PDA

View Full Version : Thank you, Studio Liverpool!

ProblemSolver
29th January 2010, 08:58 PM
The terrible news really broke my heart into pieces. Let me tell you that
WipEout HD offered me the greatest experience in gaming I ever had
in my whole life! You can't imagine how I'm in love with this game. It's
an out-standing product of the highest value! You all deserve my deepest
respect!

.:: Thank you! ::.

I wish you all the best!

http://www.consolewars.de/messageboard/images/smilies/m-cry.gif

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/9392/wohd20100130173629500th.jpg (http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/615/wohd20100130173629.png)

quality, passion, commitment ~ Studio Liverpool

kanar
29th January 2010, 09:03 PM
The terrible news really broke my heart into pieces. Let me tell you that
WipEout HD offered me the greatest experience in gaming I ever had
in my whole life! You can't imagine how I'm love with this game. It's
an out-standing product of the highest value! You all deserve my deepest
respect!

.:: Thank you! ::.

I wish you all the best!

http://www.consolewars.de/messageboard/images/smilies/m-cry.gif

Let me entirely quote your post mate, co's I feel totally devastated myself. I second you on everything you said. I tried to play some speed laps, but I couldn't... All I have in mind is darkness. This is really a sad, sad, sad, sad day.

ACE-FLO
29th January 2010, 09:04 PM
+1...

Big Up to Studio Liverpool employees past, present... hopefully future too. But more importantly, I wish all ex employees of SL, the best wishes for the future. Keep us posted of what you guys are up to, what you are developing, working on - we are your fans and I for sure will continue to support you guys by purchasing games you have worked on!

Good luck, I'm certain you guys will move onto bigger and better things :rock

AG-wolf
29th January 2010, 10:34 PM
Echoing the sentiment, Thank you SL/Psygnosis for the games you've produced over the last couple decades, I hope all the team members who've been sh*t-canned can rebound quickly :/

I'm not devastated at this news, it's no surprise after everything else Sony has done over the past few years. My first foray into Wipeout was on the Saturn anyway, so there was never any kind of sentimental Sony love connection for me.

ProblemSolver
29th January 2010, 10:43 PM
I've just skimmed through the comments of the thread @SL: Thank you for Fury! (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6517).
Did you remember the day Fury came out? Half a year later ... everything has
changed.

XpanDrome2097
29th January 2010, 11:11 PM
Thanks to you guys....copy and paste from the other dedicated thread:

INFINITE THANKS!
THANKS TO YOU GUYS!
For all these years I have been a fan of WipEout since the first time I've played WipEout 2097...I really love this game and it will be a part of my soul for eternity.
You've created more than a simple game, a real experience and all of you, guys, have introduced a new game conception: a real virtual reality!
And you, Psygnosis/Studio Liverpool, are the one and only that have created this experience!
Don't bring down your heads, but stand up your pride!

Still Spread Your Wings, Psygnosis!

GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL!

Mateo
29th January 2010, 11:59 PM
Thank you!

WOHD was the greatest game that I may play since my childhood-super-nintendo-days... :(

IH8YOU
30th January 2010, 12:00 AM
Studio Liverpool - you need to know that the ONLY reason I have a PS3 (actually 2 of them) - was for Wipeout. You're also directly responsible for my purchase of a PSP.

Sony - you done (@#*ed up bigtime.

I wish the affected people @ SL luck in future endeavors, and I thank you for giving me the game that got me through an exceptionally tough time in my life - and allowed me to meet a few genuine friends across the way.

I will dream of a brighter future, with Psygnosis and Designers Republic working alongside Red Bull for 2097 HD...

Aeroracer
30th January 2010, 12:25 AM
thankyou SL for making a game that makes people like me who dont really bother playing games start playing games..well wipeout anyway..

abukii
30th January 2010, 01:14 AM
I am at a loss for words.

I am just beginning in the development industry. Over the years I have seen companies come and go and I can only imagine your frustrations. None-the-less, we pick up and carry on. I do not blame anyone of you for leaving Sony. They took something from you that can (and will) never be replaced. I take this as a learning experience of what to expect. In my honest opinion, this seems like corporate back-stabbing. If this is the case, I will form my own group and develop on my own. Sony, for the first time, has disappointed me. I converse with a few of you from SL and I wouldnt have it any other way. When the rug gets pulled out from beneath your feet, Merry Xmas sounds like an insult. I am affected by this too. Whats to happen with TT? So youre not alone...not alone per-se. I have followed WipEout since day one. My passion for the things SL create is undying. It will always remain that way. 10 years from now, youll see the same people, the same demeanor and the same love: All in a common place. That, my friends, you should be proud of. For no other company has ever achieved such a feat. Studio MOTHER ****ING Liverpool, Rock On!!!!! We, as a collective of AG Pilots, LOVE you. If and when you start a new assignment, remember that. You will always have a following as individuals.
++abukii OUT++

superpj1
30th January 2010, 02:06 AM
I learnt the sad news by IH8YOU's comment on the XMB :frown:
Thank you SL for all you have done. Although I've stopped playing Wipeout HD, I've put a mass amount of time on it since it was released. You made a fantastic game. I hope everyone will soon get a new job :frown:

