PDA

View Full Version : Give thanks to your local 24 hour Kinko's!

DJ Techno
28th January 2003, 04:32 AM
A big clap for the Kinko's print/copy and computer shop.

The only Kinko's shop in Columbia for being 24 hours 7 days a week.
Because I wouldn't be online at this late of an hour for nothing! 12:30AM

Maybe yall have a Kinko's you go for whatever you need done.

Synthetic Consciousness
28th January 2003, 11:49 AM
You're a wild man! 8)

Better hope they also serve free coffee! :P

No Kinko's around here, but I am in one of my walking moods...if only it weren't so cold out. And the snow's melted and it's currently raining. Damn screwed up weather! :x

xEik
28th January 2003, 12:20 PM
Since I got a connection in my room it's not unusual for me to do a last check on Wipeoutzone forums at 1:00 or 2:00 AM just before going to sleep.

Living in a campus and using the Uniiversity's Internet acces has its advantages. In fact, it's the cheapest broadband connection I'll ever find.

PRACTICE LEADS TO PERFECTION !

Lance
28th January 2003, 03:08 PM
i can not beliEVE you wimpy people; i'm up till 4 or 5 or 6 AM a lot, sometimes 7 or 8.
oh. wait. i forgot you actually have real lives where you go to work or school. sorry.

damn. i'm gonna have to get some income. sniffle. i'm gonna miss the late nights. [sobs]
[a bunch]

erk. i'm hungry. time for breakfast. [yeah, i'm up early today ;)]

xEik
28th January 2003, 04:56 PM
I'd live at night as well if I could. In fact, that's what I do when I'm on holidays. Going to sleep not sooner than four AM and waking up past noon.

However, I still enjoy going to sleep late when I have classes. In France classes start at 9:40 AM and I live in the campus but in Barcelona they started at 8:00 AM and I lived 30 minutes away from the University so I had to wake up at 7 AM. Some friends of mine could'nt understand how could I be awake every day past 1 AM being it usually 2 AM and sometimes 3 AM or 4 AM. I suppose some people just don't need to sleep as many hours as others. In any case waking up in the morning is hard as hell no matter how long have I slept.

It's like I tend to get stuck into both realms, this one and the one I am while asleep. :D

DJ Techno
28th January 2003, 06:17 PM
lol, hahah..Synthetic thanks..lol
Actually, they serve some drinks and yes coffee for free. Wish the muffins and butterfingers were too.

Lance, do you know where exactually the University of Central Florida is at?
I'm a wimpy person "wimpy people"
thank you :wink:

XEik, using the college's computer is great too. But how long do they stay open?
At the technical college, there open till 9pm. And I have to drive all the way to Kinko's..lol

xEik
28th January 2003, 06:31 PM
Who talked about college's computer? ;) I use my own computer in my room. It's located inside the campus and we use the University Internet acces.

It's a nice LAN, specially for some CounterStrike or Warcraft III. :roll: And the backbone speed is superb. It goes through a firewall, though. So, many services are disabled: Internet gaming, peer to peer software etc. Nevertheless it's still great with other applications like FTP or HTTP.

DJ Techno
28th January 2003, 07:23 PM
my bad! :-?

Your online playing War Craft III, hey I know somebody who also plays War Hammer. :P
I'm still into the game, but all I have is the first one.

Lance
28th January 2003, 09:06 PM
Mike: it's at the northeast corner of Orlando, east of Winter Park, on University Avenue, i think is the name of the street, several miles from me. i was over there a couple of times. once, a friend of mine who was a student there got the use of a couple of their telescopes, a 10 inch Celestron and a standard Questar, and we went up on the roof of the science building and looked at star clusters, planets, and such. a mind expanding experience. awesome sights. yikes, that was about 30 years ago. :o

Wamdue
28th January 2003, 10:24 PM
lance, youre not alone :D

when Im going to be early, its around 00:30.. Late is like 4-5 but Im useally up til 03:00, every night.. and go up at 07.00 schooldays.. its not impossible, the first coffee of the day needs to be a strong one tho. Sleep is overrated :D

lately ive been up reading 1984.. a very good and frightening book, for those of you who have not read it yet, consider doing it.

