PDA

View Full Version : How much is a DLC that would remove ads worth?

Koleax
3rd November 2009, 10:40 PM
This idea is crazy. Let me be the first to acknowledge that. However, I feel forced into this position. It is completely improper to insert television-style ads into a game a year after its release. It is multifariously wrong -- aesthetically, socially, morally, and perhaps even legally in some places.

These ads are purely about money, since they are not inside the tracks and do not affect the aesthetics or even affect gameplay at all, beyond delaying it. So, I assume the only way Sony is going to remove them is with money, which raises the question, "how much?"

I don't mean to ask this question of you, the players, necessarily. What we are willing and able to pay may not even approach what Sony can make through advertising. So, part of my question is, "how much does Sony make from each of us by advertising?"

I seriously doubt it's that much, no where near $10 per person per year. I admit to guessing at that number, but also overestimating. It might even be less than a dollar, depending on how people respond. But, Sony will probably keep the ads in regardless, since sales have already peaked for them and don't have many future sales to lose.

Still, there has to be some price they're willing to take from a consumer that makes them think, "alright, we'll take the ads out for that." I wonder what it is.

Does SL's accountant visit this forum?

IH8YOU
3rd November 2009, 10:55 PM
When this game was launched, I balked at the price (or lack thereof) - and knew it was "too cheap" then. (to sustain the franchise, and/or generate a profit)

I'll pony up $60.00USD to be able to go online with 1.26 again - ad free, and with the game that biased racing over combat.

I'll pony up $30.00USD for a commercial-free version of what we have now.

SaturnReturn
3rd November 2009, 11:06 PM
I think it's worth saving a lot of face, preventing the destruction of a long standing flagship franchise by association with such practices, and potentially avoiding loss of customers, fans and future profit, and hence they should offer it for free, ASAP. They probably won't, and if they did it might be too late. I do feel they're onto a loser with this one.

EDIT: Just to clarify that a bit further. WipEout HD was supposed to be (from what I can tell) at the forefront of the technology and demonstrate that digital download games don't have to be 'low budget', simple games. Aside from some perhaps slightly unfortunate updates, I think it's achieved what it's set out to do, up until now. It's fine that they want to establish a way forward for digital game distribution, but with the addition of the adverts, I think they've taken a showpiece and turned it into a sideshow. I think all the hard work on this game up until now is ruined by addition of the adverts, and is probably going to become one of, if not the major thing that people remember this game for. I can't help but think that's going to be far more costly to Sony, SL and the WipEout series than any revenue from these adverts could make up for.

DawnFireDragoon
3rd November 2009, 11:31 PM
well said saturn. :clap

AG-wolf
4th November 2009, 12:08 AM
I'll pay $100 to get a new wipeout game with the handling and engine physics of XL, 64, and 3 combined.

I've paid my $430.00 to play Wipeout HD- I won't pay any more money into a company that has become so detached from its once loyal consumer base that they actually expect people to respect them after all the BS they have pulled in this console generation.

if they're gonna do ads, the next DLC pack should be free. If we buy the next DLC pack, no ads.

bear in mind, people, these ads more than likely also provide income to cover your wonderful "free" Playstation Network connectivity

IH8YOU
4th November 2009, 12:17 AM
Let me interject - bringing back XL / 2097 - I will drop $100.00 for that alone, at the drop of a hat.

God how I miss thee, 2097.

DrMannevond
4th November 2009, 12:21 AM
Amen!

Koleax
4th November 2009, 12:23 AM
WipEout HD was supposed to be (from what I can tell) at the forefront of the technology and demonstrate that digital download games don't have to be 'low budget', simple games.
I don't know. I never got that impression. Like IH8YOU I balked at the price and literally thought, "were they trying to make this a low-budget game?" Even considering the distribution costs they were able to cut by offering it online, it seemed like someone somewhere screwed up.

Worst-case scenario for me is that it was their original plan to use the low price point to lure a large amount cheap-game-buying customers into a good game's installed base, then later expose them to ads for other cheap games. You see, that works as a sort of substitute for physical degradation of a game. Instead of relying on the product to wear, tear, and eventually be thrown away or forgotten, they can now introduce ads that will have the double effect of making the game obsolete and introducing the player to new ones. It makes sense from a marketer's perspective and is completely awful.