Thanks again for making such a great game.

trk_rkd
30th January 2010, 03:21 AM
This is absolutely bullshit news. Other than fusion the wipeout games represent my favourite titles on each system they were on... wipeout 3 se, pulse and HD. I can't believe sony would do this. I hope they take care of SL with decent redundancy at least. I post on neogaf a bit and it's almost a cliche there to cite HD as the best piece of downloadable content this gen, that's how ****ing good the game is. It just seems insane that they'd do this and let the incompetents in charge of Home keep their jobs. Really, truly infuriating. Even sadder when you consider that this represents the conclusion of the long-time greatness that was psygnosis.

I'm gonna play nothing but HD this week just to give the game some traffic.

Well done SL, gaming wouldn't be the same without you guys.

DeepMix
30th January 2010, 05:41 AM
thank you a lot i wish you guys all the best, wipeout hd has given me the best fun i ever had and i consider it one of the best games i ever played in my whole life, im in love with this game i feel really sad for this announcement :( just hope the online server keep running...

RedScar
30th January 2010, 06:01 AM
Sony is doing everything in its power to make me wanna trade my PS3 in. No Ace Combat, No Sly Cooper, and now you get rid of the developer of my favourite PS3 game.

My best wishes goes to all of those affected and that your future endeavors all go well. You have touched all of us at the WOZ forum and many more, allowing for good memories to be made. We will never forget this, and I hope that you can be proud for this.

Big Ups Studio Liverpool/Psygnosis, from an ordinary gamer
~RedScar
(off to watch game credits)

Nick Burcombe
30th January 2010, 06:24 AM
Really kind words of support from you all. Yesterday was a very grim day indeed.

Mad-Ice
30th January 2010, 07:31 AM
Good luck to everyone who has lost their job at SL. I have played every Wipeout game and I still do! Wipeout has changed my life in a good way. Having fun with friends from all around the globe.

It is the perfect combination of music, art, gaming, future philosophy and the dance scene.

Thank you so much SL.

Greetz Mad-Ice

amplificated
30th January 2010, 07:37 AM
I've always had fond memories of Wipeout, and while I don't completely have a grasp of the latest news at SL, I'd be sad if the result meant Wipeout became a dead franchise.

To Studio Liverpool :beer

edit: I wanted the beer icon, not the chirpy face that comes with it :(

Constrictor
30th January 2010, 08:14 AM
Is THIS work life balance, or what?

Yesterday I got so many 'good-bye' and 'farewell' messages from my US colleagues who are not going to make the step to the 'Other' company and now this ... Another farewell to the one and only 'loved' game I have. I think I'm at 500 hours atm. All the other games are just for the short experience. Nothing compared to W'O''

Thank you SL for letting me enjoy your creation and speed experience

You will be remembered!

What a sad day that was. :frown:

C4U - Speedjunkie, Petrolhead and WipEout addict.

btw, Anyhow, looking forward to whatever the brand and code owners are going to do with this community and fanbase. Please, don't f* this up!

PEPEDA
30th January 2010, 11:36 AM
as always good things come to an end,WIPEOUT is probably with street fighter II the game i have played most in my life,i`m 33 and i have been into videogames since pong or arkanoid,now Sony decided to cut SL wings....sad day,really sad news,i bought my PS3 with LBP but i have to admit WO is the GAME,in caps.
the only thing i can expect is that you guys,the wipeoutzone crew still support this fantastic dream,this family,and we all toghether continue playing WO/Fury for long time.
Ahora en español que me puedo ensañar un poquito mejor.
El que me conoce sabe que soy un tio visceral,quizas mal hablado,pero que le voy a hacer.
No entiendo como una compañia tan potente y con un capital social tan enorme decide echar a la puta calle,a un grupo de desarrollo de entretenimento digital con la trayectoria de Psygnosis/Studio Liverpool.
Con la de alegrias que este grupo de genios ha dado en todas las consolas de Sony.
¿Cual es el problema Pepe Sony?que este año en vez de ganar 200 millones de euros vais a meteros en la saca solo 150? que os f...en vivos,canallas,desagradecios.
siento rabia ahora mismo,y lo ultimo que voy a decir son dos pu.as maldiciones:
que cada vez que un aficionado a la saga WO,recuerde este momento le de a quien corresponda un dolor de muelas que le dure un mes;
Y al enterao e iluminao sabio que ha decidio que SL debe cesar sus actividades le de el puto dolor de la burra,que reventò hasta la estaca donde estaba amarrada.
He dicho,un saludo a todos.

P.D. thanx to Studio Liverpool crew,you guys make me happy playing your games,we´ll miss you,farewell lads.

