That way you could save a heap of time and effort about people's questions of BR's in the series with a simple link.

greenymac
28th April 2011, 02:09 PM
I mean I'm an old mario kart /f-zero racer so these kinds of games are not new to me. But, this is the first sony system I have owned so wipeout is a bit new to me. But I do think the barrel rolls are quite cumbersome, but it's a part of the game and if you want to be really competitive its something you have to learn. Maybe to try and keep as many people happy as possible they could have the SL and TT rankings divided into 2 sets. One for BR's on and one for off. I just feel that no matter which way they go onthe issue some people are gonna be a little miffed that they didn't have it their way. So, why not let the players have it how they want it. But, then you run the risk of dividing the community.

amplificated
28th April 2011, 02:50 PM
Incoming BR talk... :(

Personally I think the only problem with BR's is the level of difficulty it takes to control your ship to get into positions to execute some of them. There's no way anyone can execute 14 BR's lap after lap on Anulpha Pass, for example - the 3rd, 9th,10th,11th,13th and 14th require a ridiculous amount of things to go right (assuming +3 on the bridge after the classic Zico roll, then 2 after landing back on the main track using the previous boost for air after landing a special way), and those are only the "ridiculous" BR's, there are still others that are only "very hard". Even JF and texasalex wouldn't be at this level consistency. Things that go mostly right are probably a 1/150 kinda deal, even for those guys, although their average is probably a lot better than most people's as well.

I think you should be able to have a better feel for pitch, it would be nice to have a better feel for the dips in the track, and maybe sideshifts should be a little more consistent somehow. Those things are all extremely important for top times on most tracks, and I think they could be polished up. It may even lessen some of the BR hater's hate.

greenymac
28th April 2011, 03:00 PM
I can agree with you on the pitch thing... I feel for as fast as this game moves and requires you to respond, the responsiveness of the nosedown/noseup could be a lot more fluid.

leungbok
28th April 2011, 03:06 PM
It's indeed the difficulty in performing some BRs which makes the rankings totally justified. A top 10 or 100 must be something DIFFICULT to reach, that's all !!
About that a top 100 without BRs is certain on many tracks http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkGDq-aHSXY (still rank 5 global, months ago)

tug_14
28th April 2011, 04:34 PM
" Personally I think the only problem with BR's is the level of difficulty it takes to control your ship to get into positions to execute some of them."

ha ha ha ..........

some guys do
some guys not

it's strange that's often the guy who not pass the difficulty who want change the rules ...
im a crap in venom and flash coz of theses little br but i admit that other can perform and be better than me and if i want to be in front i have to do technics requeired , no secrets ... lap after lap and after lap

amplificated
28th April 2011, 04:55 PM
I'm #8th in the world overall in Wipeout HD Speed Lap. You're 17th.

tug_14
28th April 2011, 05:05 PM
:clap

amplificated
28th April 2011, 05:15 PM
I'm hoping there's a language barrier issue at play here.

SaturnReturn
28th April 2011, 07:11 PM
I think barrel roll conversation has played a big enough part here already now.

Here are some other mini-topics for people to consider.

-What are the things people are looking forward to which aren't feature dependent? Listening to the new soundtrack? Seeing who gets to the top of the tables first? A new generation of WipEout pilots?

-Do you think there'll be a collector's edition? If so, will you buy it?

-Will you still play HD if a new PS3 WipEout is released?

-Will you jump straight into your old favourite ship or try all the options before settling?

Nutcase:259
28th April 2011, 07:35 PM
i hope they keep the same minimalist style design style they've got going on. the HUD's, the logos, the adverts, or maybe take it and make it even more extreme somehow. like i dunno say use Bauhaus as an inspiration and think of what its design styles could have looked like if they had had access to current or future tech and materials

also make it faster!! faster, then add a bit more speed on top of that, i was playing the original wipeout earlier and HD's phantom speed felt slow in comparison to Wipeout 1's venom.