Maybe all they intended was to gently remind customers playing a year-old game that there are new games out there they should be playing. In that case, maybe they do not want my money for this hypothetical DLC at any price. They would rather I just stopped playing the game and bought a new one. That would hurt me the most.

Edit: As long as we're talking XL, make it a hi-res port of 2097 and let me use my bluetooth keyboard.

AG-wolf
4th November 2009, 02:51 AM
the problem with "bringing back xl/2097" is they can't just run it in high-res and make everything work the way it used to... Well it CAN be done, ePSXe has the ability to render stuff in higher resolution; but if a free emulator can pull it off better than the blurry stretched and NON-upscaled output the PS3 "manages," I certainly wouldnt pay $100 for it.

They need to analyze everything it was that made the old games so good, and work from there. Sure Pulse and HD have loopy tracks, AG ships that go fast, and weapons... but the physics of hurtling those machines down hills and around corners was what made it exhilarating; coming through a tight s-turn segment in a Qirex, scraping the entire edge of a banking corner in Icaras. Everything was tight, intuitive... The first three games had amazing acceleration, momentum, and speed physics too... Pure, Pulse, and HD threw all of that out the window. Collision/bumping/scraping were perfected in the first games as well- fairly balanced in their forgiveness and punishment; yet now if you so much as breathe on a wall, your ship sticks to it like a magnet and the other people on the track are gone.

i got distracted as i was typing, so im gonna stop

ProblemSolver
4th November 2009, 04:42 AM
... bear in mind, people, these ads more than likely also provide income to cover your wonderful "free" Playstation Network connectivity
Well, we don't need any dedicated servers from Sony to play WipEout HD online,
seriously. We don't need them, the leaderboard isn't working at all and anything
else is just crap. The level-system isn't worth a thing, neither are the badges.
Sorry, but that's the truth.

So I would be very pleased if they would decouple WipEout HD from the PSN
if they claim that their PC-386 consume too much resources to maintain some
small data sets.

... Worst-case scenario for me is that it was their original plan to use the low price point to lure a large amount cheap-game-buying customers into a good game's installed base, then later expose them to ads for other cheap games. You see, that works as a sort of substitute for physical degradation of a game. Instead of relying on the product to wear, tear, and eventually be thrown away or forgotten, they can now introduce ads that will have the double effect of making the game obsolete and introducing the player to new ones. It makes sense from a marketer's perspective and is completely awful. ...
Might be true. What I don't like is simply the fact that today there is no
stopping from ruin anything. They simply just don't care because there are
enough fools out there willing to buy anything.

Ads have taken over TV and ads will takeover Gaming. TV is dead, Cinema is
dead, and Gaming is next in line. I think we have about two or three years
until serious gaming / game-development is trashed altogether. The quality
of today's games are far behind of what we had in the past. Only a few games
can hold the former quality standard, but they will vanish quite soon.

I don't know, but WipEout HD might be the last Wipeout with such a quality.
And if you think about it, WipEout HD can be considered as the closure of all
previous Wipout games, i.e. I strongly believe that WipEout HD is the last
game of what we know as Wipeout.

phaeton_pl
4th November 2009, 05:50 AM
I know what you mean guys and you are all right, but...

Personaly, I don't mind ads at all, I really don't care as Wipeout HD/Fury is the best game i ever played and the price is incredibly low. Since the beginning i was wondering how they will make a profit with such a low price??

OK, there are ads in the game now, I'm not happy but the game is still as good as it was. I just hope - more money = more DLC :)

As my fellow racer klocki_LEGO said last time, "they should play some youtube vids from Yeldar, Pac or Leungbok instead of showing ads".

I lol'd but this is crazy idea :D

leungbok
4th November 2009, 06:05 AM
I thought about something like that (not for our vids, hey ^^), i heard about a stuff on X-box live arcade that could allows to see some ingame live videos (a working "spectator mode" lol), to record them and to share them with the community, it was linked with youtube if i remember well.
I saw that in a tv's feature. Maybe someone here knows exactly what it is about ?