PLazarou
30th January 2010, 12:15 PM
This seems extremely unfair.

Thank you SL, and good luck to all those affected.

Chill
30th January 2010, 12:25 PM
I second nearly everyone on this thread has already posted... SL, even if you do lose this job of a Wipeout franchise, you will always remain legends... You ****ing rock for Christ sake!!! If I wasn't homophobic, I'd make love to all you guys for doing all that you've done!! (well, maybe in a post-card... ;) )... Thank you guys for so much, and **** sony for doing this... It would be pleseant of they ended up passing on another great job for you guys for doing what they've done, but I doubt it... I great thanks to all with tears of power...

Avenger2197
30th January 2010, 02:06 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you, SL! Thanks for keeping my gaming life going ever since Wipeout on PS1. You guys are the best in this business and I know you'll get work soon. I wish you all the best of luck. I agree with many people here, who say if you guys an gals make any other games for different companies, I'll be on the lookout as well.

Amorbis
30th January 2010, 02:36 PM
I can't thank Psygnosis/Studio Liverpool enough for the games they produced for over two decades. While I might not be old enough to have been in on the computer gaming scenes of the 80s/90s I played the earlier Psygnosis games on my brother's C64. Games such as Shadow of the Beast were excellent, even though the C64 version suffered from the tape's load times when you forgot to get the torch before going in the castle. But I guess that's my fault. ;)

WipEout for me is most certainly the best of racing games,with the PSX titles still standing up to that statement today. HD was another cracker and well worth the wait. I hope for the sake of the game and the people behind it that WipEout doesn't get sold off like the Crash and Spyro franchises.

LurifaxFlux
30th January 2010, 03:25 PM
Thank you SL/Psygnosis for all the enjoyment you've given me.
You guys are legends!

Koleax
30th January 2010, 03:40 PM
Hear, hear!

It was love at first sight for me way back when I first saw this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cilGf8eFU8A

Everything seemed right, like it came from my dreams.

billychanxtr33m
30th January 2010, 03:44 PM
i was a bit late to the party, but thank you so much for the wipeout series psygnosis/SL!

i am sure talented folk like you will find a new home soon

Frances_Penfold
30th January 2010, 05:04 PM
Just wanted to add my "thank you" to what will no doubt be a very long thread.

I have really enjoyed playing PurE, PulsE and WOHD over the past few years. I have also enjoyed reading the stories and insights posted by SL employees on the WOZ forum-- thanks for taking the time to do this.

Best wishes to everybody affected by the events of the past week.

Amon
30th January 2010, 05:22 PM
Sad news... you guys gave me so much enterteinment through the years... starting from the Psygnosis amiga days.

I own all the wipeouts made for sony platforms, all are beautiful games i've enjoyed so much...

So Thank you for all the fun, hope everyting will be all right for all of you guys.

You deserve the best.

boxman22
30th January 2010, 05:24 PM
I just read about the news and it really pisses me off and saddens me. I find it amazing that Sony do such a thing and especially so soon after HD and Fury was released on blueray. I have been a fan of psygnosis games ever since the amiga days and i doubt the amiga or the ps1 would have been as successful without you guys.

I personally will refuse to buy another game for the PS3 now, as i dont want to support a company that only thinks about maximum short term profits.

I really wish the developers the best luck in future and i hope you guys manage to find a better company.

Wipeout was also one of the main reasons i got a PS3 in first place and i kinda doubt i would have bought it without Wipeout HD.

0L4F
30th January 2010, 05:29 PM
I'm totally shocked by this news... I have a hard time believing what I just read...

Imagine that: creating one of the most amazing games for the PS3 (certainly from a technological point of view) with infinite replay value, available for a very modest price, only to be sacked by Sony!

I can't believe Sony lets all that PS3 developing expertise just fly out of the window.

Studio Liverpool, and Psygnosis: if it wasn't for you guys (and girls) I would never have been the gamer that I am today, and I would never have been the proud owner of a PS1, PS2 and PS3, and a whole stack of games that I got for those systems out of curiousity for other content for the system I bought to play WipEout on.

sny
30th January 2010, 05:41 PM
Totally shocked here as well... I never saw this coming. :frown:

And to be honest, what is SCEE thinking? They just shove aside one of the best development team for their console... the guys behind the game that made so many people (including myself) buy a PS3 instead of another console. Clearly loyalty and respect is not something the leaders behind such a big gaming company would ever understand.

My best wishes to all of the good people at SL who are affected, may you find an employer more worthy of your talents! And don't forget, WipEout HD and all previous WO games will be in the hearts of many people for a long time to come, and nobody can ever take that away from you.

ProblemSolver
30th January 2010, 05:54 PM
I've added a picture, dedicated to Studio Liverpool, in the initial post. This
is not just a picture. The craft you see was operated on it's utmost limit, I've
put all my strength together to run a new out-standing record on Sebenco Climb
in memories of Studio Liverpool. Entering supersonic and running eleven more
zones, while already carrying a massive load on ones shoulders, makes you
become one with the game.

