PDA

View Full Version : Snow

xEik
9th January 2003, 05:47 PM
A few days ago we were talking about the cold European winter.
Today I've seen the snow falling for the first time in my life (big deal :roll: will think those from Norway, Sweden etc. but hey! it's not that snowy in the Spanish mediterranean coast :D )

Well, I had seen snow before but I had never been there while it was falling. Great experience but I hope it doesn't last long ;) Once in a while is OK though.
The weirdest thing is that Brest is close to the sea and not being located very much to the north it's quite strange to see it snow here (no big mountains either).
Now, Lance, I suppose you wouldn't feel like living here :lol: you lucky Florida boy.

In another level of things, today I did what will probably be my last exam in my Telcommunication engineering degree. Woohoo! I hope I'll pass it :wink: However I still have to attend classes until March and then an end of studies project until September awaits me.

It won't be long until I become a true engineer. Yay!

PRACTICE LEADS TO PERFECTION !

DJ Techno
9th January 2003, 06:01 PM
NO SNOW! :-?

NO Snow! :-?

No Snow! Here in Columbia, South Carolina. But a whole lot of Ice in citys above my beloved capital (Hometown).
Spartanburg, Greenville, Orangeburg, Rock Hill all covered in Ice. With no power and the ice storms covering the citys day by day. But there was still no snow or ice in Columbia.
Hick Cup!
Good Luck in your classes xEik! I don't have to go back to classes for Automotive until...The fifthtent of this month...This time I will stay awake, do all my work, and pass all my classes...And not mess up! :P

jmoid
9th January 2003, 06:34 PM
we got a bit of snow in brighton, which was quite nice... now it's just c-c-c-coooold...

good luck with yr exam! i just got a pile of books delivered for my correspondence course - "microprocessor based computers". i'm going to learn how to build computers, then create a gundam-style battle suit and take over the world, muuuahahahaha http://jeeptalk.org/crack/smilies/contrib/dvv/eplus2.gif

Lance
9th January 2003, 08:03 PM
Jamie: not if Deathscythe can stop your atrocious eevil!!! cmon Duo, and get in your gundam. Heero, get your face outta that computer! there's battle to be done!

btw, cool icon

seik: hope you did well on the exam.

i got lucky today, temperature got up to 71 F/21.6 C this afternoon. but 2 nights ago it was just above freezing. coldest i've ever seen it here was 18 F/-7.77 C and with a strong wind besides. where i used to live in Kentucky, it once got to -19 F/-28.3 C.

Mike: ice! yuck!!!

xEik
9th January 2003, 08:12 PM
Who is seik? ;)

It's weird how you write the tenths in those Celsius temperatures but no tenths are given with the Fahreheit ones. Conversion factor involved I guess? :roll: :wink:

auslander
9th January 2003, 08:23 PM
A few days ago we were talking about the cold European winter.
Today I've seen the snow falling for the first time in my life

We can't get rid of the stuff over here, in fact it's snowing right now :D !
it's weird but i've heard Canada gets a lot of Mexican tourists up here when it snows. :)

Good luck with you exam too!

aus!

Lance
9th January 2003, 08:37 PM
uh-oh, that game i used to play when i was a kid must not have been 'hide and xeek'

the weather reporters give the Fahrenheit degrees only in integers. i try to keep the Celsius translations reasonably close to accurate. damned repeating decimals. if we used a base 12 number system, that problem would be radically reduced. in base 12, one third is .4 and two thirds is .8

rhys
9th January 2003, 08:58 PM
I love snow, its the best type of weather, because you can get snowed in and not have to go to work/school!!

Unfortunatly we have had very little snow :( A bit before christmas, and a tiny bit a couple of nights back, but nothing that has really stuck or gone on for more than a few houres.....

xEik
9th January 2003, 09:43 PM
In fact the right pronunciation for xEik is the same as 'make' or 'take' but the first sound is like in 'change'. So it would sound like 'chake' although I don't think this word exists.
Some people pronounce it similar to check or cheque though.

Come to think of it, I don't think it really matters :-?