Koleax
4th November 2009, 06:43 AM
I don't know about that, leungbok, but you can certainly share and download complete game replays through the leaderboards. DOA4, Forza 2, and Rez HD are examples off the top of my head. Not every game does, but surprisingly many. Duke Nukem 3D is another one, I think.

lunar
4th November 2009, 08:31 AM
Personaly, I don't mind ads at all, I really don't care as Wipeout HD/Fury is the best game i ever played and the price is incredibly low. Since the beginning i was wondering how they will make a profit with such a low price??

I agree Wipeout HD is great value for money, but if they didn`t make enough money then recouping it this way is not acceptable. I think the problem with accepting the presence of this type of advertising is that it is an attempt to change the very nature of ingame advertising and how far it can go. That is why so many people object - it stretches the boundaries of what is commonly accepted and justified. It changes the rules. If this is a success it will spread to all games. With Pure`s Puma packs you could feel the advert gave you something back - the DLC itself. The original game you paid for remained the exactly game you paid for. With billboards in game the advertising is embedded from the start and fits into the game world if done well.

With this HD ad campaign, it`s not so much that it ruins our escape from real life, I`m fine with real life, it`s the fact that it leaves very little time when somebody isn`t selling me something. Advertisers have found some time in our lives when they aren`t "reaching" us and this is a cynical attempt to exploit it. This shoehorns advertising into a new space and asserts that our previous belief that the "game world" is our private space and generally not open to blatant commercialization is a false belief. That`s one reason why it upsets people, I think. I have to watch an advert to play a game I paid cash for - how can that ever be acceptable? It`s the future though, if enough people accept it. People will think gaming has always been this way - you pay for the game and then you watch ads. It doesn`t have to be that way, I think.

As far as paying for a Wipeout HD that doesn`t have ads goes, I think we all already did.

infoxicated
4th November 2009, 09:20 AM
The decision that brought adverts into the game were most probably weighed up in the same way as when the Coke advertising in Pure came around and when the decision to have downloadable ships in WipEout Pulse that could not be used in multiplayer was made.

These decisions are not made in isolation. There are influences outside the studio, be it from marketing or from it being corporate policy to introduce these things.

What you have to ask yourselves is why WipEout?

Why not Killzone? Why not Little Big Planet? Why not Uncharted 2? Why not Motorstorm?

These are all Sony published titles that could equally bring product placement to the masses. Can you imagine Nathan Drake turning to the camera and saying "Hi, I'm Nathan Drake. I don't shave much, but when I do it's Gillette that I use - the best a man can get"?

What about a cut-scene in Killzone 2 where a couple of Heghast have the following exchange;

"Man, my sore throat is really hampering me today?"
"Have you tried new Strepsils? They're out of this world!"

We don't see these things because somebody involved in those games has refused to let their title be cheapened. Ultimately, the responsibility for why there is advertising in WipEout HD - a game that you've already paid good money for - lies with the Game Director and the Technical Director of WipEout.

It's their call. If they put their foot down enough and protect their game from corporate exploitation, then it doesn't happen.

So in this case - WipEout HD, the game, is a victim as well. It's been the flagship HD title that the development team have crafted to tight restrictions, given the 1080p promises that were made so early on. How do you think these guys feel - many of them probably aren't even on the team any longer - that the game they worked so hard to create is now the poster child of corporate exploitation?

Lashing out at "the developers" - that unseen, abuse absorbing entity that internet warriors love to hate - is missing the real villains in this. Why not check the credits next time you're playing the game and find out where the blame really lies?

//and now, a word from our sponsor

kanar
4th November 2009, 10:05 AM
You guys summed up the things well. I've nothing more to add, except the fact -maybe it has been said before- playstation network is free, and maybe the Hd/pulse servers are costing a lot to maintain up & ready. So these ads were implemented maybe to lower the costs. Which is not cool for us I agree.

abukii
4th November 2009, 10:49 AM
Kanar-- AGREED, brother:+

Xavier
4th November 2009, 01:32 PM
I'm embarrassed to admit that I'd pay even more than the "regular" retail price for a prepetually-ad-free Wipeout HD. Wipeout games aren't things you play for a few months and then forget about -- you come back to the again and again over the years. If the ads remain forever, I'll be despising them and refusing to buy the products they're peddling long after I would have forgotten about whatever money I spent to acquire a pristine, ad-free game back in 2009.

