PDA

View Full Version : 2009-09-22: We are moving host

infoxicated
22nd September 2009, 01:53 PM
Over the next couple of days we'll be moving to a new server.

This will cause disruption due to the fact the forum will have to be turned off during the transition. This is to stop things getting all out of whack due to time differences between the current host and the new one - nothing I can do about that, so please bear with me.

Or bare with me, if you like... nothing wrong with getting nekkid while things are a bit up in the air. :nod

Anyhow, I'll be copying the forum over to the new host tonight and once that's done I'll lock it down this one. There's currently >230Mb of content on the forum - with a little luck it'll make it to the new server unscathed. :)

Lance
22nd September 2009, 01:55 PM
lol. "bare". :D Although relative to the move, I guess that's "defininAtely" a "sepErate" issue, "to". ;)

Only 230 MB? I guess I thought it would be more with the memberfiles on the non-forum portion of the "sight".

mdhay
22nd September 2009, 02:12 PM
Only 230 MB? I guess I thought it would be more with the memberfiles on the non-forum portion of the "sight".

It's actually suprising, considering the amount of posts here. What are these memberfiles you speak of? I'm sure I know, but I can't remember for the life of me.:)

Lance
22nd September 2009, 02:18 PM
The members on the main site have a moderate amount of space on the WZ server to store their own pics and such.

mdhay
22nd September 2009, 02:25 PM
Oh, like attachments? That'd explain the size of the content.

Edit: I know what you mean now. Silly me.:dizzy

infoxicated
22nd September 2009, 03:46 PM
I'm just talking about text content above, which is pretty large because text compresses a lot.

The actual files take up quite a bit of space, too, and I'd forgotten about the files hosted on the main site. Moving might well break that, so I'll need to take a good look at how it can be re-implemented on the new host, as I had to set it up in a particular way on the current server.

It might be that those assets are the last thing to make the transition, because my focus will be on the forum initially.

mdhay
22nd September 2009, 04:13 PM
Yeah, the forum is proabably the first thing that should make the transition - I don't think anybody would be miffed if the file storage thing took a bit longer.:)

stin
22nd September 2009, 04:21 PM
No Zone for couple of days!:robot, got a helpline for addicts?:lol

Not a problem mate.

stevie:)

Aeroracer
22nd September 2009, 05:11 PM
why are we moving to new server..is this going to make things better for the site..:nod

KIGO1987
22nd September 2009, 05:55 PM
No Zone for couple of days!:robot, got a helpline for addicts?:lol

Not a problem mate.

I survived for 24 days quite well, its possible:g

infoxicated
22nd September 2009, 06:36 PM
why are we moving to new server..is this going to make things better for the site..:nod
1. Because the old server contract is being terminated.

2. Possibly.

Darkdrium777
22nd September 2009, 10:14 PM
Well now it's done. Seems to be working again.

infoxicated
22nd September 2009, 10:18 PM
^ Not entirely.

Right. Well. That went a bit more rubbish than I hoped.

So we're still in the same place as we were when I shut the forum down a few hours ago.

Essentially... well, something went wrong with the database export and I waited it out for a few hours because I thought it was doing something. It wasn't. But then it did. So now I have a database export and no time left to import it onto the new server because I want to go to sleep.

I'll have another go tomorrow night and hopefully I can make it happen. Until then, carry on as normal.

Oh, it would help if folk emptied out their PM boxes of old messages they don't need - the table that holds all that stuff is 10Mb by itself and it'd be a good place to trim some fat.

Darkdrium777
22nd September 2009, 10:22 PM
Oh... That sucks. I'll work on my PM box.

KIGO1987
23rd September 2009, 01:44 AM
done:)

stin
23rd September 2009, 08:35 AM
Ok, I will do that till I get home from my work!

KGB
23rd September 2009, 09:02 AM
Deleted :)

Zoth-Ommog
23rd September 2009, 09:11 AM
Did my part as well ;)

Rapier Racer
23rd September 2009, 11:09 AM
*Wonders off to vast mountain of PM's...*

And away they go.

stin
23rd September 2009, 11:17 AM
Job`s done!:nod

eLhabib
23rd September 2009, 11:41 AM
Wow, had no clue there were close to 300 messages on my profile! - deleted.

lunar
23rd September 2009, 12:37 PM
Top tip for PM deleting: there is a button to select all on the page and you don`t have to spend a very long time clicking on them all individually like some pilots may have done after coming home from the pub a bit worse for wear :paperbag

infoxicated
23rd September 2009, 12:48 PM
Heh!