Chill
28th April 2011, 07:46 PM
"Shouldn't be debating BRs" Agreed... especially if the game is already far in developement and has BRs LOL... I might just be knocking a game I hadn't even played it... Don't wanna shoot a game down that hasn't even had the chance to come out yet, especially my beloved Wipeout... "oops, didn't mean to make two posts..."

Chill
28th April 2011, 07:56 PM
If this Wipeout does take place a few years before the original, the tracks and craft are going to need to be MASSIVE... Because we aren't that advanced in the technology yet... And large wind sound-effects like in the first one should take play... maybe even some sound-barrier breakage... Basically I'm hopeing for massive heavy hard and powerful SPEED!!! And no pretty shiny crafts, more like bullet holes and exploding parts...
"oops, didn't mean to make two posts..."

JFthebestJan
28th April 2011, 08:01 PM
QUOTE amplificated: ...There's no way anyone can execute 14 BR's lap after lap on Anulpha Pass...Even JF and texasalex wouldn't be at this level consistency...

14BRs lap? WR is done with 12BRs(myPB)! only robots can perform 13+BRs.
even to perform 12+BRs u need luck! that means the WR is already a very lucky 1 :D

amplificated
28th April 2011, 08:25 PM
I know, here's texasalex's vid and shows how 14 are possible:

http://www.youtube.com/user/texasalex1282#p/u/15/9HycS2_X9KI

He does 12 on his main run, but there are a couple of extra ones he shows at the end that would help get even faster. There may even be an extra one possible on the bridge if you're really lucky.

But that's my point - a lot of that stuff, not only requires skill, but luck as well.

(sorry, didn't mean to continue br talk, just replying to a post)

greenymac
28th April 2011, 09:14 PM
I'm new to wipeout(except for playing the ps1 demo near launch time at my cousin's house) So the BR/NO BR conversation is informative to me as it gives me a better timeline of when certain things were itroduced into the game...

WolfKill01
29th April 2011, 12:13 PM
I just pray that it is something completely new with tracks and a setting to match the 2048 title. What frightens me is that they might've just ported wipeout hd ,MAYBE put some new skins on the ships, and slapped some fancy new name with no thought to wipeout's timelie onto it and kicked it out the door with the hopes of making a quick buck.

I just hope whoever is producing the game has a bit more heart for the franchise then that

RJ O'Connell
30th April 2011, 01:46 PM
If it's really set before the original, this probably means the entire series is being rebooted. Timeline and everything. I wouldn't mind it actually, since it allows for the ability to re-write the rules. If it were just a straight-up prequel, then it would have to be consistent with Wipeout continuity - meaning no eliminations, very limited weapons selection, and only a handful of teams and ships to choose from. And to the average gamer, less stuff = taking a step in the wrong direction.

Regarding barrel rolls...F 'em. Hyperthrust would be the way to go in this case.

Medusa
30th April 2011, 03:55 PM
Okay, for anybody who missed the entire controversy about barrel rolls and doesn't understand why some like them and some do not, go look at the threads here:
http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/search.php?searchid=936067

Most important are:
http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4609&highlight=%22barrel+rolls%22
and
http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5068&highlight=%22barrel+rolls%22

and believe me, anybody who cared about it enough to post about it back then is well sick and tired of even reading about it at this point.

lunar
30th April 2011, 04:41 PM
Another game just set further in the future could be very hard to make look different from what we saw in Pure through to HD. If it is to be set in 2048, it could just be to make the game more interesting for the game designers and the audience, rather than just going further on into what could become a quite bland future setting.

Some of us (certainly me) might like to think it is being set in 2048 in order to recreate something of the first three games' handling and style, and that as certain features of ship piloting haven't been invented in 2048 they can't be in the game, and that as 2048 is historically close to the the start of the F3600 league then the handling must be similar in some way to Wipeouts 1-3. However, back in reality, we have no evidence that Sony see a return to the old style of wipeout as commercially viable at all. There could be plenty other reasons for "going back" to 2048.