And Wipeout is one series where ads really ruin the experience. In a baseball or soccer game, the game is attempting to replicate the real world (and its sports leagues, athletes, etc.), so a sudden commercial just makes you feel like you're watching TV rather than being in the dugout. A minor fault compared to entering the entirely-fictional and fantastically-realized 23rd century that is Wipeout's aesthetic masterpiece of a setting, only to be wrenched back into 2009 ugliness at regular intervals. Wipeout deserves better than this.

Spilskinanker
4th November 2009, 06:37 PM
Like IH8YOU and Koleax, when I saw low price of Wipeout HD I was worried. As phaeton_pl and lunar mention, at least in the short term, it does make Wipeout HD a great value for the cost, but I agree with ProblemSolver's fear about, in the long term, Wipeout HD being the last of the Wipeout I know and love.

infoxicated really hits the nail on the head. Though Studio Liverpool takes their marching orders from Sony, after purchasing the company in 1993, Sony probably now owns the IP rights to the Wipeout Franchise. A given Sony's recent $3 billion loss, the pressure is on to make more money. So I suspect there is only so much resisting one can do.

Personally, I only play a few games other than Wipeout anymore and I've never bought a Playwhatever until Wipeout has come out for it. So in my mind, like Koleax's. I'm already paying a few hundred dollars. And it's been worth every penny. The things I have experienced while playing multiplayer Wipeout and prescribing to the Icarus motto...

There are options, a DLC version as is being suggested here, adding the ability to pay of ad free online play, allowing for P2P network play so they don't have to support servers, smarter ads (Fat Princess is the absolute worst game Sony could be advertising over and over to me), I hope someone out there wises up.

Connavar
4th November 2009, 07:10 PM
I agree with phaeton_pl, Wipeout HD/Fury is one of the best games I've ever
played, I think it's the best game I've been playing in the past 2 years, I rank it
as high as classics such as Starcraft, Counterstrike, Streets of Rage 2, Monkey
Island, Ninja Gaiden Black, Devil May Cry (1) ... the best of the best.

Having ads now is very unfortunate but at least I still have a blast playing this
game, given the choices, I take a GREAT game with ads any day over a worse
game without ads.

AG-wolf
4th November 2009, 07:49 PM
the more I think about it, the less willing I am to actually accept a possible option to "pay to remove ads" in this scenario. I would have paid more for the game outright, but at this point I have paid my $30 for a specific game and experience, it's a pretty weak move to suddenly start throwing commercials in my face... that would be like Apple or Microsoft suddenly shoving products in front of you as you browsed through files on your hard drive or iPod/Zune... you already paid for your product, why is this stuff suddenly appearing?

I only say this because I don't want some bright peppy marketing entrepreneur from Sony to pass by this thread and suddenly get a Great Idea to offer a $10 ad-removal or some BS like that

Spilskinanker
4th November 2009, 08:33 PM
I only say this because I don't want some bright peppy marketing entrepreneur from Sony to pass by this thread and suddenly get a Great Idea to offer a $10 ad-removal or some BS like that

I certainly know what you mean. Though with the trouble Sony has gotten itself into in the past with some of their shenanigans I expect, but have certainly not verified, that they have covered themselves with some clause in some EULA. If they haven't, they have set themselves up for yet another class action lawsuit.

I suspect that these ads have been in the works for a long time and the original price was so low with the idea they would be sticking ads in later. I'm not defending it, I find that sort of thing as yet another tasteless marketing trick. As with the rootkit stuff disclosure is the root of the problem for me.

If they are legally in their rights, I prefer the option for me to have input on if I see ads or not. If it costs me another $10, I'll pay it, as I've mentioned I think the price was to low. If they are not in their rights, then a class action lawsuit is the sort of thing that would be required for people who bought Wipeout HD to get a partial "refund".

ProblemSolver
4th November 2009, 09:52 PM
... I only say this because I don't want some bright peppy marketing entrepreneur from Sony to pass by this thread and suddenly get a Great Idea to offer a $10 ad-removal or some BS like that
This will never going to happen. Even if the latest advert issue wasn't
recognized by major gaming-websites, it will if Sony is going charge money
for removing the ads -- shooting themself in the foot.

