PDA

View Full Version : (SSGX Origins) Let's make a Wipeout game! This time for real!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15

docfo4r
26th April 2013, 10:26 PM
Cool :)

Well we of course will update you guys as soon as we got news regarding our decisions of BR, or any legal issues about it!

Shiftdelete
26th May 2013, 01:38 AM
Hey everyone. I am aware of the large amount of racing music made for the game, but I also know the soundtrack list isn't final, so I'm gonna go ahead and post this here: https://soundcloud.com/shiftdelete/to-the-finish

Download link here (https://www.dropbox.com/s/cv5sg7sv7hub094/shiftdelete-to_the_finish.mp3).

Enjoy! Feel free to use it in SGX.

docfo4r
26th May 2013, 08:42 AM
Sounds fresh, I like it. Gonna download it and add it to the "big list" [where ALL music goes until the rest of the game is done - then we decide how many tracks to include and which to make the cut]! So, no fear to post musics :)

feisar rocket
2nd June 2013, 12:38 PM
Yo, just coming back to see what's good! Hahaha you miss me? ;)

AG-SYSTEMS
8th June 2013, 10:08 PM
Moving this from a different forum section.

I have a idea for if you miss a barrel roll.

You get half of the resulting boast if you had successfully performed 2 or three of them.

So, if the boast increase from doing a second barrel roll is 30/40%, and you start to perform a second and you fail, you get 50% subtracted from if you had done two.

Same thing for failing to perform the third barrel roll. You get 50% subtracted from if you had performed 3 barrel rolls.

I haven't played Wipeout in some time. So I apologize for my absence.

JFthebestJan
29th June 2013, 01:18 PM
M$ has signed a deal with Unity, so SlipStreamGX could be possible on a console :)
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-15393-Microsoft-Partners-With-Unity-For-Windows-8-and-Xbox-One-Support.html

Amaroq Dricaldari
29th June 2013, 06:07 PM
I do not want to see this masterpiece on the Microsoft Financial Singularity System. Just my two cents.

Darkdrium777
30th June 2013, 03:13 AM
Ahahaha, no. Xbox One does not allow indie to self publish. You will definitely not see a Wipeout clone on a Microsoft platform, get real. This deal is also available only for Unity games developed with funding by Microsoft. These guys can't afford a Unity license anyways as they can't charge for their work, lest there be legal repercussions. Nail, meet coffin.

Xpand
30th June 2013, 11:42 AM
Yeah, it's impossible. To put it simply, in order for that to work we would have to have the aproval of Sony to develop a Wipeout clone (which is kind of a grey area even if we don't directly reference Wipeout at all, like they told us not to) for Microsoft, with Microsoft's support for a replica of a Sony game.
Might aswell ask for money to rain.

Amaroq Dricaldari
30th June 2013, 01:43 PM
And of course, nobody with sense likes the XBox One. It is like the iPhone.

"The iPhone 5...
...when you have more money than sense."

TypeProton
5th July 2013, 08:00 AM
I thought some of you didn't use Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/SlipStreamGX). So an eye candy for you. :)
Draco Cavernae's spectator stand. The track is nearly finished.

http://i.imgur.com/suUWXSw.jpg

Amaroq Dricaldari
5th July 2013, 08:14 AM
Don't go overboard in the HDR department, guys :P

kowareta|vojeet
5th July 2013, 09:06 AM
Sounds fresh, I like it. Gonna download it and add it to the "big list" [where ALL music goes until the rest of the game is done - then we decide how many tracks to include and which to make the cut]! So, no fear to post musics :)

Where is the big list?

Xpand
5th July 2013, 10:00 AM
So far we don't have a general list, just a bunch of files in a folder.
However we do have some of them in our soundcloud page:
https://soundcloud.com/airtime-productions-devtm

zero3growlithe
6th July 2013, 04:44 AM
Testing ships stats on hardest track so far in SSXG :g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMuLkeqBfgE

MyNameIsBom
6th July 2013, 08:15 AM
I've been lurking in this thread for quite some time now. I must say, the progress you guys have made is amazing ^_^ Can't wait till it is officially released!

docfo4r
6th July 2013, 08:34 AM
Thanks alot :) Well, the officially final release is still far in the future, but we plan to release a new demo this summer including more tracks, ships, AI and maybe weapons aswell :)
Thanks for lurking and staying interested :)

AGSys
7th July 2013, 06:08 AM
This is a really awesome test run. You can feel the sense of speed in the ships. I assume you'll be adding more things like HUD disruptions and motion blurs to enhance the looks? I feel like this is a perfect mix of all the WipEout games made so far (which sorta makes it the best kind of fan-made game :P). It's got the first game's levity when you're in the air and also the acceleration is very similar in some cases, it's got a mix of Pure and Pulse's turning physics, and it's got a mix of Fusion/HD's environments. Damn impressed right now. Just a question though, are you going to change the way the BRs look when executed? As it can be seen in the video, they turn a bit more than 360 degrees when the ships are about to land and sparks come out when they make contact with the ground which (I presume) will affect your speed. (Or is that the double BR thing that people kept mentioning?)

docfo4r
7th July 2013, 09:45 AM
Hey, thanks for the kind words :)

I assume you'll be adding more things like HUD disruptions and motion blurs to enhance the looks?
Yeah, we wish and plan to. Unfortunately, Unity Free is very limited when it comes to image effects [no dof, no blur, no heat distortion] so that is another reason why we need Unity Pro, to give SSGX the details in looks that it needs to not come across "flat". We will include a donation button on our homepage soon for the first move so every helping hand is appreciated.

(Or is that the double BR thing that people kept mentioning?)
Don't worry, the speed on landing will barely be affected if you successfully performed a BR. And yes, this is at one part a preparation for the multi barrel rolls, on the other side we had the feeling that the br's in WoHD looked a bit "static & programmed" so we added some more physics to it like overturning on rotating.

JABBERJAW
7th July 2013, 01:25 PM
I like how the brs look now. Also, blur I felt never added anything to wipeout, just a false sense of speed, and making the background look worse while you are doing it. The older games the turbo just looked fast, and the background still looked nice.

docfo4r
7th July 2013, 02:07 PM
True, we will take care not to extravaggate with this tools in case we can access them some day. Blur I think could happen on the overall screen shortly when a missile or rocket flew into your ship - next to the above mentioned heat distortion and some nice explosion :D

Xpand
14th July 2013, 02:14 PM
We have a donation button on our website (http://www.slipstreamgx.com).
If anyone wants to help us gather enough money to get Unity Pro you can use that donation button! :)
Lots of cool stuff awaits if we end up getting Unity Pro!

Darkdrium777
15th July 2013, 01:38 AM
Yeah, don't know why you guys didn't go with UDK in the first place... It's completely free without limitations like Unity, and remains free if your game is noncommercial. $1500 is a hefty price to pay. :/

Xpand
15th July 2013, 02:45 AM
UDK was a considered (I have it installed) at first but the thing is a nightmare to work with, plus it's very innefficient at using the computer's performance if you don't know how to use UDK well. It would be a good choice had we already have any experience at game making and working with UDK.

amplificated
20th July 2013, 02:35 AM
Don't know if this has been addressed at some point already, but does this game live up to it's name in any regard? I.e., if you can play against AI or, if there's multiplayer, other people, can you get a speed boost by hanging in their slipstream? Don't even know how that would make sense with rocket boosters firing spent fuel in your face at the same time, but was still curious.

docfo4r
20th July 2013, 08:43 AM
Slipstreaming is on the list. But we also gotta check if it is even working. While it makes fully sense in Nascar races for example, where you can hang onto other ppls arses, do bump drafts and slingshots, this all seems to be a bit hard for such an agile racing game like SlipStream GX. But it is on the list and once we got the code ready for it, we will see how it looks and feels...

Shiftdelete
21st July 2013, 01:09 AM
I'll probably donate a few euros when I can. You guys are doing such a great job on this project.

docfo4r
21st July 2013, 07:52 AM
Thank you so much!! Every bit helps :)

MyNameIsBom
22nd July 2013, 05:03 AM
You guys could think of some fundraising projects to earn the money towards Unity. You could sell stuff, do the classic lemonade stand? etc. etc.
I will hopefully be donating some money in the future now that I have a job :)

docfo4r
25th July 2013, 04:33 AM
Thank you man. Every single donation helps. If many ppl donate just a little bit, nobody has to donate much :D

We also discussed kickstarter but came to the conclusion that currently SSGX is in an early stage and we are not sure if we can get that much followers for it, we only have one track fully completed and still we fixed some issues recently. So for now we want to see how far we come with the donations.
Of course we are thinking about some sort of bonus for everyone who helps us out on the Unity Pro money collection ;) since this kind of help [money] isn't something we like to ask for but really helps and means alot for us :)

And congrats for your job!! :)

Loque
7th August 2013, 11:38 AM
Out of interest, why haven't you chaps considered going pro with this? There are a lot of games that somehow get made that are much worse. As you've stated, kickstarter is a viable option, as is gaining sponsorship from external sources, as is working with gaming development studios. Wipeout is a true vintage gaming series, I think that if you guys were to get your house in order and come up with viable plans there's a strong chance that you could attract some investment. The game itself needn't be particularly high budget and a small team could actually work together to create something really quite decent.

Even with a bit of additional marketing you may be able to attract an industry professional to your cause. Imagine just how much better everything would work if you had a keen modeler working with you? It's something that could well snowball. In terms of getting further funding, the industry is looking very favourably on 'indie' games at the moment, and it may be that you could work to get assistance from a studio.

For the record, I have worked as an independent software developer for the past few years, and have since moved into software analysis. I'd state that getting funding for projects is not as hard as it may first seem, it's just that a lot of organisation's marketing is poor and management direction isn't up to scratch, and they are two things that set alarm bells off from the perspective of an investor. Of course, I am willing to lend and share what I have learned over the years with yourselves.

Regardless, the above is just a thought; I don't wish to upset the status quo with your group, but I guarantee you there are a lot of people who would like to see another high quality wipeout game outside of these forums.

Xpand
7th August 2013, 01:51 PM
To be honest with you, we're only making the game for the fun of it. We have no intention of going pro. Our current life doesn't allow it, actually. We're enjoying the project a lot and we don't really want to pay some other studio to do it for us. ;)

Loque
7th August 2013, 02:31 PM
That's cool, just wondered if there was a good reason behind it. :) Keep up the good work.

burt_ie
12th August 2013, 09:21 AM
Wow, this project has come a long way since I checked in last! You guys are fantastic. I cannot wait to see this finished and play it :)

Donation sent :)

docfo4r
12th August 2013, 09:31 AM
Wow dude :D Thanks alot. Donation received. Thank you very much for the contribution. We appreciate it alot! And yeah, we cannot wait to see it finished either :D A new demo is in progress btw ;)

docfo4r
13th August 2013, 09:10 PM
We have a new video blog for your guys to check out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzfcsP6I-HU
In there you can see zero3growlithe and me doing some coding on weapons, hope you will like it :)

feisar rocket
16th August 2013, 07:10 PM
Hey guys, been wondering how you been!
Of topic much ^

Pretty sure I know nothing now about how far you guys are but sure hope it's good!

All the best

Feisar rocket.

docfo4r
16th August 2013, 09:08 PM
Hey man,

we're all doing good. Working hard so to say :D :D
TypeProton is delivering some sketches and reference photos of his track Hubian and dreadofmondays is modeling it and also takes care of some stuff on the website at the moment.
Xpand is modeling. He was working on the Zepher ZY [prototype ship] and now does some flying cameras in between.
BrunoDG, zero3growlithe and me are coding on menu, AI and weaponry ^^
And Hellfire_WZ is recording some information speeches for the teams.

A few tasks have yet to be done for the next demo, but we are on a good way.

Do you use Facebook? Lots of WIP pictures and screens get shared there, you could say daily :)

feisar rocket
17th August 2013, 01:01 AM
Haha I see @doc

Seems like everyone got something to do, haha.
The ship sounds like it'll be a sexy machine to hit the tracks! Is the next track coming nicely also??

