PDA

View Full Version : Pop up stopper

infoxicated
6th December 2002, 08:17 AM
I know Lance has mentioned software that deals with this before, but recently I've been trying http://www.panicware.com/popupstopper.html and it works really well. You have to remember to hold down the CTRL key if you do want to open a pop up window, but other than that it's pretty painless.

It has a little system tray icon that you can click on to disable/enable it, it's free and doesn't include any spyware or adware.

Try it out and see for yourself :)

Wamdue
6th December 2002, 09:56 AM
uurgh, the irony, if a pop-up stopper comes with adware/spyware
I´ll try that software

spooky
6th December 2002, 12:01 PM
That actually works ;o) Nice one!!

infoxicated
6th December 2002, 12:25 PM
Told ya! :D

Lance
6th December 2002, 01:50 PM
yep, you'd be amazed at what EZ-board looks like with a really complete filter program. i use Proxomitron [version Naoko 4.3, though a new version has recently come out], a free program, and contains no adware/spyware. it stops pop-ups, and banners, and has other optional controls to stop animations, embedded music, different kinds of javascripts, page referrals, etc etc. all of it optional on your part. it's a dial-up surfer's dream. a program like this blocks the entry onto your comp of stuff you don't want to waste time downloading, and keeps sites from taking data from your computer. minimises to the system tray. this is the home page addy:
http://www.proxomitron.org/

the Opera browser has now got a lot of that functionality built into it as well, though back when i got my computer 3 years ago, it didn't yet. the Mozilla browser also has some controls built in, though fewer of them, but they are more difficult to change, and consume a lot more of your time to change than Opera does. don't get me wrong, Opera is not perfect, it's just the best that i've found. [Possibly the new version 7 that is now in beta wiLL be perfect. ;) ]

Wiseman
7th December 2002, 04:34 AM
So they're getting ready to come out with version 7 then? Cool. 8) Opera is my only companion through the dark allies of ez-land

Yes, pop-up blockers are your friend, I wouldn't even go to ezboard without one. :lol:

Lance
7th December 2002, 05:33 AM
Opera7 beta1 v2 is already available for download, ive been using it for a few weeks. there are 2 bugs [don't switch between author mode and user mode] that i've found, and some of the usual functions are not linked yet. the new rendering engine does dynamic immediate display, instead of waiting till everything is formatted in memory before display. so it seems even faster than before. it seems to work without flaw, and it is the major new component, the whole new base of the rewritten browser, so any crippled bugs should be flying right soon. Opera is probably the quickest software developer i've seen. the Mozilla group has gotten very efficient also over the last few months, making great progress, though still well behind Opera. well ahead of IE, though

xEik
29th January 2003, 05:31 PM
I just downloaded the final version of Opera 7

The 'Open requested pop-up windows-only' works great. I don't remember if it already was there in 6.05 (I think it blocked all pop-ups before) but now is sweet.

The browser still displays some weird things sometimes like the text box in Wipeoutzone reply form (it's the same colour as the background) but I guess it's due to the template since the official phpBB board shows different colours for the text box and the background.

I still have to really discover things like mouse gestures and all those, though.

PRACTICE LEADS TO PERFECTION !

Lance
29th January 2003, 07:26 PM
i stopped at 6.03, but i think all versions of 6.xx offered only 3 pop-up control options. block, accept, or place in background underneath all other windows.

reply background color? hmm.. i've not tried 7 on wz yet, but 6.xx shows white textbox background here. so does mozilla 1.21. let me check....