0L4F
30th January 2010, 05:58 PM
Okay, a speck of hope on the Studio Liverpool Wiki page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCE_Studio_Liverpool):

On 29 January 2010 Sony made the following public statement; "It has been decided that production on a number of projects within Studio Liverpool will cease immediately due to project prioritisation. Our North West Studio Group has been and will continue to be a vital cog in the WWS family, with a history of producing genre defining games such as MotorStorm, WipEout, Formula 1 and WRC and this decision will have no impact of the role that the North West Studio Group will play in the future of all PlayStation platforms".

andy
30th January 2010, 06:08 PM
Good luck you guys. You're all amazing

PLazarou
30th January 2010, 06:21 PM
ProblemSolver = awesome.

Lance
30th January 2010, 06:21 PM
Really kind words of support from you all. Yesterday was a very grim day indeed.

Nick, you are the one I thank most of all. If you have any contact still with Jim Bowers, thank him for me, too, and Lee and Nicky and all the others that were there for the first WipEouts.

Sony has done a terrible thing, the most recent and for me the worst in an increasingly long list of wrongs. Good luck to you sir, and to all the people who worked on all the WipEouts in the series, and have been let go or displaced.

ProblemSolver
30th January 2010, 06:33 PM
@PLazarou: It's impossible to do such a run without emotion. I was driven by
by emotion and memories. Only in this case you can go beyond yourself.

swift412
30th January 2010, 09:22 PM
Thank you, good luck, and all the best to the guys and girls of Studio Liverpool.

R.I.P., Studio Liverpool.

SaturnReturn
31st January 2010, 12:45 AM
Thanks SL for:

-730+ hours of quality entertainment from WipEout HD since I installed it back on 27/09/2008.
-Thanks for this game, which showed me what it means to be a real fan of something, by getting me well and truly hooked.
-Thanks for all the effort of the talented folk on the creative and technical teams.
-Thanks for contributing time to the forums as well, and putting up with stroppy fans such as me, who don't always realise or recognise how much work is involved in such achievements.
-Thanks for listening to those same stroppy fans and taking the feedback on board, despite the stroppiness.
-Thanks for WO HD as my introduction to this forum, the friends I've made on it, and a little place on the internet to belong.
-Thanks for a quality back catalogue of WipEout games that I can go back to if I ever get bored of HD (seems unlikely at this stage).
-Thanks for introducing me to a new genre of music through these games.
-Thanks for Chenghou Project - it rocks (see attached image).:rock

Best of luck to all those who have been involved along the way - I hope that such talented individuals will find places where their work is valued as it deserves to be.

asdfffdsa
31st January 2010, 01:04 AM
Okay, a speck of hope on the Studio Liverpool Wiki page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCE_Studio_Liverpool):

On 29 January 2010 Sony made the following public statement; "It has been decided that production on a number of projects within Studio Liverpool will cease immediately due to project prioritisation. Our North West Studio Group has been and will continue to be a vital cog in the WWS family, with a history of producing genre defining games such as MotorStorm, WipEout, Formula 1 and WRC and this decision will have no impact of the role that the North West Studio Group will play in the future of all PlayStation platforms".

I was raging so bad until I read that.

For someone who just got into Wipeout in the spring (and regrets all of the years he was not into it), this would have been immensely depressing for me. I'm sure moreso for the veterans. And even moreso for those who lost their jobs.

But, from the above quote, it seems like Wipeout isn't done for good. Anyone have any further information on that?

Lance
31st January 2010, 01:09 AM
That statement does not even imply, much less state, that any of those games will continue. Read it again carefully; all it says is that the North West Studio Group will still be working on future game releases for Sony's future platforms, not what those games will be. We know that game projects that they wEre working on have been stopped while other things worked on by others have been given priority.

ACE-FLO
31st January 2010, 01:19 AM
Anyone have any further information on that?Don't hold your breAth :D they killed wipEout when they disbanded the heroes who bought us wipEout throughout its' many incarnations, and judjing by Sonys' betrayal of its fanbases' requests, it continues to disappoint and do-over... the latest being the resulting redundancies from SL as we all know. Now, to keep a genre such as wipEout alive, it will require a lot of online MP action, and dedication to the format, across HD Fury on PS3, Pure on PSP through ad-hoc application and ofcourse, Pulse too... these collated stats will show that the game does indeed continue to be played competitively and hopefully hint at to Sony for its re-integration into the Playstation platforms... I don't see how else they would want to make another wipEout - especailly if the sales of HD Fury / Puls / Pure didn't do as well commercially as they'd hoped. Anyway, just my thoughts here :)

blackwiggle
31st January 2010, 01:39 AM
The heart of SL and therefore wipeout has been ripped out as Colin Berry put it.
If we ever do see another wipeout I can't imagine it having much resemblance to what we have had previously,mainly due to the core of the design team no longer being there.

