PDA

View Full Version : (SSGX Origins) Let's make a Wipeout game! This time for real!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15

Nathman
1st November 2012, 09:25 PM
2D art isn't much of a strong point for me, but I can definitely put some ideas together for prototype ships. I'll take a look at them and post some ideas here in the coming days.

feisar rocket
2nd November 2012, 03:34 AM
I swear, Cassie's was made by me xD Ireland first... XD good times

But now I know its Pure x Pulse so... I can shorten them up if you like? Same person can't exactly do both because one would add something they wanted to before or make it large again xD.
(just taking out the extras if you like)

And @Nath, we can make some logos together if you like :D

Nathman
3rd November 2012, 11:13 AM
Logos! I CAN do that! Could you link me to something containing all the ships/where I can find them? Mostly for ship design/colour schemes.

Xpand
3rd November 2012, 11:21 AM
Here are the ones that don't actually have a definitive prototype version:
Zepher, iFreet, LOGOS and Helios, respectively. There's still Artezix missing, but we still need to do something about that one...

Also, thanks for the help! ;)

Nathman
3rd November 2012, 11:26 AM
So after some research, it seems that the prototype ships are a little more... open? There seems to be much more of a focus on separate pieces of body/armor, attached to the main body. Would I be correct in that assertion?

- - - Updated - - -

And its my pleasure to help. WipE'out" 2097 was the first game I ever played, and thankfully I still have a copy. I'm honoured to help make this game a reality.

Xpand
3rd November 2012, 11:31 AM
I think you can go free on the prototype ships. As long as they maintain some resemblance to the original ones...

Nathman
3rd November 2012, 11:35 AM
Of course. Logos stays sleek, Zepher stays sturdy, I get your drift.

Xpand
3rd November 2012, 01:18 PM
Yeah, just don't spare on the "radical" factor.
Here's a comparison between the two Amphithere ships, to give you an idea of how the prototypes can look like:

Also if you go here:

http://sphotos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/282315_473582026008743_1037495253_n.jpg
http://sphotos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/320481_474513859248893_1029511486_n.jpg
You have the CENR and Solaris prototype sketches.

docfo4r
3rd November 2012, 02:07 PM
Take in mind that Oryx already worked out a first model for the Zepher prototype:

Oryx Crake
3rd November 2012, 07:59 PM
Actually point of fact I have redone it somewhat since then but yeah still same basic design:

feisar rocket
3rd November 2012, 08:53 PM
Pause... Prototypes?! Okay I want in on this xD

Idk... I'm just gonna draw ships, with broken hauls basically right... Alright...

Which one is who doing?

@oyrx, looks nice, very nice! ^_^!

Xpand
3rd November 2012, 09:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Cf6e6QOpgU&feature=g-all-u

Video of new DC model. Courtesy of zero3growlithe.

docfo4r
3rd November 2012, 10:51 PM
Awesome man. It always feels like DC is complete but every new update contains something and I think like "Yeah, that was missing!!" :D

Nathman
4th November 2012, 09:34 AM
Oryx, that looks absolutely amazing. I've started working on the LOGOS ship, so I'll try to post some progress tomorrow.

Oryx Crake
4th November 2012, 10:39 AM
thanks mate but most of the credit goes to Zero3growlithe and Xpand I just extrapolated from the model of the original zepher.

EDIT
made another render

Keep in mind this is a sketch and would require at least a couple of hours more before it would be ready for even texturing.

Nathman
4th November 2012, 12:37 PM
I'm not too sure about this forum's rules regarding images, so here's an Imgur link of half an hours work. This is what I'm envisioning for the Logos prototype. Edgy, sweeping and sleek. http://imgur.com/hRpOl

feisar rocket
4th November 2012, 12:48 PM
That looks great for a start ^_^!

Mine might look like a formula car >_> xD

I'm all alone, cause I'm the only person that uses pencil and paper alone xD

Nathman
4th November 2012, 02:32 PM
I'm rather eager for feedback as I'm still somewhat new to modelling.

http://imgur.com/SCcii

The red area at the back is where the cockpit will sit, or thereabouts. I'm thinking of moving the forward wings right to the front and reducing there size a little. Thoughts on this?

whitelamp
5th November 2012, 05:05 AM
Hey guys,

I have been keeping track of this project for a while, and I just want to say that I support everyone who is working on this game fully. I never thought that something like this would actually happen, and I hope that you guys make slipstream gx into the most awesome wipeout-like game ever. I am not really experienced with blender or unity, so I don't think I would be able to help out that much, but maybe I can come up with some solid track designs and concepts that could be modeled.

feisar rocket
6th November 2012, 07:25 PM
Hey White, nice to meet you! Your just like me, pencil and paper xD

Nath, that looks alright! Is it the basic shape?

And mine does look like a formula car...
Take a FEISAR, put Icarus now, flatten it, now add front and rear spoilers... XD

rdmx
7th November 2012, 05:34 AM
Not sure an AG craft really needs downforce :P

Rupang
7th November 2012, 08:00 AM
If you don't want to destabilize your craft during turning, then it's a great idea to get some sort of downforce.

Also I'm interested in the development, I got a conceptual circuit that was actually located somewhat near to the CERN base.

docfo4r
7th November 2012, 02:27 PM
Hey guys,
I see we have some new people here which is a cool thing and I am happy you guys want to support us. What we need most atm are prototype ship designs [maybe not just one, several ideas to choose are good], 2D art for sponsors etc. [check a few pages back for a list of sponsors & contact dreadofmondays for a template].
However, regarding the tracks: Creating and finalizing tracks takes up alot of time at the moment. Most of us are working on the tracks like crazy already so I hope you guys understand that we cannot or can barely start to work out your ideas. But keep your ideas in mind, maybe get yourself a modeling software and start working on it just like I did. Once we have the planned tracks completed, we can take a look at the remaining ideas and decide together which tracks SSGX still needs.

Current tracks finished or in development:
"Cassandra" by Xpand - Finished - Barcelona, Spain - City/Beach atmosphere
"Draco Cavernae" by Raptor 1 - Close to be finished - Lake Schluchsee, Germany - Forest/Lakeside
"Alphard" by zero3growlithe - Almost halfway through - Mount Unzen, Japan - Mountain area with lava cave
"Kealakekua Bay" by dreadofmondays - early progress - Kealakekua, Hawaii - Bayside
"Hubian" by TypeProton - basic layout done - unknown location, China - Chinese garden
"Nazca Remains" by docfo4r - early progress - Nazca, Peru - Desert, abandoned ambience
"Porto Kora" by Xpand - early progress - unknown location - Remake of Wip3out Porto Kora [only remake planned for SSGX]
"Basin Park" by Oryx Crake - wip - Rio, Brazil - Hills with a city in it
"Basin Park Hill" by Oryx Crake - wip - Rio, Brazil - Same location as "Basin Park", another route

You see we have 8 tracks at the moment already + a Wipeout remake and only one track is finished [still needs nighttime mode aswell]. Here are the track logos, created by TypeProton:
http://s13.postimage.org/r5k4qul07/kuq_CM.jpg

And since I think the modelers want to work out their ideas by themself, please don't be upset if we can't work on any other tracks at the moment.

rdmx
7th November 2012, 04:38 PM
Do you have any kind of 'regular' billboard size?

Btw, track design wise I'd like to see more 'landmarks' - eg. a section of track covered by sakura/blossom trees + petals, significant archways, etc. Perhaps an 'equaliser' tunnel.

Amaroq Dricaldari
7th November 2012, 04:52 PM
Not sure an AG craft really needs downforce :P

*Joking tone of voice* Ever heard of Citta Nouva?

rdmx
8th November 2012, 03:27 AM
Downforce only works if it's going fast enough ^_^

Xpand
8th November 2012, 01:03 PM
You're thinking of aerodynamic downforce. There are other ways to create it, like using RCS (reaction control system), like the ones in the space shuttle. Actually I believe if I was to build a real AG-craft the only way to make it turn while stopped or moving slowly was to use the RCS.

Rotational_aspect
8th November 2012, 02:12 PM
Although nothing to do with SSGX, I have just been experimenting and made a crazy random ship generator....if I developed it more, I could quite easily make random ships that would be different each race.

Now, that would be a good online mode.... completely unbalanced but cool!

rdmx
8th November 2012, 03:51 PM
@Xpand : the messages were in response to something about adding front and rear spoilers to a craft, hence the spiel about aerodynamic downforce

Xpand
8th November 2012, 09:04 PM
Finally I fixed those goddamn ugly grassy edges...

clojo733
9th November 2012, 03:22 PM
Is there any way I can help? I have zero experience in 3D, but I enjoy designing AG craft and circuits. :) Here is one of my designs if you're interested! http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/9727/panx.png ;p

docfo4r
9th November 2012, 03:37 PM
Hey clojo. Looks very nice. Indeed we still need some prototype ship designs. Actually for all ships except CEN-R, Amphithere & Zepher so maybe you can look at our facebook-site (https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.472740736092872.111235.472280226138923&type=3), check out the team ships and design a prototype ship. Sketches from all views are good to work with, also a 3D view would be nice, in case I'm not asking for too much of course :)

clojo733
9th November 2012, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the link, I would love to contribute! I'll try and sketch out a few different designs. :3

Xpand
9th November 2012, 05:43 PM
Solaris also has a prototype design...

docfo4r
9th November 2012, 08:41 PM
Oh, right... Maybe you can do something about Helios ;)

clojo733
9th November 2012, 09:50 PM
Okay, cool! I'll try! :D

AG-SYSTEMS
10th November 2012, 02:37 AM

I'll just drop this track design here.

It's not finished, but...

(It's a psd file.)

I don't know what to name it.

Darkdrium777
10th November 2012, 05:57 AM
Too much like Talon's Junction, no offense... The chicane is just before the loop instead of after, and there's a couple of jumps in the track.

AG-SYSTEMS
10th November 2012, 03:56 PM
Well, I didn't know that. I was just throwing stuff around.

But you do have a point.

I was not thinking about that track when I was fooling around.

feisar rocket
11th November 2012, 10:57 AM
Wait, what ship/team doesn't have a prototype?

clojo733
11th November 2012, 02:38 PM

Hey guys, I designed a prototype ship for Helios. I've done the side view and top view, but I'm really struggling with drawing the rear and front of the craft... I'll try, though. :nod

I hope the design is okay. :)

Xpand
11th November 2012, 02:45 PM
Uhh, that looks good! :D I might actually use that as a basis! Maybe thicken the pod connections and lower the cockpit height.
Thanks!
I'll ask the rest of the crew if they like it. I'll then ask you to send me a PM with your real name so we can include you in the credits, in case we end up making the ship like that. ;)

clojo733
11th November 2012, 03:01 PM
Thanks, I'm glad you like it! And yeah, you're right, it would look better with thicker connections. :)
Also, is it okay without a rear & front view or would it be better if I drew those as well? 8)

- - - Updated - - -

Also, here's the .psd file with layers in case you need it (it's also a clearer image.) :)

Xpand
11th November 2012, 03:26 PM
Just the top and side is enough.

zero3growlithe
11th November 2012, 04:11 PM
Holy potato! Those ships are awesome Chloe! :D Can i make a 3D model of this azure one? I would really love to fly with that :g What is its name?

clojo733
11th November 2012, 08:03 PM
Thanks so much! I'm glad you like it. :D
Yeah, that's fine, in fact I'd be honored if you made a model! :)

- - - Updated - - -

It's the prototype for Helios. :3

Rupang
12th November 2012, 11:49 PM
This is what i made in a jiffy. I really not quite sure what team is suitable for this design so I left it uncoloured.

feisar rocket
13th November 2012, 10:32 AM
@lojo, it looks pretty good ^_^!
@rupang, it looks pretty cool :)

Hmm... I'm almost done my drawing... I'll show my progress Thursday/Friday/Saturday

Except for that... I didnt think of any track descriptions lately...

@doc, can i see your track story again??

clojo733
13th November 2012, 03:05 PM
Thanks, Feisar Rocket! Looking forward to seeing your drawing. :)
And Rupang, your design looks pretty sweet! Looks like my kinda ship! :D

- - - Updated - - -

Also... Do you guys need any concept art for tracks or environments or anything? Because I could always have a go at that. :)

zero3growlithe
13th November 2012, 07:55 PM
Concept art for track i do need, it would be cool to have at least one track which uses mag-strip technology somewhere cos i need that for testing my code... this track will not be included in normal tracks selection though but i guess i'll need it for zone mode in some way ;)
btw. Your ship is in progress, at least 30% done, it is a bit hard to make it from one image but with that i can go crazy with imagination :P

TypeProton
14th November 2012, 06:23 AM
An EFFA advertisement. P:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y214/pchalalai/Slipstream%20GX/logo_3_EFFA-01.jpg
[.ai file (http://www.sendspace.com/file/i7ifuq)][.svg file (http://www.sendspace.com/file/i94ddv)]

rdmx
14th November 2012, 06:49 AM
reminds me of IBM :P

Only thing I'd say is change the text which says 'European Foundation for Future Advancement' to a more legible, modern font. It's at that point where what once looked futuristic looks retro (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Zeerust)

Rupang
14th November 2012, 07:03 AM
Century Gothic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Century_Gothic)perhaps? Or maybe something geometrically correct.

In our Fx-150, how established can the team get? Should we be aiming for something that is a disorganised group (early days of NASCAR) or something much more established (like typical F1 racing)?

Xpand
14th November 2012, 11:25 AM
The league is comprised of 8 teams, with two ships each. They will be the same throughout the whole campaign. In the campaign you'll only pilot a "tuned" civilian sports ship in a set of illegal races in Porto Kora. From then on you only play with the established 8 teams in the official league, still don't know if with only one team for the whole campaign or if it's swtichable.

clojo733
14th November 2012, 03:26 PM
@zero3growlithe, that's great! I'm looking forward to seeing your model, sorry I could only do the top and side views for you :redface:

Also, I do have a quick sketch of a track I did a few weeks ago which I could clean up and colour... I has the idea that it could be set on a 20th century motorway/freeway which has been modified for racing. Good idea? :)

​Ω​
14th November 2012, 10:21 PM
I recently came across some fonts used in Wipeout... it seems like they were custom made. Would anyone be interested in seeing them extracted in case they fit with someone's team logo?

Edit: I guess that would be illegal if they were made by the Wipeout team though...

Rotational_aspect
15th November 2012, 11:33 AM

How about something like this font? I bet you can never guess what it is though....

zero3growlithe
15th November 2012, 02:31 PM
Bold Arial font?

Rotational_aspect
15th November 2012, 03:25 PM
I can see your thinking, but no.

Its the font used on British railway signage (plus others):http://www.doublearrow.co.uk/rail_alphabet.htm

I've been itching to see what its like in action. I'd planned to use it in the graphical design of my game (but I'm still scripting it- so no pretty stuff for me yet!).

What do you think? Its one of my favourites as it has a nice utilitarian elegance without being fiddly.

docfo4r
16th November 2012, 01:51 PM
Hey guys, sorry for the absence, school week without internet :P

The prototype design of Helios is awesome!! Great work on that, clojo!

@doc, can i see your track story again??
Sure, here you got all facts:

Nazca Remains
Finalized: 30th September 2087
Reverse possible: Yes
Approx lap time on phantom: ~25 seconds
Description:
While the more than 200 meters large line-shaped symbols in the desert of Nazca have always been a subject for archaeologists and scientists, the abandoned constructions and buildings mainly remained undiscovered. An AG-Research establishment finally bought up the whole piece of land for a very large amount. Their goal was to create a racetrack while leaving the remains untouched. This explains the strange course of the road and why there is no crowd yet only video transmissions of the races. Anyhow the project was given up since the sponsors saw no profit. The track was left for almost 100 years now. Pilots have to be careful since there wasn’t any maintenance on the track for a long time.
When you feel loneliness combined with the spirit of mystical history, you know you're racing on "Nazca Remains"!

Nazca Remains also experienced a great update model- and texture-wise, I will do a video of it when I got a few more things done ;)

TypeProton
17th November 2012, 09:13 AM

How about something like this font? I bet you can never guess what it is though....

I can see your thinking, but no.

Its the font used on British railway signage (plus others):http://www.doublearrow.co.uk/rail_alphabet.htm

I've been itching to see what its like in action. I'd planned to use it in the graphical design of my game (but I'm still scripting it- so no pretty stuff for me yet!).

What do you think? Its one of my favourites as it has a nice utilitarian elegance without being fiddly.

Hey, interesting! Is the font free? I think I will go back and fix the ad.

Rotational_aspect
17th November 2012, 12:48 PM
The official font is very expensive, but unofficial versions (like the one I used) can be found here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=20822

I also rotated the geometric letters -90o as I thought it looked quite cool and abstract, sort of like this from Coldplays X and Y: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Coldplay_X%26Y.svg

But I love the colours you picked, very Wipeout 3!

Amaroq Dricaldari
17th November 2012, 10:00 PM
Guys, I made a song. Check it out: http://soundcloud.com/amaroq-dricaldari/taking-fire-from-all
Unfortunately, I have no way to convert the download to MP3

docfo4r
18th November 2012, 01:17 AM
Nazca Remains progress video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfN3jSZH75k&feature=g-all-u

rdmx
18th November 2012, 02:24 PM
I think the reverse route flows better than the forward :P

Colonel
18th November 2012, 03:15 PM
Absolutely love it, it's great to see the evolution of a track like that. Would love to see more videos done this way, keep up the good work guys. Positive rep given :)

Mikahail
18th November 2012, 03:28 PM
Great vid ! Nice to see the evolutions of the track in the time.

docfo4r
18th November 2012, 06:44 PM
Thank you all :) Comment like these motivate alot to spend some extra time, although when walking on the street I sometimes ask myself how much polygons this or that house would have xD

Xpand
18th November 2012, 10:11 PM
Hahah, you're starting to get the side effects from modeling! :D

Xpand
21st November 2012, 01:27 AM
You guys gotta know what track this is! :D

docfo4r
21st November 2012, 05:06 AM
Hell yeah Xpand! Excitement raised :D

rdmx
21st November 2012, 06:04 AM
Just gonna say, don't hold out on the polycount too much. You can have graphics settings you know ;)

Xpand
21st November 2012, 09:18 AM
I'm not holding out, though the graphics settings only change the texture definition and not the actual polycount for what I can tell..

rdmx
21st November 2012, 09:54 AM
Would it be possible to build a 'low' and 'high' model and load each one based on the setting?

Xpand
21st November 2012, 10:51 AM
LOD models are a bit obsolete in this kind of games... We have no problems with poly drawing in unity, only textures occupy a lot of memory if we're not careful..

AGSys
21st November 2012, 06:59 PM
Sup Xpand! I just saw that video, my god that was epic. I can't believe it's come that far now. That's what's so rare about this community; "if we can't get a new WipEout game, screw it, we'll make our own!" :D

Sausehuhn
21st November 2012, 09:03 PM
Cannot watch the video here in Germany (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blocking_of_YouTube_videos_in_Germany) :|

Xpand
21st November 2012, 09:33 PM
What video are you guys talking about? The one docfo4r posted? He had permission from the artist to use the music, plus the image is our own, the blocking doesn't make sense.

Things like these are what makes me happy to live in Portugal. No one gives a damn about using music/video without permission as long as if it is for personal use, even the government said that downloading games/movies/music isn't illegal for non-profit usage... 8)

Also, new tune:
http://soundcloud.com/rbng-1/charge

We gotta start gathering and selecting the music for the soundtrack...

AGSys
21st November 2012, 10:00 PM
Yeah that one. That's the game you're working on, correct?

Xpand
21st November 2012, 10:03 PM
Yes, me, docfo4r (that's his track), zero3growlithe, OryxCrake, TypeProton, BrunoDG, F.E.I.S.A.R, dreadofmondays, Raptor1 as the core team, and you guys here...

Darkdrium777
22nd November 2012, 01:02 AM
He had permission from the artist to use the musicThat doesn't matter. GEMA is an old dusty piece of garbage and everything containing third party audio on Youtube is blocked by it in Germany. I don't approve of the regional licensing companies like Sony and Warner do, and these guys are saying that GEMA is a complete failure, so that should tell you something.

As for texture resolution, we're getting to the point that cards have a lot of memory. My card from five years ago has 640MB of memory, and my new one 2GB. High end Radeons have 3GB and NVIDIA 4GB. We have cheap cards out now with 1GB of memory for around 100$ or less. Don't be afraid to use more memory.
Just my opinion.

Another thing, the lighting could be a bit more contrasted, shadows should be a bit darker in that video for example.

Xpand
22nd November 2012, 01:09 AM
I see...

The track isn't lightmapped yet, that's why there are almost no signs of shading. We need to have a strong light to get defined shadows when the lightmapping is done.

docfo4r
22nd November 2012, 05:10 AM
@Sausehuhn yeah Germany sucks. Even with the permission, YouTube makes no differences, it scans the audio and if it's copyright material, it will be blocked. But I will upload the video to dailymotion or some other place so the German people can also watch it :) For any future videos I won't use music by well-known artists any more :P

And yes, there is no particular lightmapping on the track, also the sunlight itself is not set up correctly. I'll get to that in later versions of the track. I figured it doesn't make sense to lightmap the track yet when I'm not done placing objects on it.

Darkdrium777
22nd November 2012, 05:39 AM
Sorry, I figured it would build those automatically when saving. A little too used to Unreal Engine there I guess...

Xpand
24th November 2012, 05:12 PM

A whole night and day of modeling.... The guilty feelings are crushing me! xD

docfo4r
24th November 2012, 10:38 PM
Man, now THAT is progress :D Looks very nice, Porto Kora is coming along well.

clojo733
26th November 2012, 07:43 PM
Your Porto Kora is amazing Xpand! Looking forward to flying on it! :+

docfo4r
27th November 2012, 08:00 PM
Hey guys.

To keep you informed about all the basic stuff in SSGX, we created a little public presentation for you:
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1Ieaa0_t7wnEI3T2b59NnXrdwGsnNDahQmPLlTID0pYQ/edit?pli=1#slide=id.p

It will be updated with the current progress from time to time. So make sure to check it out sometimes ;)

whitelamp
28th November 2012, 01:53 AM
I just wanted to chime in again that while I may not post often in this thread, I am amazed at what has been accomplished so far in regards to slipstream gx, and I can't wait to see further progress. Like I said before, the fact something like this even exists (and actually got off the ground) is amazing.

Colonel
28th November 2012, 07:13 AM
Nice presentation Doc, screenshots are looking great :)

docfo4r
28th November 2012, 04:58 PM
Thanks alot :)
Screenshot were coming from the whole team, I just sticked them together ;) We will keep it updated.

Also for all the people from Germany, who could not watch the Nazca Remains progress video, use this link:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xvg450_slipstream-gx-nazca-remains-progress-video_videogames

dreadofmondays
28th November 2012, 11:16 PM
Hey guys, we've just put up our first blog post! Go check it out! :D you can find it on the blog section of the website (quick link here (http://www.slipstreamgx.com)). Thanks guys!

rdmx
30th November 2012, 05:09 PM
Saw the weapon icons on the website. They're nice designs, but they are FAR too similar to each other, especially if you take colour out of the equation.

docfo4r
30th November 2012, 07:35 PM
Yeah, we recognized that aswell. Especially the green section, you can't really see what a Turbo and what a Phantomizer is if you can't compare them. dreadofmondays did a nice job on the current designs [he has more, not only the ones on the website] and we are trying to optimize them. So take the current one's as a placeholder at the moment :)

Xpand
1st December 2012, 01:36 AM
CENR Prototype

MyNameIsBom
1st December 2012, 12:10 PM
I gotta say, this is amazing! The quality of this game could reach game studio's standards O_o
I cant wait until another test version comes out! xD
I suppose you guys dont need any more tracks at the moment huh?

docfo4r
1st December 2012, 08:52 PM
Thanks for your kind words :) Well, at the moment we have a set of tracks we are working on. I guess we will finish them at first and then see if we need more tracks or not [track creating is actually one of the things that takes most time].

About the test version, well you might don't have to wait too long any more ;) We want to finish something regarding coding, sound effects etc. as of now though.

MyNameIsBom
2nd December 2012, 10:04 AM
I could be the game tester xD As I can't really do any programming or any fancy stuff. But I do want to help in some way with the project.

TheCactuarKing
3rd December 2012, 10:30 PM
thats badass, and are you just creating these from your head or are you using any references besides the ships? im trying to create some like these too

- - - Updated - - -

nice game document DOCFO4R the game is looking awesome

- - - Updated - - -

also do you need any more modelers or textures?
my skills are in 3dsmax, zbrush, Photoshop and a tiny bit of topogun. let me know.

Xpand
3rd December 2012, 11:28 PM
Cassandra's civic center got a BIG makeover:

Here's the before:

Also: I was quite baffled when I noticed the detail in cenr's bump map. I was expecting something a bit blurry, and I got this instead:

TheCactuarKing
4th December 2012, 08:39 AM
nice quality on the bump map, what resolution are you rendering out to?

Xpand
4th December 2012, 02:14 PM
The textures are square with 1024 px.

TheCactuarKing
5th December 2012, 12:41 PM
thank you, it looks very sharp/clean! i like it

DeadTomGC
5th December 2012, 10:26 PM
Do you guys need a hand writing your game? I'm new here, but I saw your videos on Youtube and was directed here by your site. I do enjoy programming games, and I haven't bought a racing game in a while because I haven't seen any that are good, so I'm definitely interested in helping out for the fun of it and to have a good racing game to play.

BTW, 2 of my favorite racing games are Lego racers 2 and Fatal Inertia. So, that's where I'm coming from in design preference.

As far as programming background... I'm self taught mostly. Recently I've been taking some classes on it though as technical electives in my EE major.

So, what system are you going with? I saw some talk about using the XNA framework and/or the unity engine.

BTW, I'm not a good artist, but it looks like you don't need too much art design skill (Just guessing) as much as you need the skill to get the art into the game, which I might be able to help with.

Anyway, I don't really know what the point of my post is, I just want to know what is going on here without reading 300 pages of stuff....

bpinflag
6th December 2012, 01:51 AM
Looks impressive. It would be cool when the final product gets closer if you had some community contest to design tracks and ships? Just throwin' out ideas.

Oryx Crake
6th December 2012, 07:35 AM
we haven't yet decided on anything specific regarding community outreach but I can tell you that the final ship roster is decided if not entirely completed and implemented, as is likely the track list. This does of course not necessarily mean that we don't like input or that ideas are not welcome, there will always be gaps that need to be filled so input is much appreciated.

as for community outreach we are seriously talking about that we're not entierly sure how to go about it though so I don't want to say too much but rest assured that we're well aware of the need to keep in touch with the roots of the game, namely this community. And we are quite frankly baffled at how positive the response has been, thank you all for your kind words.

Xpand
13th December 2012, 06:45 PM
Look who's here!
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=475231509194913&saved#!/photo.php?v=475231509194913

Blocky came to say hello! :D

TypeProton
14th December 2012, 01:10 AM
Look who's here!
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=475231509194913&saved#!/photo.php?v=475231509194913

Blocky came to say hello! :D

*Rolls around in joy*

Xpand
14th December 2012, 07:59 PM
Oh boy!
ATLAS Enforcer

docfo4r
15th December 2012, 09:28 AM
The rear looks brutal! I like it.

=======================================

Coming up: Time Trial challenge
Time for you guys to show us your skills. More info's & the release will be on christmas. For now, check out the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AYSzGDk8w0

clojo733
15th December 2012, 08:30 PM
Hey guys, the game is coming along nicely!
I just downloaded the SSGX demo, but I'm sorry to say that I'm having some trouble with it. I am unable to make a selection on the main menu! I have tried all of the buttons I can think of, but which button is used to make a selection? Just asking, in case I haven't tried them all. It could just as easily be an issue with my computer, though. :)

PS. I have another idea for a ship which I'm gonna draw soon if you need one. :D

Xpand
15th December 2012, 08:58 PM
Uhh that old demo! lol
The selections available are in white. To select something you need to press "Enter".

clojo733
15th December 2012, 09:16 PM
That didn't work either unfortunately... Must be a problem with my computer, or I have pressed something I shouldn't! (when the game is running my mouse is showing, could I have tabbed out or something by accident? I don't know, it's probably not that...)

Vorpal-Knife
15th December 2012, 11:08 PM
Thats the old demo - the key on my computer is the 'X' key ... then it works .. found out buy pressing every single key :D
Where do you download the new demo?

So yeah great game. your website requests for more help.
I may not be able to work full time, but I have spent a fair couple of hours working in unity myself,
and I know the API fairly well along with C# and Java , and 3DSMax , and Photoshop , and Ableton.
Neither am I a pro programmer or artist but I can work on a few things , like better particle effect , modeling the boulders better, touch up on some missing code comments etc...etc...

if you send me the source to the project... or better host it on github ... that's if you want it open source :D

docfo4r
15th December 2012, 11:31 PM
@clojo733: It is indeed "x" to make a selection. At least for me ["enter" didn't work, Xpand]. That is because the controls are attached to the PS3-controller. Controller's X to make a selection and to thrust the ship is the same for keyboard: X for selection, X for the ship. But like Vorpal said, the demo is very old actually. Wait for the christmas release :)

@Vorpal: Thank you very much for the support and for caring our project. I'd like to say that every helping hand is useful of course but at the moment we got many responses due to the text on the website. Actually too many already, haha. So we took down that text.
About helping in the project: Well I hope you won't get me wrong, but we are not sharing the code directly or on first contact with other people. That is because we encountered some people who offered help and we gave some blueprints, models etc. to work on but somehow we didn't get a reply any more. So we are very careful with the deeper things on the project, especially the coding. We are not in direct need of any help at the moment but of course we will keep in mind everyone who sticks to the project. This way we get to know new people a bit better and we find out if we ride the same wave regarding our image of what SSGX really is. And if we have something for you to work on, then we will get back in touch.

Vorpal-Knife
16th December 2012, 09:18 AM
Ahh yeah, kwlz.
what if I build assets which I believe is needed and just send it to you - it's your wish if you want to use them or not.
I mean , I need something to do at 1 O'clock in the morning :

phaeton_pl
16th December 2012, 10:31 AM
I wasn't here for 18 months or so. Great idea with making a game, i see progress is really astonishing. Where can i find downloadable demo?
Keep up good work guys :clap

clojo733
16th December 2012, 10:52 AM
Alright, thanks for being so helpful... I'll wait for the Christmas update. Really excited to play the game! :D

docfo4r
16th December 2012, 11:01 AM
Hey phae ;)

Thanks alot. Well we once released a demo, actually some months ago and it's totally overworked now already xD But we will have a demo to try [even packed into a little competition] on christmas so if you can wait for a few more days, you got something fresh and brand new to try since the code lines are literally being written just at this moment :D

clojo, I am excited aswell haha :D

zero3growlithe
16th December 2012, 12:01 PM
Vorpal-Knife: Well, I'm not a professional programmer either xD Learned programming totally from zero, no experience in this language nor in using this software (Unity 3D) 1,5 year ago x. x Anyway, have u done anything in Unity that can be judged so i can see if u could be helpful? :P Cos it would be great to have a helping hand... maybe someone who could take care of online multiplayer basics :g

Ace3000
17th December 2012, 05:18 AM
If and when I install the christmas update demo, would it just replace the other demo I have installed on my computer?

docfo4r
17th December 2012, 08:33 AM
The christmas release is a standalone release and won't update the old demo. So when you install the christmas release, the files of the old demo won't be touched.

Xpand
19th December 2012, 10:19 PM
Yep... Self explanatory...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqPmbKevEIs

docfo4r
19th December 2012, 10:25 PM
Effects taken from the cursed tape of "The Ring" xD
Looks great, man. Cassandra is coming to life.

TheCactuarKing
20th December 2012, 06:04 AM
o god, just seen the video, im excited for xmas this year now. can't wait to test it out :)

JFthebestJan
20th December 2012, 07:52 PM
my PC is very old :) , i have winXP32, 128mb radeon9700, 1gb ram! so my question is, can i run your game on this machine?

Xpand
20th December 2012, 09:00 PM
Hmm not sure about that graphics card and ram. I have a laptop which is also outdated in today's standarts and I can run the game, though in medium quality settings. It's a matter of trying I guess...

docfo4r
20th December 2012, 09:11 PM
I have a laptop, win7-64bit, 8GB RAM and intel core i5 with 2,67GHz and can only run the game on medium quality and it still feels like it's lagging a bit.
I have a PC, win7-64bit, 4GB RAM and a very old Dualcore, and nVidia 9800GT, game runs smooth on highest settings :D

In your case I think you have to go with mediocre settings aswell.

Xpand
22nd December 2012, 09:11 PM
Atlas Enforcer. Last one out.

Ace3000
24th December 2012, 07:11 AM
Will the Atlas be included in the Christmas Update?

docfo4r
24th December 2012, 09:51 AM
Hey,
christmas update will contain the Thruster ST-116 only. Since it is a competition, everybody needs to use the same ship. Only color scheme comes up random :)

dreadofmondays
24th December 2012, 03:39 PM
Christmas update is out! :D You can get it through our website: http://www.slipstreamgx.com . We've also updated our blog with a new post, so go and check that out also! Thanks guys, and have fun :D

rdmx
24th December 2012, 05:44 PM
I get a pretty nasty frame skip bug whenever I pass a speed pad.

Seems to happen regardless of graphics settings, V-Sync on or off, windowed or fullscreen, regardless of resolution.

Rig:
Windows 8 pro x64
i7-3770k @ 4.3ghz
gtx 670
12gb ram

Xpand
24th December 2012, 05:59 PM
Are you sure you're not mistaking it for the camera movement?

I'm running this on my 3Gb Ram 2.53GHz i3 laptop and it runs pretty smoothly. And none of the 5 people bug testing this game yesterday reported anything like that.

rdmx
24th December 2012, 06:33 PM
It's like the game render loop skips when I pass a speed pad. I tried turning off the post processing and hud shake and it didn't make a difference. If it persists, I'll try and make a video of it tommorow.

JFthebestJan
24th December 2012, 08:29 PM
i can play it with "fastest" settings and 1920x1080.
pretty smooth for a beta, so hands up for the development team :)
my system: winXP32SP2; 1gb ram; 128mb radeon9700; amd athlon64

docfo4r
24th December 2012, 10:31 PM
Hey Jan,
pretty insane race time you have there :D Try more, improve and save your best screenshot. Remember, if you want to take part of the competition we can only count in screenshots that have been sent to our E-Mail. Screenshots on the forum here are cool, but they won't get used in the competition then.

@rdmx: I'll create a bug report thread for these things right away. No need to post your certain situation over there again, though. We noticed it and will have a look into that.

JFthebestJan
24th December 2012, 10:45 PM
i think a 2:08:xx is possible. i struggle with the BRs, just accidental success until now. and the SS isn`t always working correctly. but all in all i like it VERY much :D

edit: i like it, that you thought of rewarding perfect lines. every wall hit costs you speed! very good :)

edit2: 2:09:78

2:07:20 is possible :)

i found 3 different BR spots, maybe a 4th BR´s possible into the long left corner (downhill section near the end)

rdmx
25th December 2012, 06:22 AM
Here's a video of the bug I've been having: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYF-yU7Vn4k

Ace3000
25th December 2012, 11:25 AM
Jesus Christ, I suck.

I can not do any better than 2:16.9

Xpand
25th December 2012, 11:45 AM
Here's a video of the bug I've been having: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYF-yU7Vn4k

Weird, that's no frame skip. It looks like the camera animation when you go over the speed pad is delayed by a little less than a second... We got to look into that. I usually get that when I'm running at high resolution in my weak laptop because of the low frame rate...

docfo4r
25th December 2012, 11:52 AM
Yep, same here. I tried SSGX on very high settings, and get some frameskips anywhere but not on the speed pads in particular. Otherwise it works just fine here.
@rdmx It looks like you ship won't even get accelerated at first, but then a frameskip happens and the ship got pushed forward. It all should be much smoother. We'll check that out.

@Ace I am sure you can do better ;) Your first lap was 33.xx so with some practice you can get several laps in that time and improve your overall race time :D
BTW: So awesome you have 2nd and 3rd lap with exactly the same time and amount of speed pads :D Cool thing haha

Hellfire_WZ
25th December 2012, 12:45 PM
WHAAAT!? And there was me thinking getting just under 2:30 was good! Bloody hell, you lot never cease to amaze me ;)

JFthebestJan
25th December 2012, 01:02 PM
5BRs possible :)

docfo4r
25th December 2012, 03:56 PM
After receiving some bug reports, our coder zero3growlithe quickly sorted them out and released a new version for the time trial competition.
You can find the link on our website (http://www.slipstreamgx.com) or HERE (http://www.mediafire.com/?m37b7195bmg18zq).

Make sure to use this version for the Time Trial competition.

The updates:
+ Sideshift delay included
+ Speed pad issue fixed
+ Airbreaks colors fixed
+ More Blocky voices added
+ Readme file updated

I hope this makes the game more enjoyable. Thank you all for reporting the bugs :)

JFthebestJan
25th December 2012, 09:46 PM
SSGXv1.1
TT 2:07:33
2nd photo, 2nd lap, i defeated ZICO without BRs :D

docfo4r
25th December 2012, 10:12 PM
xD hehe. Nice times you have there :)

Is side-shifting better now?

Ace3000
26th December 2012, 04:24 AM
2:11.18 Getting better, not too pleased with the 34.41 on the first lap, ugh. I could've done a 2:09. if I'd done a 32.

docfo4r
26th December 2012, 09:37 AM
Cool.

Hehe yeah it's all about practice ;)

JFthebestJan
26th December 2012, 01:31 PM
new fastest lap 30.55 no BR 25 SP. the track has normally just 24 SPs to offer. the long left downhill corner begins with 2 SPs (1left/1right) fly through their center and it`ll count as 2 SPs.

edit: is it right that BRs doesn`t cost ship energy?

amplificated
26th December 2012, 02:17 PM
Just thought I'd say that this clearly isn't "beta". Looks like you've put some effort in, but it's clearly nowhere near finished n' just requiring some touching up, based on the Christmas demo you've labelled as being in beta. More like an alpha preview.

Can't say too much about the game because it freezes for half a sec or so every time I touch a speed pad, so it's unplayable for me. Actually, the countdown voice sounds like an annoying kid, I can say that, lol -_-

RaTcHeT302
26th December 2012, 02:25 PM
I like the new demo, now my ship doesn't get atracted like a magnet to the ground smashing itself into pieces whenever I turn, anyway, I made this mockup menu for the results screen, would it look better like this? As currently I saw that there's lot's of empty and wasted space.

Also the HUD is too far away, it shouldn't be so near to the corners but a bit more near to the center.

AND WHY DO THE SHIPS SOUND LIKE VACUUM CLEANERS?!

docfo4r
26th December 2012, 03:22 PM
@Jan that's right, BR's won't cost you ship energy as of now.

@amp Did you download the updated version? There was indeed something wrong on the speed pads, but zero3growlithe sorted something out which appeares to be a bug.

@RaTcheT the result screen is just made for this demo quickly, it will contain much more info in the final version. Also the sounds will get updated. As you may have noticed, there is no sound for a barrel roll aswell. We'll also overwork resolution adaption to the HUD since it depends on resolution, the size of the text and bars.

Thanks anyone for the feedback. Yeah, of course we are not even halfway done with the game. Lots of things will get updated. What you see is not the final product, the whole game is still WIP. We only created this build to launch a contest and for you to have something which you actually can play for yourself instead of a YT video to watch :)

Xpand
26th December 2012, 03:25 PM
Lol... I dunno who named this beta. The game isn't even 10% complete. All we got so far is a sort of game with one or two tracks where you can race a few laps around, not much more than that.

RaTcHeT302
26th December 2012, 03:31 PM
@RaTcheT the result screen is just made for this demo quickly, it will contain much more info in the final version.

Well it didn't take much for me to make that either, and also I wasn't bothered by the ammount of information displayed, it was bothering me how the space was badly used.

docfo4r
26th December 2012, 03:36 PM
It's because only for this release, there is not much info displayed. In the final game, there is much more info and we need that space then.

Once again people, it's just a fun demo release :P

rdmx
26th December 2012, 03:49 PM
Happy to report that the speed pad issue was fixed for me :)

I think you guys need to be careful of the visual UI design, including the HUD design, menu design, weapon icon design. As it stands it seems like they are pretty dissonant from each other. Also ratchet, that is a little too close to Wipeout HD for my taste :P

docfo4r
26th December 2012, 03:55 PM
And a little too plain aswell. White bg with text and not much roon for more statistics like how many br's, speed pads, perfect laps, lap records etc. ;)

RaTcHeT302
26th December 2012, 04:07 PM
Anyway, I'm really happy with the new physics, the old ones were really odd.

rdmx
26th December 2012, 04:49 PM

made a quick result screen mockup

zero3growlithe
26th December 2012, 09:16 PM
5BRs possible :)

Only 5 BRs? I counted 8 in one lap.

clojo733
27th December 2012, 12:54 AM
Love the new release! The game feels more complete- especially with the countdown at the beginning, and the physics feel a lot better (also this new version has airbrakes & PS3 controller compatibility, which is great! :D)

Well anyway, here's my results screen:
I don't know if it's any good, in fact I'm afraid that I scratched the paintwork on my ship with all the wall-scraping I was doing! XD

- - - Updated - - -

Love the new release! The game feels more complete- especially with the countdown at the beginning, and the physics feel a lot better (also this new version has airbrakes & PS3 controller compatibility, which is great! :D)

Well anyway, here's my results screen:
I don't know if it's any good, in fact I'm afraid that I scratched the paintwork on my ship with all the wall-scraping I was doing! XD

- - - Updated - - -

I pressed the reply button twice... -_-

- - - Updated - - -

AHAHAAAA! DISREGARD MY PREVIOUS RESULT SCREEN! >:D

docfo4r
27th December 2012, 01:49 AM
Hey clojo, thank you :)
Not bad so far. Get a little more practice and don't forget to send your best time until January 7th to slipstreamgx@gmail.com

Maybe you can make up for the scratched paint of your ship by designing a new paint artwork in case you win the comp :D But beware, I already saw, the contestant is raw ^^

amplificated
27th December 2012, 05:50 AM
@amp Did you download the updated version? There was indeed something wrong on the speed pads, but zero3growlithe sorted something out which appeares to be a bug.

You're right, I didn't notice your post regarding the new version. The speed pads appear to be fixed.

Ace3000
27th December 2012, 06:35 AM
[never mind, I made a mistake, disregard this message]

Temet
27th December 2012, 06:44 AM
Oh come on, nobody has been doing a video? :'(

zero3growlithe
27th December 2012, 07:59 AM
aah, whatever, delete this post xD

Ace3000
27th December 2012, 08:57 AM
Oh come on, nobody has been doing a video? :'(

I would, but I do not have any Desktop recording software, and I have no way of buying any decent software.

RaTcHeT302
27th December 2012, 08:59 AM
Of their record? I could attempt but I doubt I'd get a good time with my broken controller.

docfo4r
27th December 2012, 10:13 AM
@Ace3000 I know the current Fraps is not freeware any more but "HyperCam2" is, and works pretty nice performance-wise. Maybe you can give it a try ;)

JFthebestJan
27th December 2012, 12:06 PM
Only 5 BRs? I counted 8 in one lap.

BRs doesn`t work very well to be honest, so every single BR i got until now was 100% random success! "left right left" or "right left right" isn`t working properly. same with SideShifting, the game seems to not recognise it correctly when i make my inputs. whoever came up with the track design of "cassandra" is a fckn genius, i love the layout more as any other HD track of wipeout! the long left downhill is brilliant. and i hope that the final game will feature fwd and rev versions of the tracks, cause cassandra rev is a lot of fun too :)

docfo4r
27th December 2012, 12:34 PM
Hey,
do you play the game using the controller or the keyboard? Input seem to be more accurate on keyboards.

Also, the tracks can be raced forwards and backwards in the final game, as well as on daytime and nighttime :)

JFthebestJan
27th December 2012, 12:43 PM
i play with the "logitech dual action usb". i can`t play with keyboard.

zero3growlithe
27th December 2012, 01:08 PM
Barrel Rolls not working? Well, they do here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpHMk_Udc1U (I'm not taking part in competition so don't bother with my time)
EDIT: Also, side shifts work perfect even on controller (I'm using PS3 controler), u sure it isn't game pad's fault?

JFthebestJan
27th December 2012, 01:46 PM
maybe perfectly on your computer, on my system BRs are completely random! sometimes the ship`s doing a BR without me doing the "left right left" kombo. sometimes SideShifting needs 3-4 fast inputs to be executed.

edit: i know 2 BRs that`re not visible in your video ;)

GekkoP
27th December 2012, 01:59 PM
Any chance to have a version for Linux operative systems? It's been years since I used anything Microsoft/Apple related on regular basis.

zero3growlithe
27th December 2012, 03:04 PM
@JF: This double BR combo on this turn on hill before corkscrew building? I know it too but couldn't make it in this movie :/
@GekkoP: Well, about that, I tried to fire up this game on linux but i have Fedora and it didn't work there xd Don't know what about other distributions. No idea what is the file format of Linux build cos there aren't any written, no idea if it is normal x. X
Anyway I'll upload it today if i won't forget so u can check it out.

RaTcHeT302
27th December 2012, 05:33 PM
My analog from my PS3 controller rotates on itself, the soft gum or whatever it is making my ship always go left and right making me hit walls in a silly way. Also barell rolls and boost don't work for me for some reason.

docfo4r
27th December 2012, 06:43 PM
If the analog rotates itself, maybe that is the cause of the BR's not working. Have you tried to configure the analog sticks in your system configuration? I have two controllers, one works well and the other one sometimes also drags my ship to the left a little.

By boost, you mean speedpads? Did you already download the updated version?

RaTcHeT302
27th December 2012, 07:55 PM
No the ship's boost. And I'm talking about the thing attached on top of the dpad's stick itself, I don't know how to explain that (the glue under it probably went away).

docfo4r
27th December 2012, 08:15 PM
Ahh ok. Broken controller :P Damn!

The ship boost is not available anymore. It was only a testing purpose. We'll have a Turbo pickup like in Wipeout.

stin
28th December 2012, 03:13 PM
This game are pretty amazing but I`m struggling with my controller (PS3) to calibrate cos, of PDF file are different or maybe different with my daughter`s latest laptop. Anyway, keep up the good work.

stevie:)

vincoof
2nd January 2013, 12:26 PM
Any chance to have a version for Linux operative systems? It's been years since I used anything Microsoft/Apple related on regular basis.
Wine does wonders to many Windows-based games. I don't remember if it requires you to have Windows installed on one of your partitions, though.

dreadofmondays
6th January 2013, 01:26 PM
Just a reminder that it is now the final day for submissions in our contest, so pilot as best as you can and show us your times :D
There's been a bit of confusion so just to set the record straight, we will accept screenshots that are posted on the forums, so go for it :)

clojo733
7th January 2013, 08:01 PM
Hey! I was gonna submit my screenshot via email, but it's not working so I'll just submit it here if you don't mind. ;p

I very much doubt that I got close to a placing, but it's my best time yet and I'm proud of it. I very much enjoyed taking part in the competition, though. It was fun to have a challenge. :3

zero3growlithe
8th January 2013, 09:03 AM
Hmmm, attachment u gave seem to be invalid, could you repost it?
And good to hear you're enjoying the game ;)

clojo733
8th January 2013, 06:08 PM

There you go! Hope it works this time. :3

Xpand
8th January 2013, 06:34 PM
hmm try hosting the image in imgur or something, we still can't open it...

clojo733
8th January 2013, 08:24 PM
http://i.imgur.com/sZ8k6.jpg?1

That better? :b

docfo4r
9th January 2013, 04:59 AM
That's perfect. Thank you. Nice times!

RaTcHeT302
9th January 2013, 04:05 PM
Would it be possible to make my own models in Maya 2013 for the game? If yes what would I need to export them as? I'm still learning but I'd gladly help.

I could even do some 2D art too.

Xpand
9th January 2013, 05:01 PM
Sorry, we only need programmers now. The modeling and concept part has already a lot of people working on it. Besides we already have all of the ships, and the tracks are all thought out and being modeled too...

Doesn't mean you can't come up with some prototype designs, more specifically LOGOS or ATLAS, I think those are the ones left.

Let me list:
Amphithere: modeled
CENR: modeled
Solaris: designed, ready to start modeling
Helios: Clojo's design is going to be slightly modified, but that's it.
Zepher: Oryx has a sort of concept
LOGOS: nothing done yet
ATLAS: nothing done yet
iFreet: I don't know, but I think Oryx also has an idea for that one.

docfo4r
12th January 2013, 01:13 PM
Finally an update from me, modeling-wise. I am working on two tracks currently... "Nazca Remains" and the Zone/PF track "Electrogrid".

For Nazca Remains
The landscape texture is not final, you will notice some seams.
http://s9.postimage.org/3wrzmirtp/nr1.jpg
http://s9.postimage.org/nsnz228v1/nr2.jpg
http://s9.postimage.org/6gnmgmfdp/nr3.jpg

Also the ruins near the start grid are very basic at the moment :)
http://s9.postimage.org/civ9743tp/nr4.jpg

For Electrogrid
Very early WIP. First thing to notice is that the track walls are not textured. That is because we still need to discuss how to create destructible ones for Platformer.
http://s9.postimage.org/gvp7bsn6l/eg1.jpg

Blocky screen is also ready already :)
http://s9.postimage.org/salogezj1/eg3.jpg

The yellow/green track section is actually 3D, you will notice it when driving on it later on. Of course there will be a lot of light pulsing etc. going on then.
http://s9.postimage.org/yn0tq92l9/eg2.jpg

This picture is not accidentially turned upside down. In fact there will be a short track section where you look at the ground instead of the sky :D Of course provided with a maglock. Since we didn't discuss how the maglock section should look alike, this section also is untextured atm.
http://s9.postimage.org/hp1t4et7h/eg4.jpg

So I hope you guys can get an idea of the look of a computer-simulated Zone track in SSGX...

RaTcHeT302
14th January 2013, 10:49 AM
You've put the images all wrongly. Open the image itself into a new page then put that link into the image tags.

docfo4r
18th January 2013, 01:46 PM
Exactly what I did.... Strange :/

MENGKESHI
18th January 2013, 11:15 PM
Hey guys, sorry to be late to the party, just wondering if you need a programmer for anything? I have very limited game experience but a strong background in AI programming with several years professional experience and can pick up languages fast. I am a java/c++ programmer but have experience in functional programming too. If I can be of any help let me know! Would be very interested to work on any physics or AI or pretty much anything really as I'm sure this will be fun as well as great programming experience! I'm also generally pretty busy with work but will take this as seriously as time allows! No problem if not required!

EDIT: Forgot to mention that optimising algorithms is one of my main areas especially when it comes to memory and time complexity etc. if that can be of any help!

docfo4r
19th January 2013, 12:00 AM
Hey Mengkeshi, thanks for your message. In fact we only have zero3growlithe to do the main programming and BrunoDG to help him out so another hand is highly helpful to us. But since I am not coding anything, I'd suggest you contact zero3growlithe by yourself or wait for his reply here. He has the best overview about upcoming tasks in programming and can tell you if and where he needs a hand.

For your general info: We are working with Unity, so it would be helpful if you can dig yourself into that program ;) Your experiences in Java/C++ might come in handy here :)

zero3growlithe
19th January 2013, 09:30 AM
Hey Mengkeshi, I'm glad you want to help with the most important and hardest part (i guess xd), I'll need some help as I don't have much experience with programming and I don't know how I can make some things better in my code. Do you have Skype so we can contact more freely? My Skype name is zero3growlithe.

MENGKESHI
19th January 2013, 03:18 PM
Great!! I do have skype - name mengkeshi although my account has been hijacked by someone - should have it back in a couple of days and from then on can use it as a main contact although my office internet connection is not great. Alternatively or in addition I'll pm you my email address and just feel free to contact me anytime (email is the best form of contact for me and I can normally respond pretty quickly!). I have to say I've looked at the youtube videos and what you guys have done so far looks incredible. I'll read up on Unity tomorrow - thanks and hope I can be of help! :)

docfo4r
24th January 2013, 03:37 PM
Hey guys,
the website (http://www.slipstreamgx.com) experienced a little update, you can now see the new weapon symbols over there. We also have a new pickup in exchange for "Gravitron" so make sure to check it out ;)

Further on, we have been working full power on SSGX for months now but of course some of you know that the development of this game reaches back 'till 2010. Now we have a little video ready giving you insight from very early content until test clips from after the most current built. Caution: Lot's of working-in-progress clips can be seen here. Take a peek at the evolution of SSGX up to the recent date:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnpSBbi9ja0

vincoof
25th January 2013, 08:47 AM
That's one hell of a video! Incredibly professional, especially considering SlipStream GX is an amateur game.

docfo4r
25th January 2013, 12:44 PM
Thanks alot, man :)

GalacticSpartan
27th January 2013, 03:27 AM
That's amazing. I hope you get more success for your game. Hopefully play it on the Vita one day. :cowboy

docfo4r
27th January 2013, 07:09 AM
Thank you :) Yeah once we got the PC version finished, I guess it is not a big deal to port it to other systems ;)

Ekko
27th January 2013, 07:43 PM
Just a question - sorry if I'm posting it in the wrong place - is there still need for sound fx? I would like to get involved in this. I'm working as a sound designer here in Berlin and would love to do SFX for this project. Cheers everyone, great efforts.

zero3growlithe
28th January 2013, 09:31 PM
Hey Ekko! It would be great if you could make SFX for us as this is what we need now! :D Like explosions, ship hitting and scratching walls and other ships and shooting and menu navigation sounds and well, I don't know how about ship engine sound but I guess it sounds creepy xd (microphone + air blow + audacity = nothing good :g) so we look forward to working with you :nod:+

Ekko
28th January 2013, 09:47 PM
Hey Ekko! It would be great if you could make SFX for us as this is what we need now! :D Like explosions, ship hitting and scratching walls and other ships and shooting and menu navigation sounds and well, I don't know how about ship engine sound but I guess it sounds creepy xd (microphone + air blow + audacity = nothing good :g) so we look forward to working with you :nod:+

This is great! I'll send you a pm!

lolrust
2nd February 2013, 03:21 PM
Really looking forward to this. Awesome job.

artcloud
7th February 2013, 10:58 AM
What a great initiative! I would like to get involved in this too. :) Is there still some need for something? Maybe some 3D Models, sketches or music? Please let me know! :D

Xpand
7th February 2013, 11:53 AM
Well... We already have 3D modelers, but I think you could give a try at creating some of the tracks we have planned be it sketching views or actual modeling. Also for music, we already have a big a** original soundtrack, but it's still not definitive.

Just show some of the stuff you can do in the areas you cited and we'll get in touch with you again! :D

dreadofmondays
14th February 2013, 01:41 AM
Guys, we've put up our next blog post on our website (quick link here (http://www.slipstreamgx.com)). This is an important one, so we'd like you all to check it out.

Rotational_aspect
14th February 2013, 09:45 AM
Long time, no posting (well I have moved countries with my family and setting up a small hotel, so I do have an excuse!)

An interesting blog, and it does raise some core issues about your project.

Firstly, would you need to shell out more than $1500 for Unity Pro, as I think that is for a single license only? One can be installed on two computers but only used by one person (if I remember from the license). I suppose if only one person is doing the programming this is irrelevant, but if not this might be a problem.

A donations box would be the easiest (but slowest) solution, but I think you need to now budget for everything so the donations figure is for one sum of money rather than having another donation set up later. You will have to appoint someone to manage the money as well. You could try Kickstarter, but you would have to promote the hell out of SSGX, and offer something in return too. Of course, if this was going to be sold, the sales might offset the cost of Unity (simple stuff, sell SSGX x 1500 times at $1, or 150 x $10). If you were to sell it, you would have to offer support for it too).

Secondly, I think you will walk a fine line with Sony, as I imagine modes like Zone are too close to WO and may have to be removed. But since you are being honest with them (Sony), you may be OK (considering the amount of iOS clones and other fan games that exist already).

docfo4r
14th February 2013, 12:50 PM
Hey Rotational_aspect,

nice to read from you again.
First of all, hope all goes well with you and your family in the new country.

The thing about the Unity licence is that in their EULA, if a company works with Unity Pro, all members need to have Pro, they are not allowed to work on mixed versions and release the game on Pro later on. We are not a registered company so we are in a grey zone at the moment but we will contact Unity about it [actually we have one guy from the Unity staff to talk to, he is familiar with our project]. Still, the worst case scenario to buy Unity Pro would be 9 * 1500$, which makes 13500$ in total only for each core team member to hold a licence, even only 5 people out of the team really use Unity. So if that is the case, then it's very unlikely we will release SSGX with the Pro version but we will make sure o squeeze out the best image, video and sound effects that we can achieve with the free version. Like I said to the team already, the taste of the cake will remain the same, only some details for the eye are missing then. But let's see what Unity thinks about this.

You are right about the similarities to WipEout. Especially the classic Zone mode as we know it might has to be highy improved to be different or removed completely. I know alot of you guys are looking forward to have the Zone mode into SlipStream GX. We already agreed to include a Zone mode into SlipStream GX IF we are walking on a clear path with Sony. We are planning the situation out to make the right approach to Sony at the moment, but once again I want to remind you all about the worst case scenario. And that is us having to remove every links to WipEout. So we have to think about other techniques than Barrel Rolling and other racemodes than Zone or highly improved ones [the "Platformer" mode could still make the cut here]. The Zone mode is not out of the discussion table but I hope you guys understand that if we have no choice, we rather release SSGX without the Zone mode than not at all.

trackripper
16th February 2013, 08:10 PM
Late to the party, but I've just downloaded the christmas edition, and can I just say, for a fan-based project like this with no professional devs involved, it's completely blown me away. Top notch job guys, keep it up, I look forward to newer versions. :)

docfo4r
16th February 2013, 10:39 PM
Thanks for the kind words and we are glad you enjoy the demo! For further test releases, it's best to stick around ;)

Shiftdelete
18th February 2013, 12:11 AM
Hi there. I'm a musician who'd like to contribute to the project. I just finished a track having Slipstream GX in mind: https://soundcloud.com/shiftdelete/three-laps-to-go

If you like it I would gladly make more music for the game. Any feedback is appreciated.

Xpand
18th February 2013, 12:26 AM
Oh hey! I know you from Soundcloud! :D RBnG here! *brofist*

About the music: Sounds great and since we haven't really made the final soundtrack I think there's a chance that it might end up there, BUT I'm not the only one to decide that so we'll see. We have a lot of submissions from other artists for the soundtrack too. I think we have already a good 50-60 minutes of just racing music.

Shiftdelete
18th February 2013, 12:33 AM
Nice! So what's missing in terms of music? Menu music? Options music? Credits music?

Xpand
18th February 2013, 12:54 AM
Well, menu music I think we already have it. We do have a "museum" option where you can see all the ships, weapons, tracks, backstory, etc. It's on a glass buildings with lots of light, so an ambient and futuristic tune would be cool for that, if you want to give it a try...

Shiftdelete
18th February 2013, 01:16 AM
Will do. I'll try to make something this week.

Shiftdelete
21st February 2013, 09:03 PM
Alright. Here it is: https://soundcloud.com/shiftdelete/gyroscope

I did several different sketches until I finally came up with this. Kind of proud of it.

SZEIKAN
26th February 2013, 09:58 PM
Gyroscope sounds like a great kind of ambient tune for a 'museum' or 'stat' section. Even if your song isn't used, it's great to see so many different people trying to help contribute to this amazing project.

Xpand
26th February 2013, 10:22 PM
THAT IS AWESOME!
It's everything I imagined for a "Museum" tune.
I'll be very disappointed if that doesn't end up being used!

I especially love the oldschool sound. The TR-808 and the ambient synths. Reminds me a lot of Ace Combat 3 Electrosphere.

Sorry I didn't reply earlier, this thread was overshadowed by the others so I didn't notice you posted here and the same thing happened in SC...

Shiftdelete
27th February 2013, 12:28 AM
Thanks guys.

docfo4r
27th February 2013, 04:58 AM
I am at work now, can't check out the tune. I make sure I'll check it out once I got home.

feisar rocket
9th March 2013, 12:02 PM
Missed a lot... Well... I've done alot. I hope you guys are doing well... Anyways, I'll go take pictures of what I drew...

And put some descriptions

"It's stunning eh?
Nothing can make here any better, Except the twisting, yet short 4.3k track. Don't worry, just enjoy the show. Ships can't fly out, they are in a transparent tunnel. Until the get outside.

Hungry? Why don't you visit our food court?

Welcome to _____"
It's random, but for any track that goes through a mall and is short...

Oh well, postin later.

zero3growlithe
9th March 2013, 04:35 PM
Hmm, cool! But how long can one take pictures of what drew? xd Also, nice description :g

Amaroq Dricaldari
9th March 2013, 08:28 PM
Hey guys. What did I miss while I was gone?

feisar rocket
10th March 2013, 03:16 AM
Zero: XD yea idk eh? But I drew that ship I talked about and a track that goes through a city, but in the skies... Well part of a track xP

Oh, do tell me where all the tracks are? And their names? Thanks

This was a rushed one I did in church...

It's silent but the lights are still on?
Deep in this wasteland; an old, abandoned, and damaged city remains after the Great War. So why so much tourist? Who would want to just stand and look at destroyed buildings? Is it the history?

Or is it for the steep, fast, exhilarating, and dangerous 5.1k track? From the ruins to the bombarded hillside, this track will always leave pilots in shock & awe. Pilots beware, for the buildings aren't exactly stable.

Welcome to...

docfo4r
15th March 2013, 07:56 PM
Hey guys,
while our coder zero3growlithe is creating some weapons and Xpand creates more ships, we figured it's time to come up with sound effects. So if some people of you have experience in creating nice SFX, let us know and go for it! There are some particular sounds we might need which are:

- HUD initialisation sounds
- Sounds for collissions with other ships, walls etc.
- Sounds for weapons [maybe check the website (http://www.slipstreamgx.com) for pickup descriptions]
- Engine sounds [maybe consider deeper sounds for heavier ships etc.]
- Menu sounds [selection, navigation]
- Glitch sounds for example when getting hit by the EMP

No fear to share your creations :)

Xpand
22nd March 2013, 11:01 PM
"Zone" ship equivalent is done! :D
http://sphotos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/486035_546275582072720_181786184_n.jpg
http://sphotos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/208707_546275575406054_1728725291_n.jpg
http://sphotos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/479789_546275592072719_353161378_n.jpg

Ace3000
23rd March 2013, 07:09 AM
That looks boss, the wingless design is fantastic and that MASSIVE exhaust port makes it look like it means business. Great job! :D

TheConzio
25th March 2013, 10:59 AM
Amazing zone ship. Well done!

JFthebestJan
25th March 2013, 03:07 PM
nicely done, sirs! can't wait to see that thing in action :)

Xpand
25th March 2013, 04:13 PM
Thanks guys!

We have finished one of the tracks too, Cassandra. We're only putting everything together in Unity and when zero3growlithe has time he'll make a video showing it off! :D

AquaAura
25th March 2013, 08:49 PM
The Zone ship looks great!

docfo4r
1st April 2013, 03:25 PM
For everybody who likes to test out the new version of Cassandra as well as some changes in gameplay physics and experience, we have a link for you right here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?pmm3ogzrranmba1

Darkdrium777
1st April 2013, 07:32 PM
Yeah, let me say I expected that.

Ace3000
2nd April 2013, 05:30 AM
Oh dear, it might be because I set it to "Fantastic", but after the first lap, the (what I assume to be) dynamic background activity thingy made the entire track and background black, except for the boost pads. After that the dynamic whatever made everything except the ship itself into a bunch of garbled text code stuff. I was afraid it would crash my computer, so I closed it down. If it happens again, I will be prepared and post some screenshots.

EDIT: As promised, here are the screenshots:

EDIT2: I shall also post this in the Bug Report thread.

zero3growlithe
2nd April 2013, 07:16 AM
If someone didn't get the joke: New version of SSGX above is indeed an April Fool's Day prank ;)
Have a nice day :P

docfo4r
2nd April 2013, 01:14 PM
Yep Ace, if you keep it running a little longer you will see the solution screen. It is intented to be an april fool. But on the other hand, we are also experimenting with dynamic changes of the scene, setup, fog and particles [maybe some of you smell tests for a Zone mode here? ;) ].
Anyways, don't be afraid, this is no bug and no virus will be installed. We might release a REAL test version soon, depending on what things of coding have to be taken care of.

Ace3000
2nd April 2013, 01:53 PM
Hahahaha! Good one, guys, you really fooled me! I am usually more alert to April Fools jokes, but I guess I let my guard down because I didn't pay proper attention to the release date, oops.

docfo4r
2nd April 2013, 01:56 PM
Hehe. I'm glad you took the joke with humor :) Yeah we're like "Let's do something for April 1st, why not?". By the way: All the mess going on there was programmed by zero3growlithe on April 1st!! Kudos to that crazy coder :D

docfo4r
25th April 2013, 12:25 PM
Hey people, we'd like to have your opinion regarding Barrel Rolls. For now it was planned to include them just like we know them from Wipeout. But today we received a message of someone asking us if we include multi-rolling. For example: You do more than one Barrel Roll while having airtime, which will result in a higher boost but will drain your energy much more. We'd like to have your opinion: How much energy to drain for rolling around. We assumed the following combinations:

Counting up the number of rolls performed once:
-15 / -25 / -35 [would make a total loss of 75% of the shield]
-15 / -10 / -10 [total loss of 35%]

We couldn't really decide since we thought the first option takes too much energy when keeping in mind that you might perform this trick in several laps and he second option is not stealing enough energy for such a risky move.

Second thing is: How to handle the boost? If we simply multiply it three times, you will totally end up in the wall on Gamma ["phantom"] speed and it would look ridiculous in game.

Also keep in mind that we can only discuss possibilites here. The Barrel Roll is a special gameplay feature SONY holds their copyrights to. Right now we are clarifying wether we can use the Barrel Roll technique in SSGX or not. For now we can't promise to include them, just fyi.

GalacticSpartan
25th April 2013, 02:45 PM
Hey people, we'd like to have your opinion regarding Barrel Rolls. For now it was planned to include them just like we know them from Wipeout. But today we received a message of someone asking us if we include multi-rolling. For example: You do more than one Barrel Roll while having airtime, which will result in a higher boost but will drain your energy much more. We'd like to have your opinion: How much energy to drain for rolling around. We assumed the following combinations:

Counting up the number of rolls performed once:
-15 / -25 / -35 [would make a total loss of 75% of the shield]
-15 / -10 / -10 [total loss of 35%]

We couldn't really decide since we thought the first option takes too much energy when keeping in mind that you might perform this trick in several laps and he second option is not stealing enough energy for such a risky move.

Second thing is: How to handle the boost? If we simply multiply it three times, you will totally end up in the wall on Gamma ["phantom"] speed and it would look ridiculous in game.

Also keep in mind that we can only discuss possibilites here. The Barrel Roll is a special gameplay feature SONY holds their copyrights to. Right now we are clarifying wether we can use the Barrel Roll technique in SSGX or not. For now we can't promise to include them, just fyi.

Hmm..not bad for an idea. First one I think is a bit too much. Second one is a weee bit less. For a suggestion, if you can, do maybe something like this?

10-15-15?
or 10-15-20?

Those are my suggestions though.

AquaAura
25th April 2013, 02:58 PM
I think 15-20-20 in my opinion, or 10-15-10 if that's a bit much. And the boost, multiplying it by 3 times wouldn't work at all, as you said you'd just go straight into the wall.:brickwall

Maybe 3 times longer? The ship might be a bit hard to control then...

Maybe have each different barrel roll have a different effect, so the first could just be the standard boost, the second have a longer boost and the third to add on more speed. I don't know, these are all just some ideas off the top of my head.

Also, what do you think the consequences are if you don't pull one off? Obviously you wouldn't get a speed boost if you can't pull off one, but say, what happens when you successfully do 2 but don't pull off a third successfully? Would you lose all the boost, or get the boost for 2 barrel rolls? Entirely up to you, but for some reason I think there may be a whole lot of enraged gamers if you lose all the boost especially with all that energy lost...

Amaroq Dricaldari
25th April 2013, 11:27 PM
I understand copyrighting a franchise... but a gameplay feature? Now that is just stupid, Sony.

As for the boost, maybe it could be like this:

First roll would be 15 energy lost and a small boost. Each subsequent roll (up to three extra rolls) would cause you to lose ten units, and would increase your boost by 30-40%.

AquaAura
26th April 2013, 08:33 AM
I think it's ridiculous for just a gameplay feature. Barrel rolls? I think plenty of games have barrel rolls in.

docfo4r
26th April 2013, 09:28 AM
IObviously you wouldn't get a speed boost if you can't pull off one, but say, what happens when you successfully do 2 but don't pull off a third successfully? Would you lose all the boost, or get the boost for 2 barrel rolls? Entirely up to you, but for some reason I think there may be a whole lot of enraged gamers if you lose all the boost especially with all that energy lost...
Well we still might go with the all-or-nothing scheme here. Firstly, it adds up to the risk. Imagine the players while airtime: If there is no risk, they just go crazy on the controls trying to pull off as many BR's as possible. But if the player has to estimate wether a third roll can be done or not, there's another "kick" to it. Also it makes you look more advanced if you can pull off 3br's. Also keep in mind that you can always practice tracks in Speedlap, and try where a 2br or even 3br works and where not.

I understand copyrighting a franchise... but a gameplay feature? Now that is just stupid, Sony.
Well it was Ami who told us to better clarify everything that comes from WO and will be used in SSGX. I know it sucks if we have to modify br's, but on the other hand: We all are a bunch of workes, pupils and students. If Sony sues us afterwards, we might get into bigger troubles here. Not mentioning that we have to delete SSGX from the public eye. This is why we need to but also want to make sure we are on a legal path including Barrel Rolls. And fact is: The Wipeout Barrel Roll is unique. Sure, you also can Barrel Roll in Fatal Interia for example, but it serves another purpose and you can do it all the time, not only in airtime so unlike in SSGX, it's a different kind of gameplay feature there.

Compare it to Split/Second: The heavily changes of the route are unique in that game and I bet if someone want to create a homage to this game, he will also run into complications if we just copypasted that feature.
Same with the Zone mode in WO...

AquaAura
26th April 2013, 04:57 PM
I suppose...

With the triple barrel roll thing, I think that maybe all or nothing might work if you put it that way. People like looking advanced :P