What's left for the next build??

Of course I have Facebook Shamarski Simon, add me up!

Oh and like always, I'll like to read the track descriptions that's been coming in. Pretty sure they'll be a good read. :)

P.S. I hate the opera browser... It made me type this 3 times

DDD113
17th August 2013, 06:15 AM
Just a suggestion that would make many people's lives a whole lot easier: could you guys make the speed pads yellow and the weapon pad red like in TypeProton's illustrations of Hubian? Right now, they are impossible to distinguish until you are right upon them, which makes their placement hard to learn as well. Not trying to nitpick here, that would just make the game feel a lot smoother and save some eye strain.

docfo4r
17th August 2013, 07:22 AM
That is a good point you brought up there. I also thing the pads should receive more color. I'll discuss this with the other guys, we also need to make sure this color shines at night time races so you can see it then aswell!

DDD113
17th August 2013, 04:09 PM
Yeah that would look really cool in night races, especially over the really dark sections. Thanks for considering my idea, you guys are doing a fantastic job. I found out about this project in June (which sucked cause I missed the Christmas TT) and I was just blown away by the level of detail you guys have put into your work. The ships and tracks look spectacular, I love the natural ideas with them, and it looks like you're moving steadily on toward the next demo. Keep up the great work guys, it looks fantastic!

docfo4r
17th August 2013, 05:19 PM
Thanks alot for the kind words :)
Ideas and feedback is always welcome. But we are also curious^^ How did you find out about this project?

Well speaking of graphical detail we might be a bit limited by Unity Free [no camera effects, heat distortion etc.] but we try to compensate this with details in physics and environment. And besides, we are also collecting money through donations to get a licence of Unity Pro and then we can make the game even more eye-catchy :) The next demo is hopefully to be finished soon next month.

And in case you haven't had the chance to play the Xmas release, here is the link for downloading, dreadofmondays digged it out :)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/m37b7195bmg18zq/SlipStream+GX+-+Christmas+Edition+Fix.rar

rdmx
17th August 2013, 06:39 PM
How are your menus looking right now?

DDD113
17th August 2013, 10:15 PM
I was just looking for some concept art from the cancelled ps4 WipEout game, and I came across this forum. I looked at some of the threads, and I was intrigued by the one that talked about a community-led AG racer, so I clicked on it and I have been hooked ever since. I have the Christmas TT and over the course of the past 2 months I have improved my original time of 3:13:63 (I sucked SOOO bad) to 2:08:77 after some hours of dedication. You know, at first, I really didn't like how narrow the tracks were, but once I got a good feel for the ship handling, I really like it. The WipEout tracks are so wide that it's not even a challenge to post a perfect lap at top speed, but that is not the case with SSGX. I always love a challenge and I love that the tracks bring out the best and worst in players, and make racing line crucial. I think it will be fun to try to set up passes on AI, and the weapons are looking spectacular! I cannot wait for the next demo! :)

Xpand
17th August 2013, 10:59 PM
Hey! Glad you liked the game. The track in the Christmas TT is probably the hardest or second hardest of all in the game. So it added to the shock of being used to Wipeout and then playing SSGX. We don't really want the game to be too easy. We want players to actually try and better themselves instead of playing the game through once and then abandon it.

Just to clear up something you said: the "PS4 Wipeout game" wasn't really cancelled because it wasn't a game, it was fan art made by one user (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/member.php?539-Sausehuhn) of this forum. If you notice it has a lot of elements from Wipeout 3, the Feisar ship being the most noticeable one since it was made using Wipeout 3 concept art. Guess this stunt tricked a lot of people! :D

DDD113
18th August 2013, 12:04 AM
Oh, yep, I just Googled 'WipEout Deceit' and found Max Fraundorfer's page. It had a convincing look to it, and some future ties to WipEout Fusion (Katmoda Project, Overtel). Well, I have to commend him for his work, it looked good. Thanks for the heads up so I don't make a fool of myself somewhere else! :) Yeah, now that I've gotten used to the track width, I actually like it better than WipEout because it presents more of a challenge; something to strive for, even in TT mode. It also makes it so hard to hit every speed pad and not hit a wall, making the Christmas TT still fun to play just to try and improve my time. Can't wait to tackle the AI, and the prototype ships look amazing. Do you have any ideas for a Logos Prototype yet? Anyway, it's coming along great. Keep up the good work!

docfo4r
18th August 2013, 12:09 PM
Hehe well at the first moment I also thought these are first concept arts for a new WipEout :D His work is amazing!

And yeah, the track width is something that is really tricky, it not only makes it harder to navigate the ship, but it is also not so easy to use straight forward weapons like the Cannon or Tractorbeam. Actually I for myself can only fly really good when using the controller, the keyboard is not sensitive enough for me :D

Modeling of the Logos prototype didn't start yet afair, but Xpand already had some sketches drawn. Why you ask? You have any ideas you like to bring in? If so, never hesitate :D

DDD113
18th August 2013, 10:14 PM
Alright, well I put a little time into designing a craft that hopefully will catch your interests in a good way. Eager for some feedback on this one! :)

Top View

Side View

Compared to standard Logos

I’m not good at perspective views so I didn’t do one here. As you can see, the ship has a hole in the middle of it and the very front of the cockpit extends into this gap. I think this fits the Logos team well because their ships are made for speed and this would reduce weight. Also, the craft's rear wings do not extend as far, which as well would be more aerodynamic, yet still reduce handling. I know I'm not the best artist and you can take my designs and modify them and then re-post them. You can smooth out the corners, or make the hole more jagged instead of smooth. Also, you might want to make the cockpit blend into the body a little better (Just noticed that compared to the standard Logos). This ship is shorter and slightly wider than the standard Logos, and also has less weight. It retains the sleek look and speed-centered ideas of Logos. Pleas give me your feedback and opinions! I'm eager to hear them! :D

- - - Updated - - -

I couldn't stand that cockpit now that I noticed it. Here's the fixed version:

Fixed Side View

Looks much better now, eh? It sure reminds me more of Logos! :)

Xpand
19th August 2013, 11:31 AM
Hmm, I don't really agree with the stubby wings and the hole in the center.
To be honest it look a bit WO Pure Goteki-ish.
The profile view is more reminiscent of LOGOS, though...

These are the two possibilities we have. As of now we're thinking of making the top version:

DDD113
19th August 2013, 01:10 PM
Well thanks for looking anyway. I took my inspiration from pure's Goteki. I know it was kind of a radical idea, but I figured you already had something like this, so why not throw it out there! I love the bottom drawing you guys made (you guys are much better than me! :)) it reminds me of the modern Icaras ships. It looks sleek and sharp and definitely fits the Logos style. The top one's good too, it's just very similar to the stock craft. The bottom one has a different body style, but keeps the sleek Logos vibe. I like that alot. If you ever make a SlipStream GX 2048 I would have some more credible ship designs from that style. :)

TM.Mordred
23rd August 2013, 12:00 AM
hey guys, i've been watching your progress for quite some time now, and i like how it's turning out!

some input i'd want to put in:

i'd hopefully like to see some ship damage, be it an altered 3D model or just a simple texture change. Given that all of the fan-created car models for the game TrackMania 2 are required to have damaged versions, it can't be that difficult to pull off.

one more thing:

i've been hearing that the PlayStation Vita is becoming quite the safe haven for indie games, given the huge success of games like Thomas Was Alone on the platform. ;)

Xpand
23rd August 2013, 01:13 AM
We talked about damaged ships one time and we came up with two possibilities:

Display damage by warping ship's mesh via vertex manipulation.

^That we don't know how to do in Unity3d. Don't even know if it's possible.

Display damage as texture paint.

^Most likely option to go with.

Damage models are out of question because they're a resource sinkhole. Too little damage models and the damage becomes repetitive and stupid, like the right side being damaged when the ship hits on the left side. Too many damage models and the game will weight n*18 playable ships*2MB (average space occupied by a single ship model) times more, being "n" the number of damage models if we don't count texture damage.

But as of now we're not really thinking about implementing damage in the near future or if we're going to do it at all. We're more interested in finishing all ships and menus and all the basics in terms of game modes and etc.

rdmx
12th October 2013, 06:20 PM
Reading through your website, it dawned on me how odd the 'Zepher' backstory is.

The Japanese team are named after a Greek god of wind, despite Japan having no shortage of meaningful words or gods. It wouldn't be so odd if there wasn't also a Greek team (LOGOS).

Xpand
12th October 2013, 10:07 PM
Three of the teams have greek names: Solaris, Helios, LOGOS and two of them come from countries other than Greece.
Zepher (not Zephyr) is just a variation of a greek name. Amphithere also has its model name in Latin: Amphithere Draco Americanus Model 14 (Amphithere AM14)

It's just a preference for classic mediterranean civilization names.
Plus Zepher's backstory was made a long while after the ship and team was thought of and done. So I think that inconsistency is a product of that. But honestly, it's just a name. Like I said, many other teams have names that don't relate to their country of origin.

Jonny
12th October 2013, 10:41 PM
As a weak example:van-Über.
"van" is the dutch word for the german "von",that means "of/by"

dreadofmondays
13th October 2013, 01:36 PM
Here's something interesting. A teaser trailer for our october demo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPj6VmulOvI
Get hyped!

rdmx
13th October 2013, 04:30 PM
First 3 seconds - those light flares are rendering through the building and the ships.

Also it'd be good if you could make the camera FOV adjustable if possible. I don't think I'd ever normally say this, but the default is a bit too high. Looking forward to trying it though!

Xpand
13th October 2013, 04:42 PM
Yeah, unity has a problem with light flares. They WILL shine through any non-collision objects. The problem then is that making them detect collisions is useless to the gameplay but it also weights on the performance.

AGSys
14th October 2013, 03:10 AM
WHOAWOWOWOWOWO. I'm nothing short of amazed (x3) at this point at what this game is shaping up to be like. It looks stunning! It also seems to carry on that traditional WipEout sense of speed, oh man I seriously can't wait to play it. Do you guys think you could port it to PSP/Vita or PS3 by any chance?

Xpand
14th October 2013, 07:27 AM
Not without Sony's permission and SDK.

vincoof
14th October 2013, 01:09 PM
Do you guys think you could port it to PSP/Vita or PS3 by any chance?
TL;DR: almost everything is possible if you put the money and effort into it, but I guess it won’t make it in the near future (or even in the distant future) because of many parameters, including —but not limited to— the SSGX budget, the SSGX development process, the console hardware, the Sony developer license agreement and the Unity business model. And maybe because of copyright issues too.

While I’m not a SSGX developer, I am a developer in real (?) life and I think the question could deserve a topic for itself as many fellow wipers here would be very happy to see this game coming to the PS Store (or whatever means could allow us to play this game on PS consoles). I’m too lazy to read again the 300+ pages of this topic but I’m also pretty sure this question has been asked before. Please note I am not affiliated to the SSGX development team (even though I strongly encourage the game development as many of us here) and this post only reflects my point of view.

Technically, on the software side, today this is not really possible to port the game unless you rewrite all the SSGX code for the Playstation consoles, which is not reasonable considering the SSGX team already has alot to do… and they don’t have alot of money to help them. As far as I know SSGX is developed using the Unity engine and porting an Unity game to PS is not possible yet. Fortunately, Unity and Sony announced recently (http://unity3d.com/company/public-relations/news/sce-and-unity-form-strategic-partnership) (march 2013) they were working on an addon for Unity which is called Unity for Playstation and is "scheduled to be rolled out this fall". I know I know, fall has arrived and the addon is not ready yet. Unfortunately, the addon in itself doesn’t bring the game instantly to the consoles. Please note the addon probably won’t be free (and the SSGX team, unlike my tailor, is not rich) and the addon is designed to run games on PS3, PS4 and PS Vita but not the PSP or any of the former consoles.