The wipeout games have always been brilliant.
The decisions made on marketing them terrible.

The 3 biggest mistakes by those who should of known better.?

Not having another PS2 wipeout after FUSION, and concentrating solely on the PSP with PURE & PULSE, thereby losing a whole generation of home console players.

Not releasing HD on disc at the beginning and absolutely abysmal promotion of HD.
Not realizing that the games biggest market did not own credit cards so they could not by the download only game [the pre paid cards came out too late]

Thank you Studio Liverpool /Psygnosis for over 15 years of gobsmacking gaming.
For those who lost their jobs I feel for you, and know exactly what it is like.
Here's hoping that you go on to great things in the future,and that you don't have to suffer again because management can't see the bloody obvious.

Frances_Penfold
31st January 2010, 07:28 AM
The 3 biggest mistakes by those who should of known better.?

Not having another PS2 wipeout after FUSION, and concentrating solely on the PSP with PURE & PULSE, thereby losing a whole generation of home console players.

It is hard for me to see development of PurE as a mistake-- its release was perfectly timed with the launch of the PSP platform and it sold better than any previous iteration of WipEout. If anything, I think that the survival of the WipEout franchise through 2009/2010 was helped immensely by SL's decision to switch to a portable platform.

It seems to me that sales of Pulse and WOHD suffered from weaknesses of their respective hardware platform-- consumer disinterest in the PSP and the small installed base of the PS3. Nothing could be done about that, and it's not like there was a better alternative. The PS2 platform was already in decline by 2006.

IMHO, fans of WipEout (myself included) have been slow to recognize the obvious-- futuristic racers don't have much appeal to the current gaming demographic. It's not just WipEout. F-zero GX sold like ****, Red Shift sold like ****, etc. "Hard-core" gamers mostly like FPS games now, and WipEout is far too difficult for the casual market.

So it seems to me that Studio Liverpool faced a tremendous challenge, developing new releases of a dying genre on hardware platforms that had serious problems in the consumer market. The last few WipEout games were freakin' brilliant and deserved far better sales than they received.

All just my opinion, of course :)

LOUDandPROUD
31st January 2010, 03:40 PM
Wow, this is depressing news. Thanks to SL/Psygnosis and I wish you all the best of luck. I may not be playing WOHD as much as I used to, but my love for it is, and always will be, strong.

Selfishly, I find myself imagining a world with no future iterations of WO and the day that the WOHD servers finally go offline. It's...unthinkable...and will effectively disconnect an entire community of gamers/friends from all over the world. That would be a sad, sad day... :(

I'll never forget all the amazing folks I've gotten to know, thanks to WO.

Sony = :turd

Lance
31st January 2010, 03:44 PM
The only good thing I can think of to say about Sony is that they supported development of the game for about 15 years. But that was then; this is now. What the future Sony will be like, I don't know. But we know that SL has suffered in the present, and the present is always what counts the most since we live in this moment and no other.

Kyonshi
31st January 2010, 04:23 PM
@Lance

Indeed, they supported Psygnosis/SL for 15 years. We can all agree that if Sony supported such promising studio for such long, it probably means something. There is talent and bright ideas in such a team. Whatever happened through the years, good or bad, prove that SL had become a pillar in video game history and evolution.

So, when harsh times come, what do you do with such studio that proved they can deliver and push forward the evolution of video games?

YOU CONTINUE TO SUPPORT IT.

SL are no noob game studio, aren't they? How can you trash 15 ****years of improvement?!? How can you simply pull the plug and let it die with a lame excuse of "redundancy report"?!?

You just don't kill it dammit. If the only issue was the ****ing money and funds, Sony is no stranger to know how to make/find financial revenues. The irony of it, is that, yes, they found out; they killed SL so they could have their goddamn money. Sony officials may tell us that we don't fully understand the reasons of such act, yadda yadda yadda... but i dont give a flyin' **** about "how God's ways are inscrutable"; they certainly not used the best course of action to take for funding themselves.

I heard of the discussions at Sony for making PSN payable. Why wouldn't this be a solution instead of dumping SL?!? As i said some days ago, i would have gladly paid a yearly fee to let Sony have additional revenues, and consequently keeping SL alive. Even the big ties in the financial operations departement who don't know crap about video gaming when they actually own a video game company couldn't really object to that solution, no? If they'd really understood how much SL is important to video gaming industry, they'd never cut them down like that. That's for sure.

To Studio Liverpool, you rocked my teenagehood, and because of you guys, i have the most beautiful memories of such era. You guys will surely be saved from such sad situation by some other major studio who will sincerely see your potential, and i'm confident that WipEout will see daylight again in a not so distant future, it can't disappear like that and it'll never do in our hearts.