I had to do that the other day for about 60 temporary tables that the forum tagging system created during a hissy fit. Couldn't just select all of them because there were tables we needed mixed in there... t'was tedious.

Anyhow, just to be clear I'm not telling you all (or y'all, depending on where you come from) to mass delete all your messages - just those you don't consider important. :)

Rapier Racer
23rd September 2009, 03:52 PM
It was actually quite interesting reading through some of those old messages right from when I first joined.. :nod

Lance
23rd September 2009, 03:54 PM
I started reading my enormous backlog of PMs from oldest forward to selectively delete some of them, ..... and... and... I j u s t c a n ' t ....
It feels like I'm destroying the history of the WipeoutZone if I delete anything. Is there some way I can autosave ALL of my inbox and sentbox on my own computer in some form that would be readable in the same way as it is now live on the forums, as though it were a functioning site where I can click on the message title links in the index to read the individual messages they refer to?

Darkdrium777
23rd September 2009, 04:13 PM
Saving so it looks like it is live is impossible AFAIK, however you can download them all as a text file which I find is the best format to display them (Tried them all, opening Excel doesn't work quite as well.)

infoxicated
23rd September 2009, 06:39 PM
Look, don't sweat it if you can't face deleting them - I'm gearing up to have another go and a few Mb here and there isn't going to make any difference right now. :)

Darkdrium777
23rd September 2009, 07:41 PM
You should try and do this overnight while you sleep. If you've already dumped the database then there is no need to take the forums down again, and when you wake up that database will be uploaded to the new host...

That is if you have the database... Which I'm not so sure of anymore.

infoxicated
23rd September 2009, 08:29 PM
If I didn't take the forums down then the site would go out of sync.

The dump taken of the database is out of date as soon it's done if I don't shut off the forums.

So if I used the dump from last night, none of what was posted today would show up when we switched hosts.

Darkdrium777
23rd September 2009, 09:19 PM
I see... Well you can start whenever you want then...

infoxicated
23rd September 2009, 09:28 PM
Thanks, I've been waiting on the green light from you. ;)

infoxicated
24th September 2009, 07:40 AM
And here we are... :)

eLhabib
24th September 2009, 11:06 AM
*claps frantically like some people do when their plane has landed*

Lance
24th September 2009, 11:46 AM
Bravo for a job well done,

ACE-FLO
24th September 2009, 11:47 AM
Rob, I'm viewing the site from my PSP and it seems the images in user albums and those uploaded in social groups haven't uploaded? I can't see them. Logo/Emblem images for social groups work, but those images uploaded by group members don't.

Thought you should know! Cheers Rob!

djKyoto
24th September 2009, 01:08 PM
Was just gonna mention what ACE-FLO said. My user album pics are blank.

I'm sure it's not a big issue tho. :)

infoxicated
24th September 2009, 01:13 PM
That should be fixed now guys - I hadn't changed the path and they live in a different place on this server.

Good catch ACE-FLO :+

infoxicated
24th September 2009, 01:47 PM
Right, there seems to be an issue with staying logged in to the main site - I'll try to get that sorted as soon as I can.

OBH
24th September 2009, 05:18 PM
ive deleted my cache but every now and again im taken to the "we are moving host" page again. Not sure if this means anything to you :)

infoxicated
24th September 2009, 06:09 PM
It's been happening to me all day, too - you're just bouncing off of different name servers. They're like big directories of site names and the real computer addresses of where the sites live.

So, if you're seeing the notice about moving, you're getting to the old version of the site from a name server that isn't up to date. Normally it takes a couple of days before they are all updated.

Lance
24th September 2009, 07:32 PM
That's not happened to me yet; maybe it's because I'm in the US instead of the UK and thus get a different set of servers when I come here.

Darkdrium777
24th September 2009, 08:33 PM
Thanks, I've been waiting on the green light from you. ;)You have? It's not like I'm the most important person on this forum here (At least I hope I am not, I've done some pretty rubbish things tbh...), I thought that would be you making this decision... :s

Lance
24th September 2009, 09:26 PM
secret subtext commentary

Darkdrium777
24th September 2009, 09:32 PM
"secret subtext commentary"

what? He wasn't writing in white, I quoted his post in entirety...