Thruster2097
9th January 2003, 10:10 PM
I always thought is was supposed to sound like "zzeek" .... but then I remember that qirex is technically pronunced "qirahann". But who cares?
Us kentish-folk have had a lot of snow, about 6 inches of snowfall in 12 hours, but at least we have a high temperature of +1, which is bearable (just...... bbbbbbbrrrrrrr 8) )
because we got so much snow, we got sent home from work! (but before we left, we made a huge snowman. Quite touching to see grown men behave like schoolkids.. :lol:

The only thing with snow is that, however pretty and unassuming it may be, it inevitably has to melt. Snow melts into water, water freezes into ice, and ice makes people fall over. :D
Its funny when they`re okay....

infoxicated
9th January 2003, 10:51 PM
Weird... I always thought it was zeek.... well, now I know.

The whole base 12 thing sounds like a cool idea, too.

The things you find out in a topic about snow on a forum on a video game fan site. 8)

xEik
9th January 2003, 11:16 PM
I guess that my name starting with x is quite misleading pronunciation-wise.
It's a matter of Catalan writting. For example 'chocolate' is written 'xocolata' in Catalan. In the North and the East this 'x' is pronounced like 'sh' in 'show' but in the East and the South it sounds like 'ch' in 'change'.

Being xeik a word that is only used in the South, then that is the correct way of pronouncing it. BTW it should be written xeic (no k's are used in catalan), the reason for using it with 'k' is that with 'c' it's already taken in many places. Some people write it cheic but 'ch' is a group of letters that never appears in Catalan either and is only present in foreign words.

Anyway, appart from Lance who is interested in almost everything, I don't think all this could be of any interest to the average user. :P

:Thruster2097 I've seen at least three snowmans in the campus and none of us is younger than 19. ;)

Dragon
10th January 2003, 12:52 AM
NNNOOOO SSNNOOWW!!!!

The only reason i hate snow is
1) f**k shoveling drive ways

2) Dangorus Driving

3)never enough to get out of schoo! around here any more :(

Lance
10th January 2003, 03:04 AM
95 percent, maybe more

here in the U.S., ''xeik'' would be pronounced ''zeek''. the american variety of english doesn't generally have european vowel sounds. [and many vowels in secondary positions become nothing more than a very short ''uh''.] typical american english is based on that of settlers who came from rural parts of Kent in SE England and ended up in the ''midwest'' U.S. [hence the short ''a'' sound in 'flat' and many other words instead of the more european ''ah'' sound]

i always though xeik might be derived from and pronounced like your name, isaac, but without the ''i''. ''ei'' being a dipthong with the ''e'' pronounced like an american long ''a''. with the ''i'' pronounced like a double ''e''. if said carelessly without rounding the ''e'' into the ''i'', it might sound like zake or zek. the ''x'' is originally the greek letter chi pronounced as a ''k'' but aspirated with an open slightly breathy ''h'' blended into the end of it. in mexico, it can become an ''sh'' [xocolat = shocolat as you mention in parts of spain] or sometimes just an ''h''

jeez, i'm gettin carried away with exposition again. :roll:

Rob, i'm thinking there's a tendency for WipEout games to attract people with lively minds, such as collegians, and intellectuals, and technoids, and such. you just never know what we're going to end up talking about. :D

Wamdue
10th January 2003, 07:39 AM
snow.. like it and dislike it. We got lots of it, every road and sidewalk is covered by it now.
and -15 celcius..The wires to my mdplayer freeze when Im out..

zargz
10th January 2003, 09:02 AM
I thought it was 'kseik' 8)

xEik
10th January 2003, 10:37 AM
If you know the pronunciation of Beikoku (America in Japnese) I think it sounds quite like that but the first sound like in Chuugoku (China in Japanese) and ending in the 'k' sound.

AmigoJack
10th January 2003, 02:34 PM
snowed here too - since last week. its not that much, but it covers everything white. in the upper north germany its more snowy.

infoxicated
10th January 2003, 02:44 PM
It hasn't snowed here in Liverpool.

It's sucked a lot of the time, but so far it hasn't snowed.

8)

rhys
10th January 2003, 04:03 PM
@lance: I think wipeout attracts people with lively minds because of its genre, its a futuristic game so shoudl attract future people!

@xeik: I always pronounced your name:z - I (I sound like "I" not "ee") - ek with the I sound before the E, dont know why though lol

DJ Techno
10th January 2003, 05:34 PM
xEik.
Just to let you know. your names cool, but how to pronouce it. It's no big deal.
But I tell you :) Spelling it correctly is what stomps me!
Always getting confused which letter is en large and which one's not.