This leads us to the next problem(s). First, another technical problem, on the hardware side this time. Consoles are much less versatile than Personal Computers. It is very common to have a game that runs more or less smoothly on a PC depending on the price you want to spend on the computer. Most games give you options to raise or lower the quality of the game (mainly graphical settings) to adjust how smooth or how good looking you want to run the game. In the console world this is not acceptable, especially for a racing game where you have to display the game as smooth as possible. I for one could not play a racing game running lower than 30 fps, especially not a WipEout-like game (and I have yet to thank Sony for making WipEout HD running at 60 fps). Making SSGX to run smoothly on e.g. a PS3 would mean that the level designers and ship designers should adjust the polycount, the texture resolution, the shader quality and things like that for every track, every ship, and every other effect around (like weapon effects). It would take a huge amount of effort from the team to get even an acceptable quality, or even to make it work at all, and they would have to do it again every time they include a new ship, a new track, a new weapon… not to mention they would have to do it for every gaming console the game would be ported to. Sometimes they may need to remove some visual effects because the hardware couldn’t render them smoothly or couldn’t render them at all. From a player point of view, all these things would obviously hurt the gameplay experience. From a developer point of view, this also means the team would need to store different versions of the ships/tracks/etc which would add logistics complexity as they would support new consoles.

Secondly, from a licensing point of view, Sony doesn’t grant the right to create a game for their consoles to every developer that wants to create one. Like many other console manufacturers (if not all), you need to "prove" Sony that the games you want to create will respect a minimum quality standard. I don’t know the specifics of the Sony License Agreement, but I know this just adds up to the long list of things that the team already has to deal with. Maybe someone who already released a game on a PS3/PSVita can give more information about that.

And at last, but not least, releasing the game officially on a Playstation console could raise some copyright concerns, even if all material (graphics, sound) is built from scratch. If I recall correctly, this type of software development is forbidden in Japan. I’m not sure if this is a legal issue or a cultural one but I think the SSGX team will run into it if they try to reach the Sony environment. As a reminder, Sony Computer Entertainment headquarters are located in Tokyo, Japan.

With that said, I know my point of view may look dramatic but I’m definitely not trying to discourage the game development. Once again I wish all the best for the game team which is doing a great work so far. The October Trailer is astounding! I don’t have the words to cheer the developers up but I’m pretty sure they know how grateful we are for their continued hard work.

PS. sorry for the long post

rdmx
14th October 2013, 01:30 PM
Well written Vincoof.

I'm curious what you mean by "this type of software development is forbidden in Japan." The doujin game scene is well and alive in Japan.

dreadofmondays
14th October 2013, 01:37 PM
The Japanese have a notable history of abusing and misinterpreting fan actions, especially those of western fans. As an example, I can't confirm which game right now, but some months back they shut down a fan game tribute claiming it was damaging the franchise. We don't want that to happen to us

rdmx
14th October 2013, 01:54 PM
Ah I see what you mean now. I think the games you're thinking of are Chrono Resurrection, Streets of Rage

vincoof
14th October 2013, 02:50 PM
The doujin game scene is well and alive in Japan.
The dōjin games, like many other types of fan gaming, flies under the radar as long as they remain quiet. At best, copyright holders tolerate these games because they fill a gap, providing content for the fan community. I don’t recall seeing any dōjin title being available to the PS Store though, not even the best ones.

Should I clarify my statement, what I wanted to point out is that the Japanese gaming world is very different from the "West" gaming world. Maybe readers from Japan can tell us how they feel about it, but I feel that we need to double-check the project would be fine before poking our nose into the Japanese video game industry which, in my opinion, is inevitable if the game is ported to a Sony console.

rdmx
14th October 2013, 02:59 PM
You're right. I think Gundemonium and Acceleration of Suguri are on there, but they'd be the exceptions to the rule.

vincoof
14th October 2013, 04:33 PM
You're right. I think Gundemonium and Acceleration of Suguri are on there, but they'd be the exceptions to the rule.
Both of these games were dōjin games initially but they didn’t include copyrighted material from other sources, that certainly explains why Sony himself (more specifically Sony Online Entertainment) participated in the development of these titles.

I could go on and develop what I understood from what I’ve read and what people told me (including people from Japan) but the more I think of it, the more I say to myself that I’m no lawyer and I would confuse everyone if I go too deeply into the discussion. Suffice to say, the copyright law of Japan is different than the copyright law of e.g. US, thus the SSGX team should be careful before releasing something to Japan.

Xpand
14th October 2013, 04:40 PM
A while ago we actually contacted Sony Europe to make sure we could use direct references to the Wipeout universe. They replied and said we couldn't directly use Wipeout references (or any of its intelectual property), but they didn't say anything about using innuendos, which is what we use on our storyline, since it goes on in the same universe. They also didn't refer to anything specific about the game mechanics. About distributing to Japan, we're just thinking about putting it available to download, we don't know who the downloaders are or from what country they are.

vincoof
14th October 2013, 05:03 PM
About distributing to Japan, we're just thinking about putting it available to download, we don't know who the downloaders are or from what country they are.
I think it will be fine. :) My concern begins only when putting the game to the PS Store, which IMHO is unlikely to happen in the near future because of the reasons I’ve thoroughly presented.

Xpand
14th October 2013, 05:30 PM
We have no plans for putting it into any major game distributor, especially for PS Store, that's like jumping from a cliff with no chute and hoping the ground is soft.
We also have no plans to make it for any platform other than PC.

DDD113
15th October 2013, 09:51 PM
Are you guys planning to make a printable manual when the game actually comes out? If you are, I advise you to read the manual from the original WipE'out". It contains all the stats and facts that you could ever need, and detailed information on the world of AG racing. You could insert a few more (color) pictures, but please if you make a manual, do it like that one, with tons of backstory, stats, and explanations. It just makes you burn to play the game.

docfo4r
16th October 2013, 04:58 AM
Hey,
yes, these are the exact visions I have for the manual. In fact, this demo will also have a printable manual already and color pictures. But there is only details about handling, weapons etc. The basics you need for racing, so to speak, since this demo does not contain any story etc.
But the final manual will be like that and more :D

DDD113
16th October 2013, 09:32 PM
That's fantastic, just made my day. Can't wait for the demo and the game, keep the awesomeness flowin! :)

docfo4r
17th October 2013, 04:43 PM
The demo has been deployed! Make sure to grab a helmet first before you download and execute it!

There are versions for:
- Mac DX11
- Windows x86
- Windows x64
- Windows x64 DX11

For more info, visit our website
www.slipstreamgx.com (http://www.slipstreamgx.com)

You can find your download in the "Downloads" section [I know, very hard to guess that :D ]
Have fun!!!

And feedback is highly welcome, you can even find a form for that in the package!

clojo733
17th October 2013, 08:17 PM
The new build is ACE! Congrats guys! :D
I noticed that you changed the handling drastically as well- it'll take some getting used to but I like it. :)

docfo4r
17th October 2013, 09:17 PM
Thanks, I'm glad you enjoy it :)

Cipher
17th October 2013, 10:36 PM
hmmmm, where is this mac version? :p
trying to download it gives me; "sorry an error has occurred, retrying"

Cipher

dreadofmondays
17th October 2013, 10:47 PM
If gDrive displays an error, click the blue button on the lower right to download.
If the Mac version does not start, unpack the archive using Stuffit Expander. :)

Cipher
17th October 2013, 11:29 PM
ah yes 'twas the google drive being derpy ;)
Thx and stuffit, that app is older than me, memoires :p

Cipher

rdmx
18th October 2013, 08:55 AM
Initial impressions:

- love that absorb noise!
- like the launcher icon.
- I wish the airbrakes were more effective. Doesn't feel like they do much at all.
- when using analog steering, I wish the craft would hit 'full lock' earlier than it does. Seems to be set up for digital right now, and it feels kinda unresponsive as a result
- I maintain that the weapon icons are not as clear as they could be. I also think having the icon white, and the background be red/green/blue would be a good start, as it's kind of hard to read.

TheConzio
18th October 2013, 02:19 PM
You guys got music from CoLD SToRAGE!? Didn't know he was still letting people use his music, lol.

docfo4r
18th October 2013, 02:38 PM
He made this tune especially for SSGX :D

@rdmx, thx for the feedback, we'll take it all in consideration :)

Mikahail
18th October 2013, 05:08 PM
Same as rdmx.

- I think the handling and the aibrakes should be a little bit more responsive, although both are really good in the current demo.

- Concerning the items icons, it's a difficult matter. The icons are cool and and clearly visible in daylight, but too dark on night mode. Maybe doing like rdmx suggested is a good solution, and maybe set the position of the icons lower on the HUD.

- There's also a problem in speed lap mode. The times displayed by the HUD are a little messy. Sometimes, the HUD shows something like this :
LAP 7 : XX:XX
LAP 5 : XX:XX
LAP 6 : XX:XX
or
LAP 10 : XX:XX
LAP 11 : XX:XX
LAP 9: XX:XX
It's a little bit frustrating if we add the fact that the times on the HUD and the on the session screen are sometimes totally different. I noticed a difference of 1.9s between my best lap on the HUD and the same lap on the session screen. Oh and it would be better if have the current session best time displayed (just an idea).

-A little problem on endurance too. Happened on Cassandra night, beta class. Finished one lap ahaead of everyone but classed 5th. I saw my position shifting to 6th every time I crossed the starting grid and revert back to first after I crossed the finish line. Happened only once, but it could come back.

Great demo, guys ! Both tracks with day and night are really enjoyable and crossing the forest by night on Draco Cav' gives a wonderful feeling of speed. I'll see if I can do some works of background (inspiration is comng back).

Cipher
18th October 2013, 05:30 PM
hmmm, dreadofmondays…. both of those suggestions were correct, although i did have stuffit, it used unrarx (my default) to extract and you were right, didn't run, not a major issue, but odd, not everyone has stuffit as their extractor, so they might end up thinking it's bugged, while in fact it's not ^^

and, although there's loads of instructions on the web, the document for controller setup is the one for windows, although it's just a matter of pairing using bluetooth (and resetting the controller)

Cipher

docfo4r
18th October 2013, 05:55 PM
Hey Mika,

thx for your big feedback :) Am glad you enjoy it for the most part, hehe.

About the speed lap time displaying:
You have 3 slots for lap times, they will always be written from up to down. So on lap 5 for example, you have 3 slots written [first 3 laps], and lap 4 did overwrite lap 1, so lap 5 did overwrite lap 2 and it looks like this now:
LAP 4: XX.XX
LAP 5: XX.XX [counting here]
LAP 3: XX.XX

I hope that explains :)
But of course you are right, the rounding of the numbers is something that we are going to fix for the future :)

Mikahail
18th October 2013, 06:04 PM
It explains, doc !^^

clojo733
18th October 2013, 06:15 PM
Hmm, I agree with Rdmx and Mikahail that the airbrakes probably should do a bit more, but other than that I do really like the changes to the handling. I'm just keeping away from the heavier-handling craft for now because they rely a lot more on the airbrakes. :)

I also really like the inclusion of night flights. It mixes things up a little! :D

DDD113
18th October 2013, 09:11 PM
Overall, great demo, guys. Only a few little bugs, and I agree that the airbrakes and steering should be more effective. The bugs that I've encountered consist of:

1. The Atom doesn't protect you from some weapons (i.e. rockets and missiles)

2. Sometimes the ship gets stuck with its nose digging into the track and driving really slow at a weird angle after going off the jump in DC. It's not common, but does happen, and takes half a lap to reset.

3. The menu buttons are off, each actually corresponds to the one above it (if you click "event", you go to campaign, or after a race, if you click "back to menu", you restart the race.) This one, while it is able to be dealt with, is very annoying at times.

4. My tractor beam doesn't lock on to anything, no matter what I do. Even if I get it right on a ship, it doesn't lock, making it useless.

Aside from these bugs, it is a fantastic demo, and will provide entertainment for quite awhile. :) However, if you fix these bugs, it would be almost perfect.

Xpand
18th October 2013, 09:37 PM
1) The Atom isn't supposed to protect against weapons.