You are confusing me more and more everyday :?

KIGO1987
24th September 2009, 10:32 PM
Ditto Darkdrium

----

This new server, the costs much different from before??

infoxicated
25th September 2009, 06:22 AM
I got a good deal, actually, so it's quite a bit cheaper for the first year at least. The forum license is up for renewal next month, so it's good to save a bit of cash up front.

eLhabib
25th September 2009, 09:26 AM
Baffling how some people seem to be utterly insusceptible to sarcasm... :rolleyes:

Darkdrium777
25th September 2009, 11:10 AM
Dude, where does it say I live?

k thx.

OBH
25th September 2009, 08:33 PM
Wierd! I can only access the site if i go directly to a thread url. main url always keeps me on the "changing server" message.

q_dmc12
27th September 2009, 05:29 AM
Dude, where does it say I live?

k thx.

Mt. Real:P

Lance
27th September 2009, 05:38 AM
Hm... let's see; that means that Dd777 has a native language other than English. That might explain. Um... wait... eLhabib lives in Vienna and his native language isn't English either. And stevie's native language is Scottish! ;) And uh, mine is American, sorta. And Mano's is uh... Spanish, Peruvian style. And ... damn, we're a mixed lot.

eLhabib
27th September 2009, 09:46 AM
héhéhé

(I really like se french laugh I learnt from Arnaud, sounds so evil when you read it ;))

KIGO1987
27th September 2009, 12:01 PM
Hm... let's see; that means that Dd777 has a native language other than English. That might explain. Um... wait... eLhabib lives in Vienna and his native language isn't English either. And stevie's native language is Scottish! ;) And uh, mine is American, sorta. And Mano's is uh... Spanish, Peruvian style. And ... damn, we're a mixed lot.

Australian's have a very colourful language, not colorful though ;)

ACE-FLO
27th September 2009, 12:39 PM
Quad-Lingual, Me! :)

and I happen to be the fastest Indian on the Pulse circuits :rock

on topic - I swear this site loads faster from my psp, since moving host! :) lovely! :)

KIGO1987
27th September 2009, 12:44 PM
i thought you where a Paki Ace.

BTW you should get one of those small Laptops that run on XP and have little Atom processors on them. Can type quicker and do more things with them :D

ACE-FLO
27th September 2009, 01:12 PM
Yeah, well "Ace" has been mistaken for an Albino too...

Pakistanis are Indians with attitudes! :D and have honour killings in their culture. Toilets above their houses. And Afghanistan as a neighbour... EEEEK!

Anyway Mr Kigo - post your pic already! I'm starting to think you're a fraggle. :D

KIGO1987
27th September 2009, 01:17 PM
What the **** is a fraggle?

I thought Paki's where Muslims and the Indians where Hindu's.

No im not posting my photo of myself anytime soon Ace, some people here have creeped me out a bit, thats all, the rest are cool :D

ACE-FLO
27th September 2009, 01:28 PM
No Kigo, you're getting nations and religions confused.

India has a very large Hindu population, Muslims are 2nd largest, followed by Sikhs, then Christians... then finally, buddhists and rebel Jews, who just happen to be planning their next zeitgeist. :D

Pakistan, Mostly Muslim, then Christian followed by Hindus and a certain Osama Bin Laden + crew!

Lance
27th September 2009, 03:16 PM
ahem... yes... well.. The site is loading very well from the new and radically cheaper host, which presumably runs multiple virtual servers on just one actual one.

mdhay
28th September 2009, 06:12 PM
That's a good thing, right?

Lance
28th September 2009, 08:04 PM
Well, it's certainly cheaper. ;) Using virtual servers means that if a whole bunch of different sites are being accessed by several people each, then the server can hit its load limit pretty quickly, hence slowing everybody down. There can be substantial delays while you sit in a queue waiting to get a datastream. Or if it's organised differently in a multitasking datastream where everybody gets a few datapackets before it starts giving a few datapackets to the next one of the group of users, then it could take forever to load a page even though you get the page load started earlier. This one the WZ is on, seems to give you the entire page in one go, but may sometimes have a bit of delay before starting the datastream to you. At least that's the way it seems to me, but wtf do I know?

omega329
8th October 2009, 04:29 PM
Glad to see the transiton passed witout major problems :+