Setting it in the "past", in 2048, probably just offers more creative possibilites for the world the game is set in. I think it's unlikely that we will see a "purist" wipeout appealing to veterans of Wipeouts 1-3. However, being set in 2048, before the first official racing of the F3600 league, we have an ideal setting to see some sort of unnoficial racing competion not on "proper" tracks, a Motorstorm style of racing game, with primitive hover cars, and a big online play element There could be Fusion-style "freeform areas" and plenty of shortcuts, like Motorstorm. Having specialist and difficult handling, like in Wipeouts 1-3 perhaps, would make the game less approachable for the online masses. So I wouldn't expect any return to the old handling. All that would be my best-guess, and my worst-case scenario.

Best-case scenario would of course be some return to the old games' handling and all taking place on '"proper" tracks, and that is of course possible and I'm hoping for that :)

Chill
30th April 2011, 05:24 PM
Perhaps there will be a little story mode in it in which we'll get to test the very first A-G Craft... :P We won't have to have broken off track parts lunar, but I was thinking something similar... I didn't have too much against Fusion track design style other than the off-road stuff and track suction thing... Wouldn't mind seeing some racing in some unofficial back alley tracks in the dark dirty spots of cluttered city landscapes, where the roads are no longer even being used as roads above them had been built... Maybe some trashed underground cities no one lives anymore like on the film THX1138 (hence the similarity of my PSN name :P)... It could be pretty cool, racing crafts that aren't even fully built with just the main frames and such...

If you doubt this could happen in 35 years, you never know... human evolution and duplication only seems to speed up...

blackwiggle
1st May 2011, 01:54 AM
I suppose it's down to who is actually in charge of the project as to what direction any new Wipeout will take.

When you consider that Colin Berry told us that it was Sony that sent the word down just before the release of Fury, that no more development on HD or any other new Wipeout was to go ahead.
And subsequently SL had the lay off's a few months later.

Flash forward 10 months and we find SL now advertising for a senior games designer to work on a "High profile futuristic racing franchise", who to quote the ad, will be working under the projects game director.
So that means that in a period of a max of 8 months, feb 2010 [SL lay off's] and oct 2010 [ad being placed], somebody has been delegated project director and a new Wipeout has been given the go ahead.
If we knew who this person is we might have a better chance of guessing what direction this new Wipeout might be heading.

Are they originally from within SL and know the franchise from working on previous Wipeouts ?
Have they been brought in from Evolution?
Or bigBig studios?, which has only done PSP games up until now.

We know Mike Hocking is in charge of Evolution, Studio Liverpool and bigBig studios.
Here's a interview with him done in August last year, just around the time they would of most likely been looking at deciding who was going to get the project managers position, I'm guessing Sony would of told him about the NGP around the same time.
http://www.videogamer.com/news/why_sony_believes_3d_is_here_to_stay.html

Sony's TV division has invested heavily in 3D technology, and god knows how much they have spent promoting it.
It hasn't really taken off as well as Sony would like [Samsung stole their thunder in OZ because Sony was 4 months late coming to market], and most of the 3D games available weren't really designed from the ground up to be played in 3D, so they are less than impressive.
I'm personally starting to think that the only reason Sony decided to reversed the decision not to make a new Wipeout was solely to promote 3D.
I'm guessing the budget for making a new Wipeout would be a fraction of the budget used in one regions 3D promotion, so it would be very cost effective and make financial sense.
Sony would of most likely stipulated that they also wanted the same game, or a version of it to be able to be run on the NGP
Who knows, there might even be a 3D version of the NGP is on the drawing board to counter the 3Ds.

So if this is the case, and no PS4 on the cards for the foreseeable future, they have to design a impressive game that runs on the PS3 at 1080p in 3D, and without the halving of the frame rate that the current HD3D suffers.
So they probably went through each portion of the game to see what's using the most processing power, and how they can achieve there mission brief.
Pretty obvious some form of simplification of the game is going to need occur, so they decide to place the game way back to explain it.
That way they keep the fans [hopefully].