ah, you're right; with 7.00 Final, the textbox background is exactly the same colour as the general background around the reply panel. version 7 has extensive support of CSS2 as well as CSS1, so possibly that is making the difference, or the more complete DOM support or the html 4.1 support. dunno. Rob would be likely to know
7 has been rewritten completely from the ground up. i'm amazed it works so well in it's first version. i've been discovering a couple of sites where it's the only major browser i have that does work correctly, and i've got a lOt of browsers! the weird thing is, that on those sites, the simplest and fastest and smallest browser [ half a meg] that i have [OffByOne {yes OB1, kenobi}] also works correctly on those sites, which are very new and up to date in their coding, but the little fella doesn't even have javascript or CSS support of any kind!!! totally strange. and it's a self-contained browser that does not operate as a shell while using the IE core. [which i know because A: it handles every function differently while using a different access path from ie, and B: its cache actually works correctly while my copy of IE has its page caching system corrupted by Netsonic, a spyware program that i got just after i first got my computer and didn't know about spyware. the thing didn't totally restore the system when it was uninstalled {yes, i did use uninstall; i didn't just remove the folder}. otherwise my IE functions as designed.
btw, OB1 is the only browser i've had other than Opera that allows you to zoom the images. it is so different from everything else, mostly to save program size and increase speed, that it has little quirks, which you do get used to, of course, if you use it with any frequency instead of saying to hell with learning something different. of course, there are things it can't do, and sometimes you just have to do those things. it doesn't cook my rice very well, so i use the microwave for that.
but anyway, overall, Opera 6 and 7 function better for me than all the rest. i am still amazed that Opera has more features than the other browsers, but does it all with only 3.25 megs instead of 8+ like ie, mozilla, and ns. i see that a max installation of ie 6 can run over 40 megs :o :o :o

xEik
29th January 2003, 09:10 PM
I chose the version that came with Javascript and it takes 13 MB :-? . As if I cared, specially when my CounterStrike installation takes 1.11 GB. :( :P

AmishRobot
29th January 2003, 11:21 PM
I started using Opera 6 early last year, and I've been on v7 for about a month. So far, outside of a couple useablilty quirks and a couple crashes (far fewer than IE in the same time frame, though), It's been flawless for me. Even switching between user and author modes works fine on my machine (the 'nostalgia' mode is awesome). Anyway, the pop-up blocker and cookie management works beautifully, and the few sites I visit that didn't work in v6 now work fine, so Opera has officially become my main browser. When the final comes out, I'm actually going to buy it.

One more thing, whenever I do use IE now, I keep getting annoyed because the mouse gestures don't work! :lol:

Lance: You may have already tried it, but AdAware may do a good job of getting rid of the pieces of Netsonic that the uninstaller didn't get. You might also try RegClean.

Lance
29th January 2003, 11:25 PM
i already had JRE2 1.4, so i don't bother till there's a substantial upgrade to JRE. you'd have to do that whatever browsers you use if Java is important to you, though. but you only need the one copy for all browsers to access. i still have all my earlier versions of JRE on the HD, even though it's not important to me :roll:

xEik
29th January 2003, 11:35 PM
The more I use it the more I love it. If it weren't for the fact that some sites are only IE compliant I would definitely abandon IE but I'll keep it as a side browser for the moment.

By the way, Infoxx dot com is a bit messy with Opera 7 ;)

Lance
30th January 2003, 03:33 AM
hm.. odd. when i made my last post, it showed up right behind xEik's, and i didn't even see yours, James.
i've used both Ad-Aware and SpyBot many times, but this has nothing to do with the spyware portions; those were removed by the uninstaller. the problem is that NetSonic establishes its own cache system, and does it for all browsers on the system. at the time, ie was my only browser so nothing else was affected. when i try to manually reassign the cache folder, as ie has a dialogue for, ie then refuses to allow any change in that box, stating that one must choose a value between 0 and 1 for the size of the cache, and no matter what is entered continues to give the same message every time the ''ok'' button is clicked. to re-establish the proper cache, i would either A: have to offload several gigs of files i wish to keep, and reinstall windows from the beginning, because ie is integrated with win98SE and cannot be simply uninstalled and replaced. [yes this is what the huge lawsuit between bill gates and the u.s. government was about], or B: install a later version of ie, which 1: may not work if it simply adopts the cache of the version it is installed over, and 2: which is not going to happen because i'll be damned if i will install any MS software that can't be uninstalled. it's mY computer, not bill gates'. and besides, ie is simply not good enough to satisfy me

i've never understood why many people, such as lots of commenters on download.com, feel that they must use only one browser. as though they could not just pop up a different one in a few seconds and go with it for whatever special qualities it has. i sometimes have 3 browsers running concurrently. why choose to think of it as an either/or choice when you can have all of whatever you want?

infoxicated
30th January 2003, 08:31 AM
>By the way, Infoxx dot com is a bit messy with Opera 7

infoxicated.com is suffering from the fact that for the last two and a half years I've done nothing but intranets that only have to be viewed on that company's standard browser. Usually IE.