From me to the legions of anti-gravity pilots around the world;

Thank you thousand times Studio Liverpool, and see you soon ;):+

Connavar
31st January 2010, 04:23 PM
Thanks a lot Sony Liverpool, when I had a PSP with wipeout Pure, I was always
dreaming of a HD version for the upcoming PS3 running at 60fps, because to me,
it would be a near-perfect game, and you managed to create exactly this!
I've already played over 500 hours, and planning to reach at least 1000 :)

I'm not even mad at Sony, I'm just sad that this game sold only a fraction of
what it really deserved :(

RJ O'Connell
31st January 2010, 05:56 PM
F-zero GX sold like ****
F-Zero GX sold over 250K units in both Europe and North America, enough for Player's Choice certification (Nintendo's equivalent to Greatest Hits). I'd hardly say it sold poorly.

Cerbis
31st January 2010, 07:02 PM
Thank you Studio Liverpool. Thank you, every single one of you. I don't know you personally as some people here do, but nonetheless I thank you.

You've created magic in all these years, under all the names you've worked under.

May life present you with greater opportunities still.

Thank you.

Medusa
31st January 2010, 10:01 PM
If ever you guys and gals read this, let me say thank you and give you a big thank you hug. You were involved in making a very special game, the kind that just doesn't exist anymore, and from the looks of it won't exist again.

WipEout, from the very first one, was a special racer. This series can make someone who isn't an avid gamer (myself for one, don't play anything but wipeout anymore) buy multiple consoles and keep them around even when they're just sitting collecting dust.

Thank you for working to create a beautiful dream that anyone can tap into with the push of a button. From Vector speed to Phantom, anyone can put themselves into a state of zen with this game. I don't think any other games out there can come close to this. The serious gamers will have to confirm that for me.

Wherever you all end up with your careers and life, I hope you don't forget WipEout. You've helped create one of the greatest works of art ever. Collectively, you aren't just former Psygnosis/SL employees, you are video gaming's Da Vinci. :+

lunar
31st January 2010, 10:56 PM
Studio Liverpool/Psygnosis are the reasons why I have a sacred pile of aging PS1 anti gravity racing software with about 5 safety copies of each that gets me weird looks from visitors, along with an NTSC and PAL playstation1, two PS2s, a PS3, an N64 and various mad accessories and controllers on top of 2 PSPs I didn`t need, and about 20 NegCons that I still might. You are all responsible for a most unhealthy and fun obsession, and for that.... my thanks :blarg

Really massive thanks to all and good luck to all for the future. I hope everyone who is leaving can find a place their talents are needed and appreciated.

BARTgai
1st February 2010, 04:08 AM
My reaction (http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm260/BARTgai/wipeoutFFFFuuuuu.jpg)

Thank you guys for making an absolutely outstanding game. You all have a special place in my heart. :frown:

il_NIK
1st February 2010, 08:40 AM
If ever you guys and gals read this, let me say thank you and give you a big thank you hug. You were involved in making a very special game, the kind that just doesn't exist anymore, and from the looks of it won't exist again.

WipEout, from the very first one, was a special racer. This series can make someone who isn't an avid gamer (myself for one, don't play anything but wipeout anymore) buy multiple consoles and keep them around even when they're just sitting collecting dust.

Thank you for working to create a beautiful dream that anyone can tap into with the push of a button. From Vector speed to Phantom, anyone can put themselves into a state of zen with this game. I don't think any other games out there can come close to this. The serious gamers will have to confirm that for me.

Wherever you all end up with your careers and life, I hope you don't forget WipEout. You've helped create one of the greatest works of art ever. Collectively, you aren't just former Psygnosis/SL employees, you are video gaming's Da Vinci. :+

TThis is the first time I quote an entire msg, thankyou Medusa to give me the right words I've in my heart, and thank to all the folks in Studio Liverpool for giving me a jump in the fantastic world of Wipeout.

The only one beloved videogame

XpanDrome2097
1st February 2010, 08:46 AM

I agree with Effedieffe, great post: I feel the same sensations every time I take my joypad and start to fly into one of these games...
Sorry for the following quote, but this post is awesome!

morfeo378
1st February 2010, 10:20 AM
thank you, thank you, thank studio liverpool, for making me a gamer fanatic, by spending hours with red eyes in front of a TV , thanks for discovering this franchise, not I imagine turning on the ps3 and can not play online with my friends, I wish you all the best

CR4SH3D
1st February 2010, 11:04 AM
For the long LONG hours spent trying to play 2097, the joy years later after swindling a PS1 for a SNES and actually realising I was pretty good at it

For the beauty, fluidity, and awesome vision of Wip3out

For getting a whole generation of gamers into graphic design and electronica

For pushing each console to its limit, along with our reactions

oh and Zone, Zone Battle, and Detonator. Pure high speed eye burning lushness, those effects still blow everyone i know away! (stand alone game along those lines? *hint*)

(http://img514.imageshack.us/i/slthanks01.jpg/)http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/3169/slthanks01.th.jpg (http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/3169/slthanks01.jpg)

For everything, we appreciate all your efforts greatly, best of luck to those that have left, keep on not compromising your style for the sake of our burning eyes and twitching fingers

Thanks for all the G's guys!