2) That is very strange because it hasn't happened to any of us since like a year and a half ago

3) Another weird bug that never happened to us. And it's very strange because the menu is the first thing we see, we would notice that in a flash, a lot before releasing the demo.
Can you show it in a pic?

4) Yet another bug that never happened to anyone in the team.

You have a pretty odd list of bugs, lol. We'll look into it.

docfo4r
18th October 2013, 09:45 PM
Additional info to point 1 - The Atom makes Magnets fall off your ship, so you could say it protects you from Magnets. But the purpose of the Atom never has been protection anyways. It's more useful when you enter a tricky track section where you usually collide with the wall :)

As for the other bugs, very strange indeed. Especially the menu thing. A picture, or even a short video, would help us alot in checking out what is really going on.

For the Tractorbeam: Go on an easy AI alpha speed class race and try it one more time just to make sure. The Tractorbeam doesn't lock on to phantoms so maybe your latest victim was actually a bait, produced by the Phantomizer?
Here, again, would be helpful if you could somehow record what is happening. It doesn't need to have HD quality or anything, only so we can actually take a look.

q_dmc12
19th October 2013, 02:24 AM
Great work guys! Are there any future plans to upload times?

DDD113
19th October 2013, 04:05 AM
I was wondering about them because I do have some that have never been reported... don't know why, I figured maybe it's a compatibility issue? (I knew you guys wouldn't mess up the buttons without realizing it, that's what made me wonder) It seems that the Atom does prevent tractor beam lock ons, though, kind of interesting. I'll download the demo to a different user on my computer and get back to you. Thanks for hearing the weirdness! :)

zero3growlithe
19th October 2013, 04:38 AM
Tractorbeam locks-on to all ships except for phantoms and phantomizer users, it does lock-on to atom users.

DDD113
19th October 2013, 04:49 AM
It's a miracle! When I downloaded the demo to the other account using a different web browser, it works flawlessly. The tractor beams lock on perfectly, there is no roughness in the jump at DC, and the menus run fine, working as they are supposed to. I really have to say, guys, now that I got the bugless version of the demo working, you have done an AMAZING job. It is absolutely stunning, a blast to play, no more complaints from here! Wonderful work, I will be entertained for months, keep it up guys! (and thanks for bearing with me :))

AGSys
19th October 2013, 05:09 AM
How do you guys even download from Google Drive? I tried but nothing happens at all. I'm trying to download the 64 bit DX11 one.

EDIT: Got it. And holy crap! Lovin' it so far. I'll come back shortly with all my feedback.

docfo4r
19th October 2013, 11:38 AM
Nice to hear the bugs disappeared/the download works and that you guys can enjoy it :)

@DDD113: Maybe you had the wrong OS-architecture version running?

Ace3000
19th October 2013, 12:19 PM
Well thanks for not mentioning the FREE WALLPAPERS that come with the demo!! They are awesome, though they do look a bit like the WipEout HD wallpapers that was available for download on their site.

EDIT: "Unlocking Unlockables Unlocks Locked Unlockables"

I have no idea how to respond to that.

Hellfire_WZ
19th October 2013, 05:58 PM
I've just uploaded some footage to my channel, hopefully this'll help to get a bit more attention

http://youtu.be/T6pqfEIVXCA

DDD113
19th October 2013, 06:42 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure what the issue was, maybe I just have too much stuff on my primary account and it couldn't process it right... no idea, but oh well, it works now, so I am satisfied. :D

KamatsuKyoto
19th October 2013, 07:18 PM
I have to congratulate the team responsible for SlipStream GX. I already know the project since it was just a topic and did not expect it to become so awesome.

It was through the video above posted by Hellfire_WZ (which has a great YouTube channel, btw ) that I saw how amazing this game is getting! The fidelity with the Wipeout games series is superb. I really want to help with the project any way i can!

I work with games, more specifically with Game Design. I have a game studio and work with Unity too, but at the moment we have been busy with many projects (advergames), so I can't relocate my team to assist in the game, but I personally want to help in any way I can.

So i can assist in Game Design in general, Level Design / Track Design, history, plot, teams, drivers. All in a matter of ideas and layouts, because unfortunately I am not an artist, if i was i could help in art and modeling. I can also help in the audio in terms of voices (male and female voices for narrators/advertisers, HUD and pilots).

I can also offer a new site and free hosting if you guys are interested. I saw that the website is in java and this is not the platform more user friendly, imo (mainly for mobile). I like to use Wordpress for it versatility and ease to install and update, mainly for users who has no knowledge or experience with websites.

Then there is my congratulations and my offerings for the project. :-)

Xpand
20th October 2013, 01:18 PM
Hey! Thanks for the interest! We can talk better about this in Skype (so we don't flood the thread and get lost in between posts), with the SSGX team, PM me your skype name and I'll add you to the group.

DDD113
21st October 2013, 01:53 AM
Okay, so explain to me exactly what the Atom does and doesn't do. It says on the website that it is a temporary new ship surface that lasts for six seconds and reduces all friction so you can hit walls without losing speed and your overall top speed increases. It also says that it protects the ship from EMPs, Impulse Blasts, Magnets, Mines, and Tractortraps. I just want to clarify the functions it performs, please tell me which of these are true, which are not, and if there are any other changes to the weapon. Thanks for your time. :)

amplificated
21st October 2013, 04:42 AM
Hey, had a quick play of the new demo. Noticed some issues relating to input that are probably not bugs but rather simple oversights. Just to let you know:

Firstly, for people who want to do a lot of remapping, the current interface is slow as you have to scroll down every few lines to get to the next set of buttons. Would be better if everything was visible at once; doesn't have to be in a list format.

Secondly, "sideshift -" and "sideshift +" are not good descriptors - would be better if they were labelled sideshift left and sideshift right.

Thirdly, I'm using an X-input compatible controller, and in menus I have to use the controller's joystick to navigate, even though the default keyboard controls are there for up down, etc... The D-pad also does not work. Also, rather frustratingly, the joystick must centre right in the middle before you can navigate to the next selection. Would be good if there was a large deadzone or some other fix in menus.

Lastly, better nomenclature should be used and more/streamlined options provided in the input selection menu. For example, "escape" is both the menu button while racing and the back button in other menus. Would be good if you used a more standardised/less contextual scheme, so it would make a tad more sense to people who want to change controls for the first time, and also for familiarity with typical console gamepads. I mean, if I wanted the O button to be back as it somewhat commonly is with the current control scheme, it would have to be the start menu OR be both absorb and start. This is restrictive.

Gameplay seems unique after five minutes or so of play; hard to get used to from WipEout, as I've loaded this up on my HTPC with Pure and Pulse on it, which I've been playing a little recently as well. Obviously not enough time to critique in any real detail, but one thing that stands out to me from the beginning is how far in the centre of the screen the ship is. IMO it would feel more comfortable being lower/closer to the screen edge, but that's just me.

zero3growlithe
21st October 2013, 06:12 AM
I can't change the appearance of unity input settings and writing my own input options in-game would take a lot of time for something you do once. I don't have control over PS3 or other controller so I can't detect whether u'r using d-pad or something else. Back button will be added as supposed to in menus.
As for camera I plan to add the possibility to adjust height and distance from ship.
Don't expect those changes to pop-up anytime soon.

@DDD113: Atom only protects you from magnets and friction and this is what it was supposed to do from the beginning. Someone was supposed to change the description but seems like it was too much to do.

DDD113
21st October 2013, 10:13 PM
Alrighty, thanks for the clarification, I was just confused, but it's all good now! :)

DDD113
25th October 2013, 09:56 PM
Just a suggestion as far as gameplay goes. I think the Impulse Blast is a bit too powerful, in Gamma class it tends to send me careening halfway across the map, sometimes even landing on other sections of track! (that part could be solved with more restrictive respawn areas, i.e. the ship can't go very far from the track it's on without respawining) I think this could be fixed by reducing the blast force but adding a slowdown effect after the initial blast. This way, it is still a powerful weapon, but not quite as violent and unpredictable. Also in closing, I would like to retract my statement about the ships needing to turn more. Once I have played through the entire demo in Gamma class, I believe that the ship physics are solid, and do not need changed.

P.S. Go iFreet, die LOGOS!!!

Edit: Also just wondering on the side, what software/program did you guys use to create some of the music you have, because I know some of you have created tracks.

Hellfire_WZ
27th October 2013, 07:29 PM
Just something I noticed when looking at my video again - it seems that using the Phantomizer on a night track also knocks out your headlights while active. Will double check this when I can.

docfo4r
27th October 2013, 09:29 PM
@DDD13: All I can say is that the music from Xpand [RBnG] is created with the aid of Fruit Loops. But I am not sure about that so better ask him directly. All other music doesn't come from the team.

@Hellfire: The headlights will get turned off indeed, but that was made on purpose. Imagine a multiplayer match against your friend and you use the Phantomizer. Now, the bait doesn't have headlights so you could unveil it when your friend uses the Phantomizer. But usually, unless you hold a Missile which needs time to lock on, people usually don't take a closer look if anything on their potentional victim looks suspicious [even now they have a reason for doing so]. But: When you see clear and bright headlights without a ship [or only a vague blue body], your camouflage is instantly discovered.
This makes the usage of the Phantomizer a bit more advanced, especially on dark sections of night time tracks. In case it gets too tricky to fly an almost invisible ship at night without headlights, we gotta find some solution, like a temporary night vision or something. But for now, we want to see how the people are getting along with the pickups and soaking in feedback :)

Hellfire_WZ
27th October 2013, 09:36 PM
Ah, I see. Thought I'd flag it in case it was an oversight ;) I was lucky in that I had the other craft to navigate by, I could imagine the case of someone on their own going "Oooo, what does this do?...FUUUUUUUU *crash*"

docfo4r
27th October 2013, 09:43 PM
Hahaha yeah. The Phantomizer can be quite irritating at first, I also had to get used to it.

But now that you brought that up, I remembered that we never really included that "if"-check for Missiles.... If an enemy ship uses the Phantomizer, lock on to the bait instead of the real ship :P It doesn't do that afair 'till now. But well, the Tractorbeam might also receive a tiny visual update later on. It's all about deburring the edges :D

DDD113
28th October 2013, 09:20 PM
I like that commentary on the Phantomizer use Hellfire, I could see people doing that too! :P

docfo4r
3rd November 2013, 02:52 PM
We received some new donations during this weekend and I want to say: THANKS FOR THAT PHANTASTIC SUPPORT!!! :)

Currently we are at almost 10% of goal.
It feels very good to know that people believe and place trust into SSGX. A high motivation to continue making the best out of it!

clojo733
13th November 2013, 01:31 PM
Just donated a small amount, I hope it went through. It isn't much, but I'll probably donate more some other time. :D

docfo4r
13th November 2013, 02:20 PM
Thanks clojo :D That is very very great from you and we really appreciate it. I checked it right now, it's not there yet but I'll let you know once it arrived so you can be sure everything went ok there :)

About current game progress:
zero3 made Ghosts possible on TT and SL race modes, which includes saving and loading, so we can already "exchange" ghosts from each others SSGX. We still gotta check the actual ghost look though.
I am doing some small stuff on Nazca and am slowly starting to program the achievements
dreadofmondays is about to continue his work on K-Bay :)

DDD113
13th November 2013, 08:35 PM
Sounds good! What's the progress on Alphard?

docfo4r
13th November 2013, 08:45 PM
Guess there is not much to report for Alphard. zero3 is working on lots of helpful fixes [on the code] here and there right now and dunno if he has modeled anything lately. Guess not but I could be wrong, so lets wait for his reply.

Btw: Your records table doesn't get used alot here atm I saw. Don't be upset about it, ppl want everything to be automatic nowadays XD Will try to nail down some race times on the weekend.