Colonel
1st May 2011, 04:04 AM
That makes a lot of sense blackwiggle, and if you're right then I'd imagine they'd scrap modes like Zone, Detonator and Zone Battle, which would be a great shame.

blackwiggle
2nd May 2011, 12:58 AM
I think Zone mode by itself will stay the same, as there's only one craft racing around the track, and as in HD/FURY, each tracks visuals are simplified to colour tones in Zone mode.
Zone battle is pretty simplistic, so that might have a good chance of staying as is as well.
Detonator is one player off-line, so that might be safe.

I think the biggest cuts, if any, will take place in the weapons, how long mines & bombs remain on track and the visual effects when somebody hits them, same for Plasma, Missiles, Rockets, Quake especially, all their visual effects, as others have mentioned before, it makes the most sense.

The tracks surroundings would most likely take a hit in detail and complexity to maybe FUSION levels.
HUD effect would probably go [good riddance].

I suppose it all comes down to what the current state of 3D programming is as in what can be kept and what goes.
I mean the HD3D we have now is over 3 years old, surely advances have been made since then.

Has anybody played Motostorm Apocalypse in 3D? or 2D for that matter?
It reportable reduces resolution when in 3D mode, I don't know if the frame rate still drops to 30 fps as well, I know it did when show at last years E3.
I saw previews and it seemed more like Destruction Derby than a racing game, a hell of a lot of crashing, so I never bothered.

I suppose since Evolution studios [Motostorm] and Studio Liverpool are under the same management, much the same sort of 3D engine used in Motostorm is destined to be used in any new Wipeout.

leungbok
2nd May 2011, 02:08 PM
I think the biggest cuts, if any, will take place in the weapons, how long mines & bombs remain on track and the visual effects when somebody hits them, same for Plasma, Missiles, Rockets, Quake especially, all their visual effects, as others have mentioned before, it makes the most sense.
No weapons on AG-league until 2080 :p

RJ O'Connell
2nd May 2011, 08:47 PM
^ Uhhhh...pretty sure weapons were around well before 2080 in the timeline.

Unless we're referring to the weapons that are actually capable of destroying ships.

Sausehuhn
3rd May 2011, 09:03 PM
„Sony planning new Wipeout game titled Trinity?“ (http://playstation.systemlink.me/2011/05/sony-planning-new-wipeout-game-titled.html)

Just wanted to deny that rumor, as that domain is registered by Sony much longer (http://www.domaintools.com/research/whois-history/?q=wipeouttrinity.com&page=results&submit=Look+up). Looks more like an old project name or something. I doubt there will be another new WipEout. Let’s see …

eLhabib
3rd May 2011, 10:48 PM
educated guessing on my part:

They are indeed going to use the domain wipeouttrinity.com, as a hub for 3 wipeout titles they will bring out roughly at the same time and which are, in content and maybe even some in-game features, linked to each other. One for NGP (2048, semi-confirmed), one for PS3 (unknown title, rumored), and one for an unknown third platform, supposedly their new tablet. Makes perfect sense to me.

Xavier
4th May 2011, 08:51 AM
Sausehuhn, I just came here to post that!

http://whois.domaintools.com/wipeouttrinity.com

http://whois.domaintools.com/wipeout2048.com

Any Wipeout news is good news!

Xavier
4th May 2011, 02:04 PM
OK, I just read through a whole bunch of old posts, and I want to be contrarian! :rock

Look at what the world has been through in the past decade. Terrorism, wars, fights over resources, massive natural disasters such as two huge earthquakes (with tsunami to match), man-made disasters like the oil explosion (directly related to humanity's ever-increasing lust for natural resources)...

Then, just a few decades from now, Pierre Belmondo does something that changes humanity forever: anti-gravity. The ability to freely manipulate gravity means free energy: no longer do we need fossil fuels, or human or animal labor, to get things from one place to another. If we can manipulate gravity, we're free from one of today's biggest problems.

Now that doesn't mean an instant utopia on earth, but it should usher in an optimistic age! I don't want to see ruined cities, oppressive totalitarian governments, and ugly urban wastelands. We have enough of that right now, in the real world.