So all my cool web developer skills of making things cross-browser have been on the wane for quite a while.

Fortunately I'm giving the site an overhaul at the moment, with comment adding features and other odds and ends. I'll probably download the latest versions of all the leading browsers for testing when I'm done with it :)

Lance
30th January 2003, 03:22 PM
xEik: i just noticed that you said you chose the version that has javaSCRIPT. maybe you meant to say just java. as almost all browsers do, Opera has javascript support in every version. what they put in the large package is the Java Runtime Environment, which you only need to run java programs. javascript support is there in Opera whether you download JRE or not. Opera just offers JRE in a combo pack for those users who don't already have a recent version of JRE on their comp. JRE has nothing to do with the browsers directly, it's just something to make java applets on some websites work, or to run some cross-platform programs like certain versions of limewire that are written in Java

xEik
30th January 2003, 04:01 PM
You're right I meant java not javascript. I guess I needed some sleep when typing that. ;)

Two days after install I'm already trying to do mouse gestures in other programs or while browsing my system. Oh no! Those Opera zealots turned me into one of them. :cry: :roll: :P :lol:

Lance
30th January 2003, 08:27 PM
:D :D :D
yes, indeed! yEEhah!

Dragon
31st January 2003, 11:34 PM
Sounds good, i'll have to ask my dad about d/loading this first, this is his comp, but i will get mine soon, i have $327.75/$500 to save up for it. My sis can get a big discount since she works at a computer place (not sure what one). Oh, Infox, my e-mail is dbracer003@comcast.net if u want to send me the file and i can save it there thx.

infoxicated
1st February 2003, 12:39 PM
The file is on the site mentioned above for download, Dragon - I have no intention of mailing it to anyone.

Dragon
2nd February 2003, 07:54 PM
k, my dad said i can try it when i get my new comp, it might be a while, but my comp will be better than this one. Thanks anyway Infoxicated.

xEik
14th February 2003, 02:09 PM
7.02, 'the borked release' is just hilarious.

infoxicated
14th February 2003, 02:43 PM
Yep - classic stuff at http://www.opera.com/pressreleases/en/2003/02/14/

Lance
14th February 2003, 04:16 PM
[and possibly even more entertaining than michael jackson. but i actually like mj]

lol
yeah, i just downloaded that version today. a 'must have' opera fanatic's edition

aahhh, BG and MS. never a dull instant

infoxicated
14th February 2003, 04:24 PM
"instant" - a Lancism for "Moment", fact fans! ;) :P :lol:

Lance
14th February 2003, 05:14 PM
:D i live faster and have less patience for boredom than most people. i notice mere fractions of seconds! the weird thing about that [okay. one of the weird things] is that sometimes i can just zone out and watch the progress of music downloads while idly thinking of very little

xEik
14th February 2003, 05:47 PM
If that's true Phantom should be a piece of cake for you. ;)

Someone speaking a language derived from latin won't see barely any difference between moment and instant. :P

Lance
14th February 2003, 08:18 PM
mere quickness of mind and impatience are no substitute for hand/eye coordination and consistency of concentration

over the last several decades, in America [united states of], the word moment has come to be associated with periods of a minute or so [''i'll be back in a moment''] while instant has become associated with something that happens like the first flash of lightning, instantaneously, right now, immediate

xEik
14th February 2003, 10:28 PM
Yes that's why I said 'barely'. An instant has a slightly different connotation from a moment in the sense that it is shorter. But both of them are quite common.