DDD113
13th November 2013, 08:48 PM
Yeah, I didn't know how well it would work, but it was and still is worth a try! We'll have our own time battles if nothing else! ;)

docfo4r
13th November 2013, 08:58 PM
Haha yeah sure :D Well anyways, it still is a nice place to collect some race times. Ok, automated ranking isn't possible, but at least it helps collecting race times of all ppl and if more ppl would use it, we all could gain a nice overview of how well people are doing, to get a general feeling if certain tracks are easy or hard to navigate etc.

clojo733
13th November 2013, 11:03 PM
Hmm my Paypal account doesn't say I donated... Oh well I'll have to try again. You guys are making good progress btw. :D

DDD113
14th November 2013, 03:19 AM
Personally, I just like the fact that you guys have gone back to the basics when it comes to racing line. I mean, in the newer WipEout games, you could take any of about ten lanes through any corner and have no trouble setting up for the next without hitting the wall. In SSGX, many corner sections (i.e. first 3 corners of Cassandra, much of DC) require you to nail the racing line on each corner in order to set up for the next one, otherwise you'll hit the wall. That's the way it always was with the classic WipEouts, especially 2097/XL and Wip3out, and that's the way it should be. You guys have gone back to many basic ideas of the early WipEout games, and I'm really glad you did, those games were the best and this one will be too! :D

Edit: I know that it's a long way off, but are you guys considering making a sequel? :D

docfo4r
14th November 2013, 04:15 AM
Hahahah DDD, I guess we all are happy when we have this one complete. A sequel, I dunno if it is possible with all members of the actual team. Some of us are getting into the age range of having a family and who knows if one can still concentrate on SSGX2 then^^ But in case we do a sequel, then we gotta start different in the planning phase, even maybe change the engine or at least build on Unity3D directly.

Speaking of that, clojo if you have donated online from your paypal account, it should be here already but it isn't. So I also think that something went wrong with your donation. Sorry for the inconvenience :( If you are still having problems, pm me and we look into it together.

zero3growlithe
17th November 2013, 08:17 AM
Sounds good! What's the progress on Alphard?
Currently am not working on anything regarding modelling but when I'll get bored with programming (happens sometimes :g) I'll think about finishing this track. I already thought about the final design so expect it to look better than it looks now :P Especially now when I noticed I have lots of room for improvements if it comes to polycount.

docfo4r
27th November 2013, 04:30 PM
Btw, I just want to hear some opinions, especially from ppl outside of ATP: What if we are going to create a race mode based on the dropped "Zombie" mode for WO2048?
http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2011/12/30/wipeout-2048s-zombie-apocalypse/

Or do you guys have similar ideas that go into such directions? Am just curious :)

DDD113
27th November 2013, 05:01 PM
I think the Zombie mode would be really cool, something unique to a WipEout-esque game. I love the Zombie and now Extinction modes on Call of Duty, and I think it would be a blast to play. My only question is if we would need to create new, wider circuits for it to allow you more room to evade the zombies, but I guess we will just see.

Maybe if you beat all Zombie events in the game, you unlock a special Zombie ship skin! Muwhahaha! :D

Ace3000
28th November 2013, 08:49 AM
I approve of that idea, I would love to see that implemented in SSGX!

DDD113
30th November 2013, 04:06 AM
I thought of a slogan for iFreet recently (since it appears that the team currently has none)

I chose "Play With Fire" not only because the team is based off the fire Jinn "ifrit," but also because flying the ship itself is like playing with fire; since it has the lowest shield in the game, you are taking a risk that the rest of the stats will carry you to victory.

Oryx Crake
30th November 2013, 08:26 AM
nice nice, I never thought of giving them a slogan, by the way though the ifreet logo has changed slightly since the example you are using in that image 8235

DDD113
30th November 2013, 04:18 PM
Ooh, fiery, I like it! Yeah, the slogan just came to me the other day when playing the demo, so I thought, why not post it? :D

Colonel
1st December 2013, 11:17 AM
Finally got around to making a donation. Let me know if it fails to go through, seemed to work okay though.

docfo4r
1st December 2013, 11:27 AM
Wow :D It's there. Totally unexpected. Thanks a bunch!!!! :)

Colonel
1st December 2013, 01:35 PM
No worries, I'll sort out another in a couple of months. I see it as a sound investment :)

mannjon
11th December 2013, 02:34 AM
I don't know who is responsible for what with the SSGX project, but I have a design degree and I specialize in graphic design. I'm also currently in school for my second degree which is in Computer Science (programming, web development, etc). Anyways, I specialize in the marketing, logo, and branding fields with a certain flair for Illustration.

If you guys need any help at all with graphics, please let me know! I'd love to help!

~mannjon

docfo4r
11th December 2013, 05:02 AM
Hey mannjon. Thank you for the interest in SSGX :)

Yes, we can never have enough 2D-arts and people behind it to get a wide range of variety when it comes to advertisement, billboards, animation and design. I think the best step for you to take is going into this forum:
http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?9342-Fan-Contribution-Thread

And there you can show us some of your current work and we and all other people on the forum can give you some feedback :)

docfo4r
31st December 2013, 12:49 PM
Hello people,

a year has passed now and we would like to hear how you think about SlipStream GX, and the way we present progress. And like I already wrote on our Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/SlipStreamGX), there will be a little bonus in form of exclusive development pictures if you like to take a few minutes and fill up this form:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1-u3sTeIuZz3vVxFOQpOYAvhnMyAR3XN2CKpOqa4Dks4/viewform

Happy new year to all of you and may your dreams come true!!! :) And thanks alot for this phantastic support!

DDD113
31st December 2013, 03:48 PM
I can't choose Zombie mode and Velocity mode? :P

P.S. Kealakekua Bay is looking wonderful, I can't wait for the night mode here, it will be lit up with all those bright colorful lights starting to appear around the track. Reminds me of a Sinucit-like aesthetic feel there, and I love it. :D

docfo4r
31st December 2013, 04:58 PM
U can say "Other" and write both of em down ;)

DDD113
31st December 2013, 05:00 PM
Ehh, you now know what I would have put anyway, so I won't fill out another form just to change it.

Edit: 400th post!!! :D

DDD113
7th January 2014, 05:13 AM
I've just been reading the 'what would a new wipeout game look like?' thread and someone brought up the idea of resurrecting the replay function. I actually think this would be a very cool idea, to have a simple replay mode, like that of WO3, but allowing you to select internal, chase, or trackside view (with the trackside view constantly changing as it did in WO3). Also, in addition to just watching your replay after a race, you could have the option to save it to the 'SSGX Data' folder like the screenshots, and then upload and share them with others. This would be really nice for people like me whose computers barely eek out SSGX in it's full potential, and cannot run a video capture program and SSGX at the same time. It would also just make it easier for people to save and upload race videos to Youtube and other sites, spreading the word about SSGX.

Xpand
7th January 2014, 05:16 AM
We do have a replay function as a future option for the game. We only need to figure out an efficient way to implement it, codewise.

DDD113
8th January 2014, 08:52 PM
That would be really cool, and a lot of fun to easily share videos and watch your performances after races. Hopefully it will work out! :D

docfo4r
9th January 2014, 08:00 PM
I just wanted to inform you guys that we received another very big donation for SSGX! Thanks for every donator so far! This amount of trust really means alot to us.

Currently we are at 15% of goal for a Unity Pro licence.

Amaroq Dricaldari
30th January 2014, 08:26 PM
I can't believe how much I've missed this.

BrunoDG
31st January 2014, 11:55 PM
Keep on it, everyone! We can do it!

Amaroq Dricaldari
1st February 2014, 12:37 AM
I had an idea that could add a new tactical twist to the gameplay:
Different colors of weapon pads, sort of like 2048.
Red (with a touch of orange) - Offensive
Green (which a touch of yellow) - Defensive
White (with a touch of blue) - Combined (rare)

The blue ones could give you any weapon, defensive or offensive, and would make track splits more interesting. One might only have a defensive pad, while the other might have a combined pad and some speedpads, but be a little more difficult to navigate (while at the same time providing a better entry into the next corner)

Xpand
1st February 2014, 12:52 AM
Yeah that's not gonna happen. We'd have to rewrite almost all the weapons' mechanics and when I say we I mean the couple of programmers we have and they have enough on their plate already.

Amaroq Dricaldari
1st February 2014, 01:06 AM
Awws... *sad wolf* ...I wanted to contribute something.

DDD113
1st February 2014, 05:02 AM
Standard rules for contribution ideas: Keep the game's ideals, and don't overhaul anything. We're too far into this process to overwork major aspects of it, and we don't need any sporadic radical changes, so keep that in mind with your suggestions.

docfo4r
1st February 2014, 07:05 AM
Well written, Davy. Guess that sums it up.

SSGX is not a imaginative game idea any more. We are already deep in the development process. We talked alot before, and we made decisions. Some of these decisions should not be changed any more, otherwise we will never finish the game. And yeah, no matter what you create or do, you can never satisfy everyone.

docfo4r
5th March 2014, 03:03 PM
I think it is time to give you guys a little update about what is going on behind the scenes in SSGX. It became a bit quiet now, but that doesn't mean we're unproductive.

First of all, for those who don't visit Facebook: Ric is designing the "Indigo Raceway" at the moment. It is an oval track and will be the place for the Tutorial, where Carlos will teach new people the basics of SSGX. See some pictures here:
http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/052/a/d/slipstream_gx___solaris___tutorial_track_by_threed maniak-d77fr7w.jpg
http://sphotos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/1941453_711527128880897_2004005890_o.jpg

Also the script for Carlos has been written, Bruno is up to record the voices soon so the programming of the tutorial can happen after that. Another thing is Khimera One. One of the two last prototypes is currently in development. Here is a photo of it's recent look:
http://sphotos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/1653314_709555709078039_1675933308_n.jpg

We are also discussing the new website and are implementing a database. We are not sure when this is done and I can't make any promises as of yet, but we might be able to have a basic version of leaderboards ready once the next demo is out. So you guys can share and face each others lap/race times. Other things that experience an overwork are the ship lights and flares, the menu, the music player since it will be possible to create and edit your own play list, quite a handful of achievements are programmed already aswell.
We are also discussing the tracks Basin Park, Basin Park Hill and Hubian right now. Than might be able to aid us up with new concept art for Hubian soon, and Bruno has some nice videos of Rio ready, which will serve as a reference for the Basin tracks.

We also received another donation and are now at around 280€.
As you can see, we are of course still working on SSGX, just there isn't anything to show right now :)

burt_ie
10th March 2014, 12:20 PM
Keep up the awesome work guys. The last demo blew me away! Could not believe how much you have all achieved.

I'll donate some more when I have some spare funds as support for you all.

docfo4r
10th March 2014, 03:10 PM
Thank you alot. Donations always mean a special thing for us. And it helps alot!

Btw: A new short videoblog is up, this times recorded by Bruno. It shows some nice views of Rio, which will serve as a reference for the tracks "Basin Park" and "Basin Park Hill":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLcTfFkrjVQ&list=UULVcSGwv6QZPc33S4IvrnRg

Amaroq Dricaldari
5th April 2014, 11:38 PM
I had a new idea regarding the shield, though I wish I could have told you guys way earlier during the hame's development.

Changing the shield from a short period of complete invulnerability to being granted a huge bulk of temporary hit points. These temporary hit points would drain slowly, but would also exceed your maximum health. The more damage you take, the faster they drain, but otherwise they can leave you protected for a while (it can last a very long time if you're good at not getting hit.)

Just food for thought.

docfo4r
6th April 2014, 09:37 AM
The pickups are all pretty much done already. A classic "shield" has been replaced with the Phantomizer which works like the Cloak in WO3 + it instantiates an AI controlled duplicate of your ship for a short time which serves as a bait.

Also, photo mode is now available for SSGX:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAizGTd3LlI

burt_ie
7th April 2014, 12:07 PM
Wow! Love the photo mode! You guys rock!