From Vector speed to Phantom, anyone can put themselves into a state of zen with this game. -amen to that!

On a side note, you may all of seen these already, looks like some interesting reading though: http://www.playstationspot.net/?cat=55

F.E.I.S.A.R
1st February 2010, 12:22 PM
I don't know if this sounds like a speech or something,but here goes.......
Studio Liverpool,I have known you as Psygnosis(WipEout,WipEout 2097/XL,3).Over the years,you have grown.So have I.I am now officially 14(1 Feb being my birthday).I must say that ever since I laid my hands on the Saturn port of 2097/XL,I was hooked to WipEout.I still am today,but not without a long(sort of)stop of WipEout as a "lost" memory.My love for WipEout was rekindled by PurE.PulsE and HD(with Fury) also sparked off my own fanfic of another AG-Racing League(The CX-70 AG-Racing League). And I have loved WipEout again and ever since.Since I am just a 14 year-old,I am willing to bet 1 million US dollars that Sony will not listen to me.Anyway,I wish the disbanded Studio Liverpool good luck in their future endeavours!!!
Thanks for all the gaming memories and games,Studio Liverpool!

zerojay
1st February 2010, 06:05 PM
Hi everyone. I thought I'd give you my perspective as someone that's been in the gaming industry for about 5 years so far. (And no, not with SL/Sony.)

First, I don't think we need to worry about the future of the Wipeout franchise. Sony has always known that it's been a big series for them and Sony using Wipeout HD as a showcase for what PSN and the PS3 can do should show you they value the franchise and always have. We haven't seen the last of Wipeout.

Second, I doubt that anyone at SL will have a hard time finding a job, especially with the UK being such a strong center for gaming and there's always the hotspots over in North America as well. They're mostly experienced professionals so most shouldn't have a problem getting picked up and working on new projects as soon as possible.

As someone that went through having half of his coworkers axed and feeling like I lost half my family, it's incredibly hard going through this situation. Those that were axed feeling freaked out and shocked and those left behind possibly feeling an overwhelming sense of guilt... "why them and not me?" (I came home that night to find out my father died that same day, so... no... wasn't too much fun.)

One thing that I've really loved about this community, whether you loved or hated the changes made through the series, is that you've always been incredibly supportive of the people who helped make them, being a pillar even during these troubled times. Thanks to people like you, they can always look back at the work they did with pride no matter what happens. That means a lot to anyone working in the games industry.

To anyone from SL that's been laid off, send me a PM and maybe your job search might end early if you don't mind coming across the pond.

Chill
1st February 2010, 07:38 PM
From Vector speed to Phantom, anyone can put themselves into a state of zen with this game. I don't think any other games out there can come close to this. The serious gamers will have to confirm that for me.

Well Guitar Hero and Rockband have a zen feel to them as well, but WipEout was definately the first!!! Also agree with everything else you said of course... ROCK ON!! :rock

DividedXZero
1st February 2010, 11:30 PM
Well I've been a WO pilot since its PS1 debut. That game along with Ridge Racer is what made the PS for me (nostalgia). But WO-XL is when i got extremely hooked. I grabbed WO3 and Fusion upon release..always craving more. The main reason i got a ps3 prior to WOHD being released..
And that's when it happened...SL made a dream come true...
After so many years of beating the AI, being the only one that i knew of that could pilot an AG craft....SL put me up against all the other AG pilots and wipeout fans out there, from all over the world...

Ha..i thought i had the advantage...so gullible thinking i was but a small percentage of those who knew wipeout. Little did i realize the extreme meticulous and calculating pilots Wipeout had bred through its many variations.

I was left on the starting grid, but it was a dream come true! :D

(then i got pure and pulse :rock)

So to everyone at SL (from past to present)...
Thank you all for everything, for continuing the franchise as long as you could. Your fans and supporters appreciate all of your work and passion.

Best of luck to all of you...

Z°ⁿε
2nd February 2010, 03:10 AM
great series. Next ps3 WO release should be disc-based though.

Dark_Phantom_89
2nd February 2010, 10:45 AM
From my social group post:

Dear Studio Liverpool,

I would like to thank you for producing the greatest game series of all time. I have enjoyed every single minute of the WipEout franchise and am deeply saddened that it may be coming to an end. Thank you for providing me with hours and hours of enjoyment, I will always love WipEout as well as you guys for bringing it into the world.

Your loyal fan,
Dark_Phantom_89

stinkleroy
2nd February 2010, 11:33 AM
Well what can you say about news of this scale? Firstly just a big thank you to Studio Liverpool. I myself am going through a redundancy process at the moment so I can empathise with your situation, there's most likely far less emotional attachment for me though, and for that I really feel for you guys.