Dragon
28th January 2003, 11:08 PM
I bet i stay up later than u do lance and wamdue, i stayed up for 3days straight once in the summer trying to finish final fantasy 10 from the begining in exceccive play. Got up to Jecht, then cxouldn't beat him withought using gameshark, got Tidus up to a record of 54,675 HP. everything else was maxed out ;) I've also stayed up later recently doing homework and playing Ridge Racer 5 for Ps2. God i love Power Slides :D

xEik
28th January 2003, 11:20 PM
The use of coffee is considered to be cheating and therefore your times cannot make it into the timetables... err, wait, I guess it's me who needs some sleep. :P Now seriously, I never drink coffee in the morning. Tea maybe but not lately.

1984, uhm... nice one. I like Orwell but, shame on me, I haven't read 'Homage to Catalonia'. I enjoyed 'Animal farm' and '1984' very much though.

Wamdue, if you liked '1984', read 'A brave new world' by Aldous Huxley if you haven't done so yet. Similar but different at the same time.

BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU !

Dragon
29th January 2003, 01:54 AM
hey wamdue, u want a frightning and freaky game for PS2: its called: FATAL FRAME.
Its about this girl Miku who goes to someplace called Hymoru Mansion (dought i spelled it right) in search of her brother who went missing while he went out to find Junsi Takamine, who is supposed to be a famous novilist. The puzzles in the game can get annoying but the story,mystery are all great. I'm not going to reavel any spoilers ;) u'll have to try the game for yourself to here the story :)

P.S. this game is based on a true story :D

Lance
29th January 2003, 03:08 AM
you can always balance coffee with Soma

i don't even drink coffee. it tastes good to me about once every three years, but only with lots of sugar.

caffeine tends to make me too twitchy so i overcontrol the racing vehicles. real-life driving is different though cause of the feedback you get from the inertia forces on your own body and because it doesn't require such small motions of the fingers and thumbs. wonder if that will change when fly-by-wire single-stick controls become common on real cars..

i thought 1984 was quite good, but i liked Animal Farm better. they're both well worth reading, as is Brave New World

lunar
29th January 2003, 03:17 PM
Aldous Huxley might have thought that video games are a kind of electronic soma. On this theme, the books "Red Dwarf" and "Better than Life" are worth a read too. They`re not quite as deep, but are more than quite a lot funnier than Orwell and Huxley.

jmoid
29th January 2003, 03:43 PM
i just went back to work after two weeks off and i'm like a zombie... i need a lot of sleep. 5 more hours in every day and a couple of extra days in each week would suit me fine.

DJ Techno
29th January 2003, 07:15 PM
You guys can stay with coffee.

Because I don't want to even taste a sip of it anymore.
I was drinking the stuff when I was just 13. Started with me and Mathew Harrison back when we were in Boy Scouts. He got a cup of coffee, I asked him "does that taste good" he said "sure" I tryed it. Then I got hooked on it.

The stuff stunts your growth when you drink it at that age that's a fact.
One year of drinking the stuff is enough. :)

Thank you Lance, see I asked you because I am not going to the college exactly. I am going to go see Shelbie Cohen, girl I have been talking to, going out, etc, for now 11 months. :)
You graduated from there didn't you?
I wonder if they might have Kinko's there?

Jmoid the boss must have worked you hard, after you came back from two weeks off?

Lance
29th January 2003, 07:43 PM
no, i never attended UCF. what limited official higher education i received was from a couple of other institutions.

i believe there may be a Kinko's somewhere in the city. just possibly. they certainly have plenty of otherwise similar competitors here

xEik
29th January 2003, 09:06 PM
I love the slogans in 'A brave new world'. I wouldn't dare to translate, however, because I read it in Spanish. But none is as popular as 'Big brother is watching you' from 1984.

Uhm Soma... No thanks :wink:

Lance
29th January 2003, 11:17 PM
i think my favourite doublespeak slogan from '1984' is:
''Freedom is Slavery''

AmishRobot
29th January 2003, 11:25 PM
Living in a campus and using the Uniiversity's Internet acces has its advantages. In fact, it's the cheapest broadband connection I'll ever find.

Maybe it's just me, but considering the cost of higher education, I think you'd probably get by a little cheaper at Kinko's. ;)

xEik
29th January 2003, 11:29 PM
But I get an education for the same price ;)

Besides, I think that European public universities (which are in general better than private ones) aren't really expensive.

I'm not sure how is it in the States.