Amaroq Dricaldari
8th April 2014, 10:01 PM
...you got rid of the shield? 3:

Xpand
8th April 2014, 10:26 PM
Way way long ago, like at the first concepts for pickups like 2 years ago.

kingpin12345
14th April 2014, 09:40 PM
Guys, you know that idea for making a tri-hulled ship for a wipeout game we're making. Well i was thinking that we could use ideas from 2048 & HD Fury. The 3 main ships like in 2048 with a proto-type which has increaced stats like in HD Fury. I've also been thinking of a new team called Goldstar International and their prototype ship is a tri hulled one with maxed out stats like the zone ship. It's ok if you don't agree with my idea.

Xpand
14th April 2014, 09:42 PM
The problem is that we already have the 8 final teams and their ships established for about two years now:
Solaris
Helios
CEN-R
IFREET
LOGOS
Zepher
Amphithere
A.T.L.A.S.

Amaroq Dricaldari
14th April 2014, 09:44 PM
And a maxed out ship would be completely unbalanced.

kingpin12345
14th April 2014, 10:23 PM
First of all it would be for a actual wipeout game with it's normal logo not SlipStream GX and second the maxed out goldstar prototype can only be unlocked by buying the 3D Fury DLC and the teams loylty is maxed out so it will take some time before it is unlocked. P.S. WipEout 3D is the name of the game i'm developing. (see my profile)

Xpand
14th April 2014, 10:28 PM
Uh Oh, I think I know what's the confusion here. This thread is like 99% SSGX related (hence being in the SSGX subforum). It's the thread that originated the project (and was always exclusive to it), hence why every post here is interpreted as relating to SSGX and not to any other Wipeout based game.

kingpin12345
15th April 2014, 09:27 PM
Yer. I forgot to check the sub-forum's name when i read the original text on one of the pages.

yeldar2097
16th April 2014, 03:33 PM
Do want SSGX looks amazing :clap

zero3growlithe
17th April 2014, 12:53 PM
Small video with some small updates :g At around 5:08 in the vid there is an interesting note, but u might want to watch the first 5 minutes before reading it :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MptDKAsAK8w

docfo4r
1st May 2014, 07:04 PM
Next video: New blog about bugfixing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h9ah2ZF62Q

kingpin12345
11th May 2014, 12:15 PM
Guys. You know the SSGX ships. Well if you send me some pictures of them I can name what they are based on. Also, if your releasing the game to the public I could make the case cover. I just need to know if you are and if it's based between the F9000 and FX300. If it is it could be the FX150 ameture league like it says from the wipeout wikia.

zero3growlithe
11th May 2014, 12:28 PM
wat
New alphard vid if someone didn't see it yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG2ORbMCRSo

Xpand
11th May 2014, 12:39 PM
@kingpin12345: You're a bit late in the party it seems. The game has already a handful of releases, the latest being the October 2013 demo (download it at www.slipstreamgx.com). And I don't get what you mean by the naming ships and stuff. About the setting, Slipstream GX is set in 2185 in the ARC-150 league (wink wink). We can't use Wipeout references for obvious reasons.

kingpin12345
11th May 2014, 04:59 PM
Don't forget that because Studio Liverpool went bust all Copyrights are now void along with any registed trademarks. So they can be used.

And by ships, I mean the team ships and what they're based on as in the F7200 Goteki45 ship which I think one the SSGX ships are based on.

Hellfire_WZ
11th May 2014, 06:20 PM
Don't forget that because Studio Liverpool went bust all Copyrights are now void along with any registed trademarks. So they can be used.

No they aren't, and no they can't

Xpand
11th May 2014, 07:29 PM
The intelectual property for Wipeout belongs to Sony, not SL.
Also the ships have a misc of inspirations so you can't just name one particular ship that served as a basis. I designed them without having any visual references while drawing so it's all a sort of mashup done inside my brain.

zero3growlithe
11th May 2014, 08:08 PM
Hey man, what are your goals? Ur mission is not clear to me, could you identify your desires?

Snakenator1
19th June 2014, 04:11 PM
Snake here, hoping all is going well for you guys. Just finished watching some of the vids and everything looks awesome :)
You're are all very talented people, nice work and keep it up ;)

docfo4r
19th June 2014, 05:51 PM
Thanks for the kind words.
Yeah it got a bit silent recently but we are still on it. Just there isn't much to show at the moment, but hopefully soon :)

Xpand
19th June 2014, 05:53 PM
Hey! Thanks! Yeah we're still working on SSGX, docfo4r is reworking the Nazca Remains track (again xD) and zero3growlithe has been messing about with the programming. I've been adding bits and pieces to the tutorial track, but nothing worth of a post since I'm in my university exam season.

Jonny
20th June 2014, 07:16 PM
I remember that I wanted to show you guys some track plans I made, sorry I totaly forgot it :(

Snakenator1
20th June 2014, 08:06 PM
Hey guys just a quicke, I went to the website to get the SSGX 2013 demo and none of the downloads are working. Constantly getting errors :|
There might be a problem with the downloads right now. Or did I miss something that caused you to shut off the download?

Just very curious :P
Cause I'm a very curious person :3

Also with your consent I would like to promote the project on my Tumblr account to raise awareness
I could start and run an entire SSGX Tumblr blog if you wanted ;)

Xpand
20th June 2014, 08:07 PM
We're not going to make more tracks than what we already have planned. We already have a lot on our plate and we'd really like to finish them (and the game) in the next couple of years.

docfo4r
21st June 2014, 12:23 AM
Hey Snakenator1, is this error related to google? When the error shows up, do you see a blue button on the lower right labeled "Open"/"Download" or something like this? If so, it is a known false behaviour from Google. Hit this button and the download should work after all.

Jonny
21st June 2014, 02:44 AM
We're not going to make more tracks than what we already have planned. We already have a lot on our plate and we'd really like to finish them (and the game) in the next couple of years.

I don't mean that you have to add them, just showing my ideas. I promised docfo4r

Snakenator1
21st June 2014, 08:18 AM
Yes it worked now, Thank you ^_^

Xpand
21st June 2014, 08:26 AM
I don't mean that you have to add them, just showing my ideas. I promised docfo4r

Sure, I was just saying.

docfo4r
17th July 2014, 04:14 PM
Our new website is ready, check it out at:

www.slipstreamgx.com (http://www.slipstreamgx.com)

Mikahail
17th July 2014, 04:34 PM
Checked it. Nicely done, guys. :)

Ace3000
18th July 2014, 05:39 AM
I am absolutely loving the new site, great job guys!

When would we expect the next public beta?

Xpand
18th July 2014, 01:38 PM
Soon-ish. Within this Northern Hemisphere Summer / Southern Hemisphere Winter

Ace3000
18th July 2014, 01:49 PM
Fantastic!

vincoof
18th July 2014, 03:08 PM
The new website’s definitely a LOT better than the previous one. Good job guys. I especially love the "About Us" picture showing contributors in front of a sketch. However I’m not sure the pictures on top of the Blog page are in the right place. While I like the picture mosaic itself, I think it’s a bit confusing to have it in the blog page.

Keep up the good work guys ;)

docfo4r
18th July 2014, 10:05 PM
Thanks for your feedback. Yeah, we will continue to update the site over time so don't hesitate to share your thoughts and ideas :)

Meanwhile, we now have a pickup announcer. This voice should be familiar to you guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxGCRn1GsG8

Ace3000
19th July 2014, 01:00 PM
Oh, hi Hellfire! :D

docfo4r
4th August 2014, 08:09 AM
New demo is out, check in at this link and have fun :)

http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?9105-Slipstream-GX-Releases-and-Fixes

EDIT: What a great post #1000 :D

Ace3000
4th August 2014, 09:41 AM
That's neat, quite solid, though I did get stuck in the walls a bit. It pushed me out after a second or two.

I'll give it another shot later, when i can be bothered to connect my controller. I suck at keyboard, though that could be cause I'm used to playing wipeout with a controller. :P

Mikahail
4th August 2014, 03:24 PM
After an hour playing, the demo is quite good, pretty solid.
No bugs reported so far, but I'll need to do few more sessions.
Alphard is a pretty fun track, full of variety and challenge. And a beautiful scenery, that is.

Hellfire_WZ
4th August 2014, 07:48 PM
Just had a go myself, and I have to say it is such an improvement over the October 13 demo I don't know where to begin! The new physics system is far more fluid and it was easy to get the hang of very quickly, Alphard is a very nice track to race on and the texture quality on the ships is brilliant. It's clear where the effort went since the last one, very well done indeed :)

A couple of minor things. Firstly in the Controls menu you have Pitch up and Pitch Down. They're labelled the wrong way round. They do work as intended on default but just a small aesthetic point. Secondly, the voice alert for the Atom and Cannon weapons sounds a bit muffled to me, certainly when compared to the much clearer ones for things like Missiles and Rockets.

mkozjak
4th August 2014, 08:23 PM
Anyone on OS X here, maybe? Can you use your gamepad? (I've filed a bug report in the given thread)
@slipstream devs: I've sent you an email with details, also. :)

Looking forward to help debugging the problem!

docfo4r
4th August 2014, 09:43 PM
@Hellfire, thanks for your feedback. And also thanks for pointing that out in the menu. As for the voices: We'll re-edit those two a bit.

@mkozjak: Noted. Thanks for your report. Unfortunately, we only have one person with a Mac in the team and he is quite busy at the moment. I will forward this issue to him but you might need to have some patience for the reply. Sorry for the inconvenience :/

mkozjak
4th August 2014, 10:29 PM
No, no problem! Thanks for responding! :)

Trilby
4th August 2014, 11:03 PM
I have a Mac, but but couldn't play the October demo, because the archive got all buggered up and couldn't be opened. This one I can play just fine, and.. it's slightly disappointing. Don't get me wrong, the added track, and the fact I can map almost ANY gamepad I have drivers for is very very nice. I just wish it didn't run at a bloody crawl. I have an OK Mac (not even close to the best) but even on the fastest graphics settings, as soon as a single possibly-CPU taxing thing pops on screen (like waterfalls, dust, or other ships) it harshly dips to sub-15 FPS, making what the joy of playing the new Alphard track should be A NIGHTMARE. And I clip through all the barriers on Alphard with almost no effort.

zero3growlithe
4th August 2014, 11:08 PM
Since I know Mac's for their high price and low specs I shall ask you, what specs are you talking about? What CPU, GPU and amount of RAM your Mac has?

Xpand
5th August 2014, 12:23 AM
I have a Mac, but but couldn't play the October demo, because the archive got all buggered up and couldn't be opened. This one I can play just fine, and.. it's slightly disappointing. Don't get me wrong, the added track, and the fact I can map almost ANY gamepad I have drivers for is very very nice. I just wish it didn't run at a bloody crawl. I have an OK Mac (not even close to the best) but even on the fastest graphics settings, as soon as a single possibly-CPU taxing thing pops on screen (like waterfalls, dust, or other ships) it harshly dips to sub-15 FPS, making what the joy of playing the new Alphard track should be A NIGHTMARE. And I clip through all the barriers on Alphard with almost no effort.

That's weird because I had a pretty old laptop (around 5 years old) and it ran the game pretty well albeit the graphics having to be on medium low.
Its specs were:

Intel i3
4GB RAM
Windows 7
Integrated Intel HD Graphics video card (fancy name for "no video card at all")

BrunoDG
5th August 2014, 12:39 AM
Anyone on OS X here, maybe? Can you use your gamepad? (I've filed a bug report in the given thread)
@slipstream devs: I've sent you an email with details, also. :)

Looking forward to help debugging the problem!

Yo, brother! I'm gonna try it here with USB Overdrive, which software were you using to actually play it with your gamepad?

Trilby
5th August 2014, 01:37 AM
Since I know Mac's for their high price and low specs I shall ask you, what specs are you talking about? What CPU, GPU and amount of RAM your Mac has?

I will admit, my graphics card is miserable.

CPU: 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

RAM: 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2

GPU: ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT 128 VRAM

Yeah, it's old.