Lance
I would whether have the ice then have no snow. Because has been straight two months with no sign of snow. And nothing but son and rain. Almost were your at :-?

Infoxicated.
That's sucks that it hasn't never snowed in Liverpool. What if you ask somebody who has been in the town longer than you. And see if it has ever snowed before? Maybe you might get a good answer? Maybe not?

Lance
10th January 2003, 05:52 PM
''It's no big deal''
ask yourself if it's a big deal whether someone pronounces your name correctly. even if your answer is no, that only means that the answer is true for you; it may not be true for someone else. if xeik didn't care, he probably wouldn't have mentioned it at such length, although the possibility exists that he is interested in the academics of language and that was his sole motivation. i just happen to doubt that was the only reason ;)

xEik
10th January 2003, 06:11 PM
It's xEik because of wipEout. The font used for the first and the second game had an E that was much taller than the other letters. I suppose now this will be easier to remember.

:Lance, quite an important part of Catalan language exam in my University entrance exams was about Catalan pronounciation and dialectology. It's quite fun indeed and it has always interested me. ;)

One day Catalan will be the common language of the world! Muahaha! :roll: :P :wink:

Lance
10th January 2003, 08:51 PM
Catalan the common language of Planet Terra?! oh my, you hAve been playing fantasy videogames a while ;) :D

zaarock
11th January 2003, 12:19 PM
nice name explanation xeik

damn i havent been here for ages again! :x

stin
11th January 2003, 02:39 PM
I hate snow cos its effecting my golf :( but its soo cold the now and likely going to snow soon :x

interesting name you have got xEIK!! actually I have thought it was "eek"! anyway you got it sorted :wink:

stin :D

Vasudeva
11th January 2003, 03:11 PM
@ xEik and others

Well, since I study languages this topic really interests me... It's very odd, in my eyes, to pronounce "x" as something other than [x]. Like in English they make a [z] of it when <x> is at the beginning of a word... weird. You know xEik, I used to think that your name actually was <xelk>, yes, with an <l>. Perhaps I need glasses ;).

@ everyone

Hey people, winter rocks! It's my favourite season. We had some snow and ice here but too much. Anyway, I love the feeling of coming together in a small, warm room when it's blistering cold outside... 8)

Peace,
V.

Lance
11th January 2003, 04:33 PM
Jeroen, maybe you were using the wrong font back then. like Arial... mm.. or something. the lower case 'l' looks just like an uppercase 'i' in that font, i think. [and rn looks just like m :roll: ]. i stopped using it a long time ago, so i don't remember for sure if it was Arial or Tahoma, or what.
now i tend to use Perpetua, Lucida Sans Console, and if i'm reading classic texts, Baskerville. i had to import that one

Vasudeva
11th January 2003, 05:37 PM
I personally like Trebuchet MS or simply Times New Roman. Former font has been used for "my" site, www.societasviaromana.org (shameless plug, I know :D).

Peace,
V.

Lance
11th January 2003, 08:48 PM
i like Trebuchet, too. pretty much my second choice after Perpetua for general reading. i got bored with times new roman after reading the new york times back in the sixties; one issue of that dense text with nearly no pics was enough to kill it for me. not to mention the succeeding times i read it.

Synthetic Consciousness
11th January 2003, 08:49 PM
[xEik]:

Would you get mad at me if I called you "Shake"? :) ...You do know why the 'e' was capitalized, right? :lol:

[Lance]:

In FFX, the natives of Spira use only a few alphabets (and thus, apparently, the same language; save for Al Bhed); all of which are used worldwide. So, it could happen. :P

...And Blitz Ball and AG-Racing will be competing each other for most-popular sport! :P ...Mind those Blitzball hooligans. They can get nasty! :lol:

xEik
11th January 2003, 10:15 PM
It depends on if you think of 'shake hands' or of 'shake your booty'. ;)

Anyways, everyone knows its 'shaked not stirred' :P

DJ Techno
24th January 2003, 04:11 PM
Finally it's snowed!

But it's only going to last for atleast one more day. The Carolina weather here is completely messed up.