... If they are not in their rights, then a class action lawsuit is the sort of thing that would be required for people who bought Wipeout HD to get a partial "refund".
We need a lawyer who reads though the EULA and file a lawsuit against Sony
and or STUDIO Liverpool, if necessary.

Do we have a lawyer on board? We can collect money to pay him / her. I'm
willing to pay about 100 EUR from my side. If everyone contributes a little
we might have a chance.

A lawsuit, successful or not, would show Sony and SL that we are not willing to
play by their tactics. And I'm pretty sure that this would draw a lot of
attention on many well known gaming-websites. Oh yes!

And I don't think we have a chance by just simply writing an article about the
current situation at hand. The ad-business is just to big to get bothered by a
small community that don't like how they get threatened by those campaigns.

Spilskinanker
4th November 2009, 10:51 PM
we might have a chance.

I'd kick in $100USD. If we don't have a lawyer here, we could always setup something on one of those donation type sites to hire one. Maybe try to get the same lawyers who handled the rootkit class action.

Koleax
4th November 2009, 10:57 PM
I'm not so sure, PS. The primary purpose of advertising is get someone's attention. If Sony thought it would get more press attention, if they released a DLC that would remove ads, I would think that they'd do it.

But, then, I didn't think they'd do this in the first place. If some marketing chap at Sony is reading this, you have a go to bring up a C-less DLC in your next meeting. Just don't mention it like that. :+

NiktheGreek
4th November 2009, 11:26 PM
There was a suggestion earlier in the thread that the ads are a way to get people to move on from Wipeout HD to other games. Under regular circumstances I could understand the suggestion of planned obsolescence, as the game has been out for some time now and evidently still enjoys some popularity.

However, this seems at odds with the recent release of Wipeout HD on Blu-Ray, which surely must have been in planning at the same time as the adverts. The profile of the series seems to have enjoyed a bit of a boost - and the retailers seem to be taking notice, as I noticed today that GAME features Wipeout HD in the Christmas catalogue. While some may grudgingly accept advertising in digitally distributed games, people tend to expect different standards from boxed releases (even if they are on the cheaper end of the scale). Sony must expect some influx of people who bought the game at regular retail, and as a result I can't understand the timing of the decision to introduce ads at all.

I don't yet own the game, but I can honestly say that the whole advertising business has made the game a less attractive proposition.

Koleax
5th November 2009, 12:24 AM
I agree, Nik, and I mentioned it as a worst-case scenario. Not that bad, admittedly, but enough to drive me away from the PS3 after a few months. Like Spilskinanker, there are only so many Fat Princess ads I can take.

Also, the impact of the Blu-Ray version is not something I can easily notice, since it's not being released in North America. That reminds me of another thing that puzzles me. When did the Wipeout market become so Eurocentric? Or, when did they start losing the North American market? Wipeout Pulse for the PS2 not coming to North America, along with its PSP DLC, at all. Very unfortunate, but I guess that's a topic for another thread.

AG-wolf
5th November 2009, 12:55 AM
well to be fair, Wipeout has always been a "eurocentric" franchise... the US has (unfortunately) never embraced it as much as most of Europe. XL was the biggest hitter over here, and by the time Wipeout 3 came out, people had lost interest in the series and the concept.

to be honest, for as much of a Wipeout junkie as I was back in the day, I missed Wipeout 3's release completely and only found it AFTER it became a discount used copy with no manual in the clearance basket at a video store :/ ...if that kinda puts any perspective on the impact it had.

Koleax
5th November 2009, 06:13 AM
That's too bad. I didn't own a Playstation, but I could tell XL was huge and 2097 on the Mac was for me a dream come true. I guess it was a very hard game to follow, wasn't it?

Back on topic.

Ultimately, the responsibility for why there is advertising in WipEout HD - a game that you've already paid good money for - lies with the Game Director and the Technical Director of WipEout.

Why not check the credits next time you're playing the game and find out where the blame really lies?

Game Director
-Name Deleted-
Technical Director
-Name Deleted-

stinkleroy
5th November 2009, 07:07 AM
Hmm I normally don't mind advertisements to be honest but on playing HD last night I see what you guys are talking about. These ads are loud and intrusive and completely unfitting to the style of the game. If the ads were silent and static I wouldn't have a problem, but this? Well it's just annoying.

I saw the advert for Rocky on blu ray about 15 times in a row last night...grrrr.