That's weird because I had a pretty old laptop (around 5 years old) and it ran the game pretty well albeit the graphics having to be on medium low.
Its specs were:

Intel i3
4GB RAM
Windows 7
Integrated Intel HD Graphics video card (fancy name for "no video card at all")

That's the thing. You're using Windows. The game is acting like it's only poorly optimized for Mac, but that doesn't even make sense, seeing as the runtime libs for Unity for Windows and Mac are almost identical. This shouldn't happen.

zero3growlithe
5th August 2014, 09:01 AM
CPU: 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

RAM: 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2

GPU: ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT 128 VRAM

Damn man, I don't have contact with such prehistoric device for years, min. 512mb GPU is welcome. Like every other game minimum system requirements have to be met, I can even specify them when am back home especially for you.

Aidan
5th August 2014, 09:12 AM
It sounds like you just don't have the hardware, for comparison my old laptop has;

2.1GHz AMD Athlon 2
2Gb DDR2 RAM
AMD Mobility HD 2400 892mb vram
Windows 8.1 x64

at its native resolution of 1366x768 I was able to get around 30-45 fps on the lowest settings. I would imagine it's your gpu thats causing the fps to drop to as low as 15 since 128Mb vram is really low and aside from that our specs are similar.

As for the new demo it's great! My main deskop had no problem running it and I was able to get my controller working from the new controls screen. My only complaint is that every now and then I would collide head on with a wall and my nose would get stuck in it, then after a few seconds of not being able to move it teleported me miles back down the track.

docfo4r
5th August 2014, 09:46 AM
Thanks for your feedback. Does this happen on every track, or only on one specific one? And a certain spot or everywhere? We will overlook the colliders there, then :)

mkozjak
5th August 2014, 10:05 AM
Hey!

I've tried it with GamePad Companion (3.2 and 3.1 versions). I didn't want to try installing USB Overdrive, since it needed a reboot and that means it might do something with stock drivers. Don't take that for granted, though.

Tried with USB Overdrive, maybe?

Yo, brother! I'm gonna try it here with USB Overdrive, which software were you using to actually play it with your gamepad?

Aidan
5th August 2014, 12:31 PM
I've been having problems with the two corners on Draco Cavernae just after you jump off the dirt track section, It then teleports me back half way down the dirt track section. I also got stuck on one of the lamp posts on that same section of the track. I attached an image of the area as well.

BrunoDG
5th August 2014, 03:51 PM
Hey!

I've tried it with GamePad Companion (3.2 and 3.1 versions). I didn't want to try installing USB Overdrive, since it needed a reboot and that means it might do something with stock drivers. Don't take that for granted, though.

Tried with USB Overdrive, maybe?

Actually, what I used to play with my PS4 controller was USB Overdrive. I just got GamePad Companion here and I'm going to test it as soon as possible. I'll give you a more concrete answer on what's going on as soon as I can, but for testing purposes, I'd ask you to try testing it with USB Overdrive. It worked on the October 2013 with me normally, so I think it shouldn't be a problem while testing on the new August demo. ;)

If it still doesn't work, please send me a message, and we'll find a way to fix this together. :)

mkozjak
5th August 2014, 07:37 PM
Actually, what I used to play with my PS4 controller was USB Overdrive. I just got GamePad Companion here and I'm going to test it as soon as possible. I'll give you a more concrete answer on what's going on as soon as I can, but for testing purposes, I'd ask you to try testing it with USB Overdrive. It worked on the October 2013 with me normally, so I think it shouldn't be a problem while testing on the new August demo. ;)

If it still doesn't work, please send me a message, and we'll find a way to fix this together. :)

Actually, it works with USB Overdrive. What's very interesting is that when I duplicate an input device in USB Overdrive and choose a ps3 controller in it, and also turn off the stock preset, the game would still block. Do you have the same problem?

Further, the game is stuck when not using any gamepad helpers, whereas, in example, Trine 2 works.
And it seems if I just copy a 'Game' preset in USB Overdrive without even choosing a ps3 controller, the game would still not run, even though that one copied preset is the only one enabled.

docfo4r
5th August 2014, 09:40 PM
I've been having problems with the two corners on Draco Cavernae just after you jump off the dirt track section, It then teleports me back half way down the dirt track section. I also got stuck on one of the lamp posts on that same section of the track. I attached an image of the area as well.

Are you staying on the track or are you trying to cut the section? You can save a bit of time when you do a cut but you will get close to the reset-triggers....
The lamp posts all have colliders in that area so you will get stuck. I hope that lamp colliders will be added at the rock section of Alphard aswell since colliding with objects that are reachable should happen ;)

Aidan
6th August 2014, 07:40 PM
I was trying to cut the corner when I got stuck on the lamp, but the two times where I got stuck on the track barriers I just slammed into them. On Alphard I left the track at one point and slipped through a gap in some rocks to get under the track for a few seconds before being teleported back.

Just a quest suggestion, keeping the controls to navigate the menus seperate to what you have set for the game, or being able to navigate the menu with a keyboard at all times would be nice. I know you can set up different two keys for an action in the options menu but that takes extra effort.

BrunoDG
8th August 2014, 05:09 PM
Actually, it works with USB Overdrive. What's very interesting is that when I duplicate an input device in USB Overdrive and choose a ps3 controller in it, and also turn off the stock preset, the game would still block. Do you have the same problem?

Further, the game is stuck when not using any gamepad helpers, whereas, in example, Trine 2 works.
And it seems if I just copy a 'Game' preset in USB Overdrive without even choosing a ps3 controller, the game would still not run, even though that one copied preset is the only one enabled.

This one I didn't try out here. Am going to test here and I'll tell you as soon as I can.

PlayForGG
9th August 2014, 12:42 PM
Not sure if it's the right place, but could'nt find a better one, i'll send a feedback mail on top of that anyway.

I discovered this game abit more than a month ago, played with late 2013 demo for a while then gave feedback.
And just a couple of weeks later there's a new beta out which fixes most of the issues i had, it feels like christmas :D

Great improvement between both, the biggest one is obviously the controls. Even though i like the PS3 pad a lot, i'm a lot more comfortable with a xbox360 one for games i don't need precise inputs for L2/R2 and where i don't use the directional pad. So yeah most of the racing games. Being one of the most used pad on PC, it's a great point for the game ;)

The improved visuals are really cool and not too demanding on the computer (currently playing at 60fps on a first generation dual core 2ghz, 3Go RAM, 8800GT with max settings).
The new track is really hard, and feels insanely tight (more so than the other tracks). I'm a Time trial player more than a weapon mode player so i like the fact that it's really strict on the lanes, but i've showed the game to a couple of friends that liked Wipeout and they have issues with the size of the tracks for combat/side-stepping. SO depending on who you want to the game to target, you may want to put a couple wider tracks if you can.

Another issue i have is that some ships are really frustrating to play with because of their hitboxes. It's the most notable on the Logos, but also present on the Amphiteatre, Solaris and iFreet. Due to the ships' shapes, when you barely scratch a wall with a wing, the nose turn toward the wall and you get kind of "sucked" to the wall. It's really easy to notice when you're a bit large on a left turn, scratch the right side of the track, then you're ship starts turning on the right and you finish the turn stuck on the wall.
It happens quite a lot due to the tightness of the tracks aswell.
It doesn't happen on the ships which don't have a triangle shape.

Now, if it has been thought out to balance the ships, i'm fine with it as the behavior corresponds to the ships' shapes and it's understandable because of Physics. But if it's not, i'd really like to see some sort of hitbox not tied to the ship's look to prevent this behavior as it's really anoying and adds a lot of frustration to the game at the moment
Actually, it's the only reason i didn't switch to the Logos yet, as the ship is really wide and the issue happens a lot with it.

On another topic, is there any repository for ghosts ? Or a plan to do one ?
I'm currently playing a lot on Cassandra and trying to improve my time, so i'd like to be able to get better ghosts to see what i can improve on it. I'm still working on being a bit more consistent with my laps and 2 of the 3 barrel rolls i found on it, but i've a good lane at the moment so i'd like to see if there are changes to be made on it. I'm at a 29.2xx sec best lap at the moment and consitently do around 30.0 sec laps. I think can probably do around 28.0 sec lap with the 3 barrel rolls with a bit of work on my consistency and with the current lane.

Anyway, the game is great and has a lot of potential. I'm looking forward more of it :D

docfo4r
10th August 2014, 08:53 AM
First of all, thanks alot for your big feedback. You gave us some idea to ease up the feedback process :)

We are glad you enjoy the demos so far. I hope it is ok if I keep my reply a bit shorter than your text.

SO depending on who you want to the game to target, you may want to put a couple wider tracks if you can.
That's right. I think two of the current three tracks [Alphard, Cassandra] might be the hardest ones in the game when it comes to precision and tightness. There will be tracks that are focused more on speed than technique like Kealakekua Bay [correct me when I am wrong, Damon] and Nazca Remains will even be like a desert rally if you like to think so, without any barriers near to the roads :D

Actually, it's the only reason i didn't switch to the Logos yet, as the ship is really wide and the issue happens a lot with it.
If we would change the hitbox to a more simplified shape, it might look even stranger when colliding with the walls or when Magnets are attached to your ship as they would float somewhere in space. In this case, I am forced to say that it all comes down to practice. I can play with Logos just fine on Gamma at Alphard but I am testing alot and from there comes the practice! So, don't give up! ;)

On another topic, is there any repository for ghosts ? Or a plan to do one ?
Yup, for the final release we plan to have a nice ghost sharing system as well as online leaderboards etc. Just for the current beta release, things like those would be too much of an effort at the moment. But you can exchange your ghosts with friends "by hand" at the moment. Just have a look into the manual about how to do that.

Thanks again for your long and precise feedback :)

Zombye
10th August 2014, 12:13 PM
Hello, will the airbrakes have analog functionality? I'm using my PS3 controller and I've set it up to work with most games, with the most important analog functions on separate axis(L2/R2, joysticks, motion sensitivity). It would be great to be able to brake at say 50% when 100% is not needed, but you still need to use them.

Also, it would be great to be able to assign 3 different buttons/axis to a single action(I want to be able to use the d-pad(Digital), joystick(Analog), and my keyboard)
And a problem: the D-pad is registering as axis 9/10 when assigning controls, and is unusable(doesn't work in the menu, and probably not in-game).

(Oh and i found a secret, which has a rendering bug.)

mkozjak
16th August 2014, 10:24 AM
This one I didn't try out here. Am going to test here and I'll tell you as soon as I can.

Hey, any news on this problem? Sixaxis works with usb overdrive, but I'd like to play via bluetooth with gamepad companion or something like that. ;)

FEISAR_ARCH
18th August 2014, 09:37 PM
Ok, Which one of you devs has a Skype? I've been trying to model an AG Ship in Blender and I ragequit every time I try to start with a cube. It's driving me nuts, and I wanted to start making models for my attempt at a WipEout HD Fury clone, AeroDynasty. This game will be set in the universe of Sonic the Hedgehog, in a time after sonic dies of a ripe, old age.

The year is 3330, ten years have passed since the Anti-Gravity Racing Roots Grand Prix has propelled the sport all around Mobius. But corruption is a threat that never dies easily. Stephanos DeGroot, Directing Manager of Astrea Research and Development seceded from the Avernichii Foundation of AG Racing, along with five other teams, from the twelve that registered within the past ten years of the AGRRGP. This division by principle, outraged Argos Avernichii, and decided to use his resources to pool his six teams into an alliance dedicated to end the newly-founded Degroot Coalition's plans for domination of the MX100 Race Commission.

"They think we are outmatched, yet we are six teams united for the same purpose we strive for, liberty from corruption! If that Raptor wants to turn the League into a cesspool of carnage, he has another thing coming. Only through combined victories, can we save the Spirit of AG Racing. We are the true standard of the sport. Together we are an AeroDynasty!"
-Argos Avernichii, Avernichii Foundation Summit, 3330, day 150.

"Good Sports? PAH! We're lacking an audience, because they crave action! The kind that hedgehog won't allow. The sport is only as enjoyable, as the audience that demands it. They don't seem to care about barrel rolls and mag-strips. All they want is action! And that's what we'll give them! To Doom with Avernichii, a global Coalition, is our destiny!"
-Stephanos Degroot, DeGroot Coalition Press Assembly, 3330, day 149.