Wipeout has brought me so much, not just in my gaming life but also in my personal life, HD opened up the doors for us likeminded freaks to get together and swap stories about our AG experiences, and our love for this franchise. I've found some great friends and even my partner from this game and forum, so SL...you've given me more than just a game. You've improved my life :)

So to all the folks at SL, I hope with all of the nonsense you're dealing with at the moment, that you can take joy in the fact that you've given so many people hours and hours (decades) of fun and fury, and that we will keep the franchise going just by contnuing to play :nod

Thank you for ten years of AG madness. Respect and best wishes for the future to you all :)

OBH
2nd February 2010, 12:01 PM
Gutted.
The original WO was the hardest game i can remember from my childhood, and since then has been nothing but hilarious fun, frustration, and in HDs case, a few world records and a fantastic online communtiy! Even the less-than-popular fusion brought hours of quality multiplayer, and watching friends go stir-crazy as they just simply werent fast enough :)

In my eyes, HD is the best one yet. Infact i love it so much, despite my best efforts i just cant get into other racing games!!

Good luck in the future to you all.

All the best,
Haydn

siriusbee
2nd February 2010, 07:22 PM
requisite homage. make another game!

p.s. were you banned because you got rid of the ads? (this is a joke, people)

YouAreFubar
8th February 2010, 05:24 PM
Thank you SL for providing me with countless hours of entertainment in what has been my favourite game for the past 15 years from the first right through to WipEoutHD Fury (I also loved G-Police, Microcosm and Rollcage, but WipEout was by far the best). Its a real shame that whatever direction Sony pushes the WipEout franchise in future, it wont have the same bunch of passionate and talented developers behind it. And no doubt the game will suffer due to this.

Its really sad that things at SL have ended this way and I wish you all the best in whatever direction your future takes.

AUTO-PILOT
8th February 2010, 09:29 PM
Thank you, Studio Liverpool! And good luck in the future:clap

eLhabib
12th February 2010, 06:13 PM
To the guys and gals formerly working at Studio Liverpool / Psygnosis:

To see a team that created such great, creative, polished titles fall apart is really sad, and to me this means more than just (most likely) losing the chance to get another wipEout title in the future. You guys created not only the single biggest moment of fascination in gaming I have had in my life so far (the original wipEout intro which I saw on my 13th birthday), but you also layed the foundation for the way my career started out - it was the design work on the original wipEout and 2097 that captured me and ultimately made me want to become a graphic designer - which I did. As a tribute to that inspiration, I got the iconic t'' inked into my chest after I finished my master degree. To this day, I still use your work as an example of how to create a stylised yet realistic fictional setting - something that plays directly into my current job. You guys were definitely ahead of your time :clap

But apart from an amazing sense for design, Psygnosis / SL created some of the most memorable games I can think of: wipEout, Destruction Derby, Rollcage, G-Police, Colony Wars, Lemmings, Krazy Ivan (!!!), Psybadek (yes, PSYBADEK) - just to name a few. I owe you hours, days, weeks, MONTHS of digital enjoyment. I wish the Playstation brand, and Sony in general, knew how much they actually owe you - most of all for helping establish the Playstation on a hostile market, and moving videogames away from a child's toy and towards 'cool'. :clap

Last but not least, you guys (at least the few I met or read) seem like a really nice bunch, and a great team with amazing work atmosphere and great creative energy. Tony Buckley and Clemens Wangerin, which I was lucky to meet, both are really nice chaps who really are in love with their work and are passionate about showing it to the world. I've met a fair share of game developers, and few were as fun as you, like a buddy who comes over to your place and says: hey, I just got this, check it out, you're gonna love it! - and then sits down with you and actually plays against you, and appreciates your feedback.
Anyway, I really really hope that all of you who loved working together will find a way to do so again in the future - whatever will be the outcome of that, I'm sure it'll rock our socks off! :)

Farewell to former Studio Liverpool - you'll be my heroes forever :+

Hacker X
12th February 2010, 07:36 PM
Wow, after having not logged into Wipeoutzone in a while, I came here today to see if there was any news on future WOHD games, and saw the terrible news of SL team getting disbanded. Heartbroken is an understatement for me. With PSX came the WO experience which became my favorite videogame series of all time.

I just want to say THANKYOU SL FOR EVERYTHING. You guys created the coolest gaming franchise to ever grace consoles, as well as motivated me to a full love of electronic music, whereas I personally became an electronic music producer, all because of Wipeout. Your creativity with the WO genre will truelly be missed, and I honestly can say that Sony made a huge mistake and this is a major blow against their fanbase.

Thanks guys, and although your team is no more, most of us WO fans will keep the Anti Gravity culture going on this website, and beyond. Farewell, and good luck in your future endeavors.

Cyberio
13th February 2010, 01:27 PM
We have to say that the girl says to us when we win a race: "First Place!"
But not of the tournament, only from one race, i hope. Yes, i hope a new WipEout coming in the next years, no matter if it is in one year or in three, i have wipeout hd for ages, and pulse ps2 also.

Anyway, thanks Studio Liverpool.