Sort it out Sony!

phaeton_pl
5th November 2009, 07:09 AM
We need a lawyer who reads though the EULA and file a lawsuit against Sony
and or STUDIO Liverpool, if necessary.

we might have a chance.

A lawsuit, successful or not, would show Sony and SL that we are not willing to
play by their tactics. And I'm pretty sure that this would draw a lot of
attention on many well known gaming-websites. Oh yes!

I hope you are joking my friend. :eek

If I would be an SL employee, after reading your posts about leaderboards, glitches and ads I would loose my interest in doing anything for "Wipeout community".
I don't know how long this game was developed but since it was relased (1 year) we got BIG DLC, few patches, many bugs is removed, they are working on leaderboards for sure. I don't think that all they do is thinking about making more money.

You want people over here to start some actions AGAINST Studio Liverpool or Sony??? Like your idea with putting records on AP ZONE leaderboards? They give you a game you play over and over and all the feedback they can see is "this is wrong", "they are lazy", "lets start some legal actions", "fix this, fix that or... "

What about opening your own studio and creating a better game to prove they are loosers?

P.S. I'm not going to discuss here as i don't have time really. I'm just sad when i see inscreasing "hate level" on this board.

Spilskinanker
5th November 2009, 07:40 AM
They give you a game you play over and over and all the feedback they can see is "this is wrong", "they are lazy", "lets start some legal actions", "fix this, fix that or... "

I wasn't given a game, I paid for it.

Gusto-Pastel
5th November 2009, 08:40 AM
Okay, so, we're all in agreement - the ads in 2.10 suck. So why haven't we started forming a massive angry mob and kicking somebody's ass for this? I mean, there is nobody in this forum who's pitching a tent over the prospect of watching ads in their loading screens, so why haven't we started doing something about this? I'm not saying we should go out and sue Studio Liverpool, but I think we have the right to be pretty damn pissed off at Sony for putting ads into a game that we paid for! We didn't pay to sit there and look at ads, okay?

Connavar
5th November 2009, 08:48 AM
Again I'm with phaeton_pl, no need to be aggressive. About such a DLC that
removes ads, I would pay 2-3 euros. Legally I don't know how it works, I could
ask a friend, I think they should at least give us a hidden option somewhere, to
disable them, for free, most people won't notice it, but we will :)

phaeton_pl
5th November 2009, 10:04 AM
I have nothing personal against ProblemSolver. He brought a lot of good stuff to Wipeout community (by setting the limits for ZONE mode). I just think he's too serious about some things. We shouldn't overreact because it could be much worse, like this for example:

In October 2008, billboard ads featuring then US Democratic Presidential candidate Barack Obama appeared in the game Burnout Paradise, which was first released in January. Electronic Arts, the game's publisher confirmed that the Obama campaign paid for the advertisements, marking the first time that a US presidential candidate has bought in-game advertising.
source: wikipedia

ProblemSolver
5th November 2009, 11:25 AM
@phaeton_pl: Well, a possible lawsuit against Sony or SL isn't against an
individual person of either of these companies. Don't mess those things up,
there is a clear difference here. I don't call any person, but I do call the whole
corporation to show them that I and many others here are not willing to accept
how things are done. And if you are fine with a game that doesn't even satisfy
its own specification (you already paid for) and with all the ads and stuff, then
you are either a lucky guy or you simply just don't care that much.

AG-wolf
5th November 2009, 11:45 AM
Obama presidential ads in BO: ParadiseFirst of all, the ads in Burnout Paradise did not detract from the experience in any way, shape, or form. It's a game where you drive every square inch of a city- and if anyone has ever driven a car in real life, you see billboards and advertisements. Not only were there the Obama billboards for a short while, Doritos, Vizio, and a couple other companies have had their name in the game from day 1. The ads do not sit there in your face, they don't cause loading delays, they actually make the experience more immersive, if anything.

we got BIG DLC, few patches, many bugs is removed, they are working on leaderboards for sure. I don't think that all they do is thinking about making more money.
They give you a game you play over and over and all the feedback they can see is "this is wrong", "they are lazy", "lets start some legal actions", "fix this, fix that or... "For the record, we paid for the DLC; and any patches, bugs & etc are obligations of any game company with their product. We shouldn't have to pay for something that was their oversight in the first place (which is why the patches are free)- subsequently I don't see why we should be overwhelmingly grateful either since some things were glaringly obvious to begin with and there's no way that bug-testers could have missed them. That's not to say people aren't at least appreciative, because I do like a game that works properly, but the point remains I'm not gonna kiss someone's feet for bug-fixes.