With Hyperion Enterprises leading the Charge for the Avernichii Foundation, their Lead Pilot Archibald McShane will soon determine the future of the sport!

zero3growlithe
18th August 2014, 09:55 PM
Which one of you devs has a Skype?

Every one of us have skype since that's our main way to communicate atm and it was pretty much the whole time since we got into the development of this game :D

VibiVibe
19th August 2014, 11:44 AM
Hello I'm new here
I signed up after playing your demo
First sorry for the language

I played every game wipeout, rollcage, extreme g -series so I have some experience with this type of games.
First issue is jumping camera on the geometry of the tracks,
Second - tracks are to difficult of course must give same challange but they should give fun at the fastest class.
On cassadra still fall out on jumps of because of the speed. For me wipeout 3 gameplay was the best so I like to see something similar.
It's nice to hear that someone wants to continue Wipeout game STYLE after closing the liverpool studio so
If You need some help I have some free time, i can everything static 2d (vector, digital painting, mate painting, concepts, visual identity) and some 3d modeling
Here are some concepts what i made:

http://i57.tinypic.com/33kzxn4.jpg

http://i60.tinypic.com/2466wr8.jpg

http://i58.tinypic.com/e6vmo5.jpg

Killercrusher232
20th August 2014, 10:51 AM
Wow, you guys have been busy huh?

It has been over two years since I last posted here jeez. And yet on a forum I joined only a few months ago I nearly have 2000 posts already (And it's a forum for a game I've never played and never will heh)

zero3growlithe
21st August 2014, 12:12 PM
I played every game wipeout, rollcage, extreme g -series so I have some experience with this type of games.
First issue is jumping camera on the geometry of the tracks,
Second - tracks are to difficult of course must give same challange but they should give fun at the fastest class.
On cassadra still fall out on jumps of because of the speed. For me wipeout 3 gameplay was the best so I like to see something similar.

- jumping camera on geometry, can't help it - EDIT: Well nevermind, I just fixed it lol
- difficult tracks is a matter of lack of experience in game dev in our team (narrow tracks)
- can't make wipeout 3 gameplay at current development stage

If You need some help I have some free time, i can everything static 2d (vector, digital painting, mate painting, concepts, visual identity) and some 3d modeling

Well, currently we don't have any tasks in these regions but if we'll have anything we might contact you :)

Xpand
31st August 2014, 03:55 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yllRZpo6dJI&feature=youtu.be
It took a while!

vincoof
1st September 2014, 01:04 PM
I’ve got only one thing to say:

:eek

BrunoDG
2nd September 2014, 05:12 PM
Hey, any news on this problem? Sixaxis works with usb overdrive, but I'd like to play via bluetooth with gamepad companion or something like that. ;)

Hey! Sorry for my late answer, btw! >_<
Just tried with GamePad Companion here, but am not even able to start it. The damn program keeps crashing on my Macbook Pro.
I told you about USB OverDrive because that was the one which I used to demonstrate the October Demo on BIG and for some friends.
Though I still dunno if USB Overdrive recognizes a Bluetooth Controller, but I can assure you that it recognizes the PS4 controller connected with an USB.

If there are still any doubts, please feel free to ask me or PM me :)

btw, my configuration is:

Macbook Pro 2010 (version 7.1)
4Gb DDR3 1066MHz RAM (2x 2Gb RAM)
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 Ghz
NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 Mb GPU.

- - - Updated - - -

Nope, I don't have this kind of problem. Are you sure that you configured everything right? it works normally with me o.o

Weird... can you place a printscreen or something here so I can fully understand what's going on?

Rafeku
7th September 2014, 08:08 PM
Hey guys. I'm new here... I was just accepted today, so yeah.

The game is pretty nice! Plays a lot like Pulse(though I like WO3 and WOPure styles), and gotta admit this is going somewhere, I hope it doesn't get cancelled out of sudden. The complaints I have here is the pitch, which, just don't work...The AI preety much pitches as it pleases, if you look to it playing after finishing the race; and Logos handling. No matter what I do I keep hitting the walls with that ship. I can't be playing this ship so badly... even Piranha(Pulse) feels more maneuvarable than Logos.

BUT, aside from that, the game plays very nicely, just some textures that need to be polished(IMO), other game modes(Elimination: NOOOOOOO! PLZZZ! I BEG OF YOU! < Hate that one), and the remaining tracks. Keep up the good work :)

kingpin12345
20th September 2014, 12:18 PM
Just as an idea, but when you finish the game's beta stage why not get it green listed of Steam. There's a ag racing game called quantum rush currently avalable but that game is still in the early alpha stages. I would definitely vote for SSGX to be accepted for download/pay and download depending on which one you choose. Maybe even add a free demo version with two teams and one track if you choose the pay and download option.

Blade
16th October 2014, 08:37 PM
I just recently discovered Slipstream GX, and I'm amazed at what you guys have accomplished! It's a labor of love, and it shows in the demo - it's shaping up to be an awesome game. :D

I had a few art-related questions that I thought I'd drop here - if someone knows the answers, I'd be grateful.

- Will it be eventually be possible for players to mod Slipstream GX with their own custom signage, ship models and/or liveries (skins)?

- Is there a reference document for artists anywhere listing the suggested dimensions and format (file type, # of colors, etc.) for signboards and other textures in the game? I'd love to try my hand at contributing!

- Similarly, is there an official reference posted someplace showing all the manufacturer logos and colors?

- Finally, one thing that caught my attention was the (placeholder?) pilot portraits when picking a craft. I've always had a soft spot for racing games that give the drivers names and personalities (Wipeout, WO3, Quantum Redshift, XGRA, etc.), so seeing that made me happy. Any chance of seeing a full-screen portrait of your driver in a victory pose after winning a race/circuit, similar to the original Wipeout?

Thanks, guys - I'll be following this closely as it develops!

Ace3000
17th October 2014, 02:24 PM
- Similarly, is there an official reference posted someplace showing all the manufacturer logos and colors?

Yes! The official SlipStream website (http://slipstreamgx.com) provides info on the ships.

I've always had a soft spot for racing games that give the drivers names and personalities (Wipeout, WO3, Quantum Redshift, XGRA, etc.)

Do you mean WipEout Fusion? 3 did not mention any pilots at all.

In any case, welcome to the forums, I hope you enjoy your stay! ^_^

Blade
17th October 2014, 06:50 PM
Yes! The official SlipStream website (http://slipstreamgx.com) provides info on the ships.

You know, I'd looked there earlier, but the drop down menu didn't work for me, so I assumed the info hadn't been posted yet. Turns out it was user error - I had forgotten to give NoScript permission to run scripts on the page. ^^; That's just the thing I was looking for, now that I can actually view it!

Do you mean WipEout Fusion? 3 did not mention any pilots at all.

In any case, welcome to the forums, I hope you enjoy your stay! ^_^

D'oh! Yes, that's exactly the one I was thinking of, the PS2 Wipeout. (Well, the first one, if you count the PS2 version of Pulse.) That game stuck in my memory for a few things - the pilots, ship upgrades (which I thought was a neat element), and the "off-road" dirt stretches of track, which struck me as unusual for a Wipeout game.

Thanks for the warm welcome! Looking forward to getting to know you guys. :)

Rovenami
20th October 2014, 04:10 AM
If only the teams were given pilots so that the teams could gain more of a unique personality towards the teams.

TypeProton
23rd October 2014, 02:45 PM
If only the teams were given pilots so that the teams could gain more of a unique personality towards the teams.

Uhhh... We did have those.

SZEIKAN
24th October 2014, 06:14 AM
I'm the pilot, not some random guys... The team personality can be in the backstory and management, we don't need some pilots who aren't actually ones even piloting (that's us!). But I know the SSGX team feel otherwise so oh well.

Blade
28th October 2014, 10:01 AM
Uhhh... We did have those.

I noticed the (placeholder?) b/w portraits when selecting my craft. :3 Hope the dev team does more with that!

I'm the pilot, not some random guys... The team personality can be in the backstory and management, we don't need some pilots who aren't actually ones even piloting (that's us!). But I know the SSGX team feel otherwise so oh well.

It's interesting to see the different ways people engage with characters in the games they play.

For me, I'm always controlling a character. It's never supposed to be "me". Even when I'm playing an RPG, I don't try to create myself and imagine I'm somehow "in" the game when I'm playing. I'll make up a character with their own personality and background that I think would fit into the setting. As the player, I'm the unseen presence guiding that character's hand when they're driving, shooting or what have you. So having those characters be more defined presences within the game, with faces and histories and whatnot, can really add to my enjoyment.

Xpand
8th November 2014, 06:45 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iVpT-0fRP0

DraconianWing
3rd December 2014, 05:26 PM

I agree with SZEIKAN, in my opinion it is better in a racing game like wipeout or slipstream gx to have no character pilots in game so that it feels like you are the one who is piloting the ship. If there ever comes a time where I want to follow and control a character's story in a video game, I would go and play a role-playing game instead.

Oryx Crake
3rd December 2014, 09:17 PM
well not giving too much away here, let me just tell you that the idea of having pilot characters in the game was never for you to imagine yourself as being one of them, but rather as context to the story and an obstacle to overcome, which is also why they all have alternate liveries.

docfo4r
22nd December 2014, 12:00 PM
Oryx got it right.
The faces you are seeing do not refer to the player but to the lead pilot of the team. The current UI will be reworked and there will be a better presentation which hopefully clears up this confusion :)

reason for edit: replaced "actual pilot in the ship" by "player" for added clearness, hope you don't mind

Jonny
23rd December 2014, 09:24 AM
I would like to have some characters in that game. Well of course, you time traveled to 2185 and are now a AC150 pilot, you are you, right. But I would prefer that you know who you have infront of you rather than "Oh here is a Logos, let's overtake him using a missile."

Oryx Crake
26th December 2014, 09:13 AM
Well Jonny that really is the idea of the Lead pilots, they all have their own ship liveries and you will be able to spot them and distinguish them from the regular craft, how exactly this will be implemented in the game is a bit uncertain at the moment, but you will definitely be able to see if you are racing against one of the lead pilots.

Jonny
26th December 2014, 11:07 AM
Ah you wrote this earlier. Sorry, I missed that.

docfo4r
10th May 2015, 09:04 PM
New videoblog is up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdNbf3c7oJQ

Hope you enjoy it :)

Temet
10th May 2015, 09:59 PM
Nice vid mate!
The main change I hope from the last build is a better handling of the ships ;)

Xpand
30th May 2015, 04:09 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J-TRVfVC-Q
yep, we've been doing it too, since last year!

docfo4r
4th June 2015, 05:46 PM
Some progress on Basin Park finally:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU5W6650uMs&feature=youtu.be

docfo4r
27th July 2015, 01:11 PM
New videoBlog from the programmers meeting in Poland is up :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XQWohS6b9c&feature=youtu.be

kingpin12345
27th July 2015, 08:02 PM
Hey guys, when the final version is ready, would it be possible to compact the file and make it use less RAM because when I try to play it, the game crashes after the airtime studio logo appears.

(PC specs:
Processor: AMD A4-5300 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics 3.40 GHz
RAM: 4.00 GB
System type: 64-bit Operating System)

Xpand
14th September 2015, 10:05 PM
Here's something we've been cooking up since almost a year ago. We're trying really hard to release this at the right time, but we can't promise it'll come out on the 29th this month, because we are in the middle of optimizing the game's code and bugs occur and are fixed pretty much daily. In any case, we'll make an extra effort, because without this game we wouldn't be making SSGX in the first place. We would like to extend our greatest thanks to everyone who supported us, and everyone who worked on the Wipeout series. SSGX owes its birth to them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5oMBwtztKs

docfo4r
15th September 2015, 04:56 PM
@kingpin: The next build comes with lots of optimization + built on a new version of Unity. I can't give you exact values but the performance should be better this time :)

docfo4r
29th September 2015, 05:44 PM
Sorry, nothing to see here