Preferred slogan from 1984 would be 'War is Peace', doublethinking was really fun :D but I can't avoid comitting thoughtcrime. :P

Task
30th January 2003, 04:54 PM
8 D Yay, old books! My favourite was always "Double-plus un-good". It's surprising how often you can work that phrase into a conversation, then you can judge how well-read the audience is by their reactions.
I remember reading Animal Farm when I was really young, I thought it was a great story about farm animals and I wondered why they said all these strange things. 8 ) Then I read a "quick review" of it years later and I was all, like "Oh!" as the subtexts suddenly became blaringly obvious. I could never get through 1984 as I found that it kind of dragged and I moved on to better written books. I really enjoyed the movie "Brazil" though, (it's got a lot of similarities to 1984 and Brave New World) and that's my unique contribution to this discussion. 8 D
Oh yeah, coffee is good, Kinkos is handy if you have no other options. Just to, you know, stay on topic or whatever. Why do I even try? I don't know...

Dragon
30th January 2003, 09:12 PM
Sighs, this is starting to turn back into the WipeoutFusion Fourms...........
We gotta try and keep things on topic ya no.

xEik
30th January 2003, 09:20 PM
I see no one bragging or flaming. The comparison hurts. ;)

Going off-topic is a minor sin we allow ourselves from time to time. :) :roll:

Lance
30th January 2003, 11:24 PM
i believe Dragon's comment is itself offtopic.
as is the one i'm making now. ;)

Wamdue
31st January 2003, 11:18 PM
and the topic is in the general discussion folder, so I think its a wee bit more accepted to go off-topic here than in any other part of the forum.

Dragon
31st January 2003, 11:29 PM
lol And now back to Wipeout....

DJ Techno
1st February 2003, 05:30 PM
i think my favourite doublespeak slogan from '1984' is:
''Freedom is Slavery''

Ok?
Is this book really that good to read?
And maybe, I could use it in a project someday, and have the tech boys at Kinko's make my presentation copys! :wink:

xEik
1st February 2003, 06:14 PM
I think it's worth reading even if it's just to discover the book where the character of Big Brother originated.

I'm not sure if it's just a stereotype but some people in Europe think that many of those living in the USA are biased regarding things like Cold War. You know, people thinking that Comunism is the root of all evil when in fact it's nothig more than a political system.
I don't know, but the other day I was seeing a documentary about the chess championsip Boby Fisher won and I can really believe how much politized it was. Obviously, it was politized by both sides, I'm not blaming any of the parts but I find some things shameful for both.

DJ Techno
1st February 2003, 06:26 PM
Well if you say Communism is the root of all evil.

Your no better than Mr. Senator back in the 1950's (Lance might no who I am talking about) that publicly annouced that anybody who was a commy is to be arrest or watched. Danger to the Security of the United States of America.

Bobby Fisher? See the movie? Very good!

Lance
1st February 2003, 07:03 PM
Joseph McCarthy is the man you're thinking of. a very bad, a very incomplete and poor example of human. i think that even in the 50's, he was regarded by many people as insane or just ruthlessly ambitious politically and desirous of fame for the sake of his own ego, not so much driven by actual concern that communism was Evil.

do you mean the movie ''Searching For Bobby Fischer''? i've seen clips and heard good things about it, but i think it was not really about Bobby Fischer, but about the child chess prodigy who was perhaps a fan or who wanted to follow in his footsteps? there may have been an actual Bobby Fischer biography film, too, though. maybe that's the one you mean

DJ Techno
3rd February 2003, 04:32 PM
Yep.

For anybody who hasn't seen this move. And really enjoy to playing the game of chess. Its good to see this movie!
It's like another movie. In the search for Bagger Vance. But wasn't that a real story?

Dragon
3rd February 2003, 11:56 PM
Heres a good book(or series) which has been made into two movies the third is in December i believe "The Lord Of The Rings" one of my favorites next to Harry Potter Lol. Anyone see the Second LOTR yet?

DJ Techno
5th February 2003, 04:55 PM
yes I saw the movie.

Dragon I told everybody about the movie a while ago, while you were gone? :wink:

My reactions to the movie, were the same toward the first movie, and I didn't even see the first one.

The second one has it's sorry scenes, its good scenes that woke me up (action scenes), and the scenes with Sniggle (what's his name?) has the worst case of split personality I have ever seen.... :lol:

And as for Harry Potter.... no comment!!!

Lance
5th February 2003, 05:45 PM
''My reactions to the movie, were the same toward the first movie, and I didn't even see the first one. ''

hmm... no comment necessary on that remark. [either that or i'm stunned speechless]

this topic is a broken thread; let's tie it up or get out