RedScar
5th November 2009, 12:48 PM
When this game was launched, I balked at the price (or lack thereof) - and knew it was "too cheap" then. (to sustain the franchise, and/or generate a profit)

I'll pony up $60.00USD to be able to go online with 1.26 again - ad free, and with the game that biased racing over combat.

I'll pony up $30.00USD for a commercial-free version of what we have now.

QFT
I can't say myself would be willing to spend this much more money on it unless they can fix the online issues completely, but this is what they should have set it at.

Spilskinanker
5th November 2009, 05:11 PM
The SCE at the start of Studio Liverpool's full name stands for Sony Computer Entertainment. http://www.worldwidestudios.net/liverpool

Koleax
5th November 2009, 11:10 PM
Lawyers have everything well-protected and I don't support any kind of litigation. Even if I did, though, I'd appreciate it if that topic could be taken to another thread.

Despite how brazen this ad-insertion is, we should not start a mob, I think. If we can take infoxicated's word that -Name Deleted- and -Name Deleted- are personally responsible, spread their names. If you have their contact info, it might be worth it to send them advertisements with the attachment "at least you didn't pay to receive this" or something equally reflective.

I am not angry at the company. I think this brilliant game was inexpensive and I'd have no problem paying closer to what I think the game is worth without ads.

Please bring it out in a timely manner, SL. As time goes on, I have no choice but to associate the above names with Fat Princess.

Wipeout as well. Very sad.

SaturnReturn
6th November 2009, 12:21 AM
Koleax has one very good point. We've all let this thread get off topic in quite an extreme way, and very few have even answered or addressed the original question. The whole notion of ads and whether they are appropriate or legal is not what this thread is about and discussions around it are already present in at least two other threads I believe. So let's at least try to steer this one back to answering the original question.

DawnFireDragoon
6th November 2009, 01:17 AM
on topic:

it's not worth anything, because the f$%ing things shouldn't have been put in to begin with! If they had the nerve to charge for something like that, this forum would probably explode. They should be removed in a free patch issued to everyone, along with a good explanation and apology!!! ASAP.

The idea of dlc that removes it, is priceless.

SaturnReturn
6th November 2009, 02:48 AM
Some posts from this thread have been deleted. In addition, names of individuals mentioned have been deleted due to the potential for implications surrounding their mention.

Those posts deleted were off topic and did not help get the thread back on track, although they were, in essence, well intentioned.

If anyone wants to generally discuss the overall issue as to the legality of post-purchase introduction of adverts to games, then Spilskinanker has created a topic for that here:

http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?p=157112#post157112

Please keep that discussion informative only, and this one on topic.

siriusbee
6th November 2009, 10:19 AM
What you have to ask yourselves is why WipEout?

Why not Killzone? Why not Little Big Planet? Why not Uncharted 2? Why not Motorstorm?

Perhaps Wipeout HD is the proverbial goats that are staring at men. Coming from Liverpool and all.

krioto
6th November 2009, 03:21 PM
Please remove this advertising crap from a game I've already PAID FOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is shitting me to tears - I can't chill out and relax playing wipeout without the some stupid prats advertising brain-child thrust at me between each race.

This is how you get people to hate your products, not buy them - stupid stupid stupid, but hey, that's sony

jimsin
6th November 2009, 03:51 PM
Just for the record (and to keep on topic) - I would actually pay for DLC that would remove the adverts ... because I love Wipeout HD and I loathe adverts! However I would feel completely ripped off as a result - and that would be almost as depressing as the adverts themselves :(

Reezy
6th November 2009, 03:58 PM
I would not pay for a DLC whose only purpose is to remove ads.
I think it's going a bit too far discussing lawsuit action right now.
I think it is a good idea however to make people (who don't play wipeout) aware that this is happening (in game ads), to be wary of the possibility that more games in future will also have disruptive advertising, and to express our views that we are not happy about it.