Video games in general need to move past the current trend toward nihilist dystopias and oppression -- Resistance, Fallout, Bioshock, Beyond Good & Evil, Half-Life, Vanquish, etc., etc. all offer grim, miserable visions of the future.

Especially after an earthquake that killed 20,000 people, caused billions of dollars in damage, and is still causing electricity shortages, we need an upbeat world that people will enjoy escaping into for a few hours. I want people to look forward to the year 2048 -- it's only 37 years away!

Let's have some locations that inspire people. Beautiful nature, happy cities. How about a track surrounding the launching pad for shuttles to human colonies on the moon and Mars? If we really want some gritty industrial ruins, how about a course built around disused, no-longer-necessary oil rigs -- an ugly but very satisfying reminder of humanity's new independence from old energy sources?

greenymac
4th May 2011, 03:11 PM
I approve of the previous message Big Kudos to your forward thinking:rock

ZixXer
4th May 2011, 03:55 PM
I bought a ps3 for WipEout HD,
and probably wil do the same. If thay make a new ps4 with an awsome wipeout.

ps zone mode is awsome and they cant remove it. because then i dont know if im going to buy it....

title 2048
wasent the old one 2097? so its less futoristic.... do thay still got weels? hope not.

I think thay wanna race in the real world now. dont do that. i want awsome buildings that i can look at for days.

Xavier
4th May 2011, 04:50 PM
Thanks, Greenymac! I just hope I can *play* this new Wipeout -- I live in Tokyo now, and we might be having serious electricity blackouts this summer!

RJ O'Connell
4th May 2011, 08:02 PM
The original Wipeout tracks would fit the billing Xavier, aside from Korodera, but that place is just smog errywhere.

Chill
5th May 2011, 06:32 PM
WOAH!! "Wipeout Trinity" now that gives a lot of opportunity to see many cool new Wipeout styles!!! But it also gives more reason as to why they might not pay particular attention to each one... I just hope the amount of attention that's spent on each of those future Wipeouts would be the same if not more then the amount of attention that would be spent on one new Wipeout game...

Sausehuhn
5th May 2011, 08:55 PM
http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showpost.php?p=197818&postcount=4

RJ O'Connell
6th May 2011, 01:32 PM
That doesn't eliminate the possibility of them re-using that name for a new project, though.

Avenger2197
9th May 2011, 01:53 PM
I can't wait for it. 2048, huh? Sounds awesome to me. maybe wall hits will actually be wall hits, not just, griiind and keep at speed. Lower weapon damage, with a better stopping effect without going backwards would be nice. :)

JFthebestJan
9th May 2011, 04:30 PM
i want "force-feedback wheel" support (logitech and thrustmaster).

or a completely new force-feedback input device with joysticks and alot of buttons and with pedals (like the very big controller from "steel battalion / xbox")

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Steel_Battalion_controllers.jpg

:rock

greenymac
10th May 2011, 08:55 PM
It'd be nice if the tracks can be races not only in reverse, but mirror. Or even mirror +reverse. Just something I thought would make sense.

RJ O'Connell
12th May 2011, 02:57 PM
Whoa - I haven't seen mirrored tracks in a racing game in years...

rdmx
13th May 2011, 08:33 AM
Mostly because reviewers and indeed people alike find it a 'cheap' way to add content

wipeout rocks
21st May 2011, 11:07 AM
sorry if this has already been posted but take a look at this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wipeout_(video_game_series) and go to the GAMES section
theres gonna be 2048 for ngp and trinity for ps3 according to wikiapedia

Slacker
21st May 2011, 10:00 PM
One of the people here probably added that in. Wiki isn't offical, but it's generally kept up to date and accurate by enthusiats of the topic. In that case it would be us.

Cyberio
23rd May 2011, 04:45 PM
According to the french magazine posted a while here, the 2048 one should be the PSP (before F3600?) game, and Trinity the PS3 one.