PDA

View Full Version : WipEout HD Retro

DarkRacer95
8th May 2010, 01:06 PM
This is my new idea for a WipEout HD add-on. Originally, it was posted in the wrong spot and it wasn't as good (Sorry Moderators). Here it as as a link.

OveReAction
8th May 2010, 03:33 PM
Good idea. I like it.

Amorbis
8th May 2010, 04:04 PM
I think we'd all like to have some older tracks in HD, it would be fun to easily play the tracks online with some older style ships. Your plan is quite detailed and it would probably make for a good pack, but it likely only add new ship models rather than teams, but new teams would be nice.

Sadly with the current state of affairs we don't know what is happening with WipEout, but we can always he hopeful.

And the SEGA fan that still exists in me says WipEout had every right to be on non-Sony consoles, otherwise I'd likely not have discovered it. :)

Dan Locke
8th May 2010, 05:49 PM
WipEout should not have been on Nintendo in the first place because it is a PlayStation exclusive game.
Circular logic much? And why have Korodera and Sokana?

DarkRacer95
8th May 2010, 11:24 PM
I didn't think of that. I really need to edit this idea i guess.

I guess i was tring to put something from the first 4 wipeout games into this idea. Plus i just found out about how the tracks for 64 were a bunch of remakes. I guess i need to edit this an awful lot.

Xavier
11th May 2010, 05:10 PM
I'm a little confused about Sector Mode. It seems a little too much like Zone. I kind of like naming them after the Greek letters instead of speed classes, though.

You have good taste in courses; I miss Mandrashee and Tetmesh Bay too! How about Florion Heights and Alca Vexus (or Valparaiso)?

I also want some more aesthetic ship customization. Let us put numbers, names, etc. on our ships! Would look great in online play, especially when taking photos.

DarkRacer95
12th May 2010, 01:22 AM
I did say that i need to do more work on this. Since everyone has their own taste in tracks, i revised that part. I'm also thinking about taking that Quantax Design Event out because it seems like it is too much. I also revised the music part. With the Music and Tracks, SL should update Wipeout-game.com and post a collection of tracks and music once a month or so. Some trophies might be revised also.

Cyberio
12th May 2010, 02:44 PM
DarkRacer95 you rock!

This is the expansion i've been waiting for.

DarkRacer95
14th May 2010, 01:09 AM
Remeber Cyberio, this is just an idea. I thought about finding a way to send it to SL. But, since SL is having problems, we can only hope for the better. But thanks for the compliment.

MiguelX69
14th May 2010, 09:55 PM
Awsome idea! Loved it!

The Livery Liberation 2 made me laugh a bit. Ahah

DarkRacer95
14th May 2010, 10:20 PM
Oh boy. I just reread the document and there is alot of trophies that must be changed.

Chill
17th May 2010, 07:26 PM
I love a lot of ideas with this, though I'm hoping we can add to this of course... ;) I absolutely LOVE the retro idea, and wish that everyone would seriously consider not making only one retro pack... perhaps 2 or 3, though adding tracks from pure and pulse takes away from the 'retro' meaning... don't get me wrong, there are quite a few pure and pulse tracks I still have yet to see in HD, but there are also tons of PS1 tracks I'd love to see as well... Fusion too, so I would do retro packs with only retro tracks... Perhaps an option of having Curly doing the countdown instead would be nice too... :)

And I know I've already annoyed some with this already, but bring back the force wall in the form of a portal!!!! :P It would put a bunch of whole cool new twists in the game like there were on Wipeout 3...

Koleax
17th May 2010, 08:40 PM
I'm not sure retro remakes are really a good idea. The original games are still plenty enjoyable. Fusion in particular seems to get better with age. The early Wipeout aesthetic is very resolution independent. It scales up nicely. Playing Wip3out SE in an emulator rendered in hi-def is wonderful. Just wonderful. You play it and think it really shouldn't look that good for how old it is. Feels almost wrong.

Whatever your opinion about Fusion, I don't think it can be argued that that game needs a remake. Even without hi-def emulation, which makes it look like it could be a new game, it still looks fantastic in plain old widescreen mode on my 52" XBR5 with the game picture settings on. I was expecting it to look all blocky and distorted. At the very least I was expecting the sunlight to look less impressive. Nope. When you come around that winding downward turn before the jump in Mandrashee with the water on your left and the Sun shines in your face, you feel as if you are entering brilliance itself. If only for a moment!

2097. Now there is something that could possibly be done there that does not involve much. Switch the aspect ratio to widescreen, give it some 5.1 audio, have it render at 1080p, and give the option to go to 60 FPS. Follow the example for the Rez HD remake. The music doesn't need to be remixed into 5.1, but Cold Storage would probably be happy to do it and we'd be happy to hear it, so why not. Otherwise really don't change much. Don't redraw any art or anything. The textures and models are fine. Maybe the landscape backgrounds but even those are fine. How much money would this cost? How much would it make? Seriously.

Bah, I can't even get a North American version of Pulse for the PS2, so I really don't have my hopes up, but a Rez HD style remake for 2097 feels like a no-brainer. Do they not have the source code anymore?

Chill
18th May 2010, 07:19 PM
True that, but there are some tracks I would love to see renewed from Wipeout, Wipeout 3 or Wipeout Fusion to be playable online... Perhaps that alone with make this endeavor a worthy one, as having these games we absolutely love to play together IN 5.1 HI DEF, having the original art would give all Wipeout fans everything they'd ever desire... making Wipeout with all these options I feel make it worth playable for eternity, as long as there are others around the globe that still enjoy playing them... same goes with XL/2097... ;)

MiguelX69
19th May 2010, 02:05 PM
Well, adding to the retro pack I would enjoy the rest of the tracks from pure/pule that aren't alreaddy in HD Fury.

Chill
19th May 2010, 07:36 PM
Perhaps the option to have a pit lane open when the obsorbing of weapon option is deactivated by the player in the menu, and closed off when on could be implemented, as well as a using energy for speed boost option when barrell rolls are deactivated...

DarkRacer95
21st May 2010, 09:08 PM
Chill

I understand why you like Wip3out. I think it was the best PSOne game ever.

Koleax

I understand that you like 2097.

To the both of you

I think that i will change the idea a little for eveyone to enjoy an HD version of there favorite game.

Chill
23rd May 2010, 04:24 AM
PS: If the original Wipeout is to be remade, I'd say it would be a strong advantage to have the crafts in the original Wipeout A-G craft style... as well as weapons, the look of everything (not so shiny, more like the look of regular airplanes out on a regular flightline, or with less fancy track surfaces)... Dirty and dangerous is how I see the original Wipeout... Hell, it may even be interesting to add in some hazards that weren't originally in the game... like A-G craft parts breaking off when hitting someone and it flying back to cause a smaller amount of damage to yourself for instance...

DarkRacer95
1st June 2010, 11:52 PM
I changed my idea to fit everyone's style. Any weapon other than the ones in the document will not be added.

Dan Locke
2nd June 2010, 02:59 AM
Reflector (Wip3out) - Only reflects projectiles.
Really? That was easily the worst item in the game, and probably even the whole series (barring some of the loonier stuff from Wipeout Fusion).

Mu5
2nd June 2010, 08:39 AM
Do they not have the source code anymore?

I think the original source code is lost - I think I read on here years ago that the original assets are long gone. Shame.

F.E.I.S.A.R
2nd June 2010, 08:24 PM
Sorry if this has been mentioned before(I am currently on holiday in Europe,more specifically England,Scotland and France,wrote this post in Scotland),but.....
The idea is quite good, the tracks being brought back into "present day". However, won't the feel be quite different? Compare Pulse/HD(with or without Fury) and WipEout/WipEout 2097/XL. Aren't the game physics different? In WipEout 1 and 2097/XL, you cannot jump off the track(in this case,go so slow that you do not make the jump).

DarkRacer95
3rd June 2010, 12:44 PM
F.E.I.S.A.R., you would be right about the different feel of the game. For the track sources, they could always just play the different games and try to recreate the tracks. Wouldn't that work?

F.E.I.S.A.R
5th June 2010, 06:02 PM
DR95,that may work. However,you also have to take into account the technologies in "present day"(in this case it is PulsE/HD(Fury)). I suppose jumps in the forward version will be replaced by MagLock Strips or the jumps lowered in the reverse version like in HD?

DarkRacer95
7th June 2010, 01:35 AM
I was thinking that all the tracks will have Mag-Strips when needed and the Fusion tracks won't have open sections anymore. For instance, the long drop in Altima VII would be replaced with a Mag-Strip and the cork-screw in Mandrashee would be replaced with a Mag-Strip. How's that idea?

F.E.I.S.A.R
7th June 2010, 09:40 PM
Corkscrews ARE to be MagStripped. If not done so,the ships will just fall off. I have not played Fusion,but from what others here say...it kinda su*ked,so no freeform is better,if not best.I suppose that some shortcuts in tracks in Fusion will be removed entirely? Shortcuts,except those that required a "jump" and turbo (like in Chenghou Reverse),I feel,should be removed.To me, I think it ruins gameplay.

DarkRacer95
10th June 2010, 05:20 PM
I don't know if the shortcuts should be included or not. If they were to take all the open sections and shortcuts out, that would give Fusion's tracks a whole different feel and some might have to learn the tracks all over again. Anyway, it was just an idea. If this expansion idea was true, then it would be the biggest dlc ever and would probably take a while to produce.

Chill
25th June 2010, 05:27 PM
Perhaps crafts could come out with this extra dlc content maybe? Like Original Wipeout crafts for Wipeout 1... That would be cool... ;)

GalacticSpartan
26th June 2010, 01:54 AM
I seen the stuff you did. Nice work on them. It`d be a pack I`ll be dying for, but I bet you right now, they`re gonna make a pack exacily like that.

AppleJack
9th July 2010, 01:13 AM
I like this idea. If they ever did this I'd get it immediately.

On a side note, one thing I would like to see added to HD (and I doubt they'd ever do it) is: Put the custom campaign grids from Pulse into HD, and make it so we can share user-created grids online. I'd love to be able to make my own campaign grids with whatever events/tracks I wanted in HD (I'd do an all-Zone campaign :) ). I don't play Pulse that much, but that's one feature of Pulse I really liked.

Chill
9th July 2010, 01:20 AM
Perhaps a sharing of this custom grid with others online so that you can play the grid with others to compete for gold in each grid... whoever gets most golds wins... Thus giving varying speeds and such in each event so that you may like to play certain tracks at specific speeds... And the ability to simply skip to another grid without leaving to a specific grid screen... Like the grid simply pops up as soon as everyone finishes so that you can pick a next grid right then and there without having to wait for so many loading screens...

DarkRacer95
5th December 2010, 10:05 PM
I just improved the idea. I realized that since WipEout HD was a cross between Pure and Pulse